KP2 KAOSS Pad Review

manufacturer: Korg date: 01/09/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Korg: KP2 KAOSS Pad
The super-charged KP2 KAOSS Pad evolved from the uniquely original KP1 and is packed with ground-breaking effects, new sampling functions and a host of cool, user-inspired features.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Ease of Use: 8.8
 8.1
 9.4
 6.8
reviews (4) pictures (4) 29 comments vote for this gear:
KP2 KAOSS Pad Reviewed by: Stigsi, on june 24, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: As has been said before, in it's natural state, the Korg Kaoss Pad is fairly useless to guitarists, unless you put it on a stand of some sort, it would be impossible to use effectively during Live performances. Even if you do put it on a stand, you run the risk of knocking it over and it doesn't look very professional either. However if you, like me, decide to fit the screen from it into your guitar itself, it opens up a world of possibilities, you can make uber-cool sounds really easily just by moving your finger over the screen in the guitar! As a unit, the KP2 is fantastic, it's really easy to use (and to use well), doesn't take much to understand how to operate it and it creates such different and varied sounds! A must for the rig of any Muse fans! In conclusion, a top quality product! On it's own I'd give it a 7, but with the screen in the guitar I would and will give it a 9. // 9

Sound: I use the KP2 with a heavily modified Les Paul (featuring KP2 screen within it) and a Roland VGA-3 amp. It is possible to create a wide range of sounds which, most of the time, sound great. Saying this however, some settings give a weak sound and suck tone like it's going out of fashion! So with this in mind, a bypass system (bypassing KP2) would prove useful. I like to play a lot of Muse stuff, and as many will know, Matt also uses a KP2, so for those also trying to recreate his sounds, it's a must! Mainly because you can get them spot on everytime! Generally, most of the effects are very good, but beware of the distortion, it isn't the best! // 9

Reliability & Durability: The Korg Kaoss Pad, in my opinion, is a quality product all around, "Korg certainly know how to put a product together"! It is a well protected product featuring a quality metal case, sturdy buttons/knobs and screen protectors, should you choose to use them. Saying that, I don't! So with the above in mind, I'd say you can definately depend on it. I have heard of some people having problems with KP2s however I can confirm that I have had none, a happy customer! Resultantly, I would use it at a gig without a backup however, because of the nature of the product, should something go wrong with it, you'd still be able to complete the gig without having to stop, just without the ability to create those "out there sounds!" // 10

Overall Impression: As I previously mentioned, I'm a fan of Muse so owning the KP2 gives me the ability to replicate some of their sounds. A great reason for owning one! Also, it gives the owner the ability to create other new songs/sounds and add interesting twists to their music! Were it stolen, I would, without a doubt, purchase another one because it allows you so much freedom when it comes to making/playing music! Finally, I can say that I didn't compare it to any other products but for those interested, you could also look at the Korg KP1, KP3, Mini Kaoss Pad and Kaossilator! In my opinion, a must for all budding musicians! // 10

KP2 KAOSS Pad Reviewed by: Zuka, on january 11, 2007

Ease of Use: The Kaoss Pad is a truely unique tool for guitar. After purchasing, it took me around 15 minutes to learn how it works, eventually without referring to the manual. The Manual was, well, it's a manual. Was clear, easy to understand. Very informative. As I said, it didn't take very long to get the hang of operating it. // 9

Sound: I am using the Kaoss Pad with a Gibson LP Custom, and Zoom G7\.1UT Multi-Effects. I had the Kaoss Pad built-in to the Les Paul with a helpful friend of mine. This made the Kaoss Pad much, much easier to use, due to the fact that to operate it you must use the touch-pad, which would normally have to be mounted to about chest-level to operate. There is no electromagnetic feed-back. The effects always sound powerful, and "Beefy", if you will. You can get Reverb, Delay, Flanger, and very magnificent DJ effects such as Slicer, Isolater, etc. Works very well with distorted guitar, as well as clean. The only person I know Who uses this is Matthew Bellamy of Muse. He, too, installed the Kaoss Pad onto one of his guitars. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The KP2 is very dependable. Kaoss Pads are very high quality products and though it's only been a few months with it, I've run into 0 problems. I have used the KP2 on gigs, and it worked wonders. Often the question of "What the hell was she doing??" would come up. Or, of course, "Yeah, right, that isnt guitar. It's "pre-recorded". // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock, and anything related to rock. Bizarre Genres sometimes. It enhances any genre! I've been playing guitar for around 7 years, and paino for around 10. I own a Zoom G7.1UT, a Fender Stratocaster, and an unknown Marshall amp. If this were stolen, it would mean my guitar was stolen, which is a lot of money! If I could afford it I'd buy another immediately. I love the slicing and Auto-Panning settings. They are magnifico! The Kaoss Pad needs nothing else to make it sound good, it's just so incredible! A note, however, I found that installing the KP2 into my Les Paul made it not only more aesthetic, but easier to use. This is the link I used for instructions. // 10

KP2 KAOSS Pad Reviewed by: deadferrets, on august 31, 2007

Purchased from: Turnkey

Ease of Use: After getting it home, It took me a while to get all the settings right and volume correct (so it doen't peak to often). After that it as easy as anything to work the effects, edit patches an d there is a very handy grid with all the effect numbers and what the x & y directions do for each one. // 9

Sound: I have a mexican strat going into a Marshall MG100DFX, and I have put the KP2 on its own inside the effects loop. There is no noise or buzz, but it is hard to set it up perfectly so it doesn't peak, so I wouldn't reccomend it for use all the time, as you can loose some of the high end of you guitar. The reverbs, echos (bpm ones too) are all great, the distortion and fuzz is so, so, maybe because I am using it in the effects loop, but you will need a seperate pedal(s) for those effects. The killer is the synth, sampler/looper and dancesynth. The synth is amazing, a strong clear sound you can control so well with the actual pad. The sampler/looper is okay for small amounts of use, there is not much control, but for a short riff, it is pretty slick. The dancesynth is also pretty cool, although most of the stuff on there you can hear in enter shakari songs! Still pretty fun to jam with though. I've given it an 8 because of the peaking problem. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is a pretty well made piece of kit, a couple of drops, still in perfect nick. The best part of it, is that it is so easy to take apart, so one day I can do a matt bellamy and stick th pad on my guitar! But sooner than that, I do want to mod it myself and make the hold button a pedal, thi s would be very useful as that basically turns the selected effect on and off. I would use it without backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alternative/indie rock, it works for that, but it will work for dance, nu rave, punk, and even metal. A crazy device with so much you can do. Don't bother with the KP mini, as it doesn't have any of the snth or looper stuff, or the KP3, as the synths on that are rubbish. If it were stolen I would buy a replacement, but I wouldn't hurry to do it, and would probably buy second hand as they are starting to stop doing them new. // 9

KP2 KAOSS Pad Reviewed by: evhbrianmay, on january 09, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: It took me about a day to figure a lot of it out, but even right out of the box some effects and the synths are very easy to figure out. // 8

Sound: I'm using it in the effects loop of my Carvin XV112, and if it weren't in the loop I would need to put it in a true bypass loop because the noise is noticeable... It isn't an annoying whistle hum, or typical "60 cycle", and it doesn't oscillate, it's just more of a constant white noise. - The mod effects are mostly great sounding and useful, aside from a few that if you aren't a DJ I couldn't see a use for. - The delays and reverbs are especially great, and are easy to use. - The filters are definitely interesting, and I could see how someone could put them to use. The loop feature isn't exactly easy to use or versatile, but as said in another review, works great for capturing a riff. I got it for They Might Be Giants - type noises (live "Ana Ng" ending, "Why Does The Sun Shine?", "Wicked Little Critta", so on) with the synths, and I am more than pleased, as the effects are more powerful than expected. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Everything feels sturdy, nothing is loose or seems flimsy. The switches feel nice, along with the knobs, even the trim pots feel sturdy. // 9

Overall Impression: I play in a Classic/Alt. Rock group, and it works great, even though it isn't common to be seen. I wish I knew more about how to set up midi controlling, but I'll have to look into that... My only wish is that the loop/sampling was easier to use, and that you could layer loops. // 10

More Korg reviews rating category latest review
+ MA-1 Metronome 8.6 Others 01/10/2014