Flying Dragon Boost Review

8.8
 9.5
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Flying Dragon Boost Reviewed by: elbastage, on october 08, 2013

Ease of Use: Well, it's got an on/off switch, a 9V adapter and one knob. It's pretty self-explanatory. I bought it used, so it didn't come with a manual or anything (not that it needs one). It's one of those pedals that you can just plug in and it sounds good on any setting. If you were a hardcore blues guy, I could see you gigging with just this pedal right into your amp. It really brings out the best in your amplifier by working the preamp into smooth, unadulterated overdrive. Great pedal; worth every penny. // 10

Sound: The Lizard Leg Effects motto is "Your Sound... Just More" and the Flying Dragon Boost provides just that. I play everything from prog rock to worship, and this pedal is useful in any setting. I usually run it after my overdrives and into the front end of a Fargen El Bastage 1x12 combo. Unity gain on the pedal is about 11 o'clock, and setting the pedal to this level effectively removes it from the signal chain; it's pretty impressive. Turn the single knob down and you don't lose any of your high or low end. Turn it up and it starts to breathe fire. It is effectively like turning your guitar's volume to 11, 12 and beyond. The pedal gives your tone a "hugeness" that will allow it to soar right through the mix. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have no doubt that this thing will last a while. It seems to be very well made and the parts are pretty high quality. The housing is sturdy and the switch is one of the beefiest I've seen. I'm sure its also a pretty simple circuit, so it'll probably last a while. It has a few small chips on the hand painted surface, but there's no chance of that having an effect on the function of the pedal. Never had any issues with the function and never considered needing a backup. Steve custom-makes them and puts you name on it for crying out loud! Quality product. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for ten years, and this pedal has been a staple on my board for about 5. I have a pretty simple board (drive, boost, delay), and this provides the extra fire that I need for solos. It doesn't compress your sound or alter it in any way, other than just by making it bigger and louder. I kind of wish it had a 9-volt battery capabilities, but that's not a deal breaker for me. I know it may sound a little bit crazy to pay almost $100 for a pedal with one knob, but it's an indispensable part of my rig and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. // 9

Comments