Pandora PX5D Review

manufacturer: Korg date: 03/20/2008 category: Guitar Effects
Korg: Pandora PX5D
The new PX5D joins Korg's respected PANDORA series, famous for packing high-quality sounds and ease of use into a pocket size unit; easy to enjoy anywhere and anytime. The PX5D provides a total of 180 realistic and wide-ranging effects created using Korg's world-acclaimed, proprietary REMS modeling technology.
 Ease of Use: 8
 7.8
 7.6
review (1) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Pandora PX5D Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 20, 2008

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Ease of Use: This unit is very easy to use. The manual is clearly written, and the unit is relatively intuitive to use. I was able to use it from the start without consulting the manual, but after reading the manual I saw that it is quite customizable. In playing around with it for half an hour I've figured out a lot of what it can do. It can do a lot, though, so I'll probably read through the rest of the manual to find out how to customize it. Pretty straightforward though. The knobs and dials are easy to use and there are the right number of them. // 8

Sound: I'm playing a Vintage mahogany Gibson Les Paul. I went through all of the 100 preset sounds, and there are maybe 15 of them I'd use right off the bat. There are another 15 or so that might come in handy. There are a bunch I wouldn't use, because they're for a style of music I don't play (like metal) or are just weird special effects stuff. Of the sounds I would use, some of them are really nice, so I'm pretty happy with that. Also, I haven't gone through all the amp modeling yet. It's pretty flexible since you can mix and match preamps and cabinets, so I'm looking forward to that. Combined with the amp modeling, there are a lot of effects here, so you're likely to find enough that you like to make this a worthwhile product for the price (not even counting the other stuff it does). // 8

Reliability & Durability: The unit is a lot smaller than I thought, so I was concerned it might get knocked over or break that way. It's encased in plastic and very light, so I'm slightly concerned it might get damaged. It doesn't look all that sturdy, but it's hard to tell, as I've just got it. I doubt seriously whether I'd use it in a gig without a backup, pretty risky. Somebody could just knock it over or step on it and that would be it. However, I don't think it's really designed for gig use primarily, so it's small size and light weight are probably bonuses if you're traveling with it for personal use. // 7

Overall Impression: I got this for two reasons mainly: recording and practicing to improve my playing. For the latter purpose, I think this is pretty good. It comes with a number of rhythms and a few pre-programmed songs that you can jam along to using your sound/amp of choice from the effects section. You can change tempo, key, etc. in these rhythm sections. Playing along with the rhythm sections and the preset songs, I came up with a few ideas for songs and had some fun. I'm not sure how quickly this would get old, but I think it's a good way to practice. You can also just set it to metronome and adjust the tempo to practice some licks that way. As for recording, I'm just about to test it out, but I've already found several sounds that I'd like to use on recordings. With the effects and the amp modeling, I'm excited that it's going to give me a lot more flexibility in terms of the sounds I can get out of my guitar. Since it was designed with recording in mind, I think the sound should be good. I play blues, jazz and rock, and it has a few good sounds for each of these. There are two nice jazz guitar effects that I like: nice mellow sounds. I haven't started customizing my own sounds. With the level of customizability, I think that should add several more sounds to the arsenal that I would like to use. In summary, I think you get a lot for the price of this box. In my case, I got some 15+ guitar effects that I'd like to use (of the 100 it comes with), pre-amp modeling, more sounds once I customize them, and an ability to practice along with a rhythm section (you can also record from an external audio source and loop it and play along with that). There's a tuner, too. Since I wanted something that I could use for recording, occasional Live use if I had to, and practicing on my own (just plug in a set of headphones and I'm having a great time and making no noise in the house), I think this is perfect. I compared it's features and price with the Line 6 products, and so if mine got lost or stolen, I'm pretty sure I'd get this one again. // 9

More Korg reviews rating category latest review
+ MA-1 Metronome 8.6 Others 01/10/2014