POD HD400 Review

Ease of Use: 6
 8.5
review (1) pictures (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
POD HD400 Reviewed by: Zan595, on july 12, 2011

Ease of Use: The POD HD400 can achieve some Killer tones, if the user learns how to create them. As with other Line 6 POD products, this model uses a tone bank to store thirty-two sets of four tones, which can be easily toggled through. The pedal on the far right can be toggled between a volume pedal and a "wah" pedal. On the POD itself, along with the basic tone adjustment knobs (Drive, Bass, Mid Treble, Channel Volume), there are three "FX" knobs. The default sounds this POD comes with are, to say the least, bad. And while the knobs and buttons on the POD may be fun to play around with, they aren't very efficient in creating a good tone. The best way to get a great sound out of this is to install the "Line 6 Monkey" software to update the drivers, and the "POD HD400 Edit" software to create tones with. Both are free, and can be downloaded from the Line 6 Website. Unfortunately, the POD HD400 editing software can be confusing to anyone who's never played around with it before, and it takes some time and effort to create the tone you want. // 6

Sound: I'm running this straight into my Peavey Valve King 100 Head, which is being used with it's matching 412 watt cab. Guitars I commonly use this with are my Ibanez ICT700 Iceman with the stock DiMarzio D' Activators it came with, and a cheap Dean Vendetta 7-String using a Seymour Duncan Custom-Custom Pick up for the bridge. Let me start by saying that while the POD HD400 has sixteen amp models available to use in the editing software, only about five or six them actually sound decent or stand out to me. With a recent update, Line 6 added the "Elektrik" amp model to the HD series, which is my personal favorite for distortion due to it's "warm" sound. The EQ on this POD is fantastic, too. While creating settings may be a pain, if you do it correctly, they can sound pretty great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's very sturdy, and weighs more than you would think. The casing is all metal. I've never had any problems with it, live or not. Very dependable. // 9

Overall Impression: I play primarily progressive metal, hard rock, blues, death metal, and occasionally Jazz. I would say the POD handles a metal sound very well, however, for classic or hard rock, the amp models that would match that tone or distortion aren't very great. If you spend enough time tweaking the cleaner and crunchier models, you can get a great tone for both Blues and Jazz. I have been playing for about seven years, and I can say that this can produce one of the best metal tones I've heard. If I could change anything about it, I would add some less "digital" sounding amp models to it. // 8

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review