White Dragon Review

9.8
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
White Dragon Reviewed by: Strangeman86, on april 06, 2010

Purchased from: www.ebay.com

Ease of Use: This is a very unique fuzz/overdrive that Sean has told me people didn't fully understand, hopefully I'll shed a little light on it. I got this one second hand after watching a couple of demo videos online. The knobs aren't labeled, and I didn't get any information sheet with mine, but one of the videos explained the controls (I'll explain them later). The innards are neat and tidy, and gooped, in typical fashion for Sean. However I can tell you that there's a germanium transistor in the circuit, it stands above everything else on the circuit board. An important thing to mention is that, while this pedal does accept the standard boss-style power supply, it uses a positive center type (as opposed to the normal negative center on a boss-style). Thankfully I found this out before I fried the pedal. Even if I wouldn't have found the demo video explaining the control functions, it still wouldn't have been hard to figure out what they do. For this reason, a 9. // 9

Sound: I'm using this pedal through my classic 30 and my warmoth tele with one highorder humbucker in the bridge. Currently I'm running it strictly with a battery (until my power supply adapter arrives) and the pedal isn't noisy at all (even with the gain maxed). The three controls give you quite an extreme range of tones. The far left knob is volume, and doesn't exactly what you think it does. The top, center knob is the gain knob and, unlike a lot of pedals I'm trying these days, actually has a very even and gradual sweep. It will take you from fairly light grit when all the way counter clockwise, a hefty crunch mid way through and a nice, raging almost-distortion when dimed. But the fun part about this pedal is the far right knob called simply 'blend'. This is a fuzz pedal at heart, a very nice one. This knob allows the pedal to delve quite nicely into almost-distortion territory. But let me explain something else first. When the blend knob is fully clockwise I like to think of the blend function being off. It's in this setting that you get the sweet, warm and woofy fuzz generally associated with germanium transistors. The gain is nice and splatty here, and the pedal almost sounds gated when the blend and gain knobs are both dimed. But roll the blend knob back and this is where you start to get into the Overdrive and almost-distortion camps. I can understand why people didn't latch onto this fuzz a whole lot, I think most of them probably struggled with finding their favorite 'sweet spot' on the blend knob. But I'm yacking too much. A good tonal comparison for this pedal would be a fuzz face. At least, it sounds pretty similar in some settings to several examples of a Fuzz Face that I've heard. Overall the pedal will give you warm super-fuzzy-fuzz and on the opposite side a very crunchy marshall-esque grinding overdrive. The pedal is very articulate on all but the most fuzzy settings. Since I'd started my Quest to find a fuzz that suited me, I've wanted one that blurred the line between fuzz and overdrive/distortion without sounding like a mutant, something natural sounding. This pedal does just that. Just what I was looking for, a 10 for ME. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've owned... Probably two handfuls of different lovepedals. Never an issue with any of them. Sean's stuff is always built to very high standards with excellent quality components. Even his newer pedals (the tonal quality of which are debatable in some instances), mass produced they may be, but they're still as bullet proof as his hand made stuff. A solid 10, especially since this pedal is second hand. // 10

Overall Impression: I play whatever comes to my mind at the moment. I like to have gear that will cover a lot of ground when I need it to, this pedal is a jack of many trades and a master of a style all its own. If this pedal were lost or stolen I would beg, beg and beg some more for Sean to build me another one. The only thing I wish this pedal had was the ability to be powered by a negative center power supply, but there are adapters to overcome that. Overall, an indispensable tool for me. // 10

More Love Pedal reviews rating category latest review