ToneCore Verbzilla Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 01/19/2009 category: Guitar Effects
Line 6: ToneCore Verbzilla
Verbzilla pedal brings luscious, studio-grade algorithms right to your pedalboard. This stompbox-sized miracle has 11 amazing reverb models that are considered must-have sounds for any kind of music. Verbzilla delivers everything from classic guitar amp-style spring reverb to dreamy, high-end studio favorites right at the touch of a footswitch!
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Ease of Use: 9
 8.5
 8.9
 8.1
reviews (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
ToneCore Verbzilla Reviewed by: lespaul#1, on april 28, 2008

Ease of Use: I was pretty intimadated at first, 5 knobs, 1 switch and hundreds of possible settings. Then I opened the manual, and it had the exact tone I was looking for: surf. This pedal does many things, and all of them are good, it even has echo, so I won't have to buy an echo pedal. Once you read the manual, it will take you a little while to get a sound you like, but once you do, you'll love it. I know I do. // 8

Sound: I play through an Epiphone Les Paul, a Fender bass amp (because my guitar amp is broken) and it sounds very good. This pedal has no noise or feedback, it's very clear, and it sounds strong, depending on how much reverb you add to the mix, it can be very weak, or so strong you can barely hear yourself play, but I keep it at right at the point where the sound becomes quiet, but not quiet, the room setting reminds me of a garage band, the '63 Spring, my favorite is for surf. Using this, I can make my guitar sound like Dick Dale or the Ventures walked into the room. It's pretty cool with distortion. Octo sounds like a keyboard is backing you up, for the band without keyboardist. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Verbzilla is a Line 6, so it's about 3x8 inches and pretty heavy, but once you Pick it up, you won't want to put it down. I would use this anywhere, at a school function, or a concert, wherever I can play it. The only downside to the is series of pedal is the battery life, Tonecores will go for about three hours on one 9v battery. Buy the adapter. Otherwise this pedal is great for any music, even country! Best reverb out there short of a Vintage amp. // 8

Overall Impression: I play just about anything, so this pedal is great. I've been playing guitar for about 6 months, and I'm pretty good. I wish I asked about an adapter, though. God forbid it was stolen, I would purchase it as fast as possible. You can't really hate this pedal, I love it. The best feature being '63 Spring. I checked many reverbs out, and his was the best one, for the thousandth time, I purchased it for the '63 Spring Reverb. Buy it. // 10

ToneCore Verbzilla Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2009

Purchased from: Amazon.com

Ease of Use: The Verbzilla is a pretty straightforward pedal. It has a Mix knob that can go all the way up to 100% wet and leave no original dry signal, a Decay knob that controls how long the reverb lasts, a Time knob which sets the wet signal on a short delay (10ms to 200ms), a Tone knob which is basically a treble control for the reverb, a Mode knob with 11 different modes, and a Trails Switch, that, when turned on, will let any already processed reverb ring out but let through dry signal if you were to kick the effect off and continue playing. Getting good sounds out of the pedal is easy. The manual explains everything well in four languages and even offers some example tones. // 10

Sound: The sounds you can get from this thing are nice. The 'zilla has 10 reverb modes: '63 Spring, Spring, Plate, Room, Chamber, Hall, Ducking, Octo, Cave, and Tile. The '63 Spring is based on a 1963 brown spring reverb head unit, while Spring is a regular studio spring reverb. The Chamber emulates a stairwell or elevator shaft. The Ducking reverb is basically a Hall that gets louder when you stop playing. The Octo reverb shifts the reverb signal up an octave. What I don't like about it is that it's always on a short delay, so your playing doesn't match up with the output. And in Octo mode, the Time knob controls how dense the octave'd reverb is, so it's always on a delay regardless of the Time knob's position. The Cave reverb is my favorite. It goes great at 100% wet and with distortion. It's the best choice on the pedal for those long, ambient soundscapes and shoegazey walls of sound. The Tile reverb emulates the acoustics of a tiled room, like a bathroom or shower. The Echo mode is basically a delay with a little bit of reverb. In Echo mode, the Decay knob is like a Feedback knob (how many repeats), and the Time knob is how long the repeats go on for. Overall you have a good range of good sounds. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The construction is alright. It's a bit heavy and seems fragile, I'd be careful in handling it. The Left/Mono (it has stereo output) input and outputs are a bit sketchy; they seem to clutch the plugs on my cords and I have to tug a bit to get them out. The Right input/output is not like this. I'm guessing this is just a defect with my model and now the whole line. While these aren't huge problems, they're still there. I think it would make a fine addition to a stage pedalboard though. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a lot of different styles, and this pedal works great for music that requires just some subtle reverb, all the way to full-blown ambient music or shoegazing. I chose the 'zilla because of it's multiple modes, good controls and it's ability to give 100% wet signal. If it were lost or stolen, I'd buy another one. This is a nice pedal. // 9

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review