AX10G Review

manufacturer: Korg date: 05/13/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Korg: AX10G
The new AX10G is a compact multi-effect processor that packs a ton of dead-on amp and effect models generated using Korg's highly acclaimed "REMS" modeling technology. Plus, it also comes with a built-in expression pedal for realtime control of your sound.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.4
 Ease of Use: 8.5
 7.9
 6.1
reviews (12) pictures (2) 14 comments vote for this gear:
AX10G Reviewed by: Dammit Missed T, on june 01, 2005

Purchased from: Music Shop

Ease of Use: It will take a good couple of weeks too get fully used to the controls on this pedal, but once you master them, it's pretty easy to shape your tone as you would like. The manual is pretty good, nothing special though, but generaly fairly helpful. // 8

Sound: I use it with a Kustom 10W practice amp or more often my Peavey Basic 60 Bass amp (which gets used with a normal electric). I usually use my Vintage Metal Axxe Razer with it, and it sounds pretty good to my ears in general, however if you are after very heavy distortion, don't count on this unit, it's pretty good when it comes to lower levels, but the stronger, more saturated distortion tones are fairly awful. The effects built into this pedal are pretty good - the chorus, phaser and pitch effects are the ones I use most often, and they're pretty good for a multi-effects pedal. The Wah is alright, but I wasn't all that impressed with it. It'll do to tide me over for a while, but eventually I'll be getting a Morley to get the tone I'm after. It's possible to get a wide range of tones here, such as Black Sabbath, bluesy crunch type distortion, or cleaner stuff like the Chilis. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've recently found a problem with this - having had it about 10 months, it seems to have stopped working on batteries, I have no idea why, but I will email customer services about it. Apart from that, I've not had any problems with it. I wouldn't probably gig with it, but as the backup, rather than without one. I would prefer to get a bunch of separate stomp boxes to get a better tone, but money is short! // 6

Overall Impression: I play everything from System Of A Down to Robert Johnson, and this pedal handles most of what I do well, except the heavier end, for that I tend to use either a Russian Big Muff or a Boss MT-2. I've been playing about 14 months, and I've outlined most of what I have already. Apart form that, I have a Westfield Strat Copy and I'm borrowing a Spider II 212 from our bassist (had it a couple of months). I wish I'd tried out a few different pedals before buying the AX10G as I'm not too happy with the Wah's range, but generally for a Multi-Effects unit its pretty good. If it was stolen now I would not buy it again, as I don't need a lot of what is on it, and so I would probably just use the insurance money top get a couple of stomp boxes or something, and also, the tone is good, but not great, so I would look for something a little better. Overall I'm impressed by this, but I wish it had a better Wah Range, and a better heavy distortion, as the heaviest distortion on this is just too trebly for my liking. // 8

AX10G Reviewed by: daralrmatic, on january 30, 2006

Purchased from: Key-music

Ease of Use: This is a realy easy to use guitar effect unit. The function button is also realy easy to use. The manual is very good, it describes all effects, there's also a guide in it about how to make a cool sound. // 10

Sound: I bought this effect unit to improve the sound of my amp, that it didn't really do. The effects are perfect but you can't really push more out of youre amp. So you need to get a good amp first and later the effects. What's brilliant on this korgax is that it hase noise reduction so you dodn't hear those buzz anymore, and you still have an insane distortion. The effects really sound brilliant much beter then the digitec guitar effect series (you can change speed, depth of each effect). // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would use it on a gig but first I would buy a new adapter cause the adapter I got with it sucks like hell. When you even bend the cable a bit the effect unit just cuts out of power. But the unit itself is really durable and reliable it let it fall, kickt it and it still works fine. What bothers me is that the pedal is made of plastic but it didn't break yet but I wouldn't put much weight on it. What also bothers me is that it takes a few seconds to start it up (when you activate it, it like first has to "warm up" and only after 10s you have sound) so when it falls out of power on a gig you are f--ked. // 6

Overall Impression: I mostly play metal. But the good thing about this unit is that you can do so much with it. The effects really are the best you can get in its price classe. If it were stole I would electrify the person who did it an let him buy a new one for me. I sometimes hate that you can change so much on it so sometimes you have a bit to much options but then again you still have the manual that explains how you have to create your sound. But this effect unit is really good you can play music like it sounds on CDs from Jimi H. to Metallica to Pink Floyd to Lenny Kravitz. What you don't have to expect is support from Korg my adaptor was broke and they repared it but it's still broke. So don't overpay for a Korg adaptor when you just can buy a cheep adapter that probally works better. // 10

AX10G Reviewed by: AdamDK, on july 22, 2006

Purchased from: Live n' loud (Local Store)

Ease of Use: The AX10G model is very easy to function with, and is easy to change the effects with. The Expression pedal is easy to use but can be annoying as it is plastic so you have to be careful when using it. The Manual is very detailed and describes quite a few effects which you can create using the AX10G. // 8

Sound: I'm using a Blaze Stratocaster Copy, and an Kustom KGA10FX amplifier. When I run the AX10G through my amp, I get amazing sounds. The delay feature is fairly easy to use, and has a great sound on it. There is though, a little too many pre-set settings which use rotary a lot, but just Switch off the rotary or change that effect and your fine. The chorus is fairly decent, but could be made better, and the Distortion on many settings is fantastic. I play a lot of Guns N Roses, Hendrix, and some punk rock, and I get great sounds for that. The delay can easily match up to the sound Slash has using his delay, and when you want to play Hendrix's material like Purple Haze, etc, put the amp setting on fuzz. However, the WahWah sound isn't too pleasing, and could be a lot better, but it does the job and that's what matters. All in all, the sound is very good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: You can definately depand on the AX10G for a gig. This would be my first choice for live gigs. Just save the settings you choose, then at a gig, you could easily change settings. I would probably take a backup incase the power tripped on the AX10G, although this hasn't heppend to me ever. // 8

Overall Impression: The AX10G is definately a good match for me. Like I stated earlier, I play lots of Hendrix, GnR and some Punk Rock, and it just rocks. Even when I'm improvising I can get great sounds from the AX10G. I've been playing for nine months, and this is definately my best buy. The effects are outstanding. If my AX10G was stolen or lost, I'd definately buy another. I love the Distortion, Delay, and although it isn't too much of a good WahWah sound, the WahWah still rocks. The WahWah is an Vox I think, and I can get Hendrix style WahWah sounds from it, but it's not as good for my GN'R material, etc. I don't have anything I hate about it really, it's the perfect thing for me. I haven't compared it to other products but have heard some other products like a Boss Guitar Effects, and the AX10G, to me matched up to it, if not showed Who was "Boss". I wish that the AX10G had a CryBaby WahWah instead of Vox, and I wish there wasn't as many effects using Rotary a lot. All in all, this is a fantastic must buy for Guitar Players. It's the perfect box for a new guitar player as it is so easy to use. I give it 9/10 overall. // 9

AX10G Reviewed by: Ibanez_90, on june 11, 2007

Purchased from: MusicStop

Ease of Use: Within 10 minutes of plugging it in and given the manual a glance, I had about 5 different patches saved and was playing away. It's a very simple Machine to use, regardless whether you know much about guitar effects or not. Editing patches is about as simple as it can get. Turn some knobs and press some buttons to get the sound you want and then just press write. The manual clearly explains what everything is and really you don't have to read, the thing is so simple to use. // 10

Sound: I'm running it into a 200 watt Fender Eighty-Five amp and I'm using an American Fender Strat and sometimes an Epiphone Les Paul. First when I bought the AX10G I only had a Jay Turser strat copy and with the cheap Pick-ups on it and everything, the sound wasn't very great, only on clean settings. The guitar upgrade really helped. It can be noisy at times(max comp, max gain, and using one of the distortion amp models). Some effects sound good such as the chorus and the u-vibe and a few others, but there should be more variety with them other than just depth and speed. The reverbs are good but I think the delays should be stronger, like the slapback. I pretty much play all Chili Peppers and it works decent with them, except for the Wah pedal, which blows. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had any problems with it yet but in all honesty it is made out of plastic. Just how can you stomp it until it breaks? If there's one part on it that I would worry about breaking it would be the expression pedal, it's not very sturdy. If you treat it good, I can't see where there would be a problem with gigging without a backup. // 7

Overall Impression: I play altern rock and for the clean sounds, this pedal works pretty good and even some of the distortion sounds are what I need. I've been playing for about 7 years now and I've gone from Brad Paisley to Chili Peppers and now I'm in a cover band. The AX10G is the perfect pedal to start out with and figure out what several effects there are but eventually you will have to upgrade. I now have the AX1500G and I expect I'll follow up with the 3000G (might as well try all the korgs and then I'll change to Line 6 or something) Before buying it I would have asked if you could put more than one mod effect or more than one ambience effect on at the same time, because that aspect is very limiting. if it were lost or stolen I wouldn't buy it again because I have the 1500G. I love the fact that there is an expression pedal. I use it as a volume pedal alot. I hate the wah effect, it isn't of good quality. I didn't compare it with anything when I bought it because I was on a low budget and I'm only a student. All around good pedal though. // 7

AX10G Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 31, 2005

Ease of Use: It depends on how you want to obtain the sound. You can choose to modify the sound from the presets, or you can make up your own sound from scratch. There are alot of different modulations, ambience and amp types to choose from. As I don't own the amps available, I wouldn't know if they sounded as good as the original. The manual is sort of helpful and it is in multiple languages. // 8

Sound: I use this effects pedal with the common squire strat. It may suck, but I guess the guitar doesn't make the player... Anyway, I also use a Fender Frontman with Overdrive. The pedal also has a volume knob, so you can double the volume of your amp, same with Overdrive, trebal etc. The effects sound excellent, especially the phaser and flanger, but there are some odd ones like the feedback and acoustic. it doesnt seem to make a difference and the acoustic sounds noting like an acoustic. more like a guitar with no bass, mid and heaps of trebal. It includes a control pedal for the wah which is 'supposed' to model the sound of a Vox Wah. There is a clever thing with the wah where you can set it to make the wah sound louder by the strength of your picking. Nice. The pedal also can be used for volume, modulation speed and ambience speed. you can easily get the sound of bands like powderfinger and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, which are my favourite bands. It can be trouble banking up and down because you have to step on it with some force and sometimes it can hurt your feet if you are bare footed. Personally, I don't thing that there is enough room to place your foot. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The pedal can use either 4X AA batteries, or a 9V adapter. I would depend on it because it is my only pedal, but the banking is difficult and you cant be sure if you pressed up or down because of the inadequate space. If you are using it on stage, for a number of hours, or for everyday, I suggest you use the adaptor, because it can eat up the batteries pretty fast. // 6

Overall Impression: I prefer to play rock and roll and funk - Red Hot Chili Peppers and Powderfinger. This pedal is excellent for them. I have been playing for 3 years and own a squire strat california and a Fender Frontman 15W amp. If this product was stolen, I would find the person and smash them. It would be along time before I got another pedal. I would probably get something else. This pedal is also a burden to carry around because of its shape. My favourite feature about this pedal is the many effects obtainalbe and especially the Wah. // 8

AX10G Reviewed by: Burpbelly, on august 02, 2005

Sound: I use my Epiphone LP special II and a Zoom Fire 30 amp with this unit. I have also run both my Crafter FX 550 and my Peavey Milestone II bass through it into a peavey micro bass amp. I have no complaints with the sound although I find it is very difficult to get a uniform sound pattern throughout the different patches. I was impressed with the range of effects and they all sounded quite good. Again no real complaints. // 8

Overall Impression: I really like this effects pedal. It's my first pedal but I know about effects because I've had my Zoom Fire 30 for quite some time, and I can comfortably say that the effects of the amp are easier to use but the pedal gives more variety. I like the 'talk' modulation, which, if you set it up right is the thing Bon Jovi always use. The pedal is good value for money and since money was an object when I bought it I think I got a bargain. If it was stolen and I still had a tight budget I would probably get another one. However preferably I would get a few stomp boxes, because I don't use half the effects on the unit, as with playing mainly Oasis and RHCP you don't need that may effects. // 8

AX10G Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on november 14, 2005

Ease of Use: It is very easy to get good sound out of it. You got this little knob that you can set certain settings on like UK '70s, UK '80s, Fuzz etc. The manual is the only reason why I can work this pedal. I don't know the firmware revision number on this thing. // 10

Sound: The guitar I'm using with this pedal is an Epiphone SG Special and the amp I'm using is an Traynor Reverb Mate 30. It can get a little noisy but thats if I turn the amplifiers distortion on to. The effects are great. I can get the sound of my favorite artist they are: Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Iron Maiden, Exodus, Slayer, Diamond Head, Holocaust, Black Sabbath, Black Label Society, Metal Church, Kreator, Overkill, Sepultura, Testament. The two effects that to me work the best are flanger and phaser. the effect that works the worst is the Tremolo. The rest are okay. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this pedal. I would definatly use this pedal in a gig without backup basically cause this is my only pedal. // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal, thrash metal and speed metal. This pedal is a great mtch for those genres. I have been playing for about two years and other hear that I own are planet waves cables. If this was stolen or lost I would find the person who took it then I would whack them over the head with the pedal. I don't hate anything about it. My favorite features would be the flanger, phaser, pitch 1, and filter. I compared this pedal with the DigiTech Death Metal. This pedal was better. // 10

AX10G Reviewed by: boredretard, on december 06, 2005

Ease of Use: It has too many rotary sounds. The best effect for me is bank 61 which is distorsion but it's really hard. Mostly for metal. Doesn't fit my style but it's cool that you can edit the sounds and its really easy. The wah sux. I never use the expresion pedal. The manual is reety short and it doesn't have stuff about how to make effects but its really easy so you can figure it out for your self. // 7

Sound: It has lot of amp models (around 11). It has fuzz, recto, ac30, ac15, UK modern tone. It's really noisy. I play it through a Roland Cube 15 and I put the amp on 1 and it sounds like its on 7 or something. The wah is pretty weak. I don't use it. I really like the talking effect. The thing that sucks is that theres only echos for modulation and I don't like echoing. I really like Kurt Cobain's sound and I can't get it from the AX10G. I play with a Squier Strat (crap, don't buy, ever) the chorus is bad 'cause it doesn't do anything. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I never did gigs. I don't have a band (I really want one but in my school don't play any instruments) it never broke down. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly Grunge and hard rock (Nirvana, Black Sabbath, Led Zep). I've been playing for bout a year now and I got this thing in august (I think). The thing is that it was so cheap that I bought it without tryin it out. Try before you buy it I dont recomend it to advance players. Only beginners. I wouldn't buy it if it were stolen or lost. I think I'm gonna sel it when I get a DS1. // 6

AX10G Reviewed by: Johnny Blade, on june 09, 2006

Purchased from: Buzz Music

Ease of Use: This takes a little bit of fiddling around to work out how to use everything properly but it dosn't take long and the manual is very helpful. It explains all the different amp styles and what they are. Very easy once you get the hang of it. // 9

Sound: At the moment I am switching between 2 SGs an Epipone Custom SG and a Gibson Tony Iommi SG. The amp is a Laney GH50L 4x12 cabinet. The only effect that I don't like in this unit is the wah effect. It is supposed to be the same as a Vox wah, but it dosn't sound like one to me. I play Black Sabbath and my own music, I only usually use the chorus and delay effects. I always use the chorus and a slapback delay on just about every song and extended delay for some solos. I have tested all the effects though and they are all very good except for the wah. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it. I probably wouldn't go to a gig without a backup though just to be safe, this thing is only made of plastic and could be broken if dropped or stood on to hard. // 8

Overall Impression: This has all the effects that I will ever need so I am very happy with it, and for such a low price you can't go wrong. I have been playing for 6 years now and own many other effect pedals. The only ones I still use are my Vox Brit Boost and a Zakk Wylde Wah. If it were lost or stolen I would buy another one for sure. I did compare this with a DigiTech unit but it was more expensive for virtually the same thing. I am happy with it. // 9

AX10G Reviewed by: glynicus25, on march 06, 2007

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: This is both easy and hard to use. Choosing the right amp to model and right effect/ambience and combining them is easy, each has a dial. However editing them further is fiddly and not particularly user friendly. The manual is basic. // 7

Sound: I bought it to use with a Marshall-Park practise amp using a Westfield les paul copy and it obviously improved the sound. I bought it to replace a Zoom 505 mkII because that had broke and I wanted an expression pedal (bad choice, the pedal is superflous and) I wish I had bought another Zoom with an expression pedal. I have since bought a Vox modeling amp ADVT30 and this gives me the same amps/effects and a better sound, rendering this next to useless. The chorus and Distortion on this are particularly bad. Clean sounds also suffer, ESP acoustic emulator? // 5

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't take this to a gig, if I do get round to joining a band and gigging again I'd buy something else, Line 6 POD maybe, another Zoom? It probably would stand up to the abuse as long as you didn't spill stuff on it. // 8

Overall Impression: As I play a lot of stuff this doesn't give me enough sounds or enough desire to want to mess about any more with the patches. I've been playing for 13 years and had my Zoom for the last 8. I wish I had got another one or tried a Line 6 or Boss. Still the Korg was fairly cheap. The one thing I do like on this is the equaliser dials, if you are using an amp without them it it handy to have them. If stolen, I would shrug and plug straight into my Vox ADVT30. no-one else would notice it was gone. // 6

AX10G Reviewed by: Jesus freak 2, on september 21, 2011

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: This pedal is pretty easy to use as long as you read the manual. The dials are a bit hard to read, but if you are setting up the sound for a slot then you will be pretty close anyway. But they still should have colored the dials black with white letters instead of silver with white letters. // 9

Sound: I use it with my strat, les paul, or my silvertone. Run through a Squier SP-10, a Pignose 30/60, or my Line 6 Spider III. It is only noisy with the talk mod if I do not have the noise gate on. The Digital Delay is not very good. The clean channels usually get a lot of feedback unless you have it at low volume. The acoustic thing just sounds like a clean electric guitar. There is one amp on it that gets that classic rock trebly sound, a couple that get a slightly deeper sound, and a couple more that have a lot of bass. I would suggest using an equalizer pedal with it, I am not sure what it would change because I don, t have an equalizer. I am not sure what to say about the Wah wah, because this is the first one I have ever used. But overall most of the mods and reverbs are pretty good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I do not really like that it has a plastic construction but it just sits in my room anyways so I am not too worried about it. If I ever went on tour I would have my brother make an aluminum construction for it and I would probably have a backup for any foot pedal I used. If I was just taking it back and forth to church (I don't because our music leader does not let us use distortion, and the clean channels on it get lots of unwanted distortion) I would Just make a case for it, because the plastic is pretty durable. // 7

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, christian rock, and christian contemporary (at church). This pedal does pretty good for that. I have been playing For about a year and a half, and I know several good musicians who would not be playing if I had not started. If it were lost or stolen I would probably get something nicer. I really like the UK modern amp simulator. I really Don't like that it gives unwanted distortion on the clean channels at high volumes. It is good for beginers and people with tight budgets like me, but if you have plenty of money get a nicer pedal. God Bless. // 8

AX10G Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 13, 2013

Ease of Use: Bear in mind, this is discontinued. I hope Korg and other manufacturers read these reviews for future offerings. I bought the AX10G because I wanted a Pandora on the floor. It's probably more complicated than the Pandora than it is advanced in features, so that's a slight knock. One critical feature though is the Amp/Line switch; if you're going to use an amp, it seems usually necessary to feed it an amp-level signal. The settings are only clear up close - better save those patches. I don't like the presets. I think they should keep most of them bone-simple to highlight one or two features, but instead it becomes analytical where I say, "Oh, that's what I'll have to change to make this usable." There's usually one settings on every patch that are a deal-breaker. I still don't understand the EQ Amp Type, as every patch also seems to have a 3-band EQ. // 7

Sound: I like the Recto amp model better than the real thing. There I said it. The real thing usually sounds too harsh with a bright thickness in the mids that make me yearn for a Vox or a Marshall. The AC30TB seems too trebly for my ears. Overall it seems quiet enough to where I can't tell I need the noise reduction feature. For some reason it's easy to make your amp feedback with the Korg, even when you're not using the feedback feature. I don't know why. The feedback is kinda cool and I'm not used to it because I don't crank stacks. The acoustic simulator seems weirdly useful, but not like an acoustic guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Some other review talks about it cutting out when you bend the power cord. I don't know if that's what's causing it, but that's what is happening. You think it might be the unit failing, or a power outage, but if you unplug and replug, it comes on again. I'm new with it and pretty suspicious. Based on this alone, I wouldn't gig with it - maybe in a stretch with batteries installed. It looks metal, but it's plastic, which seems to be a lot better than looking and being plastic. Also, in the owner's manual it doesn't state the kind of power supply it's supposed to use. It's the same standard 9V Boss appliances use, but I think it requires a higher current, so I'm not using my 200mA rated Boss PSA-120T pedal. I checked on the Korg website and the power supply rates are 500mA - 1200mA. But other than this serious power issue, all the features seem to work. // 5

Overall Impression: I abandoned the Boss BF2 because I like the Pandora's flanger so much I thought it would be in their other products. That's my main time-effect (the MOD - before reverbs and delays). I like how, unlike on my early Pandora, the Compressor is optional. There are a lot of extra features I could get into if I feel like playing around. I would want another if I lost it which is a pretty high endorsement. Its main competition for me is basically other Korgs (love the flanger), and this wins for price/features/size. // 8

More Korg reviews rating category latest review
+ MA-1 Metronome 8.6 Others 01/10/2014