M13 Stompbox Modeler Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 08/12/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Line 6: M13 Stompbox Modeler
This is a genius device made by Line 6. This will adapt to almost any genre you want to play and for any playing skill level.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Ease of Use: 9.3
 8.7
 9.5
 7.8
reviews (3) pictures (3) 7 comments vote for this gear:
M13 Stompbox Modeler Reviewed by: SpeedGuitarist, on january 06, 2010

Ease of Use: This is a genius device made by Line 6. To start set up plug in a guitar and Pick what type of effect you want to use, be it a delay, distortion, verb, mod, or filler. Then, choose the settings for bass, treble, and mid tones. Next, choose how much output you want it to put out and any mode specific changes you want to make and you're done. Then you can layer it by clicking on to a different FX unit (1-4) or swich quickly by putting up to three modes per level (A, B, and C) for up to 12 different settings. All in about a half hour depending on what you want done. Then you can use the built in looper, tuner, silent metranome, or scenes (saved setup layouts). Then, you can test out how it sounds and change as you go! It is also easy to add extra pedals or features on to it. // 10

Sound: Besides being easy to set up, It sounds great with all its features are very customizable to your tastes. I have successfully gotten the sounds of many different genres quite easily by changing a few settings or selecting a premade scene. I just love the endless possibilities for sounds and effects that you can make with this modeler. This is the best sounding modeler of all the products I tried. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I most definately rely on this for I have a new puppy who has done almost everything to harm it and it still works beautifully! I would trust not having a backup for this during a gig. This modeler is both very reliable and very durable. To extend its durability even farther I bought a protective Line 6 case that has enough room for it and any cables/attachments you have for it. This makes it even better and extends the use you get out of it. // 10

Overall Impression: This will adapt to almost any genre you want to play and for any playing skill level. This works well with both my Jackson and Fernandes guitars and works well with my Line 6 Wah Pedal. If something happened to it I would definately buy it again. I compared it to the GT-10 and POD X3 and by far it was the best. So, Ican test out how it sounds and change as you go! So, I give this Modeler a 10 for being so easy, flexible, and for being so well built. // 10

M13 Stompbox Modeler Reviewed by: scion_of_glory, on august 24, 2010

Purchased from: craigslist

Ease of Use: I picked this one up used for a much lower price, it has none of the software updates. In less than five minutes, without reading the manual, I had it pretty well down. From what I've read, the software adds a nice touch, but I can produce all the tones I need. However, you need to be careful when experimenting with effects, some will interact strangely until the settings are tinkered with. // 9

Sound: I use a small thirty watt solid state amp and a Fender Strat knock off, and I half to admit, it sounds incredible! The distortions can crush, crunch, and grind. Some people complain they sound "weak" or "thin", perhaps even too "digital", but me and all my friends agree that they sound kick ass! The reverbs are rich and creamy, others sound like footsteps. The filters allow some head spinning synth style effects, total customization here. Great mod effects, the phasers are excellent! A few Cons soundwise, however, include the sub-octave, the Wah Wah styled filters, and the plate reverb. The suboctave will start to sound very digital when playing deep, deep notes, the Wah wahs just don't have "the sound", and the plate reverb is very, very thin. However, considering this has all the effects I could need, perhaps lacking a wah, it still gets a nine. I play music in many styles, some of my favorite artists include Mogwai, Joe Satriani, Buckethead, Yngwie Malmsteen, Greenday, D.C.F.C, Metallica, so on so forth. With The addition of a wah, I will be able to get every sound from these artists. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank. A tank. There is only one weak part, and that is the screens. Don't get me wrong here, it's not because of cheap construction, it's because screens are screens. I wouldn't throw it around, but mostly because throwing something so heavy and sturdy is hard! // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for three years now. I play everything from shred to post rock, and this bad boy handles it all. If it were stolen, I would most likely be dead, because someone would have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. My absolute favorite feature is the distortions, with the delays a hair behind. The ONLY thing I hate about this is the suboctave, but I never use it anyway, so I am still happy with it! I reserve the right to give it all nines, because only something perfect gets a ten. // 10

M13 Stompbox Modeler Reviewed by: kettmannism, on august 12, 2011

Purchased from: Craigslist

Ease of Use: The pedals themselves are pretty self-explanatory. It is super easy to get a good sound out of this machine. I upgraded this pedal with a midi cable and had absolutely no issues and neither will you (as long as you follow instructions). The manual is as straight-forward as a manual can be. My pedal has been upgraded. // 9

Sound: I'm playing a custom build strat (Trembucker '59 in the bridge and a super distortion 2 in the bridge) through a B52 AT-100 into a Marshall cab. The only settings that create noise are some of the distortion channels (but this can mostly be fixed with some tinkering) as well as some of the "synth" settings, which can be fixed too. I loved all of the effects settings other than the distortion settings. I have 3 set up in bank 1 just for different frequencies when recording and practicing. I wouldn't use them for a live "main" distortion. I also love the "whammy" upgrade. I've done some demos with it shifted an octave down for a bass sound and it surprisingly works (for a demo). My only complain about this is when I hooked up an expression pedal, the Whammy settings shift more than what I set the parameters to. This could be a flaw in the expression pedal itself, but it is a little annoying. I have yet to test it on a Wah Wah setting because I have a crybaby. My pedal had some presets of some artists such as The Police and Led Zeppelin. The Police one sounds really good with the delays, reverbs and such. The Zeppelin one however, doesn't. At all... I wouldn't recommend the distortions for a main distortion, but I love the tremolos, phasers, chorus, whammy, synth, strings... All of these weird effects are neat and you'll never run out of space with 144 effect settings. Also how can you go wrong with this? Thrice uses them on stage, so they have to be good, right? // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have had this pedal for over a year (I think) and it's great as far as durability. It's sturdy as a rock and I've dropped it once already and not a dent was seen on it (or the concrete floor). I would and have done a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all styles of music. Jazz, Rock, Classical. This pedal is extremely versatile. The loop is kick ass too. I've been playing for about 16 years. If this were stolen, I would rebuy this. However I don't know if I'll be able to get as good a deal on it as I did in the first place. Overall, I love this pedal for the effects. I don't use reverb so that seems like a bit of a waste. I'm not happy with the distortion, however I've never liked distortion from a pedal, and I've played lots over the years. I prefer the tube amp distortion. My favorite feature is the loop pedal. It's a great tool to write riffs and figure something over them. It's also a great way to impress your non-musician friends. // 9

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review