Floor POD Plus Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 11/15/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Line 6: Floor POD Plus
Floor POD Plus unites the timeless sounds from POD 2.0 with a greatly expanded set of premium effects. This slick, road-ready package gives you 32 amp models, 16 classic cabs, 16 modulation effects, 6 delay models, and 2 different types of reverb - all with ultimate tweakability.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Ease of Use: 8
 8.2
 8.3
 8.1
reviews (4) 65 comments vote for this gear:
Floor POD Plus Reviewed by: UG Team, on may 09, 2007

Ease of Use: Line 6's Floor POD Plus is firmly entrenched in the "Guitar Effects For Dummies" vein; even if you have no idea what is going on, you can twiddle knobs until you get a tone you like. There is a knob to select amp model, one to select effect, and several others for compression, delay, noise gate, and reverb. The knobs are carefully laid out to give the user a maximum of tone-shaping capability with a minimum of confusion. There are also several footswitches: one for Bank Up and Bank Down, then one each for presets A, B, C, D from each bank. This layout is far preferable to a simple Up/Down, as you have four tones immediately available with one touch. There is a Tap button to set delay time (a very useful feature), and a treadle on the right that can be used for volume or wah. There is even a built-in tuner -- Line 6 designed the Floor POD Plus so that you would not need any external gear at all. // 8

Sound: The electronics and models are essentially lifted from the older "kidney bean" version of the POD. The requisite Fender, Marshall, Vox and Mesa models are all present, as well as some less-popular but very cool choices like Dumble, Soldano, Budda and Matchless. High-end tone connoisseurs should recognize these names as among the vanguard of hand-assembled amps. Overall, I felt the Floor POD Plus lacked realism in a way that is difficult to describe. Listen to the sound clips for examples; I recorded them all with a Washburn Dime 333, loaded with a Seymour Duncan JB, direct into my computer. There is a lack of roominess or woodiness, very difficult to capture but essential for realistic tones. The feel of it is pretty compressed also. The response of this unit is different from the amps it mimics, something you will notice when you plug into it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The POD is a tried-and-true design, one of the reasons Line 6 has stuck with it and modified it for many years rather than starting from scratch. The Floor POD Plus, while a brand-new product, seems well-put together and sturdy. The switches seem a little flimsy to me, but I have not heard of any problems with any facet of the pedal as yet. // 8

Overall Impression: The Floor POD Plus is not designed for someone who needs a giant rack full of gear, tube amps and 4x12 cabinets for days to get the tone they like. This pedal is designed to have a wide variety of tones available for three purposes: silent recording, low-volume practice and playing direct through a PA. Part of the reason for Line 6's success is that is does all these things admirably. Not as well as plugging into the real amps, but far cheaper and simpler. I wouldn't have a unit like this as my main tone, but it would be great for a backup in case I have amp trouble at a gig. // 8

Floor POD Plus Reviewed by: oliverkontis, on august 20, 2007

Ease of Use: The New Floor POD Plus is an exeptional piece of engineering, that may look like a hi-tech piece of equipment for professionals when recording, but with a reasonably detailed manual it soon becomes an easy to use 'Jam-Machine'. There are a huge range of amp and cabinet models to choose from along with 120 presets with also 120 spaces to fill in your own custom settings, the Floor POD Plus really is something special, an easy to use package for beginers or experts just hoping to improve. // 7

Sound: POD is recognized throughout the world as the way to get authentic amp tones and effects in a small package. The newest addition to the legendary POD line, Floor POD Plus unites the timeless sounds from POD 2.0 with a greatly expanded set of premium effects. This slick, road-ready package gives you 32 amp models, 16 classic cabs, 16 modulation effects (including chorus, flanger, and tremolo), 6 delay models, and 2 different types of reverb- all with ultimate tweakability. Now, with Floor POD Plus it's easier than ever to create your own custom signature sound and bring it to the stage with time to spare, within minutes you can create the sound you've always wanted to but haven't been able to without having to spend hundreds of pounds on multiple FX pedals. I play through the Floor POD Plus using an Ibanez JS100 or an Epiphone Special II. The multiple effects that are achievable with both guitars in multiple tunings are beyond belief, with mostly strong effects and many settings from other line6 amp effects like: hi-gain, Line6 Insane, Line6 Crunch, Line6 Clean, Tweed Blues and the line6 classic Fuzz Box. It is easy to create sounds from your favourite artists, wheather you prefer bands like the beatles, and Fall Out Boy, or bands like Atreyu And Silverstein. Many Sounds are similar to a normal amp with no effects, but effects like Obi-Wah and Swell give a very un orthodox 'Floaty' feeling to a chord, so the Floor POD Plus really can provide the sound that you've been looking for! // 9

Reliability & Durability: The Floor POD Plus is a very durable piece of equipment that I have owned for many months now and have had no problem with whatsoever. I would hope that it would still work as well as the day that I got it and give the same great sound for many years to come. I Would definately use this in gigs etc as I wouldn't expect a sudden loss of sound from the Floor POD Plus. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a mixture of music, I play many 'chordy' songs aswell as heavy songs, but I am also keen on experimenting with new effects and sounds. I have been playing for roughly two and a half years and have not come across another piece of equipment with such a mixture of new developed sound and old classic settings such as Fuzz Box and Crunch. I Would definately buy the Floor POD Plus again if it was stolen or lost because of the many features I love about it e.g Treadplate, Obi-Wah and the six different delay settings. This product is defiately a huge step up from the Floor POD and The POD 2.0 and The Floor POD Plus has really set the bar for any new effect systems. // 9

Floor POD Plus Reviewed by: paesano, on september 10, 2009

Purchased from: musiciansfriend

Ease of Use: It's not the hardest pedal to tweak but it's not the easiest either. You'll be reading the manual that's for sure, there are a ton of sounds on this pedal so it'll take some time to figure out how to get your sound out of it. Some of the setting require you to hold down knbos while you turn others and it doesn't leave your hands free to do anything else so that kind of turned me off. I never patched it but there's downloads available, the manual is pretty good. It's not confusing at all. // 8

Sound: When I used it (in 2007) I only used that pedal and ran out of the left output into a PA set. I was playing an ESP LTD M-50. It's a little noisy and on high gain settings you have to really clamp down on the included noise gate to stop it and it stomps on your tone. The modulation effects are nice, there's some really cool effects like comet trails, tron, ring modulation, and the normal chorus, phaser, flanger. There's alot of amp models and cabinet models on there and it's a good reference for what kind of amp you'll want to buy later but I found the gain lacking even with the gain boost. The tone knobs don't do a whole lot, they're pretty ineffectual. The expression pedal is great for volume control but the wah is weak and you can't assign the pedal to effects values. I was able to get a great sound with the tron modulation setting, it sounded alot like Satriani's tone in One Big Rush. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's a sturdy pedal. The only thing I had a problem with was the expression pedal Switch. After about a year, I had to press down on it so hard to engage it I thought I was going to break it. Other than that it's a sturdy pedal. I would use it on a gig without a backup. The bank buttons are nice and spaced out, you have plenty of room to step on them without hitting other pedals and they're very sturdy and responsive. // 7

Overall Impression: I was playing alot of Satriani at the time and it was decent. I've been playing for 17 years and I use a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade and a Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe. I wish I had played this pedal before I bought it, if it were stolen I wouldn't replace it. I love the cool mod effects but I hate the tuner, you have to be standing right over the top of the pedal to see the lights. My favorite feature was the delay. I could get some cool sounds with it. I compared it to alot of the DigiTech pedals and after using some of those, I probably should have bought one of them instead. I wish it had more gain and I wish the expression pedal could be assigned to manipulate effects values. // 7

Floor POD Plus Reviewed by: ebmusicman16, on november 15, 2010

Purchased from: GAK (Brighton)

Ease of Use: I bought the Floor POD Plus as my first Floor POD and it didn't disapoint. Its extremely easy to get a good sound out of it because the genius' at Line 6 have made 120 presets and 4 spaces to record your own sounds and if that isnt enough you can overide the presets. It has all the amp models you could need and it has tonnes of effects. // 9

Sound: I use it through a Line 6 Spider IV and it sounds great. I use a Fender Strat or an Ibanez through it and the Floor POD delivers grat results. With some of the Original Line 6 sounds eg: Line 6 clean and Insane it takes a lot to beat. I only have one problem with it Fuzz Box is a very crackly tone and it still makes noises when the guitar is turned to 0. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is definetly dependable. I have never had a problem with it and I used it on stage without a backup and I was never worried because Line 6 make such good products. It works as well as the day I got it out of the box and it can withstand anything I throw at it (not literally)! // 10

Overall Impression: I normally play rock to metal and it is great for both. It also delivers an amazing tone for those times when you want it clean. If I lost it I would definetly go out and buy it because I love it. It can get pretty much any sound you want. FANTASTIC PRODUCT WELL DONE LINE 6! // 10

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review