Relay G30 Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 05/05/2014 category: Guitar Effects
Line 6: Relay G30
Plug In And Play! Really easy, you just plug the receiver into your amp and the transmitter into the guitar and turn them both on.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.6
reviews (5) pictures (3) 21 comments vote for this gear:
Relay G30 Reviewed by: Beefyfrog, on october 20, 2009

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: PMT

Ease of Use: Plug In And Play! Really easy, you just plug the receiver into your amp and the transmitter into the guitar (cable included)and turn them both on, on the same channels obviously. It has 6 channels which is more than enough for a band needing to go wireless! // 10

Sound: I use an Epiphone ZW Bullseye Les Paul and an Orange Rocker 30 head w/ cab and it sounds just like a cable! I honestly could not tell the difference between my cable and the Relay G30. No noise turning on and off... Pretty silent, no buzz or anything. You can tweak the sound thanks to the 3 way selector "Off", "15" and "30" which I pressume makes it sound like you are using a "15ft Cable" or a "30ft Cable". // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Battery life on the transmitter is 8h I haven't timed it yet but I don't think I will ever be doing 8h of gigs without being able to buy more batteries, I don't think I would use it without back-up (always have cables handy) because nothing is flawless. If I had to change one thing, it would probably be to make the receiver metal, because having it infront of my pedals means it has to be on the floor, and I don't think the plastic would cope if I stood on it. // 7

Overall Impression: I have been playing since December 2005 so getting on to 4years now and I play all styles of music, from Blues to Metal (think Bullet For My Valentine -> Pantera) and it doesn't matter what setting I have my amp on, there is no buzz. If it was stolen/lost I would definitely replace it as soon as I had the money :). I'm giving it a 9 because it does exactly what I need it to do, but I haven't had it long enough to really test it in a Gig situation! Only time will tell! // 9

Relay G30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 12, 2011

Purchased from: MOR music , York, UK

Ease of Use: As simple as a wireless system can be. 2 AA batteries in the transmitter, reciever powered up with mains adapter. Choose the same channel (six to choose from) on each and get playing! I didn't like the "cable simulator" settings, so just use it straight. I use Duracell rechargeable batteries, and it easily does two gigs for each charge. The normal jack input is a major improvement on other systems. // 10

Sound: Sounds closer to just using a lead than any other system I have used - Samson/Sennheiser etc. Sounds like a Les Paul through an Engl should. No extra noise whatsoever. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Used heavily for two years - around 300 gigs and no problems yet. I would say don't be rough with the battery compartment door when changing batteries. // 9

Overall Impression: Pro guitarist for over 20 years, doing around 150 gigs a year. Gibson Les Paul Classic in white (!) through Engl Screamer with MXR Carbon Copy delay, Boss tuner and Keeley Tubescreamer (George L cables). First wireless system I have ever liked. Never had any interference or other noises, good range (I sometimes play big festival stages, no problem). Reliable and very little difference in sound to using a lead. If lost or stolen, same as would apply to the rest of my gear, I would replace with the identical model. // 10

Relay G30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 23, 2011

Ease of Use: BEFORE YOU BUY! Line 6 tech specs claims approx 8 hours battery life, I never got more than 100 minutes out of a fresh set of alkaline (Duracell) batteries. I went through 4 sets of fresh batteries before returning it for a refund. You can not gig with this without having to change batteries between sets. And when the batteries run out you have to power down the receiver before it will reset. The battery door latch is an absolute pain. I returned it after 2 nights performing with it. // 1

Sound: It sounds great until the batteries run out. The rest of this is a cut and paste from the ease of use because this site has a minimum character requirement. BEFORE YOU BUY! Line 6 tech specs claims approx 8 hours battery life, I never got more than 100 minutes out of a fresh set of alkaline (Duracell) batteries. I went through 4 sets of fresh batteries before returning it for a refund. You can not gig with this without having to change batteries between sets. And when the batteries run out you have to power down the receiver before it will reset. The battery door latch is an absolute pain. I returned it after 2 nights performing with it. // 1

Reliability & Durability: Nothing more than a toy. You can't gig with the short battery life. The rest of this is a cut and paste from the ease of use because this site has a minimum character requirement. BEFORE YOU BUY! Line 6 tech specs claims approx 8 hours battery life, I never got more than 100 minutes out of a fresh set of alkaline (Duracell) batteries. I went through 4 sets of fresh batteries before returning it for a refund. You can not gig with this without having to change batteries between sets. And when the batteries run out you have to power down the receiver before it will reset. The battery door latch is an absolute pain. I returned it after 2 nights performing with it. // 1

Overall Impression: What was Line 6 thinking? Did they think we wouldn't notice when it shut down (ran outta batteries) in the second set? The rest of this is a cut and paste from the ease of use because this site has a minimum character requirement. BEFORE YOU BUY! Line 6 tech specs claims approx 8 hours battery life, I never got more than 100 minutes out of a fresh set of alkaline (Duracell) batteries. I went through 4 sets of fresh batteries before returning it for a refund. You can not gig with this without having to change batteries between sets. And when the batteries run out you have to power down the receiver before it will reset. The battery door latch is an absolute pain. I returned it after 2 nights performing with it. // 1

Relay G30 Reviewed by: Inversemetal, on october 10, 2011

Purchased from: Dawsons Liverpool

Ease of Use: I've had this wireless pack for a few months now. It's really easy to use, very simple controls on both parts of the system. So simple in fact that I haven't yet opened the instruction manual! The battery life despite other reviews I've seen is fantastic. And when the batteries run out, changing them is easy. Going to rate the ease of this system at a 9 purely because of the simplicity of having 6 channels and flicking between them is effortless. Also the receiver is the side of your average Boss pedal so it fits easily into a pedal board and uses the same power as a pedal too! // 9

Sound: Line 6 have included a feature called Cable Tone which allows you to simulate the tone as if you were using a cable. But to my ears this makes no difference at all but the wireless itself doesn't change the tone much anyway.I've used this both live and in the studio purely because I hate getting wires caught in the door whilst recording and it sounds amazing, only fault is that it cut off a few times but that was my own fault for not changing the batteries I think. Rated an 8 because the cable tone could be more accurate. // 8

Reliability & Durability: My only fault with this product is the clip on the back which is glued on poorly and came off within days. However I solved the problem with a sweatband and a cable tie which hasn't failed me yet. Like I've said I use this live because I tend to trip over wires a lot being the clumsy one. It's also good for jumping to FOH to hear the sound from the audiences perspective. Reliability wise this is about a 9 but durability is a 6 purely because the plastic feels really cheap and obviously the clip fell off! // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, I don't believe this system is worth 280 to be totally honest. But Dawsons was the only place where I could purchase one in Liverpool with Curly not having them in stock and Dolphin SHUTTING DOWN! :( Regardless, I'm happy I chose Line 6, our other guitarist has a Sennheiser Freeport and the transmitter on that thing is HUGE! Looks really awkward to work with live. And the Line 6 Relay is small, reliable and very easy to use. Could be cheaper though in my opinion. // 8

Relay G30 Reviewed by: makutoid, on may 05, 2014

Purchased from: Line 6

Ease of Use: Ease of use? Couldn't be easier! Out of the box, into the guitar, done. If you're using it with other wireless microphones or other gear then you might have to toggle between RF1 and RF2 until they match, but that's the only complication I've found. If there is a manual, I only ever had to refer to it for that.

You do need to make sure that nothing else is on the same channel, but that's no big deal. I once had my guitar going through the wireless microphone receivers by accident... oops! That's not exactly a hard fix though, simply change the position of the sliders on the transmitter and receiver units. // 10

Sound: I've been using this unit in various rock bands and at church for the last 2 years, and have found it be absolutely perfect. You can genuinely hear a significant difference in sound from a cable to this wireless unit. The digital preservation of your guitar's tone in second to none, I was incredibly surprised and have continued to be completely impressed ever since.

If you like what a cable does to your tone, you can use the cable simulator option and chose the length of cable it should sound like. This seems pretty pointless, as it's basically giving you the option to reduce the quality... but whatever! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Having used this for 2 years now without fault or damage, I can confidently say it can be very well relied upon! Some people comment on the security of the battery compartment flap on the transmitter, but in all fairness all you have to do to secure it is push the latch a little when you close the flap. It takes all of half a second and very little brain function to achieve, some people just like to complain over nothing I guess.

In terms of battery life, if people say it's only worth a single gig then they are very wrong and have a faulty unit! I gig at least once a week and practice once a week, and use this unit for both, yet only change the batteries every other week at the most. It lasts plenty of time and if you're not a snob about what batteries you use then it's not really that expensive. I use the red band Duracell, which are very cheap and just as good in my opinion! // 10

Overall Impression: I think the only thing that's a problem with the G30 is the short range. It's transmission range is pretty impressive, I've managed to get about 30 metres away before it starting to stutter, but it does start to pick up some latency fairly quickly. If I go from the stage to the sound desk (about 20 metres away) you can hear a delay. It's fractions of a second and hardly noticeable, but it does start to lag. But that being said, it's designed for small stage use!

That's the only problem I've had in all honesty. The sound is amazing, it's very reliable, battery life is pretty good, and it has plenty of channels. I've used a few analogue wireless units before and you can tell they lose something of your sound through the compression, but this is perfect. // 10

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review