PX4D Review

manufacturer: Korg date: 07/06/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Korg: PX4D
The PX4D combines both guitar and bass functionality into a single unit, and delivers a major leap in functionality as well. Its comprehensive range of sounds includes vintage amps and a wide range of cabinets, as well as effects ranging from classic to distinctively unique. The PX4D is a great choice not only for practicing, but for any situation that demands great guitar or bass sound, including recording and live performance.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Ease of Use: 8
 8.3
 8.4
 8.2
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this gear:
PX4D Reviewed by: UPxTHExANTE, on june 02, 2008

Ease of Use: It couldn't be any easier. From the moment I took it our of the box, I pretty mutch knew how to use it. Of coures I got a little cunfused when it came time for me to use the record function, but I wasn't for to long. Changing a effect/amp modle is like turning on a light switch. It really couldnt be any easier. // 8

Sound: The PDX4 delivers a versatile range of tones with numerous realistic modeling effects in addition to standards such as compressor and wah. Pickup modeling transforms the sound of a single-coil pickup into that of a humbucking pickup (or vice versa), a guitar (bass) synth that lets you play synth sounds, an smart pitch shifter that automatically harmonizes with your playing, a talk effect that produces the impression that your guitar is speaking, a slow attack effect that creates violin-type swells, a feedback effect that allows feedback playing techniques that are normally possible only at high volumes, a rotary speaker that changes speed in response to your picking or fingering dynamics, a fretless bass effect that simulates the distinctive sound of a fretless bass, and many more are all at your fingertips, ready to spur your creativity. The PX4D Multi-Effect has 200 programs, including 100 preset programs and 100 user programs so you will never get bored with this baby. I can get a old school Megadeth sounds out of this NO problem. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'V had this pedal for about two months now, and I haven't had any problems so far. The size of the PX4D makes it ultra portable. perfect for a back up when your playing Gig's. Over all it's very Gig worthy. I would use it for gigging any day. with the sounds this thing produces, I wouldn't worrie about a thing. // 10

Overall Impression: The PX4D is a great tool for just practicing along with songs or hearing what you play. Don't let the size or price fool you, you can get some awesome tones out of this for whatever style you play. Tuner isn't the best, but it gets the job done. I love playing along side the 100 different drum patterns. It just makes this a kickass tool. // 8

PX4D Reviewed by: driggsi424, on june 03, 2008

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Ease of Use: Read the review above for all of the features since I'm lazy as hell. The presets on this pedal sound good, and every setting is tweak-able with a myriad of different effects. The manual lays out all of the capabilities and functions of the PDX4 and really makes understanding how to use it easy if you take the time to read through it. The recording and jam features are a little confusing at first, but I easily got the hang of it. // 8

Sound: This is where the review will get a little strange and mixed up. I own a Gibson Les Paul Studio, Marshall MG100DFX, Cort G290, a Boss EQ and Line Selector, and Maxon Overdrive/Distortion unit. Plugged straight into the amp, the Korg PDX4 does not sound good at all. Distortions have way too much treble and everything sonuds muddy. (Some of you may say this is because the amp "sucks", but I'm 18 years old and I can't afford a two thousand dollar tube amp so please don't leave MG hating comments.) On the other hand, the sound quality is amazing when I play with a pair of headphones on and when I directly record with it. There are a ton of effects and settings that sound good and can go from being faint to insane(octave and minor 3rd harmonization settings together anone? ). It is really easy to write solos and learn songs when I just use headphones with the PDX4 - it has really become a valuable Tool for me for these reasons. So either this thing sounds crappy, or it sounds amazing to me. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It hasn't failed me yet through about two years of use. The power adaptor I bought sucks and dosent stay in the PDX4 very well so I wish this unit wasn't a 4.5V, but I can't complain too much since I use it for studio work. It hasn't failed me yet through about two years of use. The power adaptor I bought sucks and dosent stay in the PDX4 very well so I wish this unit wasn't a 4.5V, but I can't complain too much since I use it for studio work. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for 9 years and I play anything from Blues and Folk to Metal and I can easily get the sounds I want (through headphones). I don't really need to use it for Live playing since my distortion pedal is awesome and I'll be getting a crybaby wah soon - so I really like this thing. If I lost it I probably woulden't replace it since it costs a pretty good amount of money, but I definately am appreciating having it at the moment. // 8

PX4D Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 06, 2010

Purchased from: ZZsounds

Ease of Use: This pedal is good for practicing and recording, not suitable for live usage. Once you get used to its keys, Editing effects is a easy thing. Its really compact device. its better if the Korg can improved the size of tone controllers, since its kind of microscopic. The strap hanger allows me to fix it to my strap. // 8

Sound: Its doing a fair job on emulating the solid state amp sounds, In Dynamic section, you can edit the pre-gain, after choosing suitable amp and a cabinet, it allows me to edit my desired tone. It having popular stomp box effects. The reverb section allowed me to improve my lead tone. It allowed me to edit tones to emulate dual rectifier, Marshall, and Fender amps. When it comes to silicon chips tones, Korg PX4D nails the high gain stack tones well. Good for metal. When it connects with my super champ xd, the out come sound is fairly ok. This pedal having better tones than Korg Ax 3000G, but new Px5d is even better that px4d. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far I have never faced a failure. I think this will never brake, But its hard to play by depending on battery power. The battery gets dead soon. Generally the silicon chips last long than real tube units, Only thing is this effect processor have a plastic casing. In accident if somebody step on it, the problem comes. // 9

Overall Impression: I mostly focus on neo- classical metal, melodic metal, and power metal, jazz, and classical riffs. Simply for a person who have a limited budget to spend on effect processor, this is the ideal effect processor, To certain extent this emulates high gain stacks sound. You should be concerned inuff to edit perfect patches, if you are good in it this pedal will give awesome tones. I use this as a volume pedal for my amp. // 8

More Korg reviews rating category latest review
+ MA-1 Metronome 8.6 Others 01/10/2014