PODXT Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 07/31/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Line 6: PODXT
PODXT is the new must-have magic box for outrageously uncompromising guitar tone. Start clicking around, my friend, and hold on to your hat.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 Ease of Use: 8.3
 8.1
 7.1
reviews (6) pictures (2) 26 comments vote for this gear:
PODXT Reviewed by: Gibsun_Rider, on june 09, 2005

Ease of Use: I have to admit it was very hard to get use to at first, but after about an hour I was getting the hang of it, I have had it for almost three months and I still have troubles making my own patches. The sound is the most versatile I have ever heard, from low melodies and bassy cleans to bad ass distortions and screaming cleans. Using the five hundred plus page manual helped alot. You can use www.customtone.com to get pre-edited patches for virtually anything you want. Using Line 6 Edit is simple too (this is the web-based firmware to control and edit custom tone's patches and patches already on the POD. // 8

Sound: Currently I'm using a Washburn WI 65 with Dimarzio pickups and a Crate GLX 212 Live Effects Combo Amp. Some patches make the guitar hum and feedback can be a bad issue, I don't know how to but you can set how much feedback is produced and also hum. It is really loud! it increases the volume of my amp 100%, some effects are weak and some are not, the ones that are weak are meant to be, you can edit them so they aren't weak and vice versa for the not so weak ones. I play alot of Steve Vai, Ozzy and the virtuosos such as Satch, EVH etc. anything is possible, through customtone. com I somply enter "Eddie Van Halen" in the search bar and it comes up with alot of particular song tones and some that just say "Eddie Van Halen Lead." One effect I like alot is the "Tube Screamer" a distortion based on the Ibanez Tube Screamer Pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on this thing anywhere anytime I wont break it is like rock! I would definetly use it in a gig, depending if I had the optional floorboard such as the FBV and FBVSB because you can't switch patches without it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything, but mostly hard rock and slow acoustics, its an amazing match for anyone, this thing is so versatile! I have been playing for almost three years, I own a Seagull S6 CW+Cedar acoustic, FBV Shortboard and that is about it, I really dont need anymore than that. There is absolutly nothing I should have asked before buying this. I would feel helpless without this thing although I love the distortion on my crate, I love everything about it. I often hear people telling me to get the Boss G8 or the DigiTech GNX4 but I think ill stick with my POD, I wish it came with the foot pedal! // 10

PODXT Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 10, 2007

Purchased from: Herried's Music, Chico, CA

Ease of Use: First off, I have owned my PODXT for three years now, so it's a little difficult to remember how long it took for me to learn the ins and outs of the PODXT, but it didn't take too long to get it down, and now that I do, I move through it with ease. I highly recommend taking the time to read the thorough manual that comes with it in order to get it down (it is fairly large, but you can skip some stuff to get the basics down). I also own the FBV Shortboard (a must). All you have to do with that thing is plug it in and go. // 9

Sound: I am an apartment musician (which means I use it with headphones almost exclusively for practice and recording), and I don't get to use it with an amp very often, however in a jam setting, I was able to find a decent tone rather quickly, and a few minor tweaks in between songs got some great tone out of my Peavy Bandit 112 (something I thought would never be possible). I use a Fender Strat with EMG pickups for rock and blues and a Samick Custom Strat copy with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge for the heavier stuff, and the PODXT makes both guitars sing wonderfully. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have never gigged with it, so I wouldn't really know how durable it is, but I have never ever had a problem with it whatsoever. Although I admit I'm very careful when handling it (I own the gig bag that holds both the PODXT and the FBV Shortboard), I have dropped it a couple of times, and the metal chassis held up without a problem. I bought the dang thing used, and there's hardly a scratch on it! // 10

Overall Impression: I play all sorts of music, and it handles them all beautifully. I have been playing for 12+ years, and it's the best piece of gear (outside of my guitars) I own. It is a great value (even though I find it completely necessary to buy the FBV Shortboard) and you get an amazing bang for your buck. The best thing about the PODXT and Line 6 as a whole is that they constantly update and upgrade their products with easily downloaded patches available on their website. I waited for three years to write a review of the PODXT so I could write an objective review, and this is it. If I were to lose my PODXT, or God forbid, it should stop working at any point, I would go right out and buy another one. I give this product my full backing. On a scale of 1 to 10, in the immortal words of Nigel Tufnel, this one goes to eleven. // 10

PODXT Reviewed by: nutinpwnsgibson, on november 19, 2008

Purchased from: amazon.com

Ease of Use: If this is your first multi FX, you are probably going to have trouble figuring everything out, and getting a good sound. I had already used several that I borrowed from friends, so I had some experience. I've had it for two weeks, and I've gotten a great sound, even though I still tweak it every day in search for the promised land of tone. I do a lot of the patch editing on the computer with the edit software. It'll take you a bit of frustration to get the POD to work perfectly with the computer, but it'll be worth it. The manual for it is pretty good, much easier to read than the Korg processor I borrowed once. There's stuff you can buy to bring out the best in the POD. One of those is a footswitch for it, and most of the Line 6 footswitches work with the XT, or you could get the model packs online, which give you even more amp and effects models. // 8

Sound: My guitar is a Squier affinity HSS strat. It sounds decent, and plays great. For monitoring, I'm running the left output into an Ibanez practice amp and the right output into a Peavey bass amp, but I plan on getting some nice computer speakers soon to monitor it into, because the way I have it set up, all the sounds from the computer go into the POD. anyways, the noise from the POD is nothing that can't be fixed by it's noise gate, unless maybe you have the Line 6 insane model with the gain over 50% and crappy guitar pickups. I don't really try to get my favorite bands sounds, I try to get my sound, which is kind of all of them mixed together. some of my favorite artists as far as tone-influencing goes though are bulb from periphery (Who uses a POD as a matter of fact), john petrucci, lightning-puppets aged Metallica, SOAD, Megadeth, mastodon, the list goes on forever. It can hit those tones great. I also have some blues/classic rock patches that aim torwards SRV, AC/DC, and led zeppelin kind of stuff. I can hit those nicely too. If your having trouble making a tone for a certain song or artist, you can search for a certain tone online at customtone dot com and download patches that people have put up. The effects on this are great, except the wah which I haven't tried since I don't have a pedal and I don't like parked wah effects, and the pitch-shifter, which is very inresponsive. One thing that's really great is that you can mix and match distortion pedals with amp models. So, do you wanna use a Fuzz Face with a Fender Twin? wanna hook up a rat distortion to a blackface? want to tighten up a rectifier with a tube Screamer? You get the point... another thing you might wanna note, is that you have to adjust the "what are you connected to" setting or else you might sound muddy. It took me a few days to realize that this was what was keeping me from getting better sounds. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've never gigged with it, but it seems pretty solid, and I haven't had any problems with it. I probably would take a backup though. If I was gigging I might have the rackmount version. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal, and this thing can get great metal tones. I've been playing for a year and a few months. I don't own any other effects or preamps. there isn't anything I regret about buying this, except for possibly saving up and getting the X3. If I lost this thing, I'd work my ass of to get it back. I really love how you can set it up as your computer's soundcard if you use the USB. A few effects are kind of meh, but those are the effects that I never/rarely use. I was going to get a tube amp, but I decided that I wouldn't get many chances to crank the amp, and it was way too heavy for me to carry around to places, so I looked at effects processors, and I'm glad that I took the POD over everything else. // 10

PODXT Reviewed by: -Blue-, on may 27, 2009

Purchased from: Friend

Ease of Use: If this is your first multieffects unit, you're going to be spending a while with the software just figuring out how to make the sounds you want. After a little bit of messing around, though, I was able to get some fairly good tones. The GearBox software that you can download makes everything so much easier, as you can search for premade tones for certain artists/songs and have an easier way to edit the sonds you already have. It also includes many more presets than are stored on the PODXT from he start. // 9

Sound: The guitar I use this with is a Schecter C-1+ with a D-Sonic and a Humbucker from Hell (both DiMarzio) in it. When I run it through an amp, it's my Crate V33-212, but most of the time it's hooked up into my computer sound system. The effects normally sound very good, although some obviously sound better than others. The big plus side here is that if you don't lke something about a tone, you can change every dimension of it until you do. If you use too much distortion, there is a lot of feedback and noise, but that's to be exected with distortion. I've been able to get sounds from artists like Foo Fighters and Metallica with ease. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This unit is very dependable. It's always worked when I've needed it to and it does work for Live play, however, I need to get the footswitch for it to use its full potential. The casing is bulletproof (or so it says on the box, I haven't actually shot the thing to test that), and it has survived a few drops with no damage at all. // 10

Overall Impression: I normally play anything from blues to hard rock, and this unit can get tones to match everything I want to play. The only thing I wish I had asked before buying this was how to set it up with the computer, since I spent a while attempting to figure that out. If this were stolen, I would probably buy another one. My favorite feature on the PODXT has to be that you can get any tone you want out of it, and that it works so well with the computer. The only other multieffects unit I've seen was my guitar teacher's Line 6 POD X3 Live, and this seems to do effects just as well as that did, though the convenience of the X3 Live being a floorboard is certainly a good feature. The only thing I wish the PODXT had is that it needs to come with a footswitch. Channel switching during a Live performance can be a pain, and changing sounds mid-song isn't even an option. Overall, though, it's a good buy. // 9

PODXT Reviewed by: dkennedy88, on january 28, 2011

Purchased from: Guitar Center, Arlington, TX

Ease of Use: I bought my PODXT used for $139.99 plus $24.99 for the PX-2 power supply, plus tax. I'm rather familiar with Line 6 products--I'm an avid user of POD Farm and GearBox for home recording; I've recorded in studios with a Vetta; and I previously used the Flextone II and Spider II and III amps for live use--so needless to say, there wasn't too much of a learning curve for me when acquiring the PODxt. Everything on this device is easy to edit, from amp model to EQ to effects, and even cabinet and mic models for that matter. There's even a feature in which the PODXT optimizes itself for what you're using it for, i.e. direct recording, in front of an amp, or as a preamp alone. Some of the more advanced functions might take some getting used to, like on ANY device, but one should find basic operations to be child's play. The manual, which I downloaded from Line 6's website, is over 150 pages long, and is rather in depth, from describing basic functions, to information about the amp models, to even more advanced use, such as re-amping or live use. I've had the device for almost two weeks, and its manual has proven very helpful. I'd definitely suggest reading it if you own a PODxt. Line 6 offers periodic updates of the software on their devices, and I recently just upgraded the POD software to version 3, via USB cable. Also, their Line 6 Edit software is great for saving tones on your computer and transferring them to and from your POD via USB. I'll rate this section a 9, because it is easy to use, however some of the more advanced functions might take some learning. Again, I'd say read the manual, and you should have no problems figuring this out. // 9

Sound: I am currently using my PODXT in conjunction with my Randall RH150G3 head and Marshall 1960A cabinet. I'm using the FX loop of the Randall to be able to Switch between the PODXT and Randall's preamp for tones, then feed either tone into the Randall's power section. For guitars, I use a Paul Reed Smith Tremonti SE loaded with EMGs, a PRS SE Singlecut Trem, and a Fender Strat from the early 90s with a Duncan P-Rails pickup in the bridge. Before I go any further, I want to say that if you're expecting the 1965 Double Verb model to sound EXACTLY like a Fender Twin Reverb, or the Brit J-800 to sound just like your JCM-800, then you'll more than likely be disappointed. The truth about amp modeling is that you may NEVER be 100% right on the money in comparison with the real thing. This isn't a knock or anything about modeling, I'm saying this because not even two of the same model tube amps will sound EXACTLY the same. What the POD does (as well as most other Line 6 products) is that it gives you amp/effect models that display characteristics of what we know and love about particular amps, and you can recognize what amp is being modeled with each model. There are virtually endless possibilities with this device, which is why I decided to use it as a second preamp in my A/B setup. There are a lot of great sounds on this thing, and some of the presets even sound good to my ear. However, some sounds I am not at all impressed with, and personally I think the best sounds are achieved on processors like this when the user tweaks their own sound. The sound quality is good, and rather usable, depending on what your uses are of it. Be sure to hit the tuner button, and turn the select knob to the right, to find the "What are you connected to?" feature. I love this feature. This feature optimizes the PODXT to sound best for what you are using it for. If this isn't calibrated right, the POD can sound rather muddy and unpleasant, but with it properly set, I've had no issues with sound quality. The noise gate is very helpful, and I do find myself using it a lot. My favorite amp models on the PODXT would be the models of the 60s Vox AC-30 Top Boost, the Marshall JCM-800, the Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier, the Orange AD-30, and the '58 Fender Tweed Bassman. I have also taken a liking to other sounds as well, but these have proven as my go-to models. Most of the effects are usable, and sound good. There are several Wah models (which work best if you have an FBV controller with expression pedal), a Whammy pedal model, several distortion/overdrive/fuzz box models, and several reverbs, delays, and many chorus, flange, and Phaser effects. These all sound pretty solid, except I'd say that most of the distortion pedal effects sound either too muddy or too tinny at times (but hey, even those have their uses!) I have found that I use the rotary speaker/Leslie effect quite a bit, and I love that sound. I'll rate this an 8, because I feel that most everything sounds good, as long as the POD is calibrated for what you're using it for; however, I still find some models to be somewhat lacking--not bad, just like there's a little something missing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Almost any and all of the Line 6 stuff I've owned or used is solid. This is no exception. Actually, one of my cats knocked it off of my amps yesterday, and it fell onto my hardwood floor. Nothing happened. I definitely plan on using it onstage without a backup, however a friend and I both plan on rackmounting it first (as I didn't get the PODXT Pro). // 10

Overall Impression: I play driving mainstream alt-rock (think Three Days Grace, Papa Roach, 30 Seconds to Mars, etc.) and this is a great match. I can coax about any workable tone I want out of this thing, and with the FBV Shortboard, most of it's done with one stomp. I was previously using both a Spider II head with my Randall and running them into my Marshall cab in stereo, which was always a pain, because levels were so hard to get right. Now I can run both the POD and preamp section of the Randall into the amp's power section--which drives the cab in mono--and still have more options, tonally. If it were stolen/lost/damaged/etc, I would seek a replacement POD. No question. I bought this over the used PODXT Pro they had at the same GC, because there was a $60 price difference in the two...only thing, this POD didn't come used with the power supply, which was another $25...no big deal. The only downside is that it's not a rackmount device, but anything can be made to fit in a rack. All in all, great buy. Well worth the money. // 9

PODXT Reviewed by: Robbgnarly, on july 31, 2013

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: This is the First POD from Line 6 that I have ever used. I have had several Line 6 products in the past, so the learning curve was not that bad for me. There are not as many amps, cabs or FX on the XT as the X3 or HD series. I do think most of the amps sound pretty decent for the age of this POD software. Patches are pretty easy to set-up and edit. There is a bit of a learning curve when it comes to the deep editing of the FX. You can literally spend weeks just experimenting with different amps, cabs and FX. It did come with a manual, which is a very large but informative guide on how to operate every function. // 7

Sound: I bought this POD XT for home practice. I live in an apartment, so I try to be kind to my neighbors. All I have for amps are tube heads and 4x12 cabs. I did buy a 1x12 Peavey Windsor studio for home use, but the sound was less than good especially with low volume. The POD XT actually gives me pretty good amp models and FX. I use a set of AKG K44 studio headphones for silent practicing. I don't think it is overly noisy on most of the amp models, but there are a few that produce more hiss. This is easily fixed by engaging the built in noise gate. I like the fact that I can chose a variety of cabinet sims with the ability to chose speaker type, size, mic and mic placement. I'm not a huge FX guy, but there seem to be decent variety of FX available and they are very tweekable. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I figure they must be made decent. I bought mine used and I have no idea what the previous owner did with it. It seems pretty reliable. I did not buy this to gig with, only for practice. I can see it being just fine gigging if you have the FBV short-board controller. I have thought about using it if I play a small gig that I want to use my 1x12 combo. I would just run the POD into the FX loop return and use the Tube power-section to help get rid of the processed sound that it has on some of the amp models. // 7

Overall Impression: I am really happy with the sounds and amount of FX. Yes I know there much better FX and modeling products out there now and the POD XT is a few generations old, but for home practice or the guitarist that is on a tight budget, the POD XT is a solid choice (and run $50-$80 used). You can get the POD 2.0 still ($199 new) but the POD XT has much better modeling, FX and cab sims. I have been playing guitar for 19 yrs and I think the POD XT is still a good inexpensive tool for musicians. If something happened to it I would probably get the new POD HD500 to replace it. But if money was an object then I would happily buy another second hand POD XT or X3. I really have limited knowledge of FX processors, but I have owned Line 6 products before and I also had a Line 6 FBV short-board doing nothing. I bought the POD XT because of its ability to use the FBV and because I wanted a silent practice tool. // 8

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review