Distortus Maximus Review

manufacturer: Krank date: 08/01/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Krank: Distortus Maximus
The Distortus Maximus packs all the bone-crunching tone of Krank amps into a compact pedal. Easy to operate with 3-band EQ, gain, and master controls. Achieve the high-gain harmonic flavors of the Revolution 1/Krankenstein amps that other distortion effects just can't deliver. It's over-the-top insanity with the warmth and clarity you expect from Krank.
 Ease of Use: 9
 8.8
 8.7
 8.8
reviews (3) pictures (2) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Distortus Maximus Reviewed by: Dopey_Trout, on december 11, 2007

Ease of Use: This thing is ridiculously easy to use. 5 knobs (EQ, gain & volume), and a big ass Switch. This thing doesn't come with a manual but the instructions are printed on the back. Basically tturn the knob and you've got someone's sound. // 10

Sound: I'm running this with a Schecter Diamond Series Tempest Extreme into this then into a Dunlop Crybaby From Hell into a Crate GT15. My amp is shite but this pedal makes it glow. There is very little noise aside from the noise you wish to create. The effects are always solid and can give you a great volume boost on a single channel amp. I listen to bands such as Machine Head and Arch Enemy down to classic rock like AC/DC and Queen. This pedal can get it all. With the gain rolled off you've a sweet crunch perfect for classic rock and modern light rock, all the way up to heavy ass metal if you push the gain. This is, without a doubt, the most versatile distortion unit ever. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had occasional problems with this thing, but nothing too serious (most were due to stupidity). I would happily use this without a backup, and have every Faith that it will continue to serve me well. // 9

Overall Impression: My main style of music is any genre which ends in metal. I have been playing for almost two years now and am fairly proficient in a few ways of playing. I regret nothing about purchasing this product. It is nothing like (in my opinion) flat sounding Boss distortion pedals and provides a complex tone for anything you may wish to use it for (within reason, it is a distortion pedal). If it were stolen, I would find the thief and smash their head in with it (this thing is built like a tank). Combine this with a mahogany body and a big ass stack and you're in metal heaven. My only complaint (nothing to do with the pedal) is the lack of pedal types Krank produce. // 10

Distortus Maximus Reviewed by: dlmebag, on july 02, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use. It's just a box with knobs and a button. Anyone can figure it out, but getting the right tone, let alone any good tone is difficult. there's a manual printed on the bottom of the pedal, but it doesn't explain much. // 7

Sound: The sound was pretty unimpressive. I'm playing on a V100h Crate Tube, with a Dean Razorback V. My main problem with this thing is the distortion. It adds barely any distortion. If anything it's just a tone shaper. You can boost your treble and bass a good amount, but the distortion doesn't help your amp. The tone sounds nothing like Krank amps, don't buy into their scheme. It's basically an overpriced tone shaping box. The tone is warm, and decent, but hardly Krank, or even metal. If your looking for Dimes distortion look elsewhere. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Well it's a metal box with some circuitry, I'm not sure how it couldn't be dependable. it's got a true bypass in case you run out of batteries on stage. It's a well designed pedal, with an intelligent design. But then again, it's just a metal box. Not really impressive. // 8

Overall Impression: This pedal is just not worth the $150 there asking for. It's not a distortion box, but more of an overdrive pedal. If your look to add lots of distortion look elsewhere (MXR DD-11 is what you need, or Metal Muff). The only possible way I would recommend this to someone is if you could get it for a really cheap price. Other than that there are no features you can't get from a cheaper pedal, if anything, this has less sound quality than cheaper pedals. // 5

Distortus Maximus Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 01, 2013

Purchased from: 2nd Hand

Ease of Use: I always make sure that all the knobs are at noon whenever I plug any pedal for the first time and I must say, this stomp sounds great just from that setting. It has 5 knobs: 3 knobs for EQ, a master and a gain knob. I bought it used so I have no idea what comes with it in the box brand new, but all the knobs are explained on the back of the pedal. This will probably be tiresome for players who use batteries since you have to unscrew the back plate to place/change batteries. I always use a power supply so it wasn't a problem for me. // 10

Sound: I use it with an LTD Viper 401FM with EMG 81/85. I have used this pedal with Laney, Marshall, and Peavey solid state amps as well as with Orange, Fender, and Vox tube amps (Amps are not mine, those are just the amps that are usually available in events that I play in). Unlike other modern high gain distortions, this pedal gets noisy only when I go over 7-8 on the gain so I think this pedal will be quieter with passive pickups. I usually set the gain at around 4-5 o'clock so that my notes are still clear with just the right amount of gain for chugging. The EQ on this stomp is very sensitive. I am convinced that this pedal can get sounds from early rock to modern metal. This pedal can definitely produce a wide array of distortion types mainly because of its sensitive EQ. I also use this as my main distortion when making home demos and also for studio recordings. It sounds great even when it's chained to a guitar software such as Guitar Rig and AmpliTube. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have been using this as my main distortion for the past couple of years and I have no negative experiences about it whatsoever. The pedal is built like a tank. I don't know if this is true for all the Krank DM pedals, but the 2 knobs (Master & Gain) closest to the footswitch are somewhat harder to turn which for me is a plus because when you step on the footswitch and accidentally hit these 2 knobs, they won't turn as easy and change your tone. This makes it easier for my case since I sing and play guitars at the same time. // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy rock music that needs clear notes when strumming and beefy distortion for chugs. I am really happy with this purchase. I have been playing gigs with my band for 8-9 years now. I have used a lot of distortions in the past. Boss dist and ODs, Metal Muff, Crunch Box, MXRs and this is the only distortion that I have kept for more than a year. I'd definitely buy one again if I lost mine. I really love this pedal's versatility. It's a good distortion for guitarists who play different styles of music. My actual plan was just to add another distortion so that I can have an option for heavier genres but after using the Krank, I ended up selling my Crunch Box. I wish it had a boost switch but nonetheless, it's still a really great pedal. // 10

More Krank reviews rating category latest review
+ Nineteen80 Jr. 20W Head 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 05/17/2013