Pod X3 Live Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 12/17/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Line 6: Pod X3 Live
The stage-ready POD X3 Live represents the true evolution of the now-classic POD xt Live guitar amp modeler, with an expanded array of 78 guitar amps, from high-wattage heavyweights to boutique beauties and vintage treasures.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Ease of Use: 7.5
 8.3
 8.2
 8.3
reviews (11) pictures (3) 39 comments vote for this gear:
Pod X3 Live Reviewed by: nedthehead, on february 18, 2008

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Ease of Use: Do you want any sound imagineable? Do you want tons of effects on hand, and at your disposal? Do you want a great sounding and really versatile pedal? Then this is for you. Line 6's best multi-effects floorpedal to date really does deliver. This category is probably one of the most pitfalls from the pedal. It isn't "n00b-friendly'. It is a pretty in-depth process to get the tone you want out of the thing. The manual does help, and the diagrams in it are very comprehensive. It really lets you use all the effects of this pedal in good order. For example: Pick your amp, then your cab, then your distortion, then your effects, then delay, then any other effects you want afterwards. Each aspect can be customized individually so there are thousands upon thousands of tone possibilities from this pedal! The actual use of this pedal couldn't be much easier. You sellect one of the 32 banks with the up and down buttons, and then tap A/B/C/D for each individual tone. In fact, 32X4 means you can have 128 presets at yout disposal. Very handy! // 7

Sound: I am currently running the pedal through a Fender Standard Tele, or an Ibanez GRG-06 LTD MK2. It's running through a Traynor DG30D, which has a great clean channel and is pedal friendly. I had no trouble coaxing any tone I wanted to this amp. I modeled a JCM 2000 with a classic OD boost and got Slayer, a Mesa Triple Rectifier with a sub octave to ger Korn, and an Orange AC-30 with a mid-boost to get Rush. it's actually very easy to get any tone imagineable with this pedal. Mind you, it isn't the real thing by any means, but it will get you as close as current modeling technology can! One of my favorite things about the pedal is the selection. My bank 20 is set for A Grunge tone, a crystal smooth solo tone, a 70's "surfer rock" tone, and a piezo'd electric all at the same time. I hit one of the four corresponding footwtiches, and it's there! No pop, hiss or anything! Granted with a pedal like this, some of the effects do some repetitive. I personally don't find the need for 3 stereo choruses, but to someone more musically inclined, they may find subtleties between the three. And with the pedals built in compressor and noise gate, any unwanted sounds are easily eliminated. Even on top of that is an EQ setting! On top of the EQ you adjust for your modeled amp, you can fine tweak the EQ using 8 "knobs" for different frequency levels towards the end of your tweaking. Every effect on this pedal is useful. The flanging sounds real, the phaser is in depth, and all the choices for fuzz would make Hendrix happy. Believe me when I say you can get very close to anyone you feel like if you have a bit of time to sit down with the thing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built pretty solid. I like the feel and controls of everything, and the overall unit is sturdy. I have been babying it, so I wouldn't know what a good hard drop to the side of the unit would do, so I can't comment there. Visually, it moght get scratched and fingerprinted, as in the nature with it's glossy finish, but the unit itself could probably take a licking. It isnt the sturdiest thing ever made, but it would work. I wouldn't use this for a gig unless I knew what I was doing. Otherwise, game on! If you don't know what you're doing, it's easy to hit another preset than one you made and ruin the song you might be playing. If you know what you're doing however, you wont have any worries at all. All the effects work without fail, and I haven't heard it "crap out" or degarde in quality any since I bought it. I WOULD trust it without a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot. Calssic rock, tharsh metal, melo-death metal, and the occasional flamenco and I can rely on this pedal for all of it. I think it comes down to the amp modeling. While it is never the real thing you would get from the actual amp, it gives a very good impression of the sound you will get from said amp. So much so that in certain situations, I would use the pedal for professional recording. My huge gripe on this pedal is the uselessness of the mod, delay, stomp, and Comp switches. Why would you need to turn one of this off in the middle of a song? Some instances yes, but If I built my tone around delay, why would I want the delay turned off and everything else left on? In comparing this to the Boss GT-8, they both have there ups and downs. I find the interface and flexibility of this pedal better, but the quality of effects and variety on the GT-8 are slightly better. It's really your call. What I do miss from this pedal are some effects I wish it had: a harmonizer, whammy support, and a detuner. I could Live without all of these, and the effects loop on this pedal sllows for them, but I was kind of disappointed they weren't there. Overall, this pedal is great. It's easy enough to grab a preset and start jamming, or make your own tone as in depth as you want it to be. With nearly every effects built in, you won't get bored of this pedal soon. It's got enough of everything to last you for a long time, and you'll probably want to use it for a long time after sitting down and toying with it. I would definatly recommend this pedal to anybody wanting more variety and spice in their tone, and seeing everything a guitar can do without spending thousands of dollars. // 9

Pod X3 Live Reviewed by: GGP, on september 16, 2009

Ease of Use: First, this is not in my opinion, a unit for beginners. Having said that, getting sound out of this unit requires at least a basic understanding of different inputs, outputs, (i.e. digital vs analog). You may want to use the unit with your computer speakers, your headphones, your amp or all of these and so you must have sufficient gear, cables and accessories. Yes, you can use the unit out of the box with nothing more than a set of headphones, but that would be throwing your money away if that is your intention. Getting a good sound is completely subjective, but I felt that the many different default sounds were nothing more than templates, whereby you could modify the default 'tones' to get the sound you need. I don't think I found a single tone that I would use as given, out of the box. The manual is very small compared to the power and flexibility of the unit but it will get you started. Having a broad knowledge of effects and such is what will give you a real advantage using this unit. It is very intimidating at first, even for a seasoned guitar player. I think it is probably days before you will feel really comfortable with this setup? // 8

Sound: I have set the unit up using a Fender Twin Reverb (transitor unit) and used both the clean and dirty channels. My Guitar of choice is a Mary Kay Fender Strat. I'm currently using an Apple iMAC intel based computer and also use it with Windows XP on a Parallels virtual PC. Since I'm proficient with both the MAC and the PC platform, I really have no preference, and think that both will work equally well? I use it on the MAC primarily because I have Soundtrack Pro for recording. It works perfectly fine with this great software. I started out by using the onboard controls to program the unit for different models ('tones') and quickly gave that up in favor of GearBox software which is a God Send. Gearbox is the only way I would choose to program, which goes way beyond the setup functionality as it also gives you the ability to link up to online features that are incredible; including online tutorials, sharing of 'tones', downloading patches, downloading full upgrades and other software directly to the computer and to the POD itself. Without Gearbox, I would rate the unit itself several points below the overall '8' I'm giving it. The effects are a weak compared with familiar pedals like Boss effects, so don't throw out your pedals just yet. You can use them in tandem with this box with no problem at all. However, in general the Bass, Treble, Mid, Reverb, Delay, Distortion and Presence controls are more than adequate for most playing. Downloaded tones almost never quite get the real sound of any artist, but they can give you a close approximation sometimes. On other occasions I'm scratching my head wondering how tones that claim to sound like Hendrix or Jeff Beck or Steve Vai can seriously be compared? Most of the tones fall way short of the great sounds we are used to? However, did you really think you were going to sound like Hendrix for $500? Break out the Marshall stacks, a Cry Baby, and a good Boss delay and you probably already have 80% of what you need to get most classic sounds? // 7

Reliability & Durability: The unit is well built, but I think something like this needs to be 'overbuilt'. Keep your dust rags handy as the black polished surface shows up sweat stains like you poured grease on the unit. Dust, as we would expect, shows up dramatically on black, so this is not unexpected. Because I'm mostly a 'classic rock' player, I can usually get what I need out of a twin reverb and a few Boss effects, so I would keep my effects handy as a backup. I don't trust any electronics on the road, and any experienced player will tell you that your amps and effects will at times be totally unreliable no matter how well you build any piece of your electronic ensembles. Don't go without a backup of some sort, especially if you do the 'bar' circuit. Most smaller places don't have the proper power to handle a full band, and the band has dimmed the lights more than once by the time everything was plugged in. This is not a reflection on the POD Live itself, but rather just common sense. I haven't had a chance yet to see how the unit would behave in an under/over powered electrical supply yet! My battery powered Boss effects could be a life saver, but I can't say for sure just yet? // 8

Overall Impression: Since I play mostly standard Rock styles from the 60's, 70's and 80's, my favorite artists generally played fairly simple setups that only require a strong playing style, a good amp and a few effects. The skill level is really what it is all about. To expand my horizons, there are times I want to play Shred, Metal and so-on, and so the modeling capabilities of the POD Live allow me to do this with a minimal investment. Don't expect a 'dead-on' reproduction of your favorite artist, although you might get it for some? Probably more with the clean sounds than anything else. With 35 years of playing under my belt, I think that I can at least say that I know where my playing is weak as opposed to my equipment being weak. This will improve my ability to go in and out of various sounds (tones), but if I decided to be a serious Shredder at some point, I would toss this unit and just go out and buy the real gear. The clean sounds are very impressive and noise is not a problem if you use the gates properly and various tone controls. My biggest problem with the unit is the general gain/distortion available. It's on the fuzzy side, and sometimes in a very annoying way. However, I'm smart enough I think, to know that nothing is going to reproduce a nice distortion caused by tubes and/or a superb stack of vibrating speakers! I keep hearing how this unit is supposed to compare with the Boss GT-10 and I think it's a ridiculous comparison. The POD Live is first and foremost a modeling unit, designed to approximate the sound of many amplifiers, pre-amps, cabs, and effects. The GT-10 is an effects unit which is the real thing and not a modeling of effects. Apples and Oranges mostly. Get both units, and you will probably be in heaven. My favorite feature to date is that I can use my computer 18 Watt M-Audio Audiophile mini cabs on my computer and play along in GearBox to my favorite tunes, sounding pretty close to what I need. I can practice new sounds and techniques that would mostly require different gear than I currently own. If I lost the unit today, I would probably just buy a GT-10 or other Boss effects units, however that would mean giving up a lot of the online experience and the ability to find new sounds that I never thought of before. I'm simply not at the point with the POD Live that I can't Live without it and don't think that this will ever be the case. This is a great unit to explore new possibilities; to practice with; and yes, you can play Live with it obviously. For an old fart like me however, I'm too used to relying on my technique and a few good tools to do 90% of what I want and need to do right now. Buy the POD and expand your mind and then go out and get the real thing if you can afford it when you find the sound you are looking for. I will finish with saying that the POD is ground breaking stuff! You will be playing around with new tones for a long time to come if you are at all curious about what is outside of your current experience. This unit, if nothing else, has a potential to make you a better, more well rounded musician. // 8

Pod X3 Live Reviewed by: jamesr, on december 23, 2009

Purchased from: EBAY NEW

Ease of Use: Wow, this unit takes weeks to be able to use it in a Live situation. As usual the default presets have a few nice high gain settings, or if you luck out and play one of the 30 or so song presets. The gear box is a nice interface for the pc, but the problem is what sounds great on there usually sucks at gig volume through the PA. Then using the controls on the board sucks, but are ok for a fast tweak. But on of the biggest problems with these types of pedals, and holds true with the x3 are the volume differences between patches. If you use 20 or more it takes forever to level them. // 3

Sound: Well first off, I think it sounds terrible in front of an amp even changing the setting to in front of combo. It sounds better directly to the board, but then you are faced with a lot of feedback when using high gain patches. Guitar amps were never intended to have horns, so this rises the guitar frequency to a point that causes a lot of feedback. I play bass in one band and guitar in the other, so I got to try both sides of this pedal. On bass the pedal is terrible, almost everything sounds the same. It sounds like a cheap solid state bass amp. On guitar it does much better, but after 2 months of working on it I finally got a group of patches I was happy with. So I decided to compare it to my other rig I used for years. My other rig is a Fender tweed amp, with a few expensive analog pedals. That was a real eye opener, even after two months of tweaking my Original setup blew it away. Needless to say I sold it on ebay the same week. I will stick to a tube amp with analog pedals. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Built cheap, it has metal buttons that just push on small plastic toggle switches on the board. The plastic scratches easy, and most of the unit is plastic. The power cord is very thin also. But I had no issues, but search the net because there are a lot of reports of swtiches failing, locking up, and boards burning up. // 6

Overall Impression: I thought I would try one of these all in one units again. I tried one about 5 years ago, and hated it. But I thought they would have gotten better, plus this one also covered bass. Never again, it would be ok for a beginner that has nothing and wants to cover a wide rage of sounds, or for practice. But for gigging it just doesn't sound good enough. You would be better saving for a nice tube amp and start collecting analog pedals. // 6

Pod X3 Live Reviewed by: AndrewMuller, on may 01, 2008

Purchased from: Long And McQuade

Ease of Use: First let me say, this multi-effects processor is very easy to use. Near the top of the Machine are Knobs for Specific tone volume, verb (reverb), Treble, Bass etc. In the upper left-hand there is an LCD display which shows the loop order of the effects. Using the save knob you can quickly save and of the quick changes you make. In the middle of the board there are pedals for Delay, Modulation, Compression, Stomp Box and the Dual tone Switch. Any of these effects can be quickly turned off or on by hitting them, and double tapping them will bring up the menu for editing each effect. You can literally edit effects in seconds. At the bottom of the board is the standard 1, 2, 3, 4 for tone selection, and the tap (hold for tuner) button. Overall the interface is very user friendly and does not take long to learn. As of the end of April, the Gearbox software for editing patches is now available. To say this is an amazing piece of software is an understatement. It is the most user friendly piece of equipment that allows you to quickly access each tone on your POD X3 Live and change all the settings. It shows all the tones on your POD in a list so you can grab them and make all your changes. // 10

Sound: Right off the bat I will say that the modeling Line 6 has put into this piece of equipment is top notch. With over 70 amp models and 20 cabs, it's hard to run out of options when designing tones. In fact, it's impossible. Now that the POD has dual tone (hybrid) capabilities, the possibilities are endless. Being able to run two amps and cabs at the same time makes an infinite amount of tones available. While there are tones available at www.customtone.com, Line 6's online tone community, the best option is to make your own tones using Gear Box to personally suit them to your needs and equipment. While doing this is time consuming, it will get you the sound of your favorite artists, or the tone that will make you famous. Getting artists like Rage Against The Machine or John Mayer is definitely a reality with the easy to use Equalizer. Another important feature is the support for Bass and vocals. Just like with the guitar it's easy to use and very similar in setup. You would plug the Mic into the XLR inputs (it also has XLR outputs, something you usually need a Direct input for) and select one of the Mic presets. From there you can use the Dual tone capabilities and have a Microphone and a guitar or bass running at the same time. And it sounds Miraculous. The Bass options are almost identical to using the guitar effects. Overall the thing sounds Gorgeous. Starting from scratch, finding your amp and cab for the sound you want, and adding the effects has never been easier or more rewarding. // 9

Reliability & Durability: There's not much to say but, if I were a famous musician on world tour, this would be the Machine I use. I would choose it any day of the week over anything else. The only problem I have ever had with the Machine was when I uh... just kidding, I have never had any problems and I don't expect I will. // 10

Overall Impression: Playing a wide range from Stevie Ray Vaughan to Lamb Of God, the POD X3 Live suits all. Without it I fear I would be lost in the musical world. If it were stolen I would go bash my head on the floor for an hour. Then I would go out and buy a new one. The slim, slick looking Black design will make any guitarist look like a serious one. The only complaint I have is not with the Machine it self, but with Line 6 monkey. It was the program I used to use to transfer my tones around. Whenever a new update would come out I had to fully reinstall Monkey just to get it to work again. Now that the Gear Box software is out I'll never need Line 6 Monkey again, seeing as though I thoroughly enjoy creating my own tones, but I had to say something bad right? Overall, If you want pedals that will always work and keep your music going through the night, this is the one to get excited about. Don't even think about getting anything else, I've used "anything else" and it just doesn't compare. // 10

Pod X3 Live Reviewed by: shadowbane91, on january 08, 2009

Ease of Use: The POD X3 Live is a very straightforward pedal to use, it's also very conveniently labeled and the manual supplies you with everything you need to know on how to operate the POD X3 Live. it's easy to use yet it has so many tonal options to choose from, it's mind blowing! The four configuration knobs, the one save and scroll knob as well as the amp equalizer knobs make setting this beauty easy and quick, though leaning down to set it may cause back aches, but hey, no pain no gain, it's the same with any other pedalboard. The addition of an included USB cable and the Gearbox program that you can download from the line6 website is really helpful.It makes recording so much more easier and creating dream tones a lot quicker, and you don't need to bend down to use the computer. The expression pedal is also a step up from that of the XT Live, really hardy thing, love using it.The revolutionary part of this unit, is that you can download tones and patches from other guitarists around the world on line6's website, making it easier for beginners to get an idea of how they want to craft their own sound by looking at others, as well as allowing the more seasoned guitarists to share their views and sounds. // 10

Sound: As others have said before me, this thing can bring you from Hendrix to Malmsteen, to John Mayer at the push of a button. It has so many different possibilities that it's not funny! You have 32 effects and 78amp models are really impressive. I recall using my X3Live alongside my friend's JCM2000, I used the JCM2000 model and asked my friend to set it to his real JCM2000's settings. When we started playing, it sounded exactly the same, with just a very small notable difference. The only nerf I have with the X3Live is it's effects. They aren't as good as say the Boss GT10's effects and some of them sound a bit weak to my ears, still line6 are famous for their amp models, not their effects. Regardless, their effects are not really bad, they're just not as good as I'd hoped, still I can get really good tones out of it. I use an Ibanez SV5470 with the X3Live, and with the SV's versatility and the X3Live's massive tonal range, there's a plethora of different sounds and tones made available by this amazing effects unit.I play mainly blues rock, funk, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert and a bit of Jazz, the X3Live does it all and more.s // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank! it's never failed me yet, no slip ups, nothing. I'd always choose to play with a backup for security reasons if I had the choice of having another X3 Live, however since I don't, I always play without a backup anyway, it has not let me down yet! I've dropped stuff on it, and it's perfectly fine.The expression pedal does squeak from time to time though. // 9

Overall Impression: Brilliant effects unit, I use it all the time and if it were stolen, I'd break down into depression for awhile, then realize I can just buy a new one and put my old patches into it and I have back my old sounds once again! The amp modeling is definitely this unit's forte and for good reason, it's spot on. it's durable and looks like a UFO with it's lights and LEDs.I forgot to mention, it's convenient handles, makes it really easy to carry as well. All in all, the X3 Live is something I can't Live without, two thumbs up for line6! // 10

Pod X3 Live Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 26, 2012

Purchased from: Dawsons

Ease of Use: This is not easy to use, its takes a lot of fiddling and going back and forth between various screens to find you have almost got the right sound out of it. To master this you would need to spend HOURS with it! From my experience, I have spent hours with it and got no where. It simply did not have or I could not find the tones I were looking for (Also the TUNER is slow compared to other tuners I've used). The manual for it explains everything really well, but its an epic book. Software updates and pod farm make this pedal a lot easier to use, with presets made from other users of the POD X3 family. Likewise, torrent sharing. There are minimal functions on the pedal, which means your using the same "nobs" every time to configure something with you may consider very simple becomes very confusing and frustrating. // 3

Sound: [I use this with a PRS Guitar and an Orange fully valved amp [previous owners of Lost prophets] and I also use a Vox Valvetronix AD100 VT amp from time to time]. Sound is obviously Digital especially when your recording (with using it direct as it recommends), its very hard to hide this in a recording. Tweaking the levels i.e. bass, treble, mid, presence, I found to be somewhat difficult to use... I can't explain how, but I never got the sound I was aiming for at any point with the pedal. Its not noisy at all. In Regards to a live sounds, my problem is that it doesn't give a true bypass. The pedal messes with your tone a little bit regardless of whether you don't want to use it, Which further more messes up with my amp's natural sound. (AND YES I HAVE TURNED OFF ALL THE AMP MODELS, PRE AMPS, EQ's... Everything). However saying that, If you play in a metal band and you and you like a messed up distortion sound its probably a good buy for you as there are a lot of good messed up amp models distortion sounds. The sounds are obviously modeled like the line6 amps. Works for some people... But this digital guitar sound modeler live, imho sounds no where nears as good as analogue/valve live. Effects are pre set/modeled VERY weak, but since the pedal is very versatile it just takes you ANOTHER 30 mins of your time to realize the effects are actually very good! However as mentioned, configuring the effects to exactly how you like is a pain and time consuming. "Many of practices I've spent trying to work this pedal whilst the guys from the band were waiting on me to work the damn thing to get a decent tone. Its frustrating considering the money you spend." Also POD farm makes it very easy to get the sounds of other artist. However what they don't tell you is that you have to pay a subscription for this service. The distortions in my opinion are weak and very good. You don't appear to have that mid crunch sound. Its either full on or nothing. The modulations work perfectly! Its very good for that. The Wah pedal is a bit difficult to work, when compared to a cry baby. OVERALL Everything on it is very good, however without a true bypass creates a massive drawback to the pedal... Would actually recommend this to a beginner. One more thing! I did not find that the amp modelers on this was useful unless I was playing through a stereo hi-fi. After all what's the point of me trying to model my Orange amp to sound like a Marshall? It sounds awful first of all as a replica and doesn't make any sense. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Very Reliable and made like a brick! I've bashed mine all over the place in frustration, and its still in perfect working order. These are actually really well made! // 9

Overall Impression: Overall impression... FROM A GUITARIST OR BASSIST POV (I know it includes Vox but what the heck?) I play a lot of indie/rock/pop sort of music, and find this an awful match for what I play. I have been playing over 10 years and gig on a regular basis. If I wished I asked anything before buying this product there would have been 3 things: 1) Does it have a true bypass? If not, how does that affect my existing setup? 2) how easy is it to configure a GOOD tone? 3) which actually famous artists ACTUALLY use THIS Line 6 Pod X3 Live pedal? (think the answer to this is none, I've personally not found anyone). But either way if I did ask these questions it wouldn't have mattered at the time because there are too many ways to sell this pedal to overcome that objection. You have to own it, to realize what its like. If it was stolen from me, I would be gutted I couldn't of sold it on eBay. To add to this I think that if your a "bedroom guitarist/Bassist" or student or have no job, and wanna make a load of cool sounds and have the time to work at this pedal especially (on top of your mastering your guitar techniques) you could probably make a lot of versatile cool sounds. But it will be all digital... If you practice and gig regularly with a band, you'll either find that its got way too much on the pedal and you'll never use it properly because it consumes a lot of your time OR if your in a dirty metal band its closest to ideal considering the price. From a recording POV... If your after a quick demo that's gonna be above average recording... Its good for that. Metal bands, its very good. Otherwise I would NEVER do a 'full on' recording with this, due to it not having a true bypass, it just confuses things and makes things hard work! MIC and Valve amp all the way! // 5

Pod X3 Live Reviewed by: jesse1989, on june 25, 2009

Price paid: € 475

Ease of Use: Once I've read the manual it was pretty easy to get the sounds I like. There are output presets for recording, stacks, combo's. The sound wasn't so good before I set that right, so make sure to get the proper settings. There is a huge amount of amp/effect/cabinet-models, so it takes a while once you've tried everything; but the results can be amazing. Editing is pretty easy: just Pick your amp model and set it; after that you can set effects/eq/distortion/etc just as easy. The channels are very good accessible(Pick your channel with the arrow buttons, and then Pick A, B, C or D)when switching, the sound remains the same until you press A-D. The manual explains very clear anything you may need to know, nothing wrong with that. // 9

Sound: I'm using the POD with a Ibanez RG and a Line6 Spider II. But it works also fine if use my Epiphone or Marshall Valvestate. Noise can always be filtered out by the compressor in the pedal and it works great, the sound remains the same even with extreme settings. The effects always sound how they should sound(very nice), and they are very editable. Every effect has different models, and they all have their own 'character', just like the amps have. The Drive, treble, bass, etc. buttons react like the Original models do. I play Metallica, Iron Maiden, Children Of Bodom etc. and I can set their sounds very good, using Mesa Boogie and Marshall amps. But I just create sounds that I really like, and not for sounding like my favorites. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The floorboard is very strong and reliable and it's safe to put it on a heavy metal stage. I would use it without backup, but since I always play through an amp, I can use the amp as backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I use the floorboard for metal and rock, and it's great for that. It has a lot of different sounds. But it's perfect for most other styles too. I've been playing about 4 years now. I play on an Ibanez RGT 6 EX and an Epiphone SG-310. I have a Line6 SpiderII 75Watt amp and a little 15Watt Marshall Valvestate. I also have a Dunlop Cry Baby Wah Wah, but I don't really need it anymore since I bought the POD. If I would loose this pedal I would certainly buy it again, if I have the money for it. There's a lot I like about this pedal: the awesome sound, the utilization. The pedal looks and works very clarifying, It has so much features/options. I can't say what I like most. This was my first choice and I haven't tried any other floorprocessors. This pedal got almost everything I need, except a metronome; that would be very handy, but you can't expects that from a floorprocessor I think. // 9

Pod X3 Live Reviewed by: EhudH, on october 02, 2009

Purchased from: sam ash

Ease of Use: First of all let me say that I have been using a lot of analog effect pedals, and always loved the sound I got from them, and never really believed in digital effects or their ability to reproduce the "analog" sound. Until I used the this guy. Using it is very easy and there are a lot of great presets built in. Getting a decent solid sound is relatively easy, considering the amount of amps, cabs, distortions, modulations and other stuff you get to choose from. The "pilot's handbook" that comes with it is excellent and there is a tutorial part in it. The firmware can be upgraded thru your pc using Line 6's software pack and you can download new patches. // 10

Sound: I used to connect it to a Line 6 Spider Valve 112 but got too confused using the amp's own simulation and the POD together, so I moved the POD to my old practice amp which is a Fender FM65R solid state amp. I own a Fender american and mexican strat, an ESP viper, and Jackson DK2, all of them sound really good on the POD, of course you wouldn't expect a strat to sound very heavy, so I use it mostly for bluesy stuff and it sounds amazing with the POD. Every effect I used up til now was excellent, from heavy metalcore breakdown distortions to creamy cleans to flaming leads, they all sound beautiful. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had the POD for about 6 months and haven't had any problem swith it, but I haven't used it in a live show yet so I can't really judge. The foot switches are made of plastic so I don't know how long they will last if you plan on touring with it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly metalcore and thrash and some blues, and this is greafor each of them. i've been playing for about 8 years and have had several multy effect units but alway got disappointed when it came to the sound. If it was stolen I'd probably wait for a newer version of POD to come out. My favorite feature in it is the great "direct out" stereo XLRs which put out an amazing signal if you connect it to your audio interface on your pc. The only thing I wish it had is a loop sequencer. // 10

Pod X3 Live Reviewed by: Spade103, on february 26, 2010

Price paid: C$ 499

Purchased from: www.TomLeeMusic.ca

Ease of Use: The one thing i will say is "bad" about the POD X3 Live, is if you have no idea how to work something like this, and don't know what all these different settings do, you will not get a good sound out of it right away. Many of the pre-set tones sound decent, but not amazing, you REALLY have to tweak and play with it. // 8

Sound: I am using an Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom with EMG-HZ pickups on this piece. It sounds amazing. With a bit of tweaking, I can have that ballsy sound of Black Label Society, Parkway Drive, Killswitch Engage, Disturbed, Pantera, ANYONE. It has dozens of amp and cab models (including classics like Marshall JCM-800's and Mesa Boogie Double and Triple Rectifiers) with dozens of distortion pedals and Wah pedals and things like noise gates and compressors, volume pedals and EQ settings. It really is a jack of all trades. I currently have it hooked into my computer, playing through Gearbox. Be warned, if your speakers sound like crap, the Line 6 POD X3 Live cannot fix that. Put a few bucks into some decent speakers if you plan to play through them. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You can go gigging comfortably with this device (It's built like a tank). Keep the Hex Wrench handy though, because after long use, the pedal becomes a little loose so give it a few turns of the key to tighten it back up. // 10

Overall Impression: I mainly play Rock, Metal, Bluesy stuff and Hardcore. It matches up great to any style of music. There's different amps and cab models in there to fit anything you wish to play. If someone came up and managed to pry it from my kung-fu grip, I would certainly go out and buy a new one the next day. It's so diverse and, once you learn how, easy to use that i'd be hard-pressed to go back to a regular old amp and speakers. Line 6 improved upon their old POD models so much that it's nearly unrecognizable. One thing I love about it, is the POD X3 and POD X3 Live both comes with all of the downloadable amp packs on their website for free, so you don't have to go spending an additional $250 for a few more amp models. Bravo, Line 6. Bravo. // 10

Pod X3 Live Reviewed by: rtcx86, on may 12, 2010

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: It's not hard to get a good sound out of this thing. The interface is "fairly" intuitive. It has stomps for all the effects and the knobs and stuff seem to make sense. I'd say figuring out all the inputs and outputs is the worst part, and then the dual tone thing. Editing patches isn't bad, but it was a bit frustrating turning a knob to get every letter I wanted. I got mine on eBay, so I went online for the manual. I haven't really seen the need for a manual on this thing. // 7

Sound: I'm using this with my Carvin CT6 and running directly into my Rokit 8's, so there isnt' an amp coloring the sound. I have hooked it up to my big tube amplifier once or twice before, and when I did, there was like a rhythmic clicking sound... like a metronome but more annoying. It seemed to be an artifact of digital and analog components trying to talk to each other because I don't get the same thing when I run through monitors. Line 6 effects are geared for more hardcore players it seems. There's lots of high gain, metally, effectsy presets on the whole POD line, this is no exception. So for me, maybe not the best fit, but I can still get a good sound out of it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I'm not sure if I would use this thing on a gig without a backup. Maybe... I have had an issue with this thing where it seems like it's not getting enough power or something and it abruptly shuts off and makes a loud, deep, feedback noise through the amp or monitors. That certainly wouldn't be cool mid song. Ever since I saw it do that, I would be hesitant to debut the Pod on stage. As for its actual construction, it does seem to be pretty sturdy. The bottom of it is made out of some kind of heavy duty plastic. So it doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling that all metal stomp boxes give me, but it's close. I don't think there's any risk of breaking this thing. I suppose if the LCD screen got stepped on, that would be a big problem. There would be no way to know where you were in the effects settings or see what you were modifying. // 6

Overall Impression: I play with light crunch and reverb, mostly. So this thing is kind of overkill for me. I've been playing for about 5 years. I sold off all my pedals in favor of MFX about a year ago. I hate actually setting up effects chains and finding out which cable or unit is causing the noise... bleh. It doesn't seem to play nice with my MacBook these days, so that's a downside. If it were lost, I'd probably try a Boss setup next. I mostly went with this guy because it was on the cheap on eBay. I guess navigating and editing on the screen bothers me. I'd rather it were more stomp boxy, like those new Line6 stomp box modelers or an ME-70. I didn't really compare it to anything else when I got it. I had a Pocket POD and figured this would be a nice supersized version, which it basically is. I figure most MFX units in this class perform about the same so I didn't give it too much thought. // 8

Pod X3 Live Reviewed by: T4D, on december 17, 2012

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: I have used a Line 6 XT before for many years so moving to the X3 was easy took about 10 mins to find my way around, editing patches is pretty straight forward but much easier when you have the unit connected to a computer and use "Gear" the free software from Line 6. First thing I done was connect the unit to Line 6 monkey and update to the latest firmware (not trouble free) but after a few times trying turn things off and on it worked. One issue I did hit was once I finished install then went back to record using my main sound card Line 6 had taken over the input channel I had to turn and disconnect the X3 and restart my computer before the input on my mine sound would work again. Over all easy to use and learn but there are tech issues with everything nowadays. // 8

Sound: I play guitars with EMG 81 pickups and 85 or 60 in the neck, and some have Seymour Duncan Blackouts. So I'm more metal but I do love my blues too. Sound wise Big step up from my old XT and for metal testing in music store I prefer the X3 over the HD for metal sounds, not only do I think the X3 sounds better but there more amps are in the X3 then the HD models currently. Effect wise I think they are all top sounding the dual chain 2 amps and effect chains really give you alot of options. There are some amps that don't sound great (sound bit thin or too much treble) BUT really I have not played all the amps in real life so maybe there are correct. Just not my style? // 10

Reliability & Durability: Solid as a rock, built like a metal brick I have only had this unit for a few weeks but judging on my old XT (still working) I think this X3 will be here for many years to come without an issue. I would use this on a gig without a backup (but have a spare power supply on hand I have blown my 9vAC power supplies before) if it can handle rehearsal it can handle a gig, I brought this unit because I was gigging again and needed something more solid then my laptop and VST plugins. I look forward to testing this unit live. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 24+ years mainly metal and blues this unit is Top level it also has very nice clean sounds and does a good country tone too, I have a RP350 which I connect to the effect loop of the X3 and all works well. Amp wise I have a JCM 900, a 200 watt Vintage WASP tube amp & Carvin 1000W all driving 4 Marshall quad boxes. Over all I feel this X3 is far better value then the current HD Line 6 products for my playing style. I do use alot of VST computer software for recording, I mainly got the X3 for live and quick (computer free) practicing, and I would buy this unit again if it went missing I give this a 10 because I got it so cheap second hand and I feel there is alot of value in this unit compared to current new hardware.

// 10