FBV Express Foot Controller Review

8.6
 8.1
reviews (8) 31 comments vote for this gear:
FBV Express Foot Controller Reviewed by: Ember, on february 20, 2006

Ease of Use: 4 channels, a tuner, and a wah/volume pedal. It is made for Spider II, Vetta II, Fextone III and other FBV-compatibles. It is very easy to use. You just have mess around with it. Mine came with a simple manual, which tells you about the tuner and other little things. It is very hard to switch from volume to wah when you are sitting. // 8

Sound: I plug it into a Line 6 Spider II 112 (75 watt) and my guitar is a Gibson SG Special Faded. In theory, this is not a effect pedal, but if you want to talk about sound, then this is just amazing! The distortion is insane and the clean tone is a beauty. You can play any kind of music with it. On my Line 6, I got 12 different amp models, from clean to blues, from crunch to insane. The tuner is descent, very useful on stage. The volume/wah pedal isn't the best, and the volume pedal is too responsive but they are just bonuses that came along. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is very hard and stable. I accidently dropped it onto concrete in my basement, can't find a single scratch. I knew then that this would be a long time companion. I can definitely depend on it and would use it in a gig without backups. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and punk. This is just blend in perfectly. I have been playing for 4 years. I also own a Boss DS-1, just a simple distortion pedal and a classic. I would definetely replace it if I lost it, or maybe buy a FBV Shortboard. I just love this. Everything on there is my favorite feature. It work just perfectly well along with my other gears. I compared it to other FBVs, the price and its functions. I choose this one at the end and I do not regret it. // 9

FBV Express Foot Controller Reviewed by: aenimafist, on may 28, 2007

Ease of Use: The first thing that I like a lot about the FBV is that it goes right into your Spider or other Line 6 amp without having to use extra patchcords and such. However, the cord is huge and kind of clumsy looking and as far as I know you need to supply your own carry case. The manual is not the most complete thing in the world because all it really tells you what to do is how to use yhe tuner and I had to go online to find out how the wah function worked. Ohter than that I have been able to use the unit quite easily. // 8

Sound: Since it goes straight from amp to the floor the sound doesn't change at all and still sounds nice. When you go from one channel to another, there isn't any static or popping noises during the change so it is a nice smooth transition. There is a wah function and I had to go online to find out how to engage it and it sounds decent for an added bounus but I still may try a Crybaby or Ernie Ball, or Epilady just for the heck of it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I accidentally dropped it out of the package onto a linoleum floor when I brought it home and it didn't even scratch so I figure it has a pretty durable shell. I have been using it for quite a while now and it has never shorted out or done anything wierd so I don't think I will have to be replacing a foot controller for quite a while now. Since I am a newer guitarist and don't know as much about equipment, I would use backup. // 10

Overall Impression: The Line 6 amps are basically hardcore amps used primarilly for the more metallic side of music and since the controller is made for Line 6 amps, it is nearly impossible to even contemplate incompatability. All of the other Line 6 foot controllers have extra effects which I wish the FBV had but they don't have channel switchers. They are only for the effects you program into the Machine. I prefer being able to select my bank and use a particular A, B, C, D. // 9

FBV Express Foot Controller Reviewed by: mrxtreme_4, on september 06, 2007

Purchased from: International musicland

Ease of Use: Increadibly easy to use. Recall any four saved channels with increadible ease, and acually if you hold the button on the channel you're currently on the preset mode will go off and manual mode (whatever your amp dials are at) will kick in. But the downside is that you have to hold it for like 2-3 seconds so it doesn't switch immediatly to manual mode. So it's actually like a 5 channel footswith. To Switch to wah you have to push a little hard on the toe but it's not that bad. Nicely lit and has a built in tuner with tap tempo delay (adjust the delay just by tapping one of the switches). Manual is easy to understand but you don't really need it. And the buttons are a little close together so that's why I'm giving it a nine. // 9

Sound: I use it with my flextone III plus and strat copy and it's wonderful. It won't change your sound, or make the amp sound better, it just changes what channel you're on. Tuners great. I personally think the wah is lovely, just gives you the basic kickass wah sound. Volume pedal goes from no sound right to the max. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Seems very reliable. I did use it at a gig and always bring it to jamming sessions or anywhere I bring my guitar. Although I am getting some squeak with the volume/wah I'm sure some oil will fix that. Also it comes with a very, very long chord to plug from the amp to the pedal. // 9

Overall Impression: Great match for any Line 6 amp owners, whose amp is compatible with this product. I've been playing for about a year and this is the only pedal I own so far. However I once had a Line 6 spider III and an FBV Shortboard, but I traded those for my flextone III plus. I wanted to get the shortboard again but I realized I don't need 32 different saved channels and that usually the maximum of different channels I use at a time is 3. And if I need to change my sound completly it only takes about 20 seconds to save a new preset if you know what kind of sound you want. Obviously I wish I could save more channels but $349 for the shortboard was just too much. And for 139$ this was just too perfect, but if you have the cash, get the shortboard. // 10

FBV Express Foot Controller Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 27, 2008

Ease of Use: On This Fbv Express There Isnt Many Features; Just The Basic 4 Channel Changers (A-C), Wah And Volume Pedal And A Tuner. It Connects To The Compatible Line 6 Amps Via A Special Cable Whhich Comes In The Box. All You Have To Do It Connect It Up, Calibrate It Then Play Away. it's That Easy. The Old Manual Used To Suck But Now They Have Added How To Calibrate It In The Manual Which Also Speaks About The Tuner Etc. There Are No Adjustment Knobs To Adjust The Wah Tone So it's Really Simple. This is not and effects pedal(Except From The Wah And Volume). // 10

Sound: I Use A Line 6 Spider 3 75watt Amp With A Tanglewood Th502 And I Think This Is The Best I've Heard My Guitar At With The Sound Of The Wah On A Clean Green Or Blues Green With A Little Gain It Should Sound Like Birds In A Tree. The Pedal Never Effects The Amps Performance And The Wah And Volume Never Fail. I Can Get A Really Good Hendrix Tone Out Of My Setup. On A Twang Green With Like 5 Gain, 10 Bass, 10 Mid, 10 Trebble And No Effects.Use The Wah With This Setup To Get A Good Voodoo Child/Chile Sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I Will Alway Turn To Line 6 Because Their Products Are So Durable And Well Built. They Use Metal Framework With A Metal Case So It Can Withstand Anything That Gets Thrown At It. Id Use This In A Gig As I Have One Coming Up I Shall Try It Out And See How It Holds. // 10

Overall Impression: I Play All Sorts Of Music And This Pedals Wah Suits Every Genre. I Was Very Impressed With The Different Amp Setting It Can Mix With. From Clean To Insane It Sound Amazing. I've Been Playing For A Little Less Than A Year Now And I Also Have An Encore Guitar And A Stagg Practice Amp ( For Practice At Night ). I Also Have A Boss Ds-1. A Classic Distortion Pedal. If This Was Lost Or Stolen I'd Probly Try One Of The Dunlop Crybabys Out Other Than That I'd Buy This Again Because I Tend To Change Channels Quite Alot. I Love How You Can Just Plug It It And Rock Away On The Wah. No Setting Up Tones Or Nothing. My Favorite Feature Has To Be The Wah Because It Sound Second To None. I Compared It To An Ashton Wah Pedal But This Was 1000 Times As Good. I Wish It Had Seperate Pedals For Wah And Volume And Also I Wish It Had A Wahmmy Pedal Like The DigiTech. Which I'm Going To Buy Next. // 9

FBV Express Foot Controller Reviewed by: stratdud39, on december 22, 2008

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Ease of Use: Well, when I first got this pedal along with my Line 6 spidervalve 112, I couldnt help but noticing the wah/volume pedal squeaked like hell. After a month or so, I eventually broke it in and the irritating noise stopped. But if you don't use your wah/volume pedal on an everyday basis, it could take much longer. You could also just put some type of oil on it. A big problem I have with this thing is, every now and then if you step on one of the pedals, it wont go to the setting you want it to go. For example, I press the pedal Labeled B, wanting to go to my preset saved to B, and it takes me to A. Then 20 or 30 seconds later it takes me to B. In other words it has very late reactions. This also happens with the wah/volume pedal. I rock the pedal to the heel, and I still have sound for 10 seonds. Than eventually I have no sound. As with the wah, I rock it back, expecting that really low sound, and I'm still hearing the high sound for 10 or 15 seconds. It really pisses me off. This doesnt't happen on a daily basis though, and if I take a half an hour break it usually goes back to normal. Another problem would be turning on the tuner, which can be a pain, you have to press both the A and B pedal at the same time to turn it on, and if your not exactly at the right timing(for pressing down), it wont turn on. And yet another problem I have with this would be, whenever you Switch from a setting, it automatically goes to your volume pedal(you have to push down on the toe position to switch from wah to volume). So if your going crazy with the wah and decide to switch to anoter setting, you have to loose 3 seconds by pressing the wah again. A way to counter this would be to have a setting that already has the wah on(you can preset your setting with either the wah or volume pedal). But then if you don't want a wah for what your playing you'll have to switc to volume again. // 4

Sound: The wah is noisy, and has decent tone quality. In the hands(or feet) of a good player, it can sound good, but that's just how it is for every wah. Kind of dissapointing. If you try really hard you might be able to get that Slash wah SCOM solo down with it. This is the only volume pedal I've used so I guess it's good, I haven't had any problems with it other than what I mentioned earlier. There is one effect that I'm favorable of, and that is the tap tempo delay effect, which you can set just by tapping the pedal of the setting you on twice. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I honestly can't depend on this 100%, because of that problem I mentioned earlier, I'm going to have to see if I can get a replacement or something. The durability is pretty good, although I think one of the pedal got stuck when I pressed down too hard. // 3

Overall Impression: Well this is just a footswitch, so I bought it expecting a footswitch, nothing special. It would be nice if there was an easier way to turn on your tuner, and if you didn't hve to press so hard to turn your wah on/off. This is the first dissapointing review I have written in my life, and I actually love Line 6, so I am being brutally honest when I say this pedal should cost $50 instead of $100. If I can, I'll try to find anoter footswitch that will work with my spidervalve. And I'm thinking about buying a seperate wah as well. // 5

FBV Express Foot Controller Reviewed by: cj10schmelzer, on january 15, 2009

Purchased from: geartree.com

Ease of Use: Pretty easy to use, the pedal itself is self-explanatory. It's just your average channel switcher. The manual didn't really explain a lot, just how to use the tuner and how to calibrate your volume/wah pedal. When I tried to calibrate, when I would push it all the way down until it clicked, it exited out of the calibration, which it's not supposed to do. Also, the Switch between the volume and wah is very difficult, I have to stand up and put all my weight onto my right foot to make it change. The process of changing channels is very easy, the buttons are very easy to push. // 7

Sound: I'm using this pedal with a Line 6 Spider III 75 watt, and it doesn't really alter the sound at all. Like I said before, it's just your average channel switcher. What I don't like about the wah pedal though, is that it's not that smooth of a transition between the toe up position and the toe down position. And in the toe down position, it's just too trebly for me, but that's just my opinion. There aren't any little noises when you change between channels, which is always a good thing. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very dependable, it's pretty much indestructable. The manual says not to Pick it up by the volume/wah pedal, so I did anyway to test it out, shook it around for a while by the pedal, and it didn't break off or anything. This is perfect for gigs, as it won't break on it's way to the gig, and since it runs on the power coming out of the amp, you don't have to worry about batteries all the time. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly hard rock, metal, and blues. Stuff like Guns N Roses, Joe Satriani, Jimi Hendrix, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, etc. If I happened to lose this, I would probably buy one of the higher FBV's. Or if I had enough money, I would rather buy a great wah pedal and a great distortion pedal. It's great for someone on a low budget Who needs a pedal, but I would reccomend getting better quality pedals if you have enough money. I love how you don't need to worry about batteries with this, and how it's very durable. I hate the difficulty of changing between volume and wah. // 8

FBV Express Foot Controller Reviewed by: MetalGuitarest, on july 10, 2009

Ease of Use: This pedal was purchased so I can change my channels from clean/distorted/solo channel ect ect. I run this through my Line 6 Spider III 75 watt. Well not much more to say.. The manual sorta made me mad due to the fact it says to push pedal all the way forward to calibrate it when you first get it. But you have to like stand up and put lots of pressure on it. Just to let you new users know. This pedal was equiped with 4 channels(a+b+c+d), a volume/wahh pedal & A Chromatic Tuner(push down channel A+b) You can cycle through all your channels just to change channel banks you have to use the keypad on the amp. // 7

Sound: The Wahh Pedal is definetly not the best wahh pedal on the market and I personally just don't use it because I'm not a big fan. But if you do like the wahh noise I wouldn't reccomend this. Get a seperate pedal. The one thing I've learned with this pedal is you can not change channels to fast or else it will LAG. Otherwise it is great and has yet to break or anything. The volume pedal is great. Turns all the way down and goes all the way back up. Definetly good when you are playing a song and there is a quiet part. Instead of turning down the volume knobs(if you have 2 it can be a pain) you just use your foot on the pedal. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this pedal definetly. I've had to put some lithium grease on the pole that lets the volume pedal move up and down because it was sqeaky but that only took like 2 seconds just to take the back panel off. I would not have to worry about not having a backup at a gig as this thing will last for ever. // 8

Overall Impression: If this pedal broke/got lost/stolen ect ect. I would definetly replace it due to the fact I love being able to Switch between channels. If I was using a half stack I would definetly go with the FBV Shortboard which is the next size up from this. I would reccomend this to anyone especially a beginner due to the fact it is easy to get used to once you pass the calibration part. // 8

FBV Express Foot Controller Reviewed by: TylerM262, on june 21, 2011

Ease of Use: I bought this new from Guitar Center, Since it just switched through your spider/pods, channels (that you set to what you want). The manual, it it can be counted as one, all it does is talk about how yo plug into your and and how to plug into the computer. I had to look on the Line6 site to figure out how to change it to the Wah setting (it has a button undet the pedal that you have to click down, nearly impossible it its more than a foot from you). // 6

Sound: As stated before, you knw the sounds cause you should already own a Spider or Pod. I really liked the Wah pedal, I can'r really say much cause its my first wah. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The case may be plastic, if you drop it off a cliff or building or it gets thrown around at an airport XD united, but it feels durable, the pedal is meta with a rubber sticky thing, that seems stable. I am not going to go into the Switch from Volume control to Wah cause I really haven't had it for a month (I know I should review it then), but so far its looks like it will last. // 8

Overall Impression: Again sound is dependant upon your Spider/Pod setings. I won the Spider IV 30w. If it was stole I'd be pissed and beat the sh-t out of whoever stole it. The Wah pedal because I haven't had one before this, and the tuner Is pretty good, It reads Drop C, which is good for me. I wish it had a different way to swith between Wah and Volume. // 7

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review