EH-1 Echohead Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 02/15/2006 category: Guitar Effects
Marshall: EH-1 Echohead
From crystal-clear echoes to hypnotic reverse delays via the vintage whir of a retro tape machine, the Echohead recreates 6 different delay effects for you explore. Create pulsing tones from your guitar rig and add dense rhythmic textures to your sound. The EH-1 has a maximum delay time of 2000ms, stereo outputs and a tap tempo delay input.
 Ease of Use: 8
 8.6
 9.2
reviews (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
EH-1 Echohead Reviewed by: StuC, on january 26, 2006

Ease of Use: It is very easy to experiment different delay types with this pedal. The manual was clear and very helpful, it also gave a few suggested pedal settings to get you started. Its a pain in the ass to change the battery because you have to unscrew the battery coverplate, change the battery, then screw it back on again. My advice is to buy a standard 9 Volt power supply. I also found that the arrows on the knobs are quite hard to see in some light conditions, and the settings were hard to change in dull light. // 7

Sound: There is a great sound to this pedal, I much prefer it to any of the Boss pedals. The EH-1 can simulate six different delay types (HIFI, Analogue, Tape echo, 'Multi tap', reverse delays & 'mod filter'). All these are fun to use and cover all the styles of music I play (Alt. rock, Metal, blues). // 10

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't depend on this pedal in a gig without a power supply, it drains batteries to fast & takes ages to change. The echohead's outer shell is made out of solid metal, which is comfortable & safe to put your foot on without crushing the pedal. // 8

Overall Impression: Its a great pedal and I think it beats other delay pedals at this price & sound. I'm seriously thinking about buying another one of the new Marshall pedals. If it got lost or stolen, I would defently dish out another 60 to go buy another one. I think the Boss delays will still remain favourates for most players, but it's still defently worth trying the echohead out. // 9

EH-1 Echohead Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 15, 2006

Purchased from: Nevada Music

Ease of Use: This pedal is awesome. If you know what kind of delay you want then it is easy to get a good sound. The controls are a bit fiddly and hard to see on a stage, which is a pain, but I only use a few different settings on stage, so this isnt a problem for me but it might be for someone else. The manual comes with a few suggested settings but with a delay pedal like this the sky's the limit as it is very versatile. // 9

Sound: I use this pedal with my Fender Strat and Marshall AVT 150. I was originally looking at buying a Boss dd-6, which was very nice, but at 130, it was over twice the price of this and this has a much nicer tone to it as long as you are using decent cables with it as it can be very noisy with poor cables. The pedal itself has 6 diferent modes: hi-fi, analogue, tape echo, multi tap, reverse and MOD filter. The first 3 are fairly similar, and with the feedback level up full you can have an indefinite (yes, really) echo of a few notes, but with anymore then you just end up with a muddy mess. This pedal is really great at the subtle room echo when you have the delay time knob turned down. This can really boost sustain. The Best setting is the excellent reverse mode. I still haven't worked out exactly what it does to the original signal, but the effect is incredible and it is a lot of fun! I have found it really easy to get the effect that John Frusciante does when he is tremelo picking as this pedal can give the effect that your tremelo picking is much faster than it actually is. The multi tap and MOD filter seem to incorporate a chorus style effect as well, which gives a very '80s tone. These two settings are very useful and they makes this a rediculously versatile pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal would survive a nuclear blast! Need I say anymore? // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything rock 'n' roll and I find this to be the perfect Digital Delay pedal whenever I need it. I am sure that there would be room for this pedal in any style of music. There is nothing more that it could have that you would want from a delay pedal. My favourite feature has to be the psycadellic reverse mode. If It were stolen I would buy it again as it is the best delay pedal out there and it is much cheaper that most of the others. This pedal beats the Boss Delay pedals and is alot cheaper. // 10

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ MG30CFX 9.9 Guitar Amplifiers 12/02/2014