PS-1A Phase Shifter Review

manufacturer: Maestro date: 03/21/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Maestro: PS-1A Phase Shifter
This is a Vintage phase shifter from the 70s. If you want to change the speed of the phasing you have to lean down and change it yourself. By far the best lush phase sound I have ever heard in a pedal, great for those Vintage tone freaks that want to collect something from the past.
 Ease of Use: 9
 8.5
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
PS-1A Phase Shifter Reviewed by: SpanishYanez, on march 21, 2012

Purchased from: Indiana Loan Company (Pawn Shop)

Ease of Use: Okay first thing first, this is a Vintage phase shifter from the 70s. If you want to change the speed of the phasing you have to lean down and change it yourself. Stepping on the switch might be too much pressure for the switches (The pedal does come with a footswtich but I have not yet to find one for this pedal). However it is a fairly easy to use pedal, plug it in and set up your input and output, turn on the power swtich and flip the speed switch you desire. However make sure the Slow phase switch is left on because that is the bypass switch. Other than that, that's pretty much it. // 9

Sound: Currently I run my Stratocaster, Jazzmaster, and Les Paul Custom through this. Because the pedal is not true bypass, the tone does warm down dramatically but I actually do enjoy the tone warm down, it gives it an analog sort of sound to it with my Fender Blues Jr amplifier. The phasing does not provide much options other than Slow, Medium, and Fast but the tone is amazingly effective and lush. I bought this due to the fairly low price I saw when I was at the Pawn Shop. I recommend this pedal is played by itself or with another analog pedal or else it will make that pedal sound very thin and metallic. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Because this pedal is from the 70s, I only use it for home and future studio use. As far as live sound, I will prefer to use another phase shifter due to the fact that I cannot change the speed without a separate pedal and that I would love to keep this for a very long time. So my live pedal will be my EHX Phaser. I do depend on it for the sound but as far as the durability and the price for a NOS Phaser of this year, I prefer not to use it for extreme use. // 7

Overall Impression: By far the best lush phase sound I have ever heard in a pedal, great for those Vintage tone freaks that want to collect something from the past. I do not recommend this pedal for live use, instead I would rather suggest studio or for the sake of collecting it as a treasure of the past. If it was stolen I would be very upset because I bought this for 20 dollars and on eBay they run for 200-300 for the same pedal in the condition I have. I hope to collect other Vintage pedals in the future and hope they are as impressive as this huge box. // 8

More Maestro reviews rating category latest review
+ MA38BKCH6 3.2 Acoustic Guitars 04/24/2013