DM4 Distortion Modeler Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 06/09/2015 category: Guitar Effects
Line 6: DM4 Distortion Modeler
The DM4 is the first pedal to deliver a wide range of legendary distortion/overdrive-style effects in a programmable, road-ready stompbox.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Ease of Use: 8.7
 7.5
 8.9
 6.1
reviews (3) pictures (2) 17 comments vote for this gear:
DM4 Distortion Modeler Reviewed by: atticus_08, on april 07, 2006

Ease of Use: I have been searching for a good distorted soud for awhile and finally found everything I needed in this pedal. The manual is very understandable, and to operate it is even easier. This is 10 stomp boxes in one and all of them sound terrific. // 10

Sound: The feature I love most is the built in noise gate. All the distortions sound perfect. I can get an array of sounds. You could probably get any tone you want out of this thing, it's great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's built like a mini army tank. I've dropped it before and nothing happen. It's very reliable and yes I gig with it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk/hardcore mainly in my band, at home I play it all. This is a nice device for the all around guitar player. Wheather you like to shred people's faces off or get their feet tapping this is the pedal you'd want. I've been playing about 5-6 years and I am finally pleased with my distorted sound and this is more than half the reason why. I've gone through varies pedals and this is the one for me. You steal it you die! I suggest you try this one out and see what you think. // 10

DM4 Distortion Modeler Reviewed by: MegaEgga, on august 18, 2008

Ease of Use: This Line 6 distortion modeler isn't the easiest stomp box to use, that being said you'd have to be stupid not to understand how it works anyway. The manual tells you pretty much everything you need to know and I suggest giving it a read before using it because the DM4 has a few hidden features you mightn't know about (such as an alternate Bypass mode and a noise gate). // 8

Sound: The DM4 comes with 16 different types of distortion, each one is modeled off certain pedals. There's a list of the 16 different drives this pedal has and what they are based off. They all sound pretty sweet but when you compare them to the original there is a difference in quality, but that is to be expected. The two effects I use the most are Heavy Distortion (based on Boss MT-2) and the Screamer (based off the Ibanez TS-808), you can get an extremely high gain sound with Heavy Distortion which sounds great for Metallica and Megadeth type stuff, the Screamer is a softer overdrive which I absolutely love using when playing blues and occasionaly Jazz. Probably my favourite feature is that it has an in built noise gate, so if you want to you can cut out all that unwanted feedback. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank, it is made with a metal shell which defends it from even the brutal stompers. I have yet to use it Live as I tend to use my other pedals Live but if I did I'm sure I wouldn't need a backup as of how bloody strong it is. It runs on 4 C batteries. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for almost 4 years now, luckily for me I got this pedal for free (here in Australia it costs about $700 Retail price I think). It is a great pedal but if you do Live in Australia and are thinking of buying one I would definetely not spend that much money on one of these, it is a great pedal but I personally don't use it to all it's capabilities and therefore wouldn't buy it again (well, buy it for the first time) as I'd rather just spend less money getting the Boss MT-2 and the Ibanez Ts-808, the two main distortions I use this pedal for. But if you read the list of its stomp box models and loved nearly all of them then I'd say go for it. Bottom line is only spend the money for this pedal if you are really going to use it to it's full potential (unless your from America, in which case it's a lot cheaper). // 8

DM4 Distortion Modeler Reviewed by: Zombie78, on june 09, 2015

Purchased from: Music Go Round

Ease of Use: The DM4 is extremely easy to use! Hit one of the switches, choose a model, tweak the knobs until it sounds good to you, hold down the footswitch for 3 seconds (the light will flash)and your done. Pretty easy to edit. The manual tells you about the editing in more depth and it can also tell you how to turn the noise gate on and off. This pedal might not work for everyone, but it definitely should be considered for people who want a lot of tones for not a lot of money. I really wish that Line 6 never would have discontinued these! They could have come out with an expanded version or something. // 8

Sound: This can cover a lot of different styles! Anything from blues to metal distortion is possible with this. I play punk, rock, alternative, industrial, and a little metal, and the DM4 helps me get a lot of the tones I need. I use the DM4 with a Vox amp and it works great! The DM4 can be noisy on extreme gain settings, but it has a built-in noise gate to tame the hiss. This can nail almost all the pedals it models, but with more flexibility than a lot of the real pedals. Like a Fuzz Face with 3 band eq, a Tubescreamer with bass and treble control. As I said, flexible. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a 57 Chevy, tough! It can definitely take a beating in the studio and on stage! I would definitely use this without a backup. The only bad thing I've heard about is that the switches break after a while. But I haven't had any problems with that (knock on wood). The plastic nuts around the input and output have a tendency to break. It's not a huge deal but people should maybe try to find some metal nuts for it. Other than that it's a pretty indestructible little unit for the price I paid for it! Considering that fact It cost $250 new. // 9

Overall Impression: This suits my style very much. I've been playing for 10 years. I run my Epiphone SG through a Boss TU3 > DM4 > EHX Neo Clone > DL4 > Vox ADTV 30. It sounds good! If this were lost or stolen I'd be pissed because they are discontinued. I really like the tube drive model! Very amp like! I also really like the Octave Fuzz setting! It works great for industrial rock! I don't like the jet phase model. Completely useless! I own the DL4 and I love that pedal, so I took a chance and bought this one. I will say that I am extremely happy with the DM4. It's replaced most of my od's and distortions other than my Boss DS-1 & my MXR Classic 108 Fuzz. // 8

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review