ToneCore Echo Park Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 08/28/2008 category: Guitar Effects
Line 6: ToneCore Echo Park
Based on the award-winning DL4 Delay Modeler, Echo Park is loaded with unbelievable sounding models including Analog, Tape, and Digital Delay. Different delay patterns such as slap, ping pong, swell, and sweep can be adjusted with the twist of a knob, and the Mod dial can be tweaked for even more variations. Also features Tap Tempo and stereo ins and outs.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Ease of Use: 9
 8.3
 9.2
 7.3
reviews (4) 11 comments vote for this gear:
ToneCore Echo Park Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 03, 2005

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Ease of Use: This is one of the new pedals from the ToneCore set created by Line 6. The learning curve of this pedal is not an issue. All the knobs are very easily layed out and are very self explanatory (the "repeat" knob edits the number of repeats or "echo's", the "time" knob edits the quickness of the echos). All and all this pedal gives you no issues with getting a unique sound out of it, and simulating another bands sounds for covers is incredibly easy. I did have a small issue with learning how to use the tap tempo feature, but the time it took to learn it was well worth it, (this could have been a personal learning curve). The manual has about 8 patch settings as examples, and there all pretty nice ideas. // 10

Sound: I use my Showmaster (Fender) 99% of the time plugged into my FM 212 Fender Amp. The pedal has no problem handling loud volume, and of course sounds great at all levels and with all effects, I mean cmon, who doesnt love a good distortion/delay patch. I have heard many complaints that this thing does not work well with other pedals or with a AC adapter, But since I dont have many pedals and just use batteries for now, it hasn't given me any problems. The 3 option switch gives you a choice between tape/analog/digital delay type, which gives you a noticibale difference with each. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm not gonna lie, If my house was broken into and I had a bat by my bed. I'd grab this pedal first, itd hurt more. This pedal is a tank, and its weight reflects that. I imagine I could drop this from a pretty large height and it'll still be fine. It's built much tougher then many of my other pedals and I would gig with this anytime, with maybe a backup battery (it's a power hog). // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I am very impressed with this pedal. If it were stolen I would definately buy a new one because I'm so use to its luxury. I reccommend this pedal to anyone and everyone that want that professional sound with the ability to make it as simple or complicated as you want. I play alot of Alternative and harder rock, sometimes medal. And this suits me perfectly. I have the utmost confidence that this pedal could handle any other genre of music I could throw at it. Unfortunately this pedal is a little bit pricey, but you undoubtadly get what you pay for, I love this pedal! // 10

ToneCore Echo Park Reviewed by: Just_Chaz, on march 01, 2007

Ease of Use: Initially looking at it, it looks fairly difficult, but it doesn't take too long to get used to it, after a while you reallise that it is actually far more easier to use that delay units included in larger multi-effects units. What you can't learn from looking at it you can find in the manual, which is one of the few manuals I've read that is in a easy to understand contemporary english instead of being translated from chinese. Overall for all the stuff included on this unit, it is incredibly simple. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal at the end of a string of various other pedals, valves and effects. The unit uses three very different main effects, tape, digital and analogue delay, each of these delays has their own special modulation, tape has a wow and flutter mod, digital has a chorus mod, and analogue has a vibrato mod, which creates a variety of different sounds. When the delay is activated the sound itself is crystal clear, having just upgraded from using various Boss and Zoom multi effect units, this is by far the best delay I have ever experienced. The unit only has one flaw, when the delay is turn off, the LED metronome continues to flash, and you can hear a slight buzz every time the LED flashes when using a valve or distortion. This can only be heard when not playing and in almost complete silence however the cure for this is simple, have a volume controller after the effect for when you aren't playing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Nowadays most stomp boxes are solid as a rock, this is no different, it weighs quite a bit and very sturdy. It's safe to say that unless you smash the knobs off with a sledge hammer, it isnt gonig to break very easily. One of the reasons I got this was because I would never need a backup or another delay pedal ever again. // 10

Overall Impression: Being a session musician I play a lot of different kinds of music, primarily along the lines of blues, soul and classic rock. Most of my setup is home made inventions with the odd stomp box and wah pedal hear and there, this unit fit right in I love it. It has more different types of delay than you can shake a stick at, my personal favourite (apart from standard delay) is the swell effect, where I can make my guitar sound like a violin, and use the tap feature to choose how fast or slow the sound starts. the tap feature itself is a brilliant feature, although it does take a bit of practice getting it right, you can change the tempo of the delay mid song without anyone noticing if your drummer can't keep time. overall, this pedal is expensive, but for the quality and the features involved it is definately worth it. // 10

ToneCore Echo Park Reviewed by: SylKain, on march 02, 2007

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Ease of Use: From the various Tonecore pedals I tried this was definitely the easiest to set up right away if you have a minimum experience with delay stompboxes, sure it has too many knobs like every other pedal of this series but at least half of those are meant just for some fine tuning rather than extreme tonal changes. Plus those extra knobs are all well explained in the instruction manual that, despite being basic, covers all the main topics for this pedal. The only downside I found to this pedal was the tap tempo function. I admit I don't normaly use it at all, but while with other stompboxes like the ones made by Boss it never got in the way, in this case it was a bit annoying. Basicaly to turn on or off the effect you have to hit it quite hard (a lot harder that what I usually do with other pedals) and if you don't hit that hard it reads your command as a tempo change. During rehears where I don't normaly wear heavy boots it was a pain in the ass. // 7

Sound: Currently I stopped using this effect since my whole stompbox rig has been replace by a PODXT Live, but at the time my rig was an EMG loaded Ibanez SZ or SC going to a pedalboard with a Boss Noise supressor, the Echo Park, a MXR Phase 90, an Ibanez LF7 and a Marshall JCM2000. Ok now let's start about noise which was a major issue, the bottomline is that I have never played another pedal that is so picky when it comes to power supply. Of course Digital Delay pedals suck a lot of power removing right away from your options a battery that will die in a couple of hours, so the most logical step is an ac adaptor. Initially I plugged it in the place of my previous delay pedal which was attached to an Ibanez 5 way splitter, the pedal worked but it produced an annoying fuzz sound even when it was off and on a low amp level (I never tried to see how bad it sounded on my normal stage volume). Then I replaced the splitter with different ac adaptorsi had at home (two unknown brand ones bought at an electronics store, a DigiTech one and an Ibanez one). The problem persisted so I brought it to a guitar store where the only ac adaptors working where the Boss one and the original Line 6 one, despite they brought out the same type of energy all other adapters bring. This problem also appeared in all other Tonecores we tried with the exception of the distortion ones. I contacted Line 6 and they replied they are aware of this and suggest the use of batteries, Boss or Line 6 ac adaptors and if I want a splitter setup I should get a Voodoo Labs power source. Personally I found this was a major downside considering that, with the exception of the batteries, all other options where rather costly and this was by no means a cheap pedal. As for the sound once the problem was solved, it was great like every current generation Line 6 effect. The different options you get from the choice of delay (analog, digital or tape) to the sound presets (sweep, revers, ping pong, swell) allow you to get the perfect sound you want, with options that you normaly don't find in a single stompbox but in the more complex units. Plus there was a really innovative feature called Trails that made the effect fade out instead of turning off abruptly. Too bad there was that power supply problem, because this could have been the ultimate Delay pedal. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Considering that this pedal needs to get kicked in order to work, because of that tap tempo issue, it's built like a tank. Of course I used it Live for a single year before upgrading my rig to a PODXT, too little if compared to the 6 year ordeal my previous delay pedal (an Ibanez DE7) had to go through, but it bears no signs of abuse. Not surprising after all since it weights a ton compared to the average pedal, but this is not a problem when it adds to the durability of it. I would definitely rely on it and even if I always like to have a spare, I'd be surprised to see this die on me. // 10

Overall Impression: I normaly use delay pedals in a gothic rock band and this pedal definitely was an important part of the sound. For the year I used it live and in studio it worked great once it's problems had been figured out. In case it would get stolen or it would die I think I would consider buying it again for studio work where I still use it a lot, but if I had to put it back in my Live rig I probably would look elsewhere because it was too much of a pain in the ass between the power and tap tempo issues. The only advice I can give is before you buy, try it with your rig and see how it feels. If you don't find any probles get it, it's the best sounding delay you can find in the category of compact pedals. If you see problems just look elsewhere, there is no poind in spending so much money on a pedal and then have to spend more on expensive power supplies. // 7

ToneCore Echo Park Reviewed by: black-sabbath, on august 28, 2008

Price paid: C$ 120

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Ease of Use: This pedal looks A lot more complex than it actually is. It has 5 knobs (mix, repeat, time, mod, and mode) and 2 switches - delay type (analog, digital or tape) and trails. The modes are normal, eight note triplet repeats, dotted eighth note repeats, slap, swell, sweep delay, ducking, multi 1, multi 2, ping-pong and reverse. It also has tap-tempo. I'll go over these later. It took me about an hour to get the feel for it, and to explore every feature. It came with a manual that wasn't too too helpful, it just goes over the basics of what each knob does. It also had 3 setting recommendations: slappy-verb, dynamic delay (ducking) and 60's reverse. It also has a few spots to put down settings you like. // 9

Sound: First of all, I'll go over my gear. I'm using an Epiphone G-400 to a Line-6 UberMetal (most of the time) into the Echo Park. From there, I go into 2 crappy Traynor amps: bass mate 25 and guitar mate 15. As long as I have the noise gate on with the UberMetal, I don't get any noise from the echo park. Here are the different Modes: Normal - here you can tap in the delay time (or use the Time Knob) and your delays get echoed back as quarter notes at the same tempo you tapped in. Delay time ranges from 53ms to 2500ms. Eighth note triplets - pretty much the same as Normal, except your repeats are eighth note triplets. Delay time ranges from 18ms to 745ms Dotted eighth notes - Same as the 2 above, except you get dotted eigth notes. Delay time ranges from 40ms to 1676ms. Slap - much quicker delay. The delay time ranges from 10ms to 150ms on this mode. Swell - this is a cool mode. As your Echoes repeat, they get louder. Sweep - this one's a bit hard to describe. Your echoes kind of waver in volume as they go on. Ducking - this mode keeps your Echoes quiet while you're playing, but when you stop playing, they get louder. Multi 1 and 2 - They both give different rhythms. Ping-Pong - This is my favourite mode. It only works on stereo, and you need 2 amps. You can use the tap tempo (or time knob) to set the delay time. Your repeats then alternate between the 2 amps. It sounds amazing if you're between the 2 amps! Reverse: This one's pretty crazy. You set the tempo and then play something. When it repeats, it repeats what you just played - backwards! Sounds really trippy. Control Knobs: Mix - this knob controls the volume or your input signal and the output signal. With the knob at 7 o'clock, you only hear your original guitar sound, no echoes. And at 5 o'clock, you only get echoes. This is useful, and I'll explain that soon. Repeat: This controls the number of times your echoes repeat. At 7 o'clock, you get one echo. Working your way over to 5 o'clock increases the number of times, and finally, 5 o'clock is infinite repeats. Time - probably the hardest knob to you. It set the time between delays. I don't use this ever, except to get minimum delay time (just turn it to 7 o'clock.) Mod - each echo type (analog, digital or tape) has an added effect. The Mod Knob changes the level of the added effect. Mode - has all the modes (normal, eighth note triplets, etc.) on it. Tap Tempo - really useful function. All you do is lightly tap the footswitch at the tempo you want. Switches: Tape Delay - added effect of WOW and Flutter. Digital Delay - added effect of chorus. Analog - added effect of vibrato. I find that most of these sound the best with the mode knob at about 1-2 o'clock. Trails - all this does is have your echoes fade out if you turn the pedal off. Footswitch - You have to step on this pretty hard to turn the pedal off. If you step on it lightly, it set the tap tempo. There's also an LED light. When the pedals, bypass, it flashes red to the tempo it will repeat at when turned on. When the pedal's on, it flashes green to the tempo. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Like all 4 pedals I have (Line-6 UberMetal and Echo Park, Boss RC-2, Vox V847 Wah-Wah) this pedal is really sturdy. Built of solid metal, it's not going to break easily. I obviously wouldn't try stepping on the computery part of it (green thing with the knobs on it) but even that looks pretty sturdy. I haven't used a battery with this pedal, I plugged it into the adapter right away. With my other Line-6 pedal, it killed the batteries very quickly. I'd gig with this, as long as it had an apadter. // 9

Overall Impression: I got this pedal for 2 main reasons: It has more modes than the Boss DD-6, and it's cheaper. I play mostly old metal and classic rock (Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Guns N' Roses Iron Maiden, etc.) and it sounds really good. The Chorus effect with Digital Delay sounds really good for some clean stuff and even with distortion too. I've been playing for around 2 and a half years now, self taught, and I'm really impressed with the Echo Park. It seems like the best delay pedal for it's price range. I really love the ping pong, reverse and tap tempo, it makes this pedal much better. I'd go out and get this pedal right away again if something happened to it. I compared this pedal to the Boss DD-3 and DD-6, a picked this one because of the better delay time than DD-3 and more features than the DD-6. It's the same price as the DD-3, and far better, in my opinion. Great pedal, really glad I bought it! // 10

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review