JamLab Review

manufacturer: M-Audio date: 02/27/2009 category: Guitar Effects
M-Audio: JamLab
JamLab turns your PC or Mac into a personal guitar system without the need for any other hardware except your favorite guitar. The compact JamLab interface connects easily to your computer via a simple USB connection, and features a 1/4" input for your guitar and 1/8" headphone/line output.
 Ease of Use: 7.5
 6.2
 6.9
 5.4
reviews (2) 8 comments vote for this gear:
JamLab Reviewed by: djmay71, on october 30, 2007

Ease of Use: I bought the JamLab and went home and installed the software. The book says you can't use it on Windows XP, but you can as long as you have SP2. After setting up your sounds settings your ready to go. Plug in your fave guitar and play. I rated this as an 8 because the manual I got in the package was an out of date one, but you can download a book from online, so it's all good. // 8

Sound: I use my Peavey Raptor EXP Plus on with the JamLab. This little package contains a load of effects, and you can purchase even more online. I was disappointed with the softwares help files, as they didn't explain what dails did what with the effects, but any seasoned guitar player can figure it out. My only complaint with the effects is the distortion effect. I play hard rock and metal mostly, which it was fine to emulate, but when I go to play anything else, I can't seem to get a decent punk distortion. Another cool thing about the JamLab is it's headphone jack so you don't blow your speakers on your computer. I ended up patching the JamLab over to my Peavey Backstage, but it didn't sound very great. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I like the JamLab for recording simple riffs. If I could find a decent amp that could project it's sound right I would use it in a gig. The only downside would be that you'd need a monkey at the computer to change your effects for you if you wanted to change on the fly, but I'd never let a monkey near my computer. // 5

Overall Impression: This recording module is ok, but it's not the best. If I lost this (which is possible cause it's so tiny), I would file an insurance report and get a Line6 POD instead. I've been playing for over 2 years now, and I needed to record stuff for the band, so I came dependent on this. Ok if your starting out, but invest elsewhere if looking for a quality product. // 5

JamLab Reviewed by: coreyvf, on february 27, 2009

Price paid: C$ 59

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: It took me a while to figure out how to set up the thing. Installation was a breeze, but at first I thought the sound was supposed to come out of your computer. It was a little misleading. But, you simply have to plug in speakers or headphones into the headphone input jack, in the device. So if you're having trouble getting sound to come out of your computer when you use this thing, it's because the sound doesn't actually come out of your computer! But from there on out, it's plug-and-play, pretty simple to use. The software that comes with it is also easy to use. Unfortunately, there were no drivers for Windows Vista until today, they just released beta Vista drivers, which I have yet to test. // 7

Sound: There's some feedback and loud grring sounds as the speakers remain idle when you have specific effects selected. Certain effects are good, and the software is comes packaged with is decent. However, I would recommend buying JamLab just for the input to your computer and actually buying different effect software. I recommend Guitar Rig 3. But with Guitar Rig 3, the thing sounds great. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It's dependable, small, and durable. Don't expect it to break if I were to drop it. It's a well made piece of equipment, even though it's pretty simple. I'd use it at a gig without a backup. It's a reliable piece of equipment and I've had 0 problems with it and don't expect to. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I'd recommend it if you're looking for an input to plug your electric guitar into your computer. But I would not recommend the software it comes packaged with. There are too little effects, and most of them are crap. If you just need an affordable input, get JamLab. But the software and effects that it does come with are decent for beginners. I like that it's easy to use and gets the job done, it works great with Guitar Rig 3 and can output the great effects it uses. // 8

More M-Audio reviews rating category latest review
+ Black Box Reloaded 9.5 Guitar Effects 09/02/2008