TonePort UX1 Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 02/23/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Line 6: TonePort UX1
TonePort is the first line of USB recording and modeling interfaces, bringing world-class Line 6 guitar, bass, and vocal tone to the world of desktop recording. TonePort UX1 and UX2 hardware interfaces are USB-powered and come with Line 6 GearBox modeling software.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.1
 Ease of Use: 9.3
 8.4
 9.4
 7.3
reviews (7) pictures (2) 40 comments vote for this gear:
TonePort UX1 Reviewed by: Spawn6937, on january 16, 2006

Sound: I use the TonePort with an Epiphone Les Paul Studio Goth, and monitor it through a Marshall MG15DFX, sound is great and it's just well, got pretty much any sound you could require, minus the cat meows and Dalek sound effects on some multi effects pedals. There are tonnes of preset tones that replicate the tone of bands such as Iron Maiden and Metallica to name but two (albeit the latter not being totally faithful to Kirk or James' sound). On the Line 6 website you can even purchase add-ons to the amp and effects library for $49.99. I intend to use this for some home recording for a demo I plan to put together and the recording quality although a litlle quiet is in my opinion as close to studio production as you can get. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a really very dependable thing and hasn't cut out on me or anything yet, only problem is that occasionally you get a pop come through the monitor, which I personally don't know how to rectify, could be a bad cable as I have had trouble with it in the past, but even so its a very minor problem. It isn't exactly something I would use to gig with but if I had no pedals and just this and a laptop then yeah I would definately use it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from Metal to Ska and this suits all styles, the amount of different sounds you can bang out of this thing are ridiculous, it makes me smile just thinking about it. I do own a wah pedal which I don't use partcularly often and subsequently haven't tried running it through the TonePort, but I suspect it would be fine. I compared this product to the other home recording products in Line 6's range and this seemed to be excellent both in price and functionality. I would buy this pedal again if it were stolen/lost and I advise anyone interested in home recording to get this now, you won't regret it. // 10

TonePort UX1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 12, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: First of all, you should all be aware that when you purchase this product, go straight to the line6 website and download the latest software of GearBox (version 3 atm) and Monkey. The software on the CD is so out of date I could not even get the product to work and probably wasted about an hour! I had to look on a forum to get this product to work as the manual is so bad it's useless. Never the less, after finally getting the product to work and play through my computer speakers (1/4 headphone jack needed) I was very happy with the results. It's so easy to edit your sound, customize every pedal output and even download some free presets right in the software. // 8

Sound: There's so many options here it will be impossible to list. Even so, Line6 offer 3 different packs around $50 each or $100 for all 3 with loads more effects, which are Metal Shop, Collectors Classics and FX Junkie (more can be read at line6.com). Line6 even off GuitarPort Online where you can download tons of presets for your favorite bands (for a subscription fee of around $10 a month). Also, if your getting some sort of weird noise or static noise or sharp burst of noise or something that I see a lot of people complaining about with this product, this usually has something to do with your system performance, and by simply increasing the buffer size on the program will fix this! If it doesn't, you have a fault in the product or the cable or a very slow PC. Bottom Line: tons of effects which are usually only seen in expensive multi effects pedals with the benefit of being able to record your music (which sounds great). Personally I don't use the Abelton Live, but simply just GarageBand (MAC) and it works great! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had it a few weeks now and believe this product is very reliable, but being as it is a computer device and knowing that computers tend to go wrong, I wouldn't recommend this product with out a back up. I can't imagine anything going wrong with this product inside the warranty and considering it's made by a top brand in the music industry, it's looking like a great product at a fantastic price. // 9

Overall Impression: I play all sounds of music from blues, rock and even some metal music. This product is Perfect if you wish to record your sound and get a ton of useful amp sounds and effects. I also have a Marshall 250dfx combo amp and have been playing for around 3/4 years now. I use this product with my Ibanez RG2570 and honestly sounds great, even playing through my computer speakers instead of my amp! I would definitely buy a replacement product if this broke or got stolen. You might also wish to look at the UX2 which has more dedicated inputs/outputs although this is also a fantastic product for the price! My favorite thing about this product is that it is so small and dependable, that I don't feel the need to have a very big powerful amp in order to get a good guitar sound. This is all you need! // 9

TonePort UX1 Reviewed by: rexatar, on january 06, 2009

Purchased from: Guitar Center Online

Ease of Use: The TonePort UX1 is probably the cheapest, most economically efficient way to practice at home, try new sounds, and record your riffs. For 100 dollars it is the best deal I have ever made. Currently I am saving up for a tube amp, but they are very expensive (hence the good tone) and so for now I am practicing through this. I have been playing piano for 6 years and record a lot with my synth and mac. My guitar experience is not very seasoned, only 2 years, but I play a ton and am very dedicated. This effects modular/recording device has let me play awesome leads and studio-quality backups for my previously recorded songs. At first when I was online I was amazed that all those effects and tones could be purchased for such a great deal. When I excitedly opened the package they easy to follow step-by-step guide let me get right to playing. There were easy to follow pictures and directions that anyone can easily understand and not get confused. I had set it up exactly as the manual had said with everything done in the right order too. Through all my excitement and the easy instructions I had thought Line 6 would do everything for me. I was wrong, there is one thing that you should know. You MUST hook up external monitors or speakers to either the phones out put or stereo jacks, it will not play through your computer speakers! So my excitement died down and even though it was something stupid I assumed, other people might do the same. The issue with that is you must now go out and buy good monitors or hook up headphones. Unless you have good quality headphones it diminishes the tonal quality greatly, I had to hook it up to my old practice amp, which is not good, therefore making the sound on this lower than it should be. Line 6 is very, very, very good at customer satisfaction and help. If you have any problems and call them they will answer politely and tell you what you need. If you sign up for the online newsletter (which you should) they give you many discounts on other Line 6 items and upgrades. They patch the Gearbox software frequently and come out with new tones. // 9

Sound: As I said before I have to play this through my old practice amp which makes it sound thin and sterile, though if you have monitors in your studio already or good headphones it is more than satisfactory. My guitar is a Jackson SLSMG Soloist with Mark Tremonti pickups. Gearbox is an amazing software program that has distortion and fuzz pedals, delays, chorus, phaser, reverb and about 25 amp heads. The cabinets are ok, I use it almost as an equalization, some are more bass heavy others small and thin. The gate that comes with it is great because if you add the distortion pedal with gain already from the amp, you WIll get feedback and static/tons of extra noise. But, not only does gearbox have a guitar hum eliminator (which helps alot! ) it has a gate which though it steals from your tone, helps with the noisiness. The effects are probably the best feature because the delay, chorus, reverb, etc are the SAME EXACT tones that are on the POD xt Live and other higher Line 6 modulars. I like the delay the best, it sounds exactly like (because it is, more or less) the delay on the Line 6 echo farm pedals. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Unfortunately you have to be plugged into your computer, so unless you have a laptop, you can not gig with it or practice with a band, or anything but record at home and practice by yourself. For recording and home practicing, it is great, fantastic. But do not think about using this to play with other people, you have to have your computer and a PA system/ speakers. Being said, I rely on this for my recording as it makes a great easy to use interface. It also has a microphone input and many preamp models (which I sometimes use for a clean tone on my guitar). I have not had any problems so far but do not plan to use this as effects for your amp for gigging or anything. // 7

Overall Impression: I play lots of jazz like Paul Kogut and also play classical guitar. Saying that I also love Avenged Sevenfold and love fast screaming solos. Of course, like all guitarists I play your fare share of guns and roses, Van Halen, maiden, etc. The tone I really go for and love though is Synyster Gate's tone and Mark Tremonti from Alter Bridge. I can get very close to Syn's tone with a solo 100 amp on gear box, I use it as my heavy tone. I find for jazz and such the so called "clean jazz" amp model has distortion and breaks up! I was a little disappointed with that but then supplemented the jazz tone with the piezo acoustic tone preset it comes with. It is worth the money, I would pay twice as much for it. Why is because this is pretty much as good as the POD xt with the exceptions of portability with amps and such. Tone wise, it has the same feel. Get this beginners, recorders, people on a budget, and people looking for lots of tonal flexibility. // 10

TonePort UX1 Reviewed by: jmac72187, on february 25, 2006

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Ease of Use: This is a fairly simple piece of recording equpment. I had it up and running pretty quickly without any problems. Editing patches is simple because the whole interface is right there on your computer screen. You can also download presets from the Line 6 web site. // 10

Sound: I use this with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus. It sounds pretty good to me. The only problems that I have had is that every once in a while, I get a loud static sound in my headphones for a split second. I don't think that this shows up in the recording though. It might just be my headphones. It has a ton of effects and you can pretty much get any sound that you would ever need out of it. For instance, I downloaded the Nirvana - Come As You Are patch and it sounds exactly like Nirvanas recording. It just takes some playing around with. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it. I only use it for recording myself because I just play guitar for fun. I don't think that it would give up on me because ther isn't really anything to go wrong with it. I wouldn't use it on a gig because its really a recording device. You could work it through a laptop with a foot pedal if you wanted to but that seems a little complicated for a gig. // 10

Overall Impression: I will play mostly anything. I write and play hardcore most of the time. But I am always open to other types of music. Lets just say Rock in general. This easily matches my style because it will match anyones style. I have been playing about 7 months now. If this were stolen or lost, I would most likely buy it again if I had the money. It is a cheap and simple way to record guitar, bass, and vocals. The only thing that I would change would be the sound output. I would like for the sound to come out of my computer speakers rather than my headphones. This does allow you to do it but you have to buy cables. It should just be a choice in the computer. I compared this to M-Audios Fast Track USB. They were pretty similiar, but I had experience with other Line 6 products in the past so I spend the extra money for this. // 9

TonePort UX1 Reviewed by: Sanitarium24, on january 08, 2007

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Ease of Use: Once you get the hardware and software up and running, it's easy. It's very instrument friendly. Plug in, start up the software, and play. Now, the only difficulty is in running the included software (Gearbox). Version 1.0 is included on the CD, and it won't recognize the UX1 at first. You will have to use the Line 6 "Monkey" software to upgrade to Gearbox 3. This was annoying at first because there isn't much in the way of a manual to guide you through this part. Once you do that, you're done, everything is a snap. Customizing tones and effects is simple. Everything works the way you expect it to. Downloading effects from the Line 6 tone library is also easy and very fast. So, like I said, the only problem is with the initial upgrading of the software. Oh, I almost forgot to mention the included version of the Ableton Live recording software. It's not the greatest thing to use, there are much better recording programs available for free out there to use that I would recommend over that. // 9

Sound: The sound is very good. You can monitor it with anything, headphones, speakers, or a small amplifier. The recording quality is excellent. The tones sound great during playback. There's an occasional small popping sound or weakinging signal on the output, but this isn't a major issue. As for getting the effects of your favorite artists, it's simple. All the effects you need are in the Gearbox software and possibly even in the Line 6 Tone Library. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As with all expensive equipment, I wouldn't drop it. Especially since this thing is fairly light. But it's built solid, and everything runs smoothly with it. I haven't encountered any bugs with the Gearbox software since upgrading it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play various varieties of metal, and this can give me the sound I want without any other gear. Works great, easy to use, and fairly simple to set-up, if you are a beginner when it comes to recording, I would highly recommend this piece of equipment. I have tried out some other cheap USB interfaces like the M-Audio jamlab and the software they give you with that is trash. This is worth every penny. // 10

TonePort UX1 Reviewed by: satomlinson, on april 02, 2007

Purchased from: studica.com

Ease of Use: Very easy to get great sound out of the TonePort UX1 I was up and running in 5 minutes The manual is included in the software. You can edit all the factory presets and they all sound really cool.Its so easy a caveman could do it. I mean it no prblems at all tweekin this software to get awesome delay or killer tube tones. // 10

Sound: I run my guitar into my Toneport then I run a cable to my sound card and the USB to my pc I have a nice set of monitors so I get awesome low end. You can connet to internet and download tones from Guitarport.com but I don't have connection of my set up. And what sucks is the guitarport.com will not let you extract files to disk to tranfer to offline computer but oh well. I really enjoy just messin around with this thing endless tweekin is really fun. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Extreamly reliable, I really like to record with this through Audacity and they work great together, I wouldn't recommend dropping the Tonport, it's Plastic. As far as giggin with goes If you had a laptop you could gig with this by pluggin straight into amp or PA. // 9

Overall Impression: Any style of Music is a good match for the Toneport. I play through a Marshall VS265 I have a bunch of effects. This will never replace these but it's a great new way to record. I love the end less tweeking but hate the fact that you have to be online to enjoy guitarport.com. If lost/stolen I would cry a little but get over it and buy another one. // 10

TonePort UX1 Reviewed by: epicold, on february 23, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: I play this with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and find recording results are only limited to your ability to mix, which with the right adjusting you can achieve awesome effects for any time of genre. Using it is easy as plug in and play, with minimal install steps, you can also easily play along with a tracks using the built in media player. // 10

Sound: There are 18 default amp models, and 5 bass amp ones. There also ab out 30 stompbox and studio effects. All this can easily achieve hundreds of combos to get a decent sound of the default packs. You can also purchase more through the Line 6 monkey program. If you are a novice and need a base effect to work from, the GearBox has many presets, and by using the GearBox's GuitarPort Online service you can search and install user made presets that are made to either be personal effects or artist effects that come close. I myself have easily made similar sounds to bands like, Megadeth, Pantera, Metallica, APC, and a multitude sounds of the varying sounds of each album. The key is use your ears and never scoop out the Mid ranges if you are trying to get a good dist. Its a myth to make it sound big and bright by cancelling them out.(this wont mix well with a song as the bass is phased out by the rest of the mix) I use only one amp model (Line 6 Spinal Puppet with a 1x12 1964 Blackface Lux cab.) I vary that pretty much to match any dist from any bands by changing the cab models. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Overall the reliably totally depends on your system, which overtime can put a sizable strain on your cpu. But I've had mine for over 5 years, and it still works perfectly with the exception of the buffering rate will skip and cause a small pause when trying to record. This can be confusion and frustrating when trying to record by if you keep time and play through it you can really see and hear results. I wouldn't use it as a gig tool... Obviously its not meant for it but it does perform really well in the "studio" when used right. I would definitely recommend this for anyone starting out to record for themselves as its a pretty versatile program. (I record and practice with mine ALL the time) I have almost no use for a physical amp. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal, so I tend to focus more on the distortion and was able to achieve relative success in creating sounds I've needed. By far this was a largely productive gain from buying this effect station. For a decent price, this was well worth the price for what I've gotten out of this unit. I'd lastly like to add that you can visit my UG profile to see how this unit sounds with my uploaded mp3 covers. // 9

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review