TonePort GX Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 11/19/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Line 6: TonePort GX
This palm-sized powerhouse offers nothing less than professional-grade 24-bit audio recording and rock-solid drivers supporting the easy-to-use USB audio connection.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Ease of Use: 9.7
 8.7
 9.6
 7.7
reviews (3) 25 comments vote for this gear:
TonePort GX Reviewed by: ScruffMcGruff, on march 24, 2008

Ease of Use: The TonePort GX gives you lots of options in the interface to wrap your mind around when you first open up it's Gearbox program but as it begins to grow on you, the possibilities seem endless. The updating was kind of a hassle, as updating required re-downloading the entire drivers for the TonePort GX instead of downloading only the new files needed. It's a little daunting at first, but you get used to it. My only real beef with it is that I can only get it to feed sound through it's line-out port through the back into my headset when directly playing through the TonePort. But to play it on PC speakers it's as simple as just recording a track and then playing it back on your desktop. // 9

Sound: The TonePort GX something for everybody. Simply put. You can put in reverb effects, delay effects, a phaser, a flanger, chorus effects, a compressor, an equalizer, tremolo effects, wah effects, even extra stompbox simulations for famous pedals like the Tube Screamer, and if it causes too much buzz, of course it has the noise gate to filter it all out. To back those up, it simulates how the sound is effected when moving the virtual microphone closer to or away from the Amplifier as it would in real life. It has different cabinet and amp models to alter the tone as well. There still hasn't been a tone I haven't been able to achieve on this thing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't tried anything to test its durability, but it is made of plastic, it seems really durable though. Nothing to use on gigs though, only in personal recording. No glitches in the software have arisen. Though I haven't really 'looked' for anything bad, nothing really stands out to me. It looks like it'll last for a long time, until I actually choose to buy something that outmatches the GX. One cool feature is on the bottom of the GX there's a clip so you can attach it to the underside of your desk somehow if no room is left on top. // 9

Overall Impression: The TonePort GX is great sound recording software for the beginner musician to sink teeth into. It's just enough to get a beginner started but can also satisfy more experienced people in the recording field. Good for any musical style, for anyone who can't afford the more expensive stuff right now, but is planning on investing for something better in the future. I definitely recommend this to anyone whos either just looking to record they're playing for fun or for serious stuff as well. // 9

TonePort GX Reviewed by: ugmung, on june 30, 2008

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Ease of Use: This product comes with the hardware (the Toneport) and the software (Gearbox.) Gearbox is the modeling software that you use to create, save, and share you tones. It is by no means, a recording software, it's strictly for dialing in your tones. Gearbox is very easy to use, you choose the amp model, cab and what effects you want, mess with the Equalization and you can get pretty much any tone your looking for. It's very user friendly, as long as you know what the effects are and what the parameters do, you'll be fine. There are online manuels and support if you have any problems or questions. You can visit the forums at Line6.com if you have a question or concern. // 10

Sound: I run my Ibanez RG7321 and Fullerton FST3 through it. My FST3 is noisy to being with and when I use it with my GX it's just as bad as running it through an amplifier. The noise gate can kill the hum, but it also kills the tone. So be careful, don't go crazy with the noise gate. The Parametric EQ is the key to getting a good tone, the EQ can give you crap tone, or really good tone, you just have to tweak the hell out of it. All the effects suit my needs, so I'm not complaining about them, except the wah. The wah is horrible. It gives you the option to place the effects before or after the amp, so PRE and POST. The only bad thing about that is that it's only one or the other, I would like to have some before and some after, but that's fine. It simulates the mic'ing of a real amplifier, so you can choose how far or how close you want the mic to the amp, you can always choose which microphone you want to use. The options are limitless, you can take a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head and push it through a 2x12 Tweed cab. Or you can have the same amp and push it through a bass cab. Oh, I forgot about that. All the Toneport's offer bass amp and cabs as well as vocal preamps for bass and vocal recordings. If you don't like the selection of the bass amps/cabs, you can buy the Bass Expansion model pack from the Line 6 site. As well as upgrade your Effects and guitar amps/cabs. I bought the Metal Shop model pack a few days ago and I am very very very happy with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's very well built, but I wouldn't exactly use it for gigs. These are really cheap so if it breaks or get's stolen it'll be easy to replace. It is possible to use this for gigging. If you have a laptop with all your settings you can use the Line Out/Headphone jack to hook it up to the PA system. But, the only problem is that your tones will not sound the same. The different volume frequencies and size of the room will greatly affect your tone, so you'll have to play with it more for shows. It is possible though. // 10

Overall Impression: I play extreme types of metal but I also play softer stuff as well. This little thing is sooo versatile and my go to device when I want to record something. I play through this thing a lot, it is a great practice Tool, It comes with a tuner and a cool metronome. I was really iffy about buying this because I didn't think it could handle my type of music and well it kind of didn't. If you play anything like me, get the Metal Shop add-on. It's $25 and worth every penny, now I am truely happy with this product. The one thing that would make this thing truely the best for me, is if it had a footswitch capabilities, but it doesn't. I got one for $50 Brand New, it fits in the palm of my hand and I keep it on my desk all the time. This product is fantastic, you will not regret getting this. // 10

TonePort GX Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 19, 2010

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: Extremely easy to use! If you know how to use your effects the right way its even more simple than a mess of real pedals and sounds just as good considering most are digital anyway. The manual... wouldn't know never had to look at it cause its so simple. However it is not just plug and play. You need ASIO drivers to get the real deal out of it. But POD farm came with it! all on the disk. // 10

Sound: Sound is GREAT! It goes from 16 bit (cd quality) all the way to 32 which is great! It can be noisy depending on the setting... but thats no problem! Its got a wonderful noise gate in the pod farm software! You can totally remake sound replicas of your favs. I am a megadeth and revocation fan and you can definitely pump out WAY more tone and Distortion than needed. I'd say the effects are all awesome! Except the wah. No auto Wah so it doesn't actually "wah" it just wwwwwwwwww's or aaaaaaaa's or hhhhhhhhhh's. Doesn't do them in order. One or the other // 9

Reliability & Durability: incredibly reliable. Never had a single problem. Even dropped it in the toilet. Not really. But I'm sure it wouldn't do too bad. I would trust it on a gig if I could hook it up to larger speakers. Its only got one headphone out and one guitar in and you need a computer. So gig... if it were gig equipment I'd trust it by itself. // 10

Overall Impression: I do metal, Jazz, Blues, and virtuoso. I actually do jazz and blues I'm not just trying to sound well rounded. I got second in the state of texas for jazz back in high school and instructed guitar in beaumont. I've been playing for I forget maybe 7 or 8 years. I wish I would've asked how soon i'd want to upgrade to the ux1 or (Less than a year due to lack of mic input). But due to this one being that much cheaper at the time, I'd say its still worth it if mic in isn't necessary. I had a tascam us-100 for that. I'm hand-me-downing it all to my younger brother. I love everything. Its a sexy little device and no hassle. I compared to the us-100 and some M-Audio somethin or other. This was by far better (aside from the mic in) if only for the Pod Farm and asio drivers. Then not to mention the 32 bit recording is nice. Great product. Great Price. // 9

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review