PODXT Live Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 01/21/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Line 6: PODXT Live
PODXT Live is an uncomplicated, gig-ready tone machine that's portable and adaptable to different real world stage and recording environments.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.6
 Ease of Use: 8.8
 8.4
 9.3
 7.5
reviews (21) pictures (2) 60 comments vote for this gear:
PODXT Live Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 01, 2005

Ease of Use: If your are already familiar with Line 6 products like the PODXT and you love the effects and tone it delivers but was wishing for a floorboard to go with it, wish no longer because the PODXT Live is here. With close to 36 different amp models and 23 different cabinet configurations as well as mic type and placing, 27 different classic stomp box models, 24 modulation effects, 14 delay patches, 15 reverb patches, expression pedal and various EQ options this thing is a must have for the working musician as well as a nice piece for weaponry in the home studio. Right of the box this baby has great patches. For 1-8 slap on your headphones via the headphone jack and wail away and give the knobs a spin while you're at it. These patches are designed to be used through a mixer for recording or a live PA. The tone controls are just like those on an amp so it's so easy to adjust your tone and levels as well as via the "edit" button. But be forewarned, there is so much here to tweak you will probably have to take a 2-week vacation to really get to see what this thing has to offer. The next bank, 9-16 were designed to be used in front of an amp and again the controls are easy to use and this thing made my Fender Twin Reverb spring to life. This thing is so easy to use my dog could program it. The manual is informative and takes the guesswork out of editing patches and MIDI options. But you can use this thing right away without reading the manual. And as of this writing there are no updates for the firmware that I am aware of. I have used this device live through a PA which I have to say was a bit dodgy but that was due to my not really setting my patches correctly. I generally use a Fender Strat or my Fender 52 Tele reissue through the XT Live but I recently brought my Gretch Duojet from a deep sleep and plugged that in utilizing my blackface Fender Twin. You do have to do some tweaking depending what type of guitar you can use but you do have 32 open patches so you can create your own custom patches or download them from Line 6 and transfer them from your computer into your POD via the USB port. Try doing that with a vintage pedal. // 10

Sound: The manual is informative and takes the guesswork out of editing patches and MIDI options. But you can use this thing right away without reading the manual. And as of this writing there are no updates for the firmware that I am aware of. I have used this device live through a PA which I have to say was a bit dodgy but that was due to my not really setting my patches correctly. I generally use a Fender Strat or my Fender '52 Tele Reissue through the XT Live but I recently brought my Gretch Duojet from a deep sleep and plugged that in utilizing my blackface Fender Twin. You do have to do some tweaking depending what type of guitar you can use but you do have 32 open patches so you can create your own custom patches or download them from Line 6 and transfer them from your computer into your POD via the USB port. Try doing that with a vintage pedal. As far as the sounds go, that's a bit objective. There are very good ones, all of the distortion sounds are great and the vintage pedals like the Univibe sound like the real thing. I set up one of my patches for a Robin Trower type of vibe utilizing the univibe and Fuzz Face and it sounds good. In fact all of the patches and effects sound great depending on what guitar I am using. What sounds great for single coil pickups might sound like warm doo doo on a guitar with humbuckers and vice versa. Some patches are noisy but are noisy because the patch was designed to mimic a certain quality of whatever it's cloning but that can be remedied by using the built in noise gate but again you have to experiment which is easy, time consuming, but easy. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built rugged. Other pedal boards I have seen on the market are either made plastic or some other flimsy material. This thing is made of metal and has solid construction through out. The switches seemed to be sealed so there is no chance of liquids getting inside. This would be a device I would use without a backup but always have a backup anyway, its just good common sense. // 10

Overall Impression: I love the ease of use and the sound of this Machine. I love the fact it does not use a wall wart for a power supply but a nice long in-line transformer type. I hate the fact that the pad switch and headphone level are on the back of the unit. I tried the Boss and Vox versions of the same thing and I found the Line 6 had a lot more better tones and useful effects. Plus I already have a PODXT. I do wish it came with a carrying bag but instead you have to buy it separately for $70. // 10

PODXT Live Reviewed by: XrejectX, on december 27, 2005

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Ease of Use: This is the mother, the beast of all guitar effects, I think. The PODXT Live is the final edition to my effect pedal collection. Previously I have had the MT-2 Boss Distortion pedal and the RP-80 Guitar Modulating Processor, I kind of got an idea on how to use this beast and what pedals to use. This pedal offers endless possibilities on creating thousands of different sounds. Through the 128 preset patches, this baby is loaded. It can be quite complicated at first but once you get the hang of switching through the presets and endless amp models it gets easy. I was quite impressed on the simplicity, but for you people whos PODXT Live is your first, your gunna wanna read the manual. // 10

Sound: This pedal is perfect! No feedback, no noise, no hiss and total kick ass sound. Includes every pedal effect ever made. With a volume suppressor or can be used as a wah pedal to kick in for a solo without having to stomp through 5 different pedals! I definetely recomend this, with out question. There is absouletely no flaws. The sound is amazing. The effects always sound 110% amazing. Having trouble getting a distortion type for "Sad But True" by Metallica? Can't seem to find a matching sound or close? Have a Line 6 PODXT Live or I think any other Line 6 pedal? Then download the tone from www.line6.com. Download the tone for free. Ain't that great? And just transfer that tone from your computer VIA USB cable (included with the pedal) and voula! That is one of the many capabilities of the Line 6 PODXT Live pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can truely depend on it. I've only had for a day now. The pedal is built with a solid steel frame and body with a handy carrying bar embedded on the pedal. Try finding that on the ME-50. Defineley would use it at a gig. Hense PODXT Live. Buily especially for live performances, all with simplicity. // 10

Overall Impression: I play hardcore metal, with some blues in the mix. And no matter what you play, this pedals got the effects. I would butcher the person who would ever steal my pedal. I absoulety am amazed. My fave feature is the distortion and like phaser. And it's got plenty. I really recommend this product. You can check out for yourself the capabilities of this pedal @ www.musiciansfriend.com then hit the search button, type in PODXT click enter, the first picture you see is that. Scroll down after clicking to you see a list that says like classical, metal, chem X. Click metal and enjoy the possibilities! // 10

PODXT Live Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 30, 2006

Ease of Use: After spending the past 20 years using just a few small pedals in front of a Marshall, I decided to get one of these things. I was afraid I would be unable to figure out how to operate it, but boy was I surprised. It really is laid out for a guitarist in mind. I was glad I did not have to email Line6 to find out how to turn the chorus on. In a very short time I was able to get any effect I wanted to work. // 10

Sound: Using this with the ol' faithful Marshall, and my 2 main guitars, a Les Paul Custom with DiMarzio super distortions, and my original Charvel with a single DiMarzio and a floyd rose. I am able to get pretty much any sound I want from '50s syle guitar tone, right up to the tones used on CD's released this week. Best of all, that "brown" sound comes easy now. I wonder if Eddie has one of these now? // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far no problems to report. I really don't play out much anymore, so I cannot say how well it has held up on the road. I do drag it back and forth to jam at my friends studio about once a week. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly '80s and '90s hard rock and metal, from Van Halen to Motorhead. Since getting this, I have found I like playing other styles more often. I have been playing since I was 9 years old. How old am I? Well let's just say I remember waiting for the "new" Kiss album, Dressed To Kill, to arrive in the record store! I would buy another one 100% if this one got lost. There are only 2 features that seem to be missing. I can't seem to figure out how to initiate time warp. I sure could have used this thing back when I was in high school! Groupies. How do you get them to materialize? Now not only can I play like just about any rock star, now I can sound like one to! // 10

PODXT Live Reviewed by: abhimanyu, on december 27, 2006

Ease of Use: Getting a great tone on the POD XT Live isn't a snap; this is in fact because the processor is so powerful. There are several parameters to configure, and each of them drastically affects the tone. It takes a while to get used to it, but after you've figured out your essentials (noise gate, compressor, EQ and reverb), you can keep those as standard and fiddle with the rest. However, if you've got a computer, it's dead easy; just plug in, and every setting is right there on screen. Tweak your head off! In the end, the effort and time are worth it. The manual is very well-written, with a smattering of humour, and great descriptions of the various amps and effects available. Reading it cover to cover once should clarify all your doubts. What's great is the first page, which is a quick start-up guide: great if you can't wait to stomp on it and hear what it sounds like! Also, it's best to use your POD XT Live with an internet-enabled computer, so as to be able to update the firmware regularly. I think we're on v3 right now, and they've added several new Wah effects and amps. It's really easy to update with the free software provided. // 9

Sound: I'm using an Ibanez AX30 (2 humbuckers), and a Randall VMax 30 amplifier. While the guitar's pickups offer a pretty hefty output, the amp gives a very clean, dry sound. This is mostly a good thing, since the POD lets you configure so many amp settings, and the more neutral a sound your amp provides, the better. The processor offers a lot of combinations of effects that can be noisy (such as a Treadplate amp & cabs with full gain on the distortion), but you can tweak these to get rid of the excess noise. And since there's so much to configure, you've got to work hard to get the sound you want. But unlike other processors, the POD lets you tweak as much as you need, and you CAN find that sweet spot with a little effort. The tones produced are very realistic, and sound great in any setting, be it the studio, practice room or on stage. You can get pretty much any guitarist's tone on this processor. It's especially easy to dial up the classic sounds of Joe Satriani, Slash, John Petrucci, Pat Metheny, Dimebag Darrell, Trey Anastasio, John McLaughlin, Eric Johnson, etc. The vast array of effects at your disposal allow you to recreate any tone you fancy, and each stompbox/amp/cabinet is reproduced wonderfully. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I totally depend solely on my POD for my tone. It's got everything I need, and works brilliantly in every setting, every time. Once I got this, I've never thought about a backup. It's remarkable how sturdy this thing is. It's made of metal, and the buttons are large and can take a stomping. // 10

Overall Impression: I play hard rock/grunge/classic rock/jazz/blues, and this processor offers a wider variety of options to get fitting tones for each genre. I've been playing for 5 years now, and it's great to finally have real control over my sound. I'd definitely buy this again if I lost it. I love the realistic, professional tone, the huge number of options, the choice to turn effects on/off within a patch. The sound of this processor is IMO far superior to products by Boss, Behringer, and Zoom. Perhaps the best multi-effects processor available today. // 10

PODXT Live Reviewed by: piratepunk12345, on january 30, 2007

Purchased from: hershburgers

Ease of Use: It takes some time to learn how to get your own sounds out of it and it takes time to figure out how to download new effects, but if you have the sounds in it. It is simple to use for it is on the floor so you can play and change at the same time unlike the original POD. I didn't get much out of the manual tho. And in fact haven't used it hardly at all. I got the upgraded system and I had the metal expansion pack installed and it's perfectly awesome. // 9

Sound: I use Ibanez guitars and either a Rogue or a Crate amp. Most set ups aren't noisy and most don't give a whole lot of annoying feedback but some of the wah set ups could be toned down to get a better sound out of it. A couple of effects seem to almost double other ones, and some are kind of cheazy but if you get an extra expansion pack or learn to get your own set ups. Those cheazy effects won't bother you. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is very reliable. I do use it on gigs. and I only have one. I had 1 problem of the pedal squeeking but just lube it up umm correctly and it will be fine there isn't really a whole lot of electronics where the pedal is. Most are on the other side of the unit. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a little of everything and I haven't had any problem getting the sound I want 'cause if I find something close but not perfect, the slightest tweak makes it perfect. I've been playing the guitar for 12 years, and I've had the PODXT Live since not long after it originally came out. I would definately want to keep one around it helps for recording and you could play ur guitar right off of a pa system using this board. // 10

PODXT Live Reviewed by: Brendan.Clace, on august 21, 2007

Purchased from: A Friend

Ease of Use: This is where this box loses points. Although for the more advanceced guitarists/musicians, this box is very unfriendly to new people. The manual is a great read, and very helpful, if you have the time to read it. It takes tweaking to get the perfect tone, but when you do, you won't need/want anything more, this thing sounds absolutely amazing. My friend kept it updated like crazy, and I like to do the same. Really easy to update with Line 6 Monkey, and as for editing tones, you can even do it on the computer with Line 6 edit. Some great product support, if I ever had a problem, the Line 6 forums were great. // 8

Sound: I'm using my B.C. Rich warlock, with this plugged into a Peavey 1x12 amp, but through the effects loop as a speaker only. Little to no noise from the speaker, unless using a specific stomp box model such as the tube screamer. The effects always sound great, and the bubblee echo is by far my fav. I don't play covers Live, so I'm not really too concerned about getting artist tones, but when I tried to get Alex Lifeson's tone to cover Limelight just for fun, I went to the Line 6 forum first, and found someone had already created it. The support group is my favourite part of the Line 6 site. The distortion is really ballsy, from modeling a Dual Rectifier, to a JCM-800, to a Fender Deluxe combo. You can do anything with this board, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking into multi-effects. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Line 6 Beefy Metal Stomp Box, most dependable, reliable box I've ever used. This has not failed on me at all, and even if it does, there is the support group online, and if that didn't work, I'd just buy a new one. These are just that great. I would not even bother with a backup on stage, these are built for the stage. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal/southcore/alternative and some heavy rock, and this provides every tone I could ever dream of, and more. I don't think I hate or dislike a single thing about this board. If you want all of the tones out there, on one box, this is the box for you. If this were lost/stolen, I would cry, and then buy another one. // 10

PODXT Live Reviewed by: guitarguru134, on september 08, 2008

Ease of Use: Well I bought this thing about a week ago when recommended from a friend. I was originally looking at he Boss ME-50, which had1 dist pedal, no amp settings, and a mod and delay pedal with some other doodads. But I wanted to be able to record riffs right into my computer which the Boss did not have the capability to do so, also it only had 1 channel and 3 pedals so I couldnt get any phaser than a chorus sound if I wanted to. It comes with 84 stompbox and studio effects, 36 amp models, plus 24 cab, and 4 mic models-all. storable to 128 programmable channels. I got it right out of a little box and plugged it in, and have to say.. I wasn't really impressed. I was actually rather disappointed. It is very easy to get sound your looking for in it, but it just takes A lot of time. Patches are quite simple to edit, you have about 40 open patchs to edit yourself. 21abcd to 30abcd I believe. you am really not sure what some of the effects are supposed to do because I did not receive it with a manual, and I can't check if my unit has been upgraded because the guy didn't give me the USB cable. all in all I give it an 8 for ease and editing. // 8

Sound: I have an Ibanez S470DX (with infinite pickups) and a Fender 25 watt Champ300. Not the best amp but it does it's work.:p For the most part it really isnt that noisy on the metal shred amp settings, yea you get some buzz, but that can be easily taken care of with a Noise Gate. I noticed taht all the clean amp models sound a little dirty and creamy through my amp. I think it might be because my speak could be split. but if you set ur bass mid and treb to 5, it should sound like the amp it is imitating. One thing I did really like is thhe endless supply of what you can do effects wise. Like dialing in speed and frequency and everything to every last digit. They are definitely good sound effects, if you stick with the standards. I bought this thinking it would have some Killswitch Engage presets like the spider amp does. the POD doesnt't.:( so I am on a very long Quest to fiqure their sound out, which isnt fun. I really dislike the distortion in the amps, and the fuzz boxes. They just have to much buzz and even the noise gate doesnt't keep it from buzziing while you hit a chord. I just us meh Boss metal zone distortion pedal with this, and use the amp modeling to give it more ummph, but I stay away from their distortion. Good thing I bought this for the recording and mod and delay effects. oh yea and one other thing is the Reverb sounds really tinny, I highly dislike. // 8

Reliability & Durability: With the metal construction and pedals not just being little stubby buttons, I would say this thing could withstand some really good beatings. I would say that this thing would be very realiable in the field but has some problems with certain amps and PA systems if you don't connect them accordingly. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal, (killswitch, All That Remains, Avenged 7fold). I didn't buy this thing for metal sounds, more the digital effects so, I guess it's fine. I could Live without it. I've been play for 3 years, so I'm not that awesome, been playin through a Fender Champ 300 with a Ibanez S470DX. I've heard that this thing sound really could through just a standard PA speaker system, I guess because all the settings are flat. Of someone stole this thing, one thing I would say is they would look like a dumbass lugging this hulk around, I prly would end up buying the line6 amp with the same settings and stuff, with a footcontroller, just because I need a better amp. I haven't had this thing long enought to adore it, nor despise it, but I am especially found of the volume pedal for volume swells. As I had sayed earlier I wass looking at the Boss ME-50, which had 1 dist pedal, no amp settings, and a mod and delay pedal with some other doodads. But I wanted to be able to record riffs right into my computer which the Boss did not have the capability to do so, also it only had 1 channel and 3 pedals so I couldnt get any phaser than a chorus sound if I wanted to. I would have gotten the Boss or a Zoom zfx recording unit, with a tube in it and some basic mod settings. I am glad I got this but think it will take some time before I am especially found of it. // 7

PODXT Live Reviewed by: Amer91, on may 29, 2009

Purchased from: A friend

Ease of Use: The Line 6 multieffect pedal is one of the greatest. It's extremely easy to figure out how to use this pedal, but it's hard to get your desired tone out of it. You'll have to experiment with various amp/stomp box combinations and try out various EQ settings to get the tone you're looking for. The patches are easy to edit, you select which amp model you want, the cabinet, the microphone, how far you want it and other amp-related settings. Then you can select the stomp box (Drive or distortion), the mod effect (phaser, chorus, flanger...), and the delay setting for each preset. You have 32 channels and each one has four channel memories (A B C D). So you have 128 total presets. You flip between the channels with the bank buttons, and you choose the channel memory with it's corresponding button, so it's not complicated at all. Once you're done, you just press the SAVE button to store this preset. I usually prefer to edit my presets using the Line 6 Edit software available for free at www.line6.com. The manual explains how to work with this pedal, and describes the amps and effects in it. It wasn't very useful because the pedal is very straightforward and doesn't really need a manual. // 8

Sound: I use a Yamah ERG 121 (I know it's not the best but I had to sell my old Ibanez), and a Roland Cube 15 amplifier. The sounds are great, but the high-gain amp models like the Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier, and the Marshal JCM800 can get a bit noisy, but the noise-gate takes care of that problem. Most of the amp models in it are great, depends on what kind of tone you're looking for. The stomp box models are great, and I really favored the Screamer (Based on the Ibanez Tubescreamer pedal). I normally use it as a boost for the solos. I play everything from Death Metal, black metal, progressive, shred, blues, even jazz and funk occasionally, and the POD XT Live is amazing for nearly every genre of music you want to play. Even the Wah models sound close to the real ones they're based on. Some of the presets that came with it sound great as well, and give you an idea on how you want to shape your sound. One thing I also like to do is set the expression to modify the Flanger time which gives really weird alien sounds. I also liked the Bender effect (Based on the the DigiTech Whammy). I was able to dial in a nice Iron Maiden Setting, as well as John Petrucci lead setting, but unfortunately I wasn't able to save the latter because my friend unplugged the pedal by accident. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is built from metal so I think it could really take beating, but I haven't dropped it so far because I try to take good care of my gear. The expression pedal is pretty sturdy and smooth and can handle quite a lot of weight, but I wouldn't suggest putting all your weight on it. I would definitely use it for gigs without backup because I don't worry about it breaking down. // 8

Overall Impression: As I mentioned before, I play a wide range of styles and this thing is built for almost everthing! I have been playing for a bit over 5 years and I've been looking for one of these pedals for about 6 months now. When I took it home I was blown away with how amazing the sounds in it were. If it were stolen I would be devastated, but I'd buy another one instantly because it has everything I need in a pedal and more. I was not sure whether to get this or a Boss GT-6, but after trying both pedals, it was clear that the XT Live is WAY better. I love how it's easy to use, and how you can update it via the internet and download tones for it online. There's nothing I hate about this pedal, it's simply amazing. I only wish it had 2 expression pedals one I could use as a Wah/volume and the other as a Whammy pedal. But it's no big deal. // 9

PODXT Live Reviewed by: christian068, on january 21, 2013

Purchased from: The Rock Shop

Ease of Use: It can be fairly easy to get a good sound out of this beast, but I find it depends on your guitar and the build quality of your guitar. The POD I use get's used by about 4 guitars, though more often than not it's being used by mine. My guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul, whereas my band mates have Fender Telecasters and G&L Legacy's, as well as a few Cort Acoustics and a Washburn Acoustic. All of these guitars have their own characteristics and require some fine tuning to sound good, but you don't have to do much. I haven't read the full manual, but I have read bits of it and it has been very well explained. Editing patches is easy too and can either be done in a studio, or on stage in the middle of gig in seconds. // 9

Sound: I used to run through a Marshall, but after 3 months we were no longer happy with how it sounded and we decided to run straight into the Sound Desk. This made things very easy as we never had to worry about properly placing a microphone and with a direct input you only need to EQ it every few often. We use 4 or so guitars. The main one as of late being mine, a Les Paul Standard by Epiphone. My band mates use it when I am not available to play a service, in which case they either use the Fender Tele or a G&L Legacy. The effects sound great and are easy to customize to how you want them. We have several presets of our favorite artists. From memory we have about 10 presets dedicated to John Petrucci, 5 for David Gilmour, as well as several for BB King and Steven Wilson. We also have several great sounding Mesa Boogie amp presets which are great fun. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Never have I had the PODXT Live fail during a service. The only time was because the circuit running all the instruments and lighting equipment decided to fail, but that was an easy fix. The POD is extremely durable and can take a hit. It's been kicked again and again (on accident), but no matter how much we deal it it keeps on going. It's seriously heavy duty and there is no need for a backup. But we do have a second just in case something really goes wrong, or if we have more than one electric guitarist. The POD is probably the most durable piece of gear I have ever used. // 10

Overall Impression: At my church we play a lot of stuff, from the quiet songs through to songs with chunky lead riffs in Drop D. The POD takes it all in it's stride and continues to perform day in and day out. If it got stolen, or something happened which rendered it unusable, then we would probably upgrade to a newer POD, or replace it with the same type. I love how it can take a hit and continues to play without issue, I love how you have the option to play direct into a Studio Input, an Amp Stack, or a PA amp (XLR output), I also love the variety of outputs it has. L/Mono, Right, Midi, XLR, the option for a second pedal is a bonus too. Nothing really beats it really. My favorite feature would have to be the Whammy and Delay presets mixed together, you can do really awesome stuff with those two features. I wish it had a Flanger, that would be the icing on the cake, but it's not really something that's needed. // 10

PODXT Live Reviewed by: ibenezgax70, on april 26, 2006

Ease of Use: Really easy to use. Was intimidateing at first but if u read the book you will be makeing pedals left and right. Dont over look downloading the stuff from Line 6. It is cool and will help. You can get cool patches from other people on the site and you can submit yours. The manual is really helpfull. You really need to just sit down and mess with it though to know what changes what. I have the free v 3.O from Line 6 witch is a slight upgrade and the FX effects witch come with the board. // 8

Sound: I use a spider 2 with an Ibanez GAX70 most of the time. The effects are awsome. They do what they say they do and if you combine them they can sound really cool. Sounds of your favorite artist are no problem. You can get one of the internet and tweak it or make it yourself. I personaly like the Killer Z, the wah (auto and manual), and bass overdrive. // 9

Reliability & Durability: You can depend on this greatly. My bassist actually ran the corner of this over and the thing is still like Brand New. That part of the board is a little dented and a little bit of the finish came off but that stuff adds style. The thing is all you need to play any show. No need for a back up. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly clean in my band but I like to play distortion and many other things. There is nothing you can't play with this board. I have been playing for about 2 years hard. I also own a crappy acoustic, a Harmony, and a crappy Yamaha. I have a mini Marshall. The salemen told me everything. If you ask. I would kill the person who stole this and if I couldn't get it back I would sure as heck buy new one. I love the versatility and everything you can do with it. I kinda want two sepparate peddals for volume and wah which can be done if you buy the attachment peddal. I love the wah the best. I compared it too the Boss 8 and picked the Line 6 because of simplicity. This thing has everything I cant think of anything else I would want. // 10

PODXT Live Reviewed by: Hendrix1970, on july 12, 2006

Ease of Use: At first it was highly difficult to use and I basically stuck with its factory programmed effects. But after an hour of toying around with it started to get a hang of it. The best tone that I was able to get out of it was just by altering some of the factory patches to my liking. It's very easy to edit individual patches. All you do is step on a patch, A-D, and push edit. You then use two knobs to program each portion of the patch which are amp, stomp, mod, and delay. The manual that comes with it is fairly long but it gets the job done due to the fact that it's well organized. // 8

Sound: I use a Gibson SG Standard through a Mesa Stiletto Head and Speaker Cabinet. On certain distortions a lot of feedback is produced this can be gotten rid of thanks to a built in noise supressor. The effects themselves are very strong but very digital also. That can be a major turn off to some people but I like it alot more than just straight amp distortions. I really like the Eddie V Eruption setting. I just altered it a bit to my liking and I use it for lead playing in every song. The best settings are the clean tones and even though you can find a good distorted sound, most of them or on the border between good and bad. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The POD is very sturdy and does work quite well live. It's the only thing I use during gigs because I know that it won't break down. You can be very rough with it but it'll last. Me being a lead guitarist, the volume pedal works very well. I can have it lower when I'm playing rythm and I can turn it up when I need to play a solo. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal and the POD combined with a Mesa works very well. I've tried out a lot of pedals but this is the one that caught my eye the most. It does have a wah pedal but you're better off not relying on it. I bought a Dunlop 535Q and its movement is much better than the pods. If it were stolen I would hunt the guy down and take it back. This thing costs Four Hundred Dollars! I love the clean sounds and I hate some of the far too digital sounding distortions. Out of its various amp models and effects I wish it had a Whammy pedal. There are various other things to say about the product but you're better off testing it at a local music shop yourself. But be wary you'll be spending a lot of money. // 8

PODXT Live Reviewed by: SMK626, on july 24, 2006

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Ease of Use: It takes a quick getting used to get a good sound of it, it would prob be best to use its USB cable to connect to your computer and use Line 6 edit to really get the tone you want. Either that or do it manually which isn't that hard. If you have any questions the manuel describes them well. Every effect, amp model, or anything. // 9

Sound: I use mine with a Marshall half stack and a ESP EC-1000. This thing is noisy if u want it noisy and quiet if u want it quiet. The effects are great and really controlable but I only wish it had a harmonizer and acoustic sim. You can get sounds of many artist with this, it has a online bank of pre-sets that u can find to get ur fav artist tone. it comes with patches already in it for certain artist like Eddie Van Halen, Black Sabbath, and even Steve Ray Vaughn. The only thing that pissed me off was the fact that you have to buy some effects and amp models online for about 40-50. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can truely depend on this thing for any gig. The god damn thing gets beat so badly when I play yet it hasent given out one bit yet. Its really a great durible peice of work. I already have gigged with it and I can't imagine going without it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great product. My first impression was that the pre-sets, sounded like a circus and I was disappointed. But when you start making ur own, you feel limitless. The tones are very versitle and worth it. What I love is the versitlity, what I hated was some tones u had to buy online and it cost around 40-50 bucks. Overall it's everything you need for gig, even if your amp is crappy jus play with this and you have an arsenal at your disposle. // 10

PODXT Live Reviewed by: greengrass, on july 25, 2006

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music in Nashua, NH

Ease of Use: I have been looking for an effects unit for some time and had my eye on a Boss GT-6 or a ME-5. I never really considered the POD because I thought it was very complicated. That was until I bought one. It is so easy to work with the POD it is a little bit more difficult to do it at the terminal but thats only because of the limited display size. It's excellent for making tweaks here and there real quick. One thing that is great about editing the POD is that all the software is free, it's Mac and Windows compatible (I use Winxp in my studio/office and Mac Tiger on everything else) although the editor for Windows is a little more user friendly. The manual is somewhat detailed but the advanced stuff you Pick up as you go. You do have to know somewhat what kind of amp or effect sounds like but it's explained in the manual sort of. // 9

Sound: Right now, at home, I run my POD through my Win PC and output through my Marshall MG30DFX. It's okay for just messing around but I never gig with that particular amp. The great thing about this unit is that I can get phenomenal tone with both my '05 Ibanez SZ520 (with the duncun p/u's and Gibson chrome covers [treble is wicked hot]) and my '04 Ibanez AW120ce. I'm not an Ibanez guy, these guitars just sound wicked good compared to many guitars many times their prices. When I gig, I run through a Peavy 12 channel mixer, a Crate power amp, Berringher EQ and two 15" PA moniters. Obviously even as excellent as the POD is, it won't turn my Marshall solid state into a Mesa Triple Rectifier, but the better system you run it through the fuller and better the sound is. The tone that I most favor is the Mark Tremonti tone of Alter Bridge and Creed. I love him, his rig, his guitar (both the PRS sig and his Taylor 614) and his dirty tone. Unfortunatly the ones online don't really cut it so I think I will have to get the Metal model pack.:( The TS808 is great, I put it after a 65 Fender Twin, and it sounds wicked good. I think all the effects are replicated the closest to their originals as possible. I think some of the Flange and Delay effects are kind of complicated, but thats me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Can you depend on it? Of course. I was going to get a DigiTech GNX3000 on a Monday, changed my mind on Tuesday, got the POD XT Live on a Wednesday. Got home at 4:30 took it out of the box wrote two presets and gigged with it and my acoustic at 6:00. No backup. If it failed, I would have had to play it unplugged which would have been fine but I need the volume. I have since gigged three times with it with both acoustic and electric guitars for about an hour each time. This thing is wicked durable, the case is metal (not el cheapo crap paper thin metal) but 1/8 maybe thicker steel plate. There is even a guard for the knobs so you don't crush those while working the upper pedals while not looking. One small problem I had with mine is the exp. pedal squeaked a bit, but it just needed some lubricant. The one thing I didn't like about it is that it didn't come with any case so on that first gig, I had to bring it in the box it came in. The next day I got a medium sized Pelican case for it, mounted some wheels on the bottom. So now, I have an excellent floor unit, a bulletproof case and a new stage cart. Which is great because I cut my trips to and from the truck in half. Just pile everything on top. If you want a premium board with just about every amp and effect you could ever want, with a rugged shell, Mac/Win interface, and just plain phenomenal tone, get the Line 6 POD XT Live. // 10

Overall Impression: I play just about everything except Bluegrass and Rap/Hiphop. This unit does it all. And I mean every tone you could want. If it isn't on the stock list it is surely availible on one of the two expansion packs. I have been playing for about 9 months, and cant ever put my guitar down. I play an Ibanez SZ520. The new one with the stock Duncuns. I put a pair of Gibson chrome covers, just to add some eye candy. I also play an Ibanez Acoustic Electric AW120ce with onboard eq. Let me say that these both sound phenomenal through the POD. This unit is everything I wanted and way way more. If someone clipped this I would go out and buy another one followed by the most savage beating of the person Who stole it. I love everthing about this unit especially because it can be edited with both Mac and PC. I had mainly been looking at the Boss GT-6's on ebay but I was convinced by several people to dish out the extra hundred bucks and buy the POD. The only thing I think would be useful is to have all the expansion packs included and have the wah activated by the "tap" pedal and deactivated by stepping off of it similiar to the Morleys, rather than the current setup like the crybaby's and whatnot. Well thats about it. If you don't have one and want a wicked nice pedalboard for a not extremely pricy price, get a POD XT Live! // 10

PODXT Live Reviewed by: liam45, on october 02, 2006

Ease of Use: When you first buy this it takes a while to get to know how to use it. I definitly advise you to read the manual before you attempt to set it up. The manual has a one page quick start guide which is great if you want to start playing straight away. It is extremelly easy to get a good sound out of it thanks to it's 128 preset sounds. It is split into 32 banks of sound (12 of which are for you to create your own sounds) and each bank has 4 sounds in it A B C or D. It also has 42 classic and modern amp models and 24 cab models plus about 100 of the most sought after stompboxes modulation settings and delays. It also has a pedal which can be used for wah effect or volume. Once you have read the manual it is extremelly easy to create your own patches using the simple edit and save functions. You can choose from any amp, cabinet or effects you want and even choose where you would like to mike the amp. // 10

Sound: I am using this with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and a Marshall MG30DFX (I know it's not the best amp in the world but it works for me..) and it sounds fantastic. The noise gate feature is great as it cuts out nearly all of the feedback or interference etc. Most of the effects sound amazing especially the distortions, you can get almost any sound you want out of this thing e.g. Metallica, sum41, jimi hendrix, eddie Van Halen, almost anything. However some of the sounds like the modulations etc. sound a bit digital but this doesnt't bother me that much, you can hardly notice. One great feature which alows you to the sounds of your favourite artists is the Line 6 edit feature which lets you get patches that other PODXT Live owners have created to sound like famous artists from the site www.customtone.com. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I could definately rely ont his. I have Gigged with it several times and have not had a problem and I used without a backup as I am confident this will never fail. This thing is made out of solid metal and I am sure the US government uses the same metal to make it's tanks it's that strong! // 10

Overall Impression: I play all styles of music from Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold etc. to the likes of jimi hendrix, Billy Talent and Blink 182 etc. I have been playing guitar for about 6 years and I also own a Dunlop crybaby wah and an old Boss distortion pedal. If this product were stolen or lost I would definately buy a new one and I would congratulate the robber on stealing such a good effects unit! My favourite feature of this product is the ability to create your own patches and create almost any sound you want and recall them at ease fromt the push of a button. // 10

PODXT Live Reviewed by: line6playa15, on october 18, 2006

Ease of Use: Very easy to use. I can get whatever sound I want out of it. I contains all your favorite stompboxes and amps so just Pick one and the controlls are just like what are found one the actual thing. Very good manual. Read it twice to get all that the pedal has. The pedal has had one upgrade that include new wahs and some new effects. Editing patches are easily made and changed. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Line 6 HD75 head with a line6 cab. I practice on a spider 2 15. I play an Epiphone les paul, an Epiphone electric/acoustic, and an Ibanez GAX70 with this product. All the effects are great and never noisy due to the option of a gate. This eliminates all the noise while not playing. Say your looking for a patch for street have know name, got it already. This pedal comes with a ton of already made patches for you to use while playing your favorite songs. If it doesnt't have it, download it through your computer and upload it to the pedal. Line 6's site has a tone shop where you can get all the tones you want for free. I would say all the tones are great. There are so many I haven't experimented with I can't say one that I have used is bad. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on this pedal to hold me above shark infested waters. I have a personal testomony, my basist actually ran over one side of the pedal. The pedal was unaffected! I had sat it down in my bag and she was in a hurry to get out of there so she backed up and unfortuanitly my pedal was in her way. It is made of solid steel and the carring handle is firmly bolted to the body. I would use this at a gig without a backup anyday. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this product is, how should I say this, great! I've been playing for 3-4 years and have plenty of experiance with pedals. This is the best. If it were stolen I would kill the person that stole it and then buy a new one. And I wouldn't loose any presets either because you can back all of them up on your computer, which I've done. I don't hate anything. I love the whole thing. My favorite feature is the sure amount of pedals you can create with it. You can have over 100 pedal groups and each group you can have a modulation, a delay, a stompbox, and and amp set up. I don't wish this thing had anything else. Some may think it needs more of something like amps. It may but there are plenty for me. Get your butt off the couch and go buy one now! // 10

PODXT Live Reviewed by: JonWorms, on august 27, 2007

Ease of Use: Very easy to use, but takes a little getting used to. Anything you need to edit is right in that menu. The manual is very detailed about how to operate the PODXT Live, and it's an easy read. Firmware version 3.01 right out of the box, but upgrading is a snap with the Line 6 monkey software. // 10

Sound: Holy crap does this sound good! I use it for practice all the time via the headphone jack. It has a really good size of amp and cabinet models built in. And if you want you can purchase more model packs from Line 6. It has more effects than I know what to do with. With built in stereo outputs you can really do some wild delays. If you're running through your guitar amp, make sure you bypass the preamp and go directly to the power amp, also, when doing so, turn off cabinet models, they tend to make the sound a little gunky through another cabinet. Eventually, I hope to have two 4x12 cabinets and two power amps, using the PODXT Live as my preamp right there at my feet! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This think is bullet proof! When I bought this thing, I had originally gone there to Pick up a DigiTech GNX4, but the DigiTech just looked junky. The foot-switches are tough, it has an all metal body to it, and the expression petal is heavy duty as well. Another thing that I like about it is the fact that they put a bar by the amp control knobs to protect them just incase I miss the pedal with my size 13 shoe. // 10

Overall Impression: This product is great for any sound you're trying to achieve. If it were stolen, I'd definitely buy a new one, than I'd hunt down the one Who stole my last one, kill him, and take take it back, than I'd have 2! which is even better! I wish it had more petals though or maybe an add-on for an E F G and an H foot switch. Another note, some of the factory presets sound kinda dumb. Before you form an opinion on it, try it out, learn the interface and make your own sound. This thing just sounds awesome. It even makes my 300 dollar Ibanez sound expensive. // 9

PODXT Live Reviewed by: harrychowmein, on april 11, 2008

Purchased from: Rock Shop

Ease of Use: Hey guys I got the PODXT Live new about 4 months ago and I am yet to have any problems with it here are my thoughts on it. you will surprised how easy it is to edit and create patches on this pedal when using the computer software, is it possible to make almost any sound you want. But the same cannot be said about trying to edit patches with out the software as it can become very hard to find your way around with only the tiny screen to see information on. This could be easily fixed in the next model with a bigger screen but over all I find it very easy to create and edit patches using the pedal its-self and the computer software software. I found the manual for this pedal awesome, it tells you every thing from what amps and effects they modeled to the history of each amp and effect they modeled. Over all the PODXT Live is relatively easy to use. The only thing that I would change would be the Screen size, if it was a little bit bigger. // 7

Sound: The set up I use with this pedal consists of a Jackson guitar, a Boss Loop Station and a Line 6 100 watt amp. Personally I have had no problems due to my set up, I rarely get feed back due to the pedals great noise gate. I like to play a lot of different music from metal to blues to ballads and the pedal can handle them all. What I think is really cool is that if you don't want to try and make a patch for your favorite song you can just go to the line6 website and download a patch made by Line 6 or, you can download one from the public tone exchange forum in which you can trade, download and post the patches you create. Every one of the Effects on this pedal is amazing and they never stop amazing me. Although there is one thing that could be done a little better and that is the wah, I think it could be a little thicker but that is just personal Preference. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The whole pedals casing is made from metal and is very sturdy, the foot buttons on the pedal are nice and big and are very tough, so if you get a bit carried away while jamming and give it a bit of a stomp you can rest assured that the pedal should be fine. The Volume/Wah Pedal is built very tough as well, unlike a lot of multi effect pedals line6 has gone out of the way and built this one out of metal. I think this is great because some times it can be very hard to be gentle on the wah pedal while doing a face melting solo. All of the knobs on the pedal have a small metal bar which stops you from bumping or kicking them. I think that this is great because a lot of pedals have all their knobs right next to the foot switches which in the past has caused me trouble. And I do and will continue to take this to gigs with out a back up. // 8

Overall Impression: Well this pedal certainly has a load of effects for all sorts of different types of music and yet more you can download and buy. My overall impression of this pedal is that it is Great, I would buy another if thing one was lost or stolen. When I went to by this pedal I had to Pick between this and a Boss ME-50 and I picked this pedal because it stood out. Thanks for reading my review of this product, I hope I have helped you decide wether to get one or not. // 9

PODXT Live Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 06, 2009

Ease of Use: Everything about PODXT Live was amazing. I figured everything out within the first minute without reading the manual. I plugged it into the stack that I use and it didn't over power the amp even with distortion. I was able the change the patches easily and I'm only 14. If you need it the manual tells you everything about it how to use it, what amps and effects are on it, etc. // 10

Sound: I use a Heritage s150 custom through the PODXT to a Music Man amp. When you get it out of thee box you might have to adjust the parameter of the volume a little bit to fully mute but it does just fine if you like it a little loud it will be great. All the effects are great. And if you go onto Line6.com and make an account and download gearbox and go to Custom Tone and type in your favorite artist like mine Lincoln Brewster you can sound just like him. Line 6 takes others rigs and forms them into patch for you to download and use. Every effect sounds phenomenal through any amp I bought a little Vox 15 watt hybrid and it sounds great and through a 100 watt combo it sounds the same not in a bad way. The effects are never bad. Now if you have a little extra money to blow then totally go for the X3. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I love how lightweight it is for all the features. I can even use my little cousin as a roadie for it and she uses 1 arm. it is very durable I've dropped it on accident a couple of times and it still works. I've stomped on the buttons and they were still reactive after.. I would use it at a gig without back up and never worry about it not working. // 10

Overall Impression: I play many different styles(rock, classic rock, praise and worship, country, and metal) and worked superbly once I got the right patches. I've been a guitar player for 6 years and doing various other instruments since I was born. There is nothing I wish I'd asked before I bought this.If this were lost I would save up for the X3 but if I was really impatient I would buy this again. My favorite feature is the expression pedal that doubles as the DigiTech Whammy pedal. I hate how the screen is so small. I love how fast and responsive it is. I compared this to the Zoom gtt.2 and I originally really wanted it but ended up getting this because it had more features. I wish it had a larger LCD screen but overall it's the best I've ever owned // 10

PODXT Live Reviewed by: jonoh248, on january 07, 2010

Purchased from: Local guitar store

Ease of Use: The Line 6 PODXT Live sure has alot of effects. It sounds good on the whole but after time, you begin to realize the distortions, wah and flanger all sound very digital. In my opinion, it's just too much stuff. It's unnecessary. It takes alot of effort to find and set-up exactly what you want. I have to do alot of squinting at the digital display, trying to figure out certain numbers. There are adjustments you can make that I personally think are really not needed. I turned my back on digital things like these after buying it. I do adore technology and all that. But the XT Live is just way too much. // 6

Sound: I use a Fender Stratocaster Plus mainly or a Gibson SG Custom. I have a Marshall JCM800. The Line 6 XT Live seems very messy and noisy to me through my amp. It's an effect pedal to have when you have no amp for a gig. A pedal that could especially be more useful in churches. The effects for me aren't just there. It's not solid, not full/whole. I doubt any of the great guitarists would use digital multi-effects. I play AC/DC to B.B King to John Mayer to Paramore. A whole range. Maybe the XT Live might work for alternative rock like Paramore but just barely. The 80% of the distortions suck. The delays and reverb are excellent. The rest are mediocre. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's very big and hard. It would definitely be something you can drop on someone to Hurt them real bad, like concussion bad. It can stay on for hours and nothing bad happens. It doesn't need a backup. I've dropped it and spilt water on it and cracked it and it's still good. I've had it for 1 year. // 9

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and blues mainly. No the XT Live is not at all good for me. I've been playing and performing around the east coast for 19 years. I own a original Marshall bluesbreaker, EHX Holy Grail reverb, MXR distortion 3, Ibanez TS808 Tubescreamer, Keeley katana clean boost, crybaby wah 535Q, some Boss volume pedal, Line 6 dl4, t-rex replica and a Fender Blender. The XT live sounds nothing like what I already have. My advice is to just get the real thing. Get electronic not digital. If my xt live got stolen, I wouldn't care. All I'd use the xt live for is the delays and reverb. // 6

PODXT Live Reviewed by: guitargod1985, on january 24, 2011

Purchased from: guitarcenter.com

Ease of Use: VERY EASY to use right out of the box, although it DOES take some playing with to learn. You can get ANY authentic amp sound you want IF you know what you are doing. Many people say the amp models are not as good as the real thing, but I disagree for this reason: You can have 4 of the same amps (IE: Marshall JCM 2000)... All four amps can sound completely different tone wise, quality wise, etc. It's about the user, NOT the amp. Same theory applies to the PODXT Live. If you want it to sound killer, it is easy to make it sound killer. Just learn the tricks and you have MANY famouse amps in ONE unit. // 10

Sound: Again, I've been playing guitar religiously for almost 10 years. I've heard MANY different "real amps" and many modelled or "fake amps" from all of the popular and maybe some less known manufacturers (Gorilla anyone?!?!) The ONLY brand that I rely on to produce identical amp tones is Line 6, and in specific, the PODXT Live. LEARN THE DAMN THING and you can do this, too... As far as amps I've tested it through, they include a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401, a Fender Bassman 212, a Peavey 5150 (I and II), a cheap Epiphone practice amp, and (currently and always from now on) my own amp creation, An ART TPS II set on guitar warm running into a dbx compressor/limiter/gate into a vintage, perfect condition Phase Linear 400 power amp (Left Channel) into an 8 ohm Marshall MG412 Cab (used to be a Marshall JCM 800 cab, but I honestly didn't like the speakers' sound as compared to the MG412 speakers')... It sounds amazing and VERY authentic. As stated already, I took a lot of time and careful Precision dialing in my tones, and they sound IDENTICAL if not BETTER then the amps they are modeled after.... // 10

Reliability & Durability: WONDERFUL! I think the quote is "Built like a tank"... I agree, like a Panzer... I have stomped the SHIT outta this thing and it works like it did the day I took it out of the box... This IS my pedalboard, preamp, and crowd pleaser. This IS my signature sound. I would only back this unit up with ANOTHER identical unit. // 10

Overall Impression: I would replace it INSTANTLY if the wrath of the Titans (that's what it would take) destroyed it... I have my backup pedals and amps, and I would use them if I had to, but this unit is far SUPERIOR and I would cry if I had to put it in the tin caskit in the back alley... This is my sword and shield for the studio and stage; my armory so to speak... ALL BOW to Line 6! // 10

PODXT Live Reviewed by: pitimor, on february 15, 2011

Purchased from: Online auction

Ease of Use: PodXT's controls are very intuitive and easy to learn. But there is somewhat of a learning curve. Most amps won't sound good when you just choose them and play. Very many people complain about fizz, and it happens on big number of models. But you can make most models sound very good. You just need to experiment with settings, especially with equalizer. You can always make fizz disappear with tweaking (hint: fizz on most models can be fixed by cutting 9.6kHz frequency on the equalizer). With exception of this, PODXT is very easy to use. Trading patches with the computer and direct recording requires just a USB cable and some small programs. // 7

Sound: I'm using the PODXT with Ibanez MTM2 guitar and Marshall Valvestate 8100, usually plugging it in the poweramp and using modelling to get my sound. There are sometimes fizz issues like I said before but they always can be fixed with proper settings. And then PODXT sounds just great. I have my band, but I like playing covers as well, so I have to have a good sound choice. And I managed to nail sound of my favorite bands very well. Slipknot, Whitechapel, Slayer, Korn, AC/DC... Those are just few of sounds I managed to recreate with playing with settings a little. And they all sound very good. As I said, amp models are great with enough tweaking. PODXT has also a lot of effects. Distortions, choruses, flangers, it has it all and they sound just fine in my opinion. I also liked Wah models very much, you can easily get Wah sound Dimebag-style, and I love this sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have it for a while and it never shown a hint of failure. The casing is metal, I often wear heavy boots when playing and sometimes I will kick the footswitch too hard, but nothing ever happened - it's tough. I use it without a backup and I'm never worried that it will break. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly various styles of metal, so I need to get good hi-gain sounds and PODXT succeeds at it. But you will also be able to get good rock, blues tones as well. The cleans are great as well. I'm not an effect guy, typically I need just a good hi-gain sound and sometimes a wah, but when I want to play around with effects, PODXT has every one I can imagine. If it was stolen, I wouldn't rest before I would beat the crap out of the thief and I definitely would get a next one. I recommend this product highly for any music style if you have just one thing - patience with tweaking settings. You have it, the PODXT Live will satisfy you. // 9

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review