JM4 Looper Review

9.3
reviews (2) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
JM4 Looper Reviewed by: BHD, on january 23, 2009

Price paid: £ 229.99

Purchased from: Guitar Works (Reading)

Ease of Use: I've had it around 6 hours now and I haven't yet even bothered trying to make a tone: It's already got over a hundred built in. There's sections called 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s which has versions of different songs from them periods, for instance Crazy Train is in the 80's, Cowboys from Hell in the 90s etc etc. They've also got sections based on bands that made their own tones for Line 6. Killswitch Engage and As I Lay Dying being some examples. It's not just good for Metal though, awesome blues tones and funk tones. If you're not happy with the presets you can edit them and save them in your section. Manual is easy to follow. Took me about four hours to get used to because you can change effects, put on a drum loops, song loops, record, overdub and what not. I think I'm finally there! // 9

Sound: I'm using a LTD MH-250 with Seymour Duncans in it and a Marshall amp. Though I orignally heard the pedal ran through some speakers instead of amp and it sounded awesome. I've played it through a big amp in the shop and it sounded face-rippingly-good. At first I was worried it was dodgy because it had a humming in the background but I then realised the volume for the XLR input was up, when turned down, it shut up. The presets are awesome, I've tried Enter Sandman to the recording (clean and metal) and blended right in. Breaking the Law sounded awesome. There's also presets for songs like Bark at the Moon (rhythm and solo), Nothing Else Matters, Cowboys from Hell, Master of Puppets, Crazy Train, No More Tears, Hotel California, Cliffs of Dover, Sultans of Swing. There's loads, I've just mentioned some of the ones I know quite well! I was originally put off by Line 6 having invested in a POD Version 1.0, the cheap 100 one. Trying to use it to record I could never get a decent tone out of it. I thought all the digital sounds were gonna be really bad but this changed my mind completely. It's just awesome. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think this unit is great for practicing at home. Main features being: - At least 50 backing tracks (I think it said more around 100 on the box but I can't remember and I'm not moving to get it! ) - 100+ preset tones. - Twenty Minutes worth of recording time with dubbing possible aswell.- - Lots of Drum Tracks (Metronome aswell) - Chromatic Tuner. - Lots of Amp Simulators. - Enough effects to keep you going "Ooooooh" - XLR input incase you wanna mic something (vocals, accoustic guitar etc) - Audio Input - Stereo Out - And a really cheesey demo track for you to hear with some guy talking about the unit. I've been told that the unit is basically just a Line 6 Spider without the speaker and with more effects. My advice is, if you were thinking about getting a POD. I'd get this instead 'cause it's got so much more however, I haven't tried some of the higher model pods. Only the entry level one. I wouldn't gig it however, chances are I'd try and changing tone and just accidently hit the "play" button and get some country backing start playing. I've got other pedals for Live stuff but this is going to be invaluable for my improvisation and studying! // 8

Overall Impression: As you may have guessed I'm a big fan of metal. Not to say I'm not into anything else but I like Metal. It works brilliantly for it and everything else! I've been playing for around 6 years now but didn't have a loop pedal or anything. I was using Cubase but this is so much quicker and it's so easy to find a decent tone. I'd recommend it over a POD. If it was stolen, at the minute, I'd get another, but I got mine 6 hours ago so I'd have to save up a bit again. I love the fact it's everything in one, for a fair price. Though I do dislike the design. Somethings you can just kick a button and it'll be fine, others you suddenly have to lean down and start pushing things and tuning knobs. I did discover you can change what the kick buttons do though which is very helpful! So you can assign it to change your tone or record or stop or undo etc. I'm just lazy. The only other problem I'm having, is I keep having to play with the volume on everything. It seems fine for a while then I'll change a setting and suddenly it's really loud but I'm guessing that's just me. // 9

JM4 Looper Reviewed by: Tokki Wartooth, on april 21, 2010

Price paid: € 100

Purchased from: A friend, used

Ease of Use: This is more of a portable spider amp, but better. YOU CAN ACTUALLY GET A WIDE VARIETY OF TONES. The basic amp models are there (Clean, Crunch, Blues, Metal, Insane all green/red), plus 350+ built in EQ and FX Presets + drum / drums + bass / drums + bass + guitar backing tracks. There's tons of stuff to explore. There are 4 major quick-launch stompbox buttons for all the basic features, a LED screen, the Spider EQ + FX knobs, and the upper navigation buttons and wheel. Basically it is designed to get the job done quick. You can record at once, clear your current recording, and use it in a foot-switch mode to scroll through EQ Presets, Amp Models + FX and more. You can change the key of the backing tracks to fit your tuning, change their tempo, see which key you'll have to play in. Features: Integrated Tuner Guitar/Bass Input XLR input AUX In Cd/mp3 in Out to Amp Headphones Stereo line out (left and right) SD Card Slot (up to 2GB for up to 6.5 hours of recordings. Up to 24 minutes without the card) The manual is not quite thorough, more like a quick reference book, but you can get any info you need summed up. No battery, it has to be plugged into an AC source. // 7

Sound: Currently I do not own an amp, so I plug my guitar in the JM4 Looper, and the looper straight into my Hi-Fi. The sound is amazing, it's a lot better than a Spider amp, due to the stereo output mostly. I've used it with both an Ibanez RG370 and an LTD V-401. My friend who owned it before me, was using it with a Yamaha Pacifica and a Jackson RR1. Works just fine. It is not noisy at all, it has a really good built-in noise gate, and it even alerts you when you're "clipping" due to a bad cable, or anything else. The effects are the typical Spider effects. Work fine for home practice, but they're maybe weak for loud volumes (gigging). The most perfect thing about the JM4 is that the built in presets are based on a huge variety of artists and albums/songs. From the 60's to the late 00's you can get pretty much every tone used in rock metal and blues. From the early Zeps to Meshuggah. Pink Floyd, Zappa, Black Sabbath, Albert Lee, Satch, Vai, Maiden, Metallica, Ozzy, Lacuna Coil, 311, Slipknot and many MANY more artist's tones are very accurately brought to you. For some of them there's a special artist bank section, where you can get the tone of their most famous songs. Of course there's also a user bank, where you can save your own presets in 36 places The loop function is flawless! You can record with or without backing drums or songs, and the recording gets adjusted perfectly so you can endlessly jam with it, record a solo over your first guitar, and a solo after that, and a solo after that... // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is the ultimate home practice pack. It makes it MUCH more interesting, it made me jam for hours! Soloing! And I hate solos, I've always been a rhythm enthusiast, partly because I suck in solos. This got me practicing and I got a lot better! I'm playing every day for at least an hour, jamming along the songs, recording my ideas, overdubbing them and discovering new tones. I also use it at band practice, and it is a really awesome volume + tone boost. I wouldn't recommend gigging with this. I did a gig with the JM4 and I was disappointed by the sound. It got too digital and kinda sterile, but still, better than a typical Spider halfstack. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mostly thrash metal. There are lots of presets for this style fo music here. As well as for rock, country, blues, jazz and pretty much anything you can imagine. I'm really not exaggerating, this is a tone beast. Tweek the preset EQ's or make your own, you'll be surprised! I've had it for 8 months now, I constantly use it at band practice and I don't own an amp, just because this is more than enough for me at home. If it got stolen I would definitely buy a new one, to keep me motivated for hours of home practice. The only thing that can get annoying is the navigation wheel. You will scroll a lot to get what you want. But this doesn't change the fact that you can get a hell of a lot from this looper. Also, as you may have noticed Line6 did not focus on producing a looper, but a home practice pack. The loop function is there, and is awesome, but there are better and more professional loopers out there for sure. Overall it is a great tool for bedroom players and can be used at band practice quite good. NOT for gigging. // 8

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review