AX3G Review

manufacturer: Korg date: 10/21/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Korg: AX3G
These on-the-floor, foot-switchable units contain an array of 57 realistic effect types powered by Korg's proprietary "REMS" modeling technology.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.8
 Ease of Use: 7.8
 7.9
 8.3
 7.4
reviews (4) pictures (1) 9 comments vote for this gear:
AX3G Reviewed by: revolter22, on march 23, 2006

Ease of Use: I just bought this multi-effect earlier, in the afternoon. After an hour of trying it out, it's definitely user-friendly and has a nice compact design. Small and affordable, a gd 1st multi-effects user like me. There's a manual that tells basic starting up and stuff, but could have elaborated further. // 9

Sound: I'm using Epiphone G-400 with Behringer GM108 amp. Most of the effects are alrite, although some sound kinda the same as others. Still, I love the flanger, tremolo, chorus, distortion, delay, "water rippling" effect, wah and delay effects. That pretty much is most of the effects though. Like I said, this is one sweet deal. Also has a chromatic tuner in it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I guess if you don't stomp on it too hard and stuff, it's fine. Since I just bought it today, can't really comment on this. But every guitar gear has its own wear and tear anyways. By then, just upgrade to another effect. // 8

Overall Impression: I play brit rock/retro. So definitely love the modulation effects plus distortion. I still love my Boss DS-1, got this Korg 'cause I wanted more sounds and effects. Just for the fun of it. I compared it with the Behringer X V-AMP but felt that this was a better buy. It's the latest in market too. Worth to get it or if not, just give it a try to reconsider. // 9

AX3G Reviewed by: Gtr_Luvr, on august 18, 2006

Ease of Use: The effect-box itself is not very intuitive. You'll have to read the manual and it'll take you a few minutes to understand the manual completely because it is not written very clearly. But once you get the hang of it (and with time you will), this little gem will please most of you. The best part is that you can edit every parameter of every effect that you are using. Start with a stock effect that is the closest to what you want. Then edit one parameter at a time until you get exactly what you want. Then save it as a patch, you've got 40 user patches to go crazy with (plus 40 factory-set). The only reason I've giving this part a rating of 7 is because of the poorly written manual. Once you understand what to do, this is a very user-friendly box. // 7

Sound: I'm connecting my Mexican Tele to it (I know, I need a Jackson or something like that). I get really great clean sounds. Love the chorus, flange etc. But for those Who are looking for great distortion, you won't be disappointed. Even my Mexican Tele pisses off my neighbor. And combine the distortion with other effects, now that sounds sweet! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Cheap plastic (I mean cheap). As stated by other users, you probably don't want to stomp on it like those individual stomp-boxes. I never used it in a live setting, only during practice. The unit doesn't come with an AC adapter (not very nice Korg). But I use a 9V, 300mA adapter that came with my Zoom 1010. It works. // 5

Overall Impression: Another inconvenience I've noticed is that changing banks, by force, is sequential. It is because this unit only has a Bank-up and a Bank-down pedal. Let's say you're on Bank1 and would like to go to Bank3. You'll have to go though Bank2 (no way around it, sorry). Overall, as a practice unit, this is great... especially for the price. This can easily be your starting effect processor and you'll love it. If it was stolen, I probably would be sad. But I won't loose any sleep over it because for $70, I can just buy another one. I like the Drone effect in it, lets me play some freaky stuff. Hate the sequential bank-change thingy. Love the last few pages of the manual, shows you all the parameters of all the effects (big list). Makes me feel like I bought a $300 processor. I did not compare it to any other processors. The price was what got me inside Guitar Center. And I'm glad that I have it. // 9

AX3G Reviewed by: BFMVxx, on september 22, 2008

Ease of Use: This is not the easiest pedal to use at first. It took me about 1+ hour to work out how to use it. After you work out how to use it then the fun begins. It has 40 free spots to make effects. So you just choose the effect, how powerful you want it to be and save it. Easy. The manual gives you a solid understanding of the basics of it, but it could have been better, but most manuals are basic so it was no problem. // 8

Sound: I use this pedal with a Cort G290 and Laney LX65R, it makes it sound great! It only has a slight buzz all the time, but it isn't that noticeable. The effects on this are awesome, you can change the amount of the effect so you can get it just right. Since it has a lot of different distortions/cleans you can get basically any sound you want. Certain effects I have made, like distortion with just a bit of echo sound good. You can't really get a bad sound off this pedal unless you put a few bad effects together on the one patch. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its plastic, so it's not that tough. You wouldn't want to step on it too hard. I would use it at a gig, but I would have to tape the power lead to it, as when you step on it, it sometimes loses power because the cable moves. I would depend on it anywhere. // 8

Overall Impression: I don't have a set style of music I play, I play anything from any genre. This pedal has impressed me many times since I have gotten it, with the great sounding effects to the easiness of creating a good sound. This is my first multi effect pedal so I can't compare it to others, but it does beat my other single effect pedals in sound. If it was lost/stolen/broken I would give it a second chance. it's just so easy to use and not much to hate about it. This was a surprise present from my parents so I couldn't compare it to others, but it's good for the money. // 9

AX3G Reviewed by: Brobidus, on october 21, 2011

Price paid: A$ 100

Ease of Use: When you set this pedal up, the first thing you'll notice is that amount of presets. The presets are easy to work with and there are many of them. The next thing, is creating your own preset. It gets harder at this point. You'll work it out in around an hour but it would help if you have the manual, it goes much quicker this way (I didn't look at the manual straight away). After that, make sure it's connected to your guitar and rock on! // 7

Sound: I use it with my Collins LP Replica and an older Laney amp and I must say it sounds amazing, definitely worth the amount I payed for it. The only downfall with this pedal is the buzz on distortion. On my 150 Watt amp it's very noticeable but not that loud nor disturbing. A good thing about this amp is that you can tweak the sounds. Each sound has its own parameter that you can change to suit your playing. I've been able to get a few good Pink Floyd and Metallica sounds from this. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is made of plastic, so I wouldn't stomp on it, nor rely too heavily on it. It's powered by 4 AA batteries or you can get a matching 9V adapter. I use it with batteries. They run out quite quickly. Don't worry about running out of juice, because the pedal shows you when the battery's running low. I've used this in a gig. I had no problems. This pedal can survive a gig, but like I said, I wouldn't rely on it too much. // 6

Overall Impression: I play Heavy Metal with my band and I must say this has some amazing distortion effects. I haven't come across many bad sounds on it in fact, unless you put two unfortunate sounds together. I've played on a few different pedals (for around the 100 dollar mark) and I liked this one the best. It's definitely the ideal beginner pedal. If someone was to ask me what pedal was best to start off with, I wouldn't hesitate. Don't expect anything miraculous though, this pedal is quite cheap and you will find much betters ones for higher prices. If this was stolen or broken, I'd be very sad (almost heartbroken), but I wouldn't buy another one. I'd save up my money and buy a more expensive pedal (much more). I compared this with the Boss ME-25, and I prefer this one. // 10

More Korg reviews rating category latest review
+ MA-1 Metronome 8.6 Others 01/10/2014