ToneCore Uber Metal Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 05/31/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Line 6: ToneCore Uber Metal
Uber Metal brings you massive amounts of gain in one tiny, tough package. You can chose from some of the best Line 6 high-gain tones from HD147 and Vetta II including Metal, Pulverize, and Insane. Also included with the Uber Metal is a built-in selectable noise gate, and scoop control for massive tonal contouring.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.9
 Ease of Use: 8.7
 8.1
 8.7
 7.5
reviews (14) pictures (2) 76 comments vote for this gear:
ToneCore Uber Metal Reviewed by: Lilldjuret, on april 13, 2007

Ease of Use: This stompbox is really easy to operate and the controls are really self explanatory. There are Level, Bass, Mid, Scoop, Gain and Treble. No questions. The manual wasn't at all needed. The only thing I used it for was to check exactly how the scoop worked. It also has a nifty noise gate! // 9

Sound: I'm currently using it with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top / Schecter Omen 7 Extreme and a Behringer Ultrabass BX600. It can be abit noisy, but that is only because of the user setting it up poorly. Usually when you crank the treble, gain and midrange abit too much, but it's nothing you should be doing too often anyway. I can get sp, e great sounds out of this, but only when it comes to modern-ish metal. It's abit difficult to dial in even Black Sabbath or such, as it is a bit lacking in the lower gain. The notes get really cut off half way through and it kills the sustain. It is said to have a Vintage style distortion, but it sounds pretty goofy. Also, it's a bit of a pain to dial in a really crunchy rhythm sound which will sound good. All in all, not the kind of sound I'm after, but it will do the trick. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This thing comes in a full metal casing, which is sturdy and heavy as hell. As if it would help? Nah, two weeks after buying this, I accidently dropped it from 40 cm, and while gently shaking it, you can hear this rattling inside the module. Not good, as it since then has the ability to kill the stompbox, but this can be solved by shaking it abit. // 7

Overall Impression: As I played mainly modern metal when I got this, it was a pretty good match. It is abit lacking soundwise, but I thought it was so great sounding, as I was pretty much of a newb to these things. Now, when my tastes have 'developed', I realise that this pedal only can do one thing. Now, I don't say it should do classic rock, but it should atleast be able to do some Black Sabbath and really crunchy rhythm work. I've been playing for nearly three years, and I had only been playing for 14 months when I got this. If it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't get one of these things again. I'd buy myself a Muff, whithout doubt. Or even better, I'd get a real tube half stack and an OD. My favourite feature is the noise gate, which is very useful, as it get's rid of all of the static, hum and feedback. I compared it to a lot of other products, I just regretting not trying this agains one the Electro-Harmonix distortion pedals. // 7

ToneCore Uber Metal Reviewed by: poopsmith666, on december 17, 2007

Purchased from: Songbird Music

Ease of Use: I bought this baby slightly used, and it was definitely a super score. I saved about $120, and it was practically mint! It was just dusty. Anyways, it is nearly impossible to get a bad sound out of the UberMetal. I love it utterly. It didn't come with a manual, but if your IQ is larger than your shoe size, you can figure it out in about 2 minutes. // 9

Sound: I am currently using it with my ESP/LTD EC-1000 guitar, with EMG 81/60 into my Vox AD50VT. The guitar is super sweet, and the EMG 81 really makes it sing. And with the EMG 60 for my cleans with the super awesome cleans in the Vox, I am set. The UberMetal has a kickass noise gate, which, when set to 2 (there is off, 1 and 2) is absolutely silent as the grave. Not a peep unless I want to unleash the chaos. It really isn't even that noisy without the gate on, but I like it on. The UberMetal always sounds good, unless you turn the Scoop to full and turn the Mids to 0. Then it sounds like it's coming through an AM radio station with bad reception. I can totally get the sound of really any artist that uses distortion that I want by adjusting the EQ settings, the Model Settings (Metal, Pulverize and Insane), and by fiddling with the Drive knob. I mostly play metal: Death, Black, Heavy, Core, any subgenre really. I can get the sound of Job for a Cowboy perfectly, along with Bullet for My valentine, As Blood Runs Black, Metallica, Behemoth, Carcass, Necrophagist and Opeth. I have never been able to get the sounds of Nile down though. Tricky bastards. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing must weigh like, 10 pounds, even though it is comparatively diminutive. Built like a brick, I swear I couldn't break it if I tried. The knobs are nice, they have a good little bit of resistance to them, and the place where you step on it has a fantastic, super sturdy rubber cover with the embossed Line6 logo on it. The only thing, really, that I can say about it that I don't like is the fact that it eats through batteries faster than MC Hammer ate through his money. Like, a Brand New battery died after 2 hours. Maybe mine is defective in that respect, and that's the reason someone returned it, but I just went out and bought an adapter, and I can play with it forever no problem, obviously. With the adapter, of course I would gig it with no backup. It's a f--king tank, with a badass metal construction and all that jazz. // 8

Overall Impression: I mainly play metal, as aforementioned, and it is 100% the best and only match. I have been playing for about 3 1/2 years and I also own an ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi, and it sounds fecal compared to the UberMetal. I don't wish I had asked anything before buying it, because there is nothing about it that I don't love. If some unlucky bastard stole it, I would find HIM, steal $200 off HIM to buy another, and then disembowel HIM, feeding HIM the rope of his own intestines, until they went down his esophagus, through his stomach, and back to where his intestines were originally, and repeat the process, creating a never ending cycle of eating his own intestines. Also, somehow, he wouldn't die for the entire ordeal. Actually, forget the stealing $200 business; I would gladly pay with my own money to get another one. I compared the UberMetal with the DigiTech Death Metal, and it sounded so utterly inferior to the UberMetal. And besides, the sheer amount of feedback from the Death Metal was enough to turn me off of it. I wish it had nothing else, because if it did, it might detract from the super sweet distortion, or maybe be more complicated, and I am a slave to simplicity. // 10

ToneCore Uber Metal Reviewed by: Im_Broken, on january 21, 2010

Price paid: A$ 500

Purchased from: the Rockshop

Ease of Use: this pedal is ballistic. Its so easy to find your sound... Just turn the knobs till it sounds good... Lol. Personally, I like my tone to be relatively sharp, so the treble is usually at 9 ish. But the good thing is the noise gate. I only use it only if I need to, like if I'm playing a guitar with some piece of crap single coil. But usually I like the fuzz.. The manual was easy to read and explained what every thing was. // 10

Sound: I have a Jackson rr5fr, a homemade axe (named Godzilla) with a very excellent single stolen from a 1979 strat, and a Ibanez GIO. It sounds good with any one of those.its coming out of a Fender Frontman 15G. It sounds fantastic. If you were to chuck this into a Marshall jcm 800 2106 withn 4 400watt amps with celestion G12 speakers, it could kill a mammoth. The distortion is roaring.its a very strong sound. My favourite artists are Pantera, Arch Enemy, Metallica, Slayer, Mastodon etc... Its relatively impossible to get a dimebag sound, just because its so original. But the Arch Enemy blah blah, its easy to dial in a real brootal kick arse sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: since it is built like a tank, and it will not break anytime soon, I can rely on it without a backup, but it does eat through batteries, so the adapter is essential, for a gig.honestly, it takes about 20 minutes to kill a new battery. Its haevy, sturdy and is insane // 9

Overall Impression: I play a mix of industrial, thrash, progressive and melo death, and it suits my sound perfectly. I have been playing for three years and bass three before that. I wish I had asked for an adaptor sooner. I love the sounds I can get out of it. It can go from Eric Clapton, to michael amott, to kirk hammett, to munky, in just a few seconds. Its unbeleivable. I love this thing... // 9

ToneCore Uber Metal Reviewed by: Mason1999, on may 31, 2013

Purchased from: PMT (Leeds)

Ease of Use: This pedal is so easy to use... Just turn the knobs and find the tone you want haha, I mostly play Metallica so it's not really that complicated, haha! Set your mode (Metal, Pulverate and Insane), Scoop, mids, gain etc, and just shred! Also, this pedal is really built like a brick. I play mine with an ESP MH100NT through a shitty Vantage amp. The knobs are sweet with a little give in the twisty action... And the gate makes high-gain playing literally effortless! The thing weighs at least 10 pounds and is honestly built like a tank! Awesome! // 9

Sound: I mostly play Metallica so all it's really not so complex to set up... If you want an "...And Justice" or "Black Album" tone, just scoop the mids and crank up the bass. If you want a "Kill 'Em" or "Ride" tone, crank up the mids and turn the bass and treble down a tad. The modes on the pedal are just personal preference to be honest. The gate is so f--king helpful too, when playing the dirty "The Thing that should not be" chunky chuink fat tone. Also, the new Metallica stuff don't require so much gain so calm it down when trying to get a "Death Magnetic," etc tone. I put a little gain on the amp first, and set it up on the pedal from there. P.S. Try to use an axe with humbuckers for best results. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would easily play this with out a backup. It's built like the Russian Army and is so handy and clear to set up, even on stage. I don't think you break it in a hurry and the best thing is, on all pedals, if you use the adapter, you don't need to worry about any batteries dying! I bought this mainly for switching between clean and dirty, for example, "Fade To Black" and "...And Justice," so it won't be really getting stomped on too often. None of the knobs have fallen off yet so that's a bonus, haha! // 8

Overall Impression: You can really get a sweet Metallica rhythm tone from this beauty (I say beauty but the colour is a bit nasty haha) and the gate is sososo helpful. You can get a nice chuggy chug tone from this, too. I swear Metallica used this on "And Justice" or something, and for the price (I got mine for 29) It's a real bargain! I have been playing guitar for around a year and a half and piano for 5 years and I go to Leeds Collage of Music every Sunday, so it's really second nature to me. IF this was stolen, I would whack the guy who stole it in the fave with this brick made of Metal. My favourite thing about this is the simplicity and the gate. The worst thing is probably its too like Metallica, if I was being picky. Why clone when you can create?! But its a sweet scooped tone, too. I chose this for the price. I went to the shop and asked for the Boss equivalent. I only had 50 and knew I wasn't going to get something AMAZING for that price. So I asked for the Boss and they said that was 90, and they said they have just got a batch of these Uber Metal's in for only 29. I thought "Bargain". So I tried it out and it really suited my playing style. For the price it's unbeatable really. Awesome Pedal! // 9

ToneCore Uber Metal Reviewed by: screamokid, on april 16, 2007

Ease of Use: The Line 6 ToneCores are just what you can expect from Line 6, absolutely amazing. I have found you can get a tone from '80s metal, hardcore, metalcore, emo, punk, and classic rock, it has great range and best distortion I have personally heard. When I first pulled it out of the box, it was extremely complicated. especially with the whole mid/scoop thing. If you work with the manual and then mess around with it on your own you can get pretty much whatever you want. Since it's a little complicated when you first pull it out of the box, I'm going to give it a 9. But it makes up for it in tone. // 9

Sound: I use an Epiphone G-400 special with a Line 6 Spider II. I also have the FBV4 foot Switch. If you know anything about the Spider II it's that it has great built in effects. On my amp, I now have 3 effects instead of distortion, so now I feel like I have a whole bunch of different petals! The built in noise gate gets all the feed back and crap I don't want out of it it's amazing. It was very interesting to compare the Spider II distortion to the petal. The petal was so much crisper and warmer. The only thing I don't like is that the pedal has a lot of Treble. It can get annoying. But when playing When Darkness Falls by Killswitch Engage I freak out with I hit that pinch harmonic it's the coolest sound ever. Great sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing weighs a ton, I'm not worried about it breaking. If I need back up, I have my amp still and that distortion is ok. And if I didn't have my handy dandy game boy adapter (oh yeah), I would probably need something else because it kills batteries in about 15 minutes (no joke) // 8

Overall Impression: I play whatever has a good guitar part, and so far it works well with everything that I play. It goes well with my other equipment. Once you get the idea, it's an extremely good petal. I love the noise gate, but hated learning to use it. I highly recommend this pedal. Get an adapter. Or an old game boy adapter, those work well for it. // 10

ToneCore Uber Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 05, 2008

Ease of Use: It is pretty hard to get a good sound out of. Yet, that could be because you really can't get one. The distortion is decent, but there is a lot of feedback, and way too much fuzz for pretty much any style of music. The manual isn't needed, it's self explanatory. // 6

Sound: I play a Greg Bennett Concord, through a Peavey Bandit 112, and the petal sounds the same through any other set up you use. It is extremely noisy when you have the gain on any level, it is the most annoying buzz you will ever get from a petal. Though the distortion is nice on the metal setting, the insane setting is completely useless. I can match the sounds of Elysia, Parkway Drive, and Evergreen Terrace, but like I said, the fuzz makes it extremely annoying. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I feel pretty scared whenever I use this petal. It weighs about 2 pounds, so it would not be able to take a fall, and when you step on it, it feels like you are going to break the foot Switch right off. Although I have used it for 3 shows, I would definitely recommend something more durable. // 5

Overall Impression: I play hardcore/deathmetal/progressive and it is a decent match, but I would definitely recommend something with less fuzz. I have been playing for 4 years, and I also own an Epiphone LesPaul, a Fender acoustic, and an Epiphone Explorer Bass. I really wish I would of tried out this petal before I bought it, I really am dissatisfied with it, and wish I bought something else. If it was lost or stolen, I would buy a different petal, I would probably go with a DigiTech or a Boss instead. // 6

ToneCore Uber Metal Reviewed by: black-sabbath, on march 24, 2008

Ease of Use: Really easy pedal to use. it's got 6 knobs: level (volume), scoop, drive, bass, medium and treble. it's also got a 3-way gate selector to get rid of all humming and a Switch for differents sounds: metal, insane and pulverize. It ranges from brighter tones to "warmer", full tones. The level knob just changes the volume. If you put it on full, you sometimes get feedback/unwanted distortion. The scoop is really cool. It changes the tone by a lot and the sounds are awesome. The drive is the level of distortion, from barely any to wicked heavy distortion. Great for any sort of metal. The bass, medium and treble knobs just adjust the different notes' volume. I found out that if you play a chord and hold it, and turn the knobs, you get a really awesome Wah-Wah sound! You really don't need the manual at all for this. Nothing needs explaining. The only thing in the manual of use is the suggestions for different tones for the eras of metal. All in all, really easy pedal to use. // 10

Sound: I am currently playing an Epiphone G-400 through a Traynor 25 watt Bass Mate. It sounds great played through this and a hell of a lot louder. Only bad thing is that if I put the amp volume to around 7, it starts to sound like s***. Other than that, there's no extra noise thanks to the gate Switch. Put it on 2 and it's perfectly noiseless. There aren't any tones on this baby that I don't use frequently. I'm always messing around with it trying to get one I really like and I can't, I just like them all. Great pedal for any sort of metal or hard rock. Turn the scoop off and it's more of a rock sound and turn it on, perfect metal. I play Led Zeppelin, Ozzy, Sabbath, GN'R and AC/DC and I can get great tones for it all. I've used a few distortion pedals from Boss, the overdrive/distortion 2 and the DS-1 or whatever and the UberMetal is so much better. Absolutely kills the Boss distortions. It's louder and way more distortion and tone variety. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal kind of sucks if you're using a 9-volt battery. It only lasts around 2-3 hours and that gets really expensive. I used to use about a battery a day. So after about 3 weeks, getting an AC adapter to plug it into the wall pays for itself. I would only use this at a gig with an AC adapter cause I'd be too scared that the battery would die. // 7

Overall Impression: Freaking love it. It's great for any sort of rock or metal. Another thing about it is that you can take out the distortion's computery stuff and buy other Line 6 "brains" and use them with the same pedal. I haven't tried this yet but it sounds pretty cool and it saves a lot of money. I've been playing now for 2 years and really wish I had gotten this more than 4 months ago. It makes everything sound better. This is a really great pedal for $100, especially compared to some of Boss's $80-$135 ones. I'd buy this again if it disappeared as soon as I could. My favourite part of this pedal is the scoop. It adds the greatest tone variety and sounds really cool. This is my favourite distortion pedal I've ever used. // 9

ToneCore Uber Metal Reviewed by: disengage12a, on march 25, 2008

Ease of Use: This pedal basically does what it says. It can produce some pretty balls to the wall metal. With 6 different knobs and 3 different settings there's a ton of different sounds you can get with this puppy. But sometimes finding the right sound can take a bit but once you get to learn the pedal and what each knob does and adds to your sound it's pretty easy to get a handle of. // 7

Sound: With this I'm mainly using my Bronze edition B.C. Rich Warlock on a DA15 Vox amp. Without the noisegates this things would be a total piece but with it you get no feedback and you don't sacrifice any of the distortion. I tend to play a lot of metal like Slipknot and some Dethklok for just an example and I can totally recreate their sounds with this pedal among others if needed. You can get a sound ranging from slight distortion to screaming Death Metal. At first glance it could seem like it just wails a little too much, thus kind of overshadowing the sound of the notes themselves. Just don't go too crazy with the scoop and you'll be fine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Totally dependable pedal in a nice and sturdy metal casing. Pretty heavy sucker but I guess that means it's pretty protected. Any gig I ever did I would have this thing with me, No Doubt. It's never failed me once but from what I've heard and read this thing wont last a half hour on a battery so I guess that could be a hassle for some people. // 8

Overall Impression: When I'm playing metal and tuning down my guitar, this thing sounds so great. I've had it for about six months and is now a permanent part of my pedalboard. If this were lost or stolen I'd probably buy another one the same day. I absolutely love the variety of distortion sounds you can get from this thing. Compared to Boss's MT-2 and MD-2 I would have to go with this. The ubermetal can achieve a pretty huge variety of sounds. The sound clips don't do this thing any justice whatsoever. Trust me try it out, hearing is believing. // 9

ToneCore Uber Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 22, 2008

Ease of Use: It is pretty easy to understand what every knob does. The six knob set and the ability to Switch between different distortion types gives it a lot of diversity. The only problem is that you have to play with the knobs, mixing and matching for a while until you can get a nice distortion sound. // 7

Sound: This pedal is touchy, but it definitely gets the job done. I use it with a Dean Razorback guitar, Boss chorus pedal, and a Boss EQ pedal all running through a Crate XT120R. At first I did not like the sounds I got out of it, if it is not set right the distortion can sound very digital. If you really play with the knobs and test your distortion until it hits the spot, then you can really get a nice sound. After playing with it for a while I was able to mimic everything from progressive metal tones, to thrash, to Death Metal tones. The noise gate is also a definite plus. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is No Doubt a brick. It weighs the better part of 2 pounds and has a full metal casing. I've had mine for about 2 years now and it hasn't had any problems. I have done some small gigs with it, and for the most part everything went well. The biggest problem is setting up the distortion. If you preset it before the gig than you need to be careful with it in hopes not to change the settings. IF you don't preset it and don't write down precise directions to get your sound than you are going to have one hell of a sound check. // 8

Overall Impression: I play lots of metal, mostly melodic death and thrash, and some classical and jazz. The pedal performs top notch for nearly all types of metal. I own a Boss metalzone too, however I do prefer the the Uber Metal pedal. The pedal goes great with my Boss EQ, It gives it a bit more sustain and easier harmonics. If it were stolen I would very likely buy a new one because of the diverse sounds that it offers. This pedal gets very good crunch with my razorback and can be a very heavy pedal. Also, if tuned right, you can get that classic hair band distortion style. The only thing really holding it back is how fine tuned it has to be to sound correctly. The one thing the pedal needs the most is a system of saving preferred distortion settings. For now though I still use my pen and paper // 9

ToneCore Uber Metal Reviewed by: Ulalume, on july 11, 2008

Ease of Use: This is a simple pedal, however that does not make it bad. There is a manual that briefly describes how to use it, and gives a few settings you can input to get certain sounds (I didn't bother with those personally so I can't say much about them). All this pedal really is is a bunch of knobs that you can turn to get the effect you want. You need to mess around with it really. The pedal itself that you push with your feet is kind of cool because it allows you to go from a metal distortion to whatever setting your amp has on (I like to keep a clean setting on the amp and use the distortion in the pedal, it's enjoyable when you want to Switch between them). // 10

Sound: I am using a B\.C\. Rich Avenge SOB guitar with a Crate amp. The pedal sounds awesome. It includes a gate (which you can turn off, or down). There has been no feedback whatsoever (which was very weird concidering before this pedal and even with a Boss-ME 300 I got so much it was annoying. The effects are awesome. You can play almost everything if you adjust accordingly. Let me give an example, when I got home with this pedal and plugged it; in about 10 minutes I was able to learn parts of Slayer - Raining Blood with a sound very similar to Slayer's guitarist. With some adjusting and learning, I was also able to play Coheeds- A Favor House Atlantic very effectively. Also, Death Metal is an ease to play (up the bass more). it's downright amazing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: For the most part I can depend on it. Sadly, when I got home I found out that you need 9-volt batteries (which die fairly quickly) or you can buy some adapter to plug into the wall. Had I been aware of this I would have grabbed the adapter while I was at the guitar center (which, mind you, is about 20 miles away). With price of gas, I think I'll order one via the internet. Would I use it at a gig? I am not sure. I have not gigged. If it sounds the same as it does now, with a Live band that is; I surely would. // 9

Overall Impression: Despite mentioning Coheed And Cambria earlier, I mostly play metal, preferably death or melodic death. It sounds great with alternate picking, tremelo picking, sweep picking, palm muting, tapping (though adjust the trebble if you intend to use the bottom 3-strings for tapping alot). I have been playing about 1.5 years. This pedal and the guitar I use are the first musical things I "own." For the past year I've used my father's Fender Custom Strat (which is good for clean playing, not metal), his Ibanez (not sure what model), which was okay for metal but not the best, and his Boss-ME 300 pedal. In comparison, I like my own stuff more. it's more my style. I get the sound I want. What do I love about this pedal? It's easy to use and I can get great sounds out of it for how simple and small it is. What do I hate? The batteries. Any questions? Leave comments and I will respond (hopefully). // 10

ToneCore Uber Metal Reviewed by: Super Cracker, on july 12, 2008

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Ease of Use: This pedal is extremely easy to use, it's pretty much set up as a regular pedal with the bass, mid, treble, volume, gain, and scoop knobs. They're pretty much all self explanatory, but the scoop knob is pure genius, you can use it to cut out your mids, or if you choose, you can even boost them depending on which way you turn the knob. However, you will want the power supply with this pedal, I have heard that it can eat through batteries very fast, so I took the safe route and bought the power supply straight away. // 10

Sound: I run this pedal with an Ibanez RG2EX1 and a Marshall MG15DFX amp. This guitar is not very noisy at all, even with the noise gate set at off. I usually keep it set at 1 and all you need to do is merely put your hands on the strings and it's as if you turned off your amp entirely. The only gripe that I have with the noise gate is that it will cut out my sustain, but for every good thing there is a bad thing along with it, and I can deal with having a low sustain. It has three different types of gain, all of which you can control with the gain knob on the pedal. I use the Pulverize setting mostly for that new Slayer sound, or Metal for the Iron Maiden, old Slayer, and Metallica sound. I can't speak highly enough about the noise gate and the scoop knob, they both are what make this pedal so unique and also extremely versatile. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I feel that I can depend on this pedal very much, it's built like a tank and I would have no worries at all using this pedal for a gig without a back up. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and punk and this pedal works perfectly for both. I've been playing for about 2 years and I think I'll be keeping this pedal for many, many years to come. If this pedal was stolen or lost I think I would definitely buy it again, for the price it's an amazing value. I have no regrets buying this pedal, although I do with that you could use the noise gate on the pedal without having the distortion on so that you could use it to quiet other pedals in your line up if you needed to. // 10

ToneCore Uber Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 17, 2008

Ease of Use: I wouldn't say that this pedal is very too use. You really have to tweak around a bit with the Scoop and Mid Control. But in my opinion this also stands for the versatility of this pedal. It can go from real perfect mid-scooped sound to a rough britisch sound. You also get some decent suggestion for some setups from the manual. // 8

Sound: Currently I use the effect with my Ibanez RG321 (awesome guitar by the way) and a Marshall MG30 DFX (f--king crap amp by the way:-D), but I will upgrade it soon to a Roland Cube 60. Looking for a Metallica, Iron Maiden etc. Kind of sound look no further. Looking for a Linkin Park, Korn, Silent Civilian or As I Lay Dying tone look no further. This thing has 3 different kinds of distortion. First is called "metal": it gives that real classic british heavy metal sound. Known of the early Metallica records (Kill em all, Master of Puppets etc.) Second one is the "Pulverize": it's the best of the three. It gives more punch and more bottom end. But be carfull! When you crank the mids too much, it gives a too digital sound. But it's so great for playing more modern metal, agressive punk, hard rock and basicly anything with much distortion. Last one is called the "Insane" Channel: Holy Shit. Even on my little Transistor amp it sounds huge. Artifical harmonics come just perfectly wonderful. Great Sustain! Take down your mids, crank the scoop and you have a perfect scoop sound. Additional, to the others, I would say, that if you put in some effects (delay, chorus etc.) you not only get some great sounds for metal, but a great one that "sings". Perfect for the lead tone of Slash or the Comfortambly Solos from Pink Floyd. But the gain back to 12 o' clock, and you have not a great but a quite decent AC/DC tone. I choosed the Uber Metal and not the similar Boss pedals, due to the totally brilliant noise gate. So much gain can really produce a lot of hiss and some feedback. Put the gate on 2 and it's perfectly noiseless. I admit that it kills some of the sustain, but it is still very good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing seems to be build for a nuclear war. It it is a full metal construction and is really heavy. You can really depend on it, also in Live situations! But there is one big problem with the ToneCore UberMetal: the battery mode. A 9V battery will only last for 1 or maybe 1 hour of playing. So I suggest you definitly to get an AC Adapter for this. But then you can really use this pedal without a backup, even at a gig. If there would not the problem with the battery, I would give it 10 of 10 points. // 8

Overall Impression: Great Pedal for any sort of metal, whether Heavy, New, Trash or Death Metal. But also for your smooth lead tones and some crunch sounds which are ok. But for last one, there is definitly some better effets, like the Ibanez TubeScreamer, or the Boss BluesDriver on the market. Great noise gate, but really get an AC Adapter, otherwise it will get really expensive. I would definitly buy a new one, if it was stolen or lost. // 9

ToneCore Uber Metal Reviewed by: TW909, on january 14, 2009

Ease of Use: The Uber-Metal from Line-6 can be a valuable addition to your current rig. It come equipped with controls for:Level, Bass, Mid, Scoop, Treble and Drive. It also has a switch to change between 3 different Models:Metal, Pulverize and Insane.The second switch chooses the Gate setting(off, 1 and ). Turning any of the knobs creates very noticeable change in tones. It came with a manual in several languages with some suggested settings to get you started. // 9

Sound: I use the Uber-Metal in line through the input on my amp. The built-in Noise Gate allows for complete silence when muting the strings. I have found that it allows you to keep the note sustained with no clipping while canceling out low level hum. The gate responds based on the setting but why take it off of 2? This pedal is capable of producing tones that work in any genre. I find that the Pulverize setting is the most versatile. The Metal setting is a less gain-y rock sound and the Insane is more for "Death Metal Tremolo picking" kind of playing. Metallica, Slipknot, Sabbath, Priest, Slayer and other bands that play with heavy, crunchy, sucked out tones are easily recreated with the Uber-metal. The Scoop Switch kind of contours the sound and can really create drastic differences in sound with slight turns. I have a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone that gives the Uber-Metal a run for it's money but it is a high quality product. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is good for a lot of sounds but not every sound. It can get a little bassy, and the insane amount of gain doesn't always make for good tones. I don't gig but this pedal is built like a tank. It ways like 5lbs and is very. very solid. I doubt it would break if thrown at the wall but I don't plan on testing my theory. Anyways, it definitely is worth giving a try at your local shop and you never know if it will sing to you or not. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and this pedal can cover that. I don't know if this is for the blues man or the singer/songwriter but it has the metal sound down pat. Like I said before, I have a Boss MT-2 that is better to my ear but with the built in noise gate on the Uber-Metal it's like two for one. Try cranking the bass for those Death Metal runs or cutting the mids for a more percussive rythmic chunk. This pedal would more than get you started on a collection of quality boxes and the real value is in the sturdy construction. // 9

ToneCore Uber Metal Reviewed by: AmnestyPlease, on april 30, 2009

Purchased from: Sam Ash Music Store in Paramus NJ

Ease of Use: I literally got this pedal one week ago, and after playing it, have decided that I've worked with it thoroughly enough to write a review on it. First off, the manual was fairly easy to read and understand. Nothing special, average instruction with illustrations. I found the breakdown of all of the knobs and their operations simle to comprehend yet detailed. The pedal of course was easy to set up. Pull the pedal up, insert battery, plug it into an amp and your ready to go. Sweet and simple. // 9

Sound: My personal setup is a Peavey Axcelerator Ax with 2 Single Coil Pickups and one Humbucker hooked into a 65-Watt Crate Amp. I use an Ibanez and an AXL cord. Both are 15 feet long. The sound of the pedal was impressive to say the least. It was surprisingly versatile. I was able to go from a slightly overdriven to an insanely distorted sound. Personally, I was impressed with the Scoop setting and the effect that it had on the sound. It was great for the sound that I was going for. Good for Pantera, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, really anything of that nature. As I said, it was very versatile. When I cranked the Bass setting up, it was spectacular for chugging. Also great for shredding with the high gain. I was thoroughly impressed in this aspect. Interestingly enough, I was also able to get a "spot on" Eddie Van Halen sound going too. Also has a good noise gate which can be adjusted with a Switch. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is where the ball was dropped. Then kicked. And popped by the neighborhood bully. Although the pedal itself is built like a brick. (I swear it must be bullet-proof) I was severely dissappointed by the extremely short battery life. This may not have been a huge deal if it ran on AA batteries. But unfortunately, it runs on a power cell(one of those square batteries.) which are quite expensive. They cost about $3-$4 for one. I would never play a Live gig if it was for more than an hour, just out of concern of the battery dying on me. Fortunately, there are DC Adapters available and of course that helps. Although if you use a large pedal board, it can be a pain to have extra cords hanging off. I give it a 6 simply for the durability of the pedal itself. The battery life was a major let down. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, I was impressed with this pedal. What it lacks in reliability, it makes up for in it's solid and adjustable sound. Pesonally, I would prefer the distortion on this pedal to my Zoom G21.u pedal. This pedal would be perfect if it were not for the battery. I give it an 8 out of 10 because of the great sound but terrible reliability. // 8

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review