Floor POD Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 11/22/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Line 6: Floor POD
Floor POD offers 12 prescription-strength amp and cab models from the critically acclaimed POD 2.0 plus amazing sounding, easy-to-use effects right at your feet.
 Ease of Use: 8.1
 7.8
 7.9
 7.6
reviews (11) 39 comments vote for this gear:
Floor POD Reviewed by: dustnbones316, on april 14, 2007

Purchased from: guitar center

Ease of Use: At first the Floor POD may be a little confusing, and as previously mentioned the manual doesn't help a whole lot. I had no idea how to activate the wah function for the expression pedal at first (when not in use for wah it serves as a volume pedal however the manual did help with that). It's quite easy to create/save patches and presets. I believe there are 64 preset slots with 60 factory set and 4 custom however you can edit all the presets as you wish. // 9

Sound: With the Floor POD I play either a Jackson dk-2 dinky (in standard tuning) or an Epiphone G-400 (usually in D tuning) through a Fender FM series 65 watt amp. Some of the distortion settings are pretty noisy (and that may be worsened by my guitars, which don't have top notch pickups). Each distortion model has two settings, represented by a red or green LED light, the manual contains a key as to what the model is based on. I stick to the classic setting on the red light and the insane setting on the green light. The effects are very powerful and are always heard (except for the tremelo, which is weak on occasion). I can get good sounds for the stuff I play. I play classic rock/metal. The songs I usually play are "Breakin' The Law" (Judas Priest), "Sin City" (AC/DC), "T.N.T" (AC/DC), "Too Fast For Love" (Motley Crue), "Shout At The Devil" (Motley Crue), "I Can't Drive 55" (Sammy Hagar), "Runnin' With The Devil" (Van Halen), "Eruption" (Van Halen) and "Ain't Talkin''Bout Love" (Van Halen). I can usually get the right sound for these songs.The best effects on this processor are the flange/chorus, the phaser, the delay, and the wah. The sweep echo is average. I would say the worst is the tremelo (although it's not terrible it's just not my favorite.) I never use the reverb because my amp has reverb built in. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The Floor POD seems very dependable and sturdy although as mentioned in the other review the knobs seem a tad flimsy. However, the Floor POD includes it's own power source so you wouldn't have to worry about a dead battery in the middle of a gig. Another advantage for gigging is a built in tuner so you can tune discretely in between songs if your guitar's tunning were to be thrown off. So I would use this at a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of classic rock and classic metal, as I previously mentioned with a list of songs I like to play. I have been playing for a year and 8 months. I also mentioned my set-up and beyond that I own a Fender G-DEC (guitar digital entertainment center)a generic bass and a Yamaha acoustic. There is not a thing I would've asked before buying this because the guy was trying to first sell me a $130 delay pedal and then a $300 dollar processor/modeler so I asked if they had anything cheaper and they showed the Floor POD and I liked the looks of it and bought it. I would buy this again if it were to be lost or stolen because I sold my other pedals ( a wah and a flanger) to reduce the cost of the Floor POD. I love the price to begin, this is a great buy for money challenged guitarists. This also packs a wallop with a lot of the effects and it's pretty simple to operate. The thing that frustrates me is how to work the alternate features (which I don't really use anyway.)I did compare this to a Korg processor (I don't remember the specific model) and ultimately chose this one because it was cheaper and seemed easier to operate with all the main features/effects of the Korg and it $100 cheaper. At my level of playing and experience I can't honestly say it's missing anyithing. // 9

Floor POD Reviewed by: byd_racer, on april 20, 2007

Ease of Use: At first glance the Line 6 Floor POD is not very intuitive. The manual is also a bit vague concerning its instructions, instead relying on a black and white depiction of the instrument that points out all the knobs, buttons and pedals with a brief overview of its functions. Most of the knobs also have secondary effects that can be utilized by also holding down the save button. Once you do get the hang of it though, the Floor POD is remarkably easy to use. It has 64 preset patches that are easily edited and you have the option of creating your own patches from scratch. Overall, once you get past the initial difficulties, this instrument is fairly easy to use. It shouldn't take anybody more than five to ten minutes to really get the hang of it. // 8

Sound: I reviewed the Floor POD using an Epiphone G-310 SG and running it through an Epiphone Valve Junior Combo amp. The Floor POD has 12 amp models to choose from ranging from clean to insane, and 6 effects such as phaser, sweep and reverb to name a few. With a little time and patience you should be able to sound like any number of artists. I was able to run a custom clean setting and then press the middle pedal to instantly Switch to another custom setting (this time heavy distortion) to play songs like "Smells like teen spirit" and "Niki FM". I was also able to re-create the sound of "Back that ass up cover" by New Found Glory in a matter of minutes. There was a slight noise issue, probably due to my guitar Pick-ups, but the noise gate function was able to diminish the noise greatly. The sound was great, especially coming out of the tube amp, and the Wah pedal was easy to use and sounded nice and funky. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Thankfully for me, I had purchased the extended warranty because the knobs are easy to accidentally kick off and are made of flimsy plastic. Aside from that though, the POD is sturdy and has a good weight about it. It's made mainly from metal and the Wah pedal is very sturdy. I would feel confident using it at a gig, especially considering it has it's own power source and I have never had any malfunctions. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, I feel that the Line 6 Floor POD is a great product, especially for a buyer with little to no experience and/or a buyer with a amp that is lacking in the extra features department. For the price this thing is hard to beat and is definitely better than having to individually purchase different pedals and modulators for the new guitarist. I've been playing for a little over a year and this product is great for beginners looking to experiment with different sounds and effects. I love the pre-sets which let me rock out immediately and I especially love the built-in head phone jack that allows me to practice anytime, night or day. One grip I have with the POD is it's lack of a power button or Switch but that is a small concern. Overall the pro's far outweigh the cons and I would recommend this guitar for anyone. // 9

Floor POD Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2007

Ease of Use: It was rather easy to actually work out the patches as such, and it's definitely easy to save your patches, the manual isn't particularly helpful, it just tells you what button does what and all. What I love about this is that it's really easy, even for a tech moron like me. It might take some time to edit and get the sound you want but I'm sure something will be figured out for you. // 8

Sound: Well, I run the Floor PODthrough a J&D Les Paul copy into a 1 watt Marshall amp (ms-4). Firstly, I'm not really sure but I don't really appreciate the distortion they have here, and there are only three knobs to edit the parameters. Mainly the treble, bass and Drive. They have 12 amps where the sound is mainly modelled from, they are good, especially the class a, a fairly good acoustic simulator. The treadplate is awesome, or in this case the best distortion for me. The rest are just pretty much alright. I love the chorus and phaser effect here, the tremelo isn't that fantastic. The delay is awesome, not too sure about the sweep echo, and the reverb isn't that good. It has a built in tuner which is easy to use, and the best effect here has got to be a wah, easily 9/10 for the wah for me. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I recently bought this and found it to be quite dependable. It isn't that bad, it's made of metal and quite light-weight. It should definitely be fine for gigging. It definitely looks cool, but maybe the knobs aren't that durable, they look as though they might drop out anytime, or be pulled apart by an infant. // 8

Overall Impression: Well, I'm impressed that's for sure, I figured that maybe the acoustic simulator isn't that bad, but the distortion is not really fantastic in my opinion. The best thing is the wah, that's for sure. I play a lot of MYMP, Metallica, oldies and stuff, really into funk and acoustics and abit of glam rock, I would say this is perfect for funk, and maybe contempory stuff. I wanted a Korg ax 1500g but this will do fine, it's amp modelling is good. Frankly, get the PODXT Live or Korg AX1500G if your looking for something cheap and good. This product still rocks, but I wouldn't get it if it got stolen. // 7

Floor POD Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 11, 2007

Purchased from: St John's Music

Ease of Use: When I came home from the guitar store I found maybe 3 or 4 patches that sounded half decent. Most of the factory presets were a little heavy on effects and served no musical purpose at all. Editing patches was extremely easy and I soon got rid of those shit factory presets. The manual wasn't too bad but requires some editing. // 7

Sound: I'm using a Squier Thinline Tele with this into a 15 watt Marshall. I am so lucky there is a noise gate, if there wasn't I would be stuck with hearing the most annoying feedback. The chorus and dealy aren't bad. The reverb is overpowering unless it's at its lowest stage. The Red and Green Treadplate and Green Insane settings helped me achieve some Megadeth/Pantera rythm sounds. The Red High Gain can be good for blues rythm or if you Dimed the channel like me, you can get a decent shred tone. Red and Green Classic as well as the Green clean got me some cool blues lead tones. The Line 6 Insane amp is way to sloppy and shouldn't be used at full volumes. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this pedal too work and I would without a doubt use this without a backup rig. The pedals are still holding up strong even the much abused wah. The exterior casing is extremely well built but the knobs seem flimsy and seem as if they could come off at any second. // 8

Overall Impression: This a good match for any kind of music. Jazz tones can be achieved and anything else can be achieved just by filtering through the amp model section. I've played for 4 and a half years and this pedal is good for people just starting who is justing to get an understaing of tone. I am seriously thinking of returning this and buying a distortion, wah, and a dealy because I honestly don't need any effects from here except the occasional use of chorus. I think Line 6 threw in some amp models that one in every 200 people might use and didn't really care about the over all sound quality of this pedal. // 7

Floor POD Reviewed by: Hajen, on october 10, 2007

Ease of Use: This effect really is great! I like to have knobs to dial in my sound with, click-buttons for volume is really horrible in all situations. Its easy to configure and use, but the presets basically all suck. the 'tap' button is nice looking but i havent really figured out its use yet. Maybe for delay? Footswitches include patch up, patch down and bypass, which by a magic 1 second touch of bypass turns into toggle buttons for gain boost, mod and reverb. It also comes with a built-in volume pedal with toeswitch for wah. // 9

Sound: I play an Ibanez RG470 through a small Laney amp or occasionally a bigger Behringer PA. The first impreesion was not a brilliant-sound but more a feeling of the guitar being in tune with you and more of an extension of your creativity than a piece of wood you have to negotiate. The best thing is you can get that extra "feeling" out of it without having to use lots of gain. It lacks a really good metal sound and produces a slightly shreddy sound from my amp, but sounds great from earphones or PAs. I play mainly punk-pop/rock in the style of Offspring, Sum 41 and Green Day among others, and the hi-gain setting is great for getting a rocky sound from it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have actually never used it in a Live setup, as I am not currently in a band (but looking for one, guys) but I can't imagine any less than perfect performance from the POD. With easy-to-understand switches and almost bulletproof shell it can probably handle anything I will throw at it. A small minus for not being able to lock settings, I for one have had too many solos cut off by cable problems to have any remorse with cables touching the knobs, setting volume to zero. Also it comes with a handle for carrying it around! // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing music in general for 8 years of my 16 year life, guitar for 3 of those. I would recommend this POD for anyone Who know their way around a guitar. For people Who think it's a lot of cash, I would recommend getting the more affordable Korg AX3G. // 9

Floor POD Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 12, 2008

Purchased from: Kendall Guitars

Ease of Use: After an hour of fiddling with it, I had created about 4 sounds that I was happy with. I am still using those initial ones though I have tweaked a little since. The Floor POD is really easy to use and editing patches is simple. The manul points you in the right direction and says all it needs to. // 9

Sound: I am using a 1987 Gibson Les Paul Custom (The White one). I was initially using a Fender Champion 30 DSP, but it really wasn't powerful enough and I was forced to throttle back the Floor PODs potential. So I have bought a Line 6 Spider II 212 (150 WATT)and found a whole new world! My Les Paul is a monster and likes to feed back, but the Compressor on the Floor POD is able to keep it under control with sacrificing tone on the rock and metal sounds. The noisegate works well to clean up some of the fuzz, so that you don't lose definition. I like to achieve my own signature sound and style for the most part, but I have managed to emulate a few sounds for some of the songs we do. Distortion, a classic crunch or brit pop sound plus a clean sound is really all I use and the Floor POD has hit all the nails on the head. Reading some other reviews, where some people haven't been totally satisfied with sounds and tone, I would say that the Floor POD isn't the problem, it could be something else in your chain. Some copy guitars are better than others, so the guitar tone and Drive may let you down a bit, but more important I would say is the amplification. If your amp is under powered, you will never get the quality of sound that you are looking for. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had it long enough to comment yet, but I am gigging with it now. My Line 6 Spider II Amp has similar effects unit built in so I have a backup too. The general construction seems pretty robust. I had a Behringer XVamp that fell apart when I stomped on it, which wasn't good for a foot pedal. // 8

Overall Impression: We play classic Rock, Indie Rock, Punk and a few others. The combination of gear I have now gives me a guitar sound that I have been looking for, for a long time. I have been a musician Pro and semi-pro for 18 years now. In my opinion the age of valve amplification is dead. Line 6 really has something now with their amp emulation technology. The combination of the Floor POD and the Spider II means that I can reproduce almost any of the signature sounds from the last 40 years. I would highly recommend any of the Line 6 range. // 10

Floor POD Reviewed by: ChancellorErik, on june 20, 2008

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Ease of Use: To start off, I bought this pedal on a whim, I was playing a show that night and my old DigiTech on conked out on me. I wanted something that had the freedom of the Boss ME series pedals I had used before and the ease of the presets from my old DigiTech. It set up very nicely and was ready to use virtually straight out of the box. The large selection of amp models are great for finding the right feel for whatever you're playing (though I must admit I have yet to find a bluesy feel that is to my liking). After reading the manual (which I had to do twice, maybe it's just me but I felt like I had missed something the frist time through) editing and creating my own settings was a breeze. The only problem I had at first was switching from preset to edit mode, but reading the manual cleared that up. // 9

Sound: To start with, this pedal is definitely the highlight of my otherwise cheap gear, a Squire Strat with a Fender Frontman really doesn't deserve such a great pedal. However, for the almost $200 I payed for it I am dissapointed at the variety of effects. While the effects it does have sound amazing (they don't brag about their tone for nothing), having played several Boss ME series pedals I was dissapointed at the lack of features, especially those controlable via the expression pedal. While the ability to change through the 12 different amps is nice, the control over distortion levels within the amps is very limited. I also find myself searching for more consistency with the volume levels, sometimes it seems I've got the channel and pedal volume cranked but still lacking, and sometimes I Switch effects and lose my hearing to intense ammounts of feedback. Overall, not as impressive as I would have hoped for the lofty sticker price. // 6

Reliability & Durability: No question here, unlike my cheap little DigiTech, this baby isn't breaking on me any time soon. Though sometimes I worry about the expression pedal, as it is plastic compared to the otherwise metal body. I'm very rarely a guitarist at live performances (I'm a drummer in 2 of my 3 bands), I would be happy to use this pedal on stage, though I am under the impression I will be using it more in the studio. // 9

Overall Impression: My style of music varies heavily, from John Mayer to John Petrucci. This pedal offers a variety of excelent amps and a good number of effects to keep me happy for the time being. Though it is lacking in sheer number of features, the tone is truly outstanding. I may not purchase it again, but I would definitely consider trying other Line 6 products in the future. While no Boss ME (I've been using that example alot, but it is to date the best pedal I have played) it definitely gets the job done in true versatile Line 6 fashion. // 8

Floor POD Reviewed by: benstapleton, on november 25, 2009

Price paid: € 129

Purchased from: Music Maker (Dublin)

Ease of Use: At first, this seems like a fairly decent pedal- it's got all your major food groups: Distortion, Delay, Flange, Chorus, Tremolo, Reverb, Echo and Wah. Everything a budding guitarist needs! The presets are good, if a bit repetitive, and editing is a fairly simple operation. Altogether it has 64 settings, 60 presets and 4 user settings. The manual is very easy to understand, and even gives ideas of what kind of amp presets to use to achieve the sound you want. // 7

Sound: I use a Strat usually, although I have also used Tele's and SG's on this pedal. My amps vary, but I found this pedal worked best with a Line6 SpiderIII. I wouldn't really recommend it if you have a non-Line6 amp to be honest... I bought a second hand Boss GT-6 for another 20, and it sounds good on everything! One setting that annoyed me was the "Fuzz" setting (Turn the preamp knob to classic and get the green light). It was very noisy and tuneless, with no high end sound AT ALL... The distortion setting was very poor too... I play a lot of classic and psychedelic stuff, and this really doesn't allow for that at all. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I'm very gentle with my gear, I even bought a padded bag for this pedal, yet somehow the light that tells me if Tremolo is working broke... That annoyed me.. It does have a steel bar across it, which would save it from most damage. I wouldn't count on it always working, though, as mine has acted up once or twice for no particular reason... // 5

Overall Impression: I play classic stuff, veering into psychedelic and progressive. (Hendrix, Donovan, The Mars Volta, Thin Lizzy, Led Zeppelin). If that's what you're going for, I wouldn't buy this. If you're thinking more punk rock, or maybe a Vintage metal sound, it could be for you. I've been playing for 5 years, and although i don't have a lot of equipment, this tends to go unused... Some thing I do love about it is the incredibly overdriven tone you get from the "Insane" settings. I had a lot of fun with those after I bought it! I think if I had the choice between buying this, or two Boss stompboxes, I'd choose the Boss anyday.. // 5

Floor POD Reviewed by: scottmcm, on march 01, 2010

Ease of Use: This compact sucker has like 64, easy to switch back and fourth from (not to mention fully custmiseable) channels. Easy to use for fast changes in channels and adding effects such as tremelo and delay. Switcing from wah to volume is totally simple also. However, some problems are capability in acecsing tuner and of course the fact that when switching channels you only have 2 options. Up or down. Its a great/ easy to use piece but its better for making effects then switching from sound to sound. // 7

Sound: the sound quality on the line 6 floor pod is fantastic. Whether your using a spider 3 ot an old fashion bass amp, you can make your guitar sound kick ass. Whether you want a clean sound or distorion, this floor pod gives you completely control! I've hooked the floor pod up to a dinky, 20 dollar 5 watt amp and it really cranks it up! You can get all kinds of effects, destorions, and its also not such a pain in the butt to tune // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is pretty damn solid. I'm sure I've dropped it and jumped on it a couple times and it works just fine. I'm sure it would be just fine to use on stage, and is geat for playing at home or in the recording studio. It's a solid piece, I woudn't worry about it breaking unless you drop it down a 3 story window or something. And who knows, even then... // 8

Overall Impression: Its a solid piece. A good price for all it's effects. Its kinda a stuggle, but you can make this thing work. I play a lot of grungy, high distortion music and this little guy has all the hook ups. I recomend this especcially for beginners and people who just wanna mess around with some sounds. Its good for recording and messing around with. I ussually hook it up to my Spider 3 75 watt and it sounds great. I've also found myself jamming with headphones on. // 8

Floor POD Reviewed by: iTOASTER, on october 18, 2010

Purchased from: GAK

Ease of Use: Although Its confusing at first, the Line 6 Floor POD is easy to use once you get used to it. Its so easy to edit any of the 64 preset sounds, with the push of a button it can be saved so you dont have to change the settings every time you want to use it, the manual is very helpful if you get lost, it has all the information that you need to use the Pod perfectly. // 8

Sound: The sounds are amazing, ther are 60 preset sounds and 4 free slots for user sounds, I currently use it through a Roland Cube 80x amp with an Epiphone Explorer and it always sounds amazing, there are different sounds for every kind of music you would want to play. The effects are always good and the sound is amazing for the music I play, I like to play mainly metal and rock, the pod can give me the perfect sound to play anything from AC/DC to Black sabbath to Metallica, I don't have a favourite effect because most of them are amazing and can be useful to have. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had my Floor POD a while now and its never failed it is very dependable, I would play a show without a backup, although I always have a back up on hand just incase I have never had to use it because the Floor POD always delivers a great sound and has shown no signs of stopping any time soon. // 10

Overall Impression: Personaly I play metal music the most and its perfect, it has a built in Wah pedal for solos and it has so many awesome sounds, like I said it has a good range of sounds for different genres. I have only been playing for around 2 and a half years so I don't really have that much experience but from using other effects pedals and similar tools the Floor POD is the best I have encountered. If the pedal was lost or stolen I would be gutted and have to buy another one, anything else wouldn't be the same after using the Floor Pod. The thing I love most about the Floor POD is its ease of use and it wide range of sounds. // 9

Floor POD Reviewed by: Mrfussytabs, on november 22, 2010

Ease of Use: Getting a good sound of it is fairly easy. However in all honesty you're going to want to make your own presets as the vast majority of the factory presets are just whacky. Google amplifier settings if you don't already know what you want and this WILL let you dial them in effortlessly. There is a button you must hold to turn on the alternative functions (mid, presence). You can find the manual for it in the box or online in PDF format if thats your cup of tea. // 8

Sound: I used this mostly through my Line 6 15 and now through a Fender Mustang 20w and I honestly end up unplugging it nowadays since the reverb is far better on my amp. The insane settings(2) on this pedal board are NOT the same as the insane setting on the Line 6 amplifier. Less scratchy and buzzy, plenty of insane. I'm not sure why though. The gain boost function is actually not much of a boost. Not gonna bash it but I'm sad I sold my ds-1 =/ The reverb is decent but as I said its not as nice as a twin reverb(duh). // 5

Reliability & Durability: If you're starting to gig this is a cheap alternative that gets the job done but could still sound better. Dependable - yes reliable- - yes. But you can only rely on it to sound average or slightly above average if you're just using factory presets. You could throw this at a freaking WALL and it might just collapse your house. VERY durable. // 7

Overall Impression: I play Evreything from blues to Alternative rock and it does them just fine, not GREAT but just fine. I've played with plenty of effects bt I'd definately just go for boss. No I probably wouldn't buy it agaiin but I would miss it. Lots of usefull things on this hardware-wise. I compared this to a digitec RP 155* I think but it was the same price. // 6

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review