JH-1 Jackhammer Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 03/20/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Marshall: JH-1 Jackhammer
From cranium crushing crunch, use the Contor control to scoop for savage slamming solos. The most extreme Marshall distortion pedal ever. If you want the earth to move - you need a Jackhammer.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Ease of Use: 8.5
 8.2
 9.2
 7.2
reviews (14) pictures (2) 54 comments vote for this gear:
JH-1 Jackhammer Reviewed by: libriumbum, on june 27, 2005

Ease of Use: I thought I would leave a review of the JH-1 up here for all those guys just starting out, the JH-1 is a combined distortion/overdrive pedal, much like many of the Boss duo's on the market. If you are going for that classic Marshall distortion sound which has made so many of the worlds greats sound even greater I urge you to stay away from this pedal, you should opt for the Boss DS-1 for a clean but raunchy distortion with high sustain because the jackhammer just won't pull it off. However, I find that the Overdrive setting on this pedal simply kicks ass, I play a lot of metal and I have found myself moving towards lighter punkier, bluesy and often hard-core country (if there is such a thing) in my playin after getting this pedal. It's crunchy, sharp but warm Overdrive has in a way inspired me and as od goes it's damn well versatile. I love it! // 10

Sound: I use two of these pedals along with a pod XT-Live going through two Crate GT1200H stacks, it's a stereo set up! The pedal tends to be very noisy after high gain, especially on the od setting, I wouldn't know about the dist 'cause I've only used it once! It's one of the best rhythm Overdrive sounds I've used in a long time, very weak for soloing but hey aint all over drivce units! I found this pedal perfect for green day covers, I play in a gd cover band part-time and this is the only pedal I need, great fot theit old punky stuff, brilliant for the new pop stuff! // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal won't die, I would throw it off a twenty story building and the only worry I would have is it hitting an innocent bystander below! As I said, its all I use for my tribute band, one and only one is all you need! // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, punk, blues, jazz, folk, you name it, apart from metal I would use this for everything! If I lost it I'd buy two more just in case I lost it again. I love the Overdrive, I hate the distortion, its simple to use as far as stomp boxes go! I have all the Boss OD pedals and they are good but this is better as I said its sound inspired me! I wish it had an equally inspiring distiortion sound but it's cheap enough to buy for the 1 effect! // 8

JH-1 Jackhammer Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 14, 2008

Ease of Use: This pedal could be a bit complicated for beginners to get good sound from it because of the "Contour/Frequency" knobs, but if you give it some time, you can get most amazing sound. I give it a ten because I have found my favorite sound. It's manual is basic, but I didn't expect anything more because it's a distortion pedal and there is no much philosophy in using it. There are some distortion presets given in the manual, but I didn't like any so I kinda made my own sound. // 10

Sound: I have Washburn G-5V guitar with Seymour Duncan humbucker on the bridge. I play mostly hard rock so I rarely use neck and mid pickups which are both single coil..I have used multiple amps with it and it sounds great on every. My friend that plays with me in my band bought Boss DS1 couple of days ago and I totally like JackHammer more... The Boss is kinda too artificial to me... JackHammer. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I totally depend on it. I have had couple of gigs with it and haven't had any problems with it never. I use it without backup. Before I bought it I used my friend's Zoom GFX5 and I could use it after I bought it but I like it's distortion better so I don't even take this Zoom to gigs, it stays at home. It's built as a brick and I'm not afraid of throwing it at my drummer when he plays too loud. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly hard rock, but I all-together, I play everything. This pedal completely fulfills my needs... I'm playing actively for 2 years now and I have had chance to deal with all sorts of processors and pedals and in field of stomp boxes JH-1 is absolute leader! I just don't like that I didn't get a power supplier with it and that I had to buy one separately (about 5$). If stolen I'd buy it again (I got it as a present (though I asked for it)), or I'd save more money and buy Ibanez TubeScreamer (just because Kirk Hammett uses it) // 10

JH-1 Jackhammer Reviewed by: ron4ik16, on march 20, 2012

Purchased from: MuzPro.lv

Ease of Use: In my opinion the JH-1 Jackhammer is relatively easy to use. The control knobs are, in my opinion, quite comfortable for use(unless your fingers are FREAKISHLY huge). You can easily adjust your sound in the way you want it. If you buy a new, unused one at a music store, in the internet, then you always get a short, basic, easy-to-understand manual, where everything is explained about the pedal and you also get provided with four basic setting examples to get you started. // 10

Sound: I am using a 15watt Hartke combo amplifier with a Harley Benton Les Paul (I know, it's a cheap one, but what can I do?). The sound of the pedal is truly as clean as people say. I have never heard my guitar tone being affected in a bad way by this pedal, when I, for example, switch from distortion to clean(whereas, even a GOOD Boss DC-2 pedal always affects your clean tone) I myself haven't examined all of the possibilities of JH-1 Jackhammer, but I can tell you: normally - there's no way that this pedal will affect you tone in a bad way(unless it somehow gets broken). The effects are quite rich, you can do quite a lot of things with this pedal alone. You can adjust mids, bass treble, you can choose between Overdrive and Distortion modes, there's also contour control, that allows you to scoop the frequencies that you want to(like upper mids, lower mids). I haven't really tried to get a favorite artists guitar tone yet. But I'm sure that it is possible with the pedal (especially if you opt to get a tone of a Hard Rock/80's Metal artist), because it's a high-quality pedal for a REASONABLE price. If you would ask me what artist's tone I would like to get, then I would answer - Matthias Jabs, Eddie Ojeda, Mick Mars, Herman Li, maybe also I would try to get Yngwie Malmsteen's, Kirk Hammett's or Michael Angelo Batio's tone as well. Speaking about certain effects - if you would compare a JH-1 Jackhammer with a NORMAL Boss DC-2 Turbo Distortion pedal, then, of course, Boss distortion would be, kind of, sharper, edgier. BUT!!! Nowadays, Boss DC-2 pedals quality has somewhat waned, and that's why, overall - JH-1 Jackhammer is better. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Since the pedal has got a metal body - the owner of this pedal does not have to worry about this pedal getting broken. Hell, this pedal would even withstand being slammed down from a roof of a 20-story building! You can surely use this pedal live without any backup. Not to mention that you can also use this pedal as a means of self-defense if need to be. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for a little more than 2 years, and I am quite enthusiastic about it. I play everything that is Rock, Metal or Punk, and some Blues as well(mostly - Blues-rock). Except Black Metal, Death Metal, Grind Metal, Rap Metal, Pop-rock and Industrial Metal (at least for now). And I can assure you - JH-1 can pull off more, or less, all of these styles. Basically, there is nothing in this pedal, that I would nag about. I love it. I guess, for me - favorite feature in it would be the Overdive/Disortion function. I find it really comfortable. If you would ask me what styles is it best for, I'd say - Blues-rock, Hard Rock, 80's Metal and some Green Day-esque Punk Rock. If it would ever be stolen from me, or lost - I'd buy another one. The only things I wish it had would be - echo(if that's possible for a pedal), reverb and maybe delay function. But that's just because I don't have them in my combo amp. So, all in all - HANDS DOWN, IT IS ONE HELL OF A DISTORTION PEDAL! ONE OF THE BEST EVER MADE! // 10

JH-1 Jackhammer Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 24, 2005

Purchased from: Martin's Music

Ease of Use: This little puppy is decently easy to use. It will take a little while to find the sound you are looking for, but when you get it it's just magic. It comes with "suggested" settings but its way better to use your own. It's pretty easy to switch from a classic Marshall Overdrive to an evil as hell super heavy distorted one and anything in between. // 8

Sound: I am using this guitar with a Fender Strat and a Behringer GX210 amp. I bought this pedal because I like the amp except that the Overdrive was shite on it for anything heavy. This pedal isn't noisy at all until you crank the gain, in which case you get a sweet super heavy sound. Overall this pedal sounds amazing. It will kinda turn you amp into a Marshall or very close anyways. Go to drop D and you will get sound so evil the devil will s--t himself. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would absoloutely depend on this pedal, its built like a damn tank. With the exception of the bottom, the whole thing is metal. I would gig this pedal for sure! // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly heavy metal and hard rock, along with some bluesy and punky stuff. This pedal suits these styles great. You can play some mellow stuff with it, but its really ment for hard rock and metal. If it were stolen it find the wank who took it or buy a Marshall amp of some sort and not worry bout pedals. What I love about this pedal is the sound and how solid it is. The only thing that could be bad about it as I think it retails around $160US I just got a good deal on mine. If you want a Marshall tone cheap, this pedal is for you. But don't expect it to sound exactly the same as a Marshall, if you want the real thing you got to buy the amp. // 10

JH-1 Jackhammer Reviewed by: hcis4me, on june 08, 2005

Sound: I play on a Vintage SG (lefthanded) and as amp I use an Bogey 40 watts tube amp. To me, the pedal fits just perfectly with the tube amp and the guitar. By the way the guitar has Wilkinson Alnico II humbuckers so the sound can't be wrong! The sound. First of all a little hint, tune the gain on your amp way back when you connect this pedal on your amp. Use the distortion of the Jackhammer and "boost" the distortion/overdrive with the gain knob on your amp. Then you'll be able to create a sound (dependable of guitar and amp ofcourse) you very like to hear! The sound you can create can be like very dark or very high and loud distorted. It just what sound do you like and dont like. To me it's like damn, I didnt know I could create kickass sound like that! So to me, this is a f--king great overdrive/distortion pedal. That's Marshall you know! // 10

Overall Impression: It's good match for me, my equipment and really important my own stuff like metal and hard rock. I play like 2 years constantly (like 2 hours a day) and overall 4 years. Like Slash said, first of all, learn to play the guitar before you buy expensive, complicated amps and pedals. And by the way they can't steal it, 'cause I'll never leave this pedal alone! There are zero things I hate about it, and I just love it by using it and by touching it! It's just a very beautiful pedal that's delivers a kickass sound! And thanks Marshall for making such a great pedal! // 10

JH-1 Jackhammer Reviewed by: rnrsoldier1461, on august 28, 2006

Ease of Use: It is fairly easy to get a good sound out of the distortion part. The manual is very good, tells you how to get a Vintage or crunchy sound. No, it hasn't been upgraded since I bought it. It's really hard to get a good sound out of the distortion however, just because the distortion on it sucks unless you crank the gain on your amp also. // 8

Sound: I am using it with an Epiphone Vintage G-400 and a Crate 10 watt solid state amp. It's only noisy if you crank the gain. The distortion setting on it is very weak, however I love the Overdrive setting, I can make the o.d. sound like distortion if I want to. I can get sounds like Slash's leads, and also AC/DC. Like I said, the distortion sucks but you don't even need it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You can depend on it and use it on a gig without a backup, I think. It's built like a tank. There's not really much else to say, it would be pretty hard to break, unless you like threw it out of a 15th story window or something. It is one of the best built pedals I've owned, mainly because of the metal housing. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all rock and it is fairly good for it. I have played for almost 2 years and my gear is listed in the sound section earlier. I wish I would have asked how to get a good sound out of the distortion, or if it was possible. I wouldn't buy it again just because it doesnt't give me a heavy enough sound on some songs. I love the Overdrive, hate the distortion. I like how you can control the contour on it. I put that it was $20 but that's because I traded my old distortion pedal in. // 7

JH-1 Jackhammer Reviewed by: masterofeedback, on june 08, 2007

Purchased from: Big Deal Music

Ease of Use: I went out to look for a new dirt pedal looking for Boss and the guy in the shop pointed me to the Marshall display and it knocked me back on the OD setting it didn't like it as much on DS but simply for the OD tone and the EQ on it it was worth the money. I was not so pleased with the included manual mosty occupied with a big long thing written by jim Marshall allthough the suggested settings where quite easy to use for a fairy basic cruch and Drive sound. // 7

Sound: I currently run it in a long FX chain before a POD xt and stero poweramp, it stuck my allmost instanly hoever that it was incredably noisy when you Krank it up, it also it quite difficult in this setup to get enough treble even with the bass turned down and the contor disabled. I've also got to mention compared to other hi gain pedals how responsive it is to your guitar volume and tone settings. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can safely say that I cannot achive my own rhythm sound or my main drive sound without it. it also seems to take a fair kicking with my practises and gigs and is built like a tank and it's instanty noticeable that it weighs a lot compared to other pedals and can take a fair bit more punishment. // 10

Overall Impression: My style is first and formost hard rock to which it suits rather well but with older classic rock it's a little too aggresive and I would like the sound of a bluesbreaker to flick over to for those songs. My only real problem with this pedal is the nosie it produces on high gain and it's poor treble response both are rectifieable with other simple effects or within the amp it's self. // 9

JH-1 Jackhammer Reviewed by: Sweeps™, on august 17, 2007

Purchased from: Private Reserve Guitars

Ease of Use: The Marshall Jackhammer is not a very easy pedal to tweak to your sound. The Manual is fairly basic, it tells you what each knob does and has sample settings (do not use the sample settings). When you are tweaking the JH start on the OD setting, it is easier to get good sound out of this setting. // 7

Sound: I plug either the guitar I built myself, an Ibanez RG321, and an Epiphone Les Paul into a Morley Bad Horsie Wah, then into the JH, and then into my Fender Ultimate Chorus or Garageband on my Macbook. This pedal is fairly quiet, much quieter than the distortion on my amp, though there is a slight hiss. When comparing the Distortion on my amp to the OD setting on the JH it is like Night and Day. However, the Distortion channel is very muddy even when the bass is turned down and the treble is turned all the way up. The OD is the best, you can get a really good classic metal (Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Judas Priest, etc) sound out of the OD. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is built like a tank! Very Durable (I dropped it once and it didn't even dent, though it did leave a mark in my hardwood flooring). I wouldn't use a back up on a gig, I don't see this breaking anytime soon. It is a very reliable pedal, it even works with B-brand power supply's. // 10

Overall Impression: I mainly play progressive metal (Dream Theater, Children Of Bodom, Symphony X, Kamelot) and I do not think that this is a good match. This is not a really good pedal for modern metal, it is good for classic metal and classic rock. If this were lost and stolen I would probably buy a Boss MT-2 or a Metal Muff, because I can get more gain out of them. I really like the OD, it is really good for lower gain sounds, and when I get a higher gain Dist pedal I will still use this because of the amazing low gain tones. I wish the Dist setting wasn't muddy, that is the channel designed for modern metal. // 9

JH-1 Jackhammer Reviewed by: MishKonn, on august 31, 2007

Purchased from: Local store second-hand.

Ease of Use: It took about two months to get the sound I wanted. There wasn't any manual, I don't have even the original box for it, it was second hand. If you're patient and willing to give it some time, you will be most impressed. However, if you're less patient, you should get some Boss pedal, you'll get a great sound right away, but in time, there are too few things to experiment with, you'll get just a fraction of Jackhammer has to offer. // 7

Sound: I'm playing it on Jackson JS30-DK (Jackson pickups), Laney HCM65R combo. Sometimes gets noisy on max. gain/pickup volume on guitar. After some time testing it, I've finally reached the sound I wanted and it's wonderful (considering it's a cheap effect pedal). Perfect price/quality ratio. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far it has never let me down. I haven't played any shows with it so far, but I'll test it when I get the chance to do so. So far, it has been doing it's work perfectly. Only thing I fear about is it's body, I've seen much broken potentiometers, the body itself is tought and hard to destroy, but the controllers look fragile. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm playing metalcore/deathcore/thrash riffs, so the Jackhammer is the perfect fit. I've been playing for over a year now, but I'm a quick learner. If I had to choose again, I might try some Boss stuff, but I'm not sure about that. Compared to Boss Hypermetal it has much cleaner sound. It's a perfect choice in it's category. // 9

JH-1 Jackhammer Reviewed by: uvq, on december 27, 2007

Purchased from: air guitars

Ease of Use: To get a good sound you have to fiddle about with it for a while but you can use the suggested settings in the manual to base your soundon and then change it from there. The manual contains 4 suggested settings and a big paragraph about jim Marshall and how he is wishing us all the best or something, it also tells you what each knob does. This is mega easy to use. // 10

Sound: I'm using a big Marshall 2x12 to the Jackhammer to a Dunlop Crybaby Wah to my Gibson SG. Basically I don't need this pedal with my amp but I bought it for a little boost when I need it. To get a great boost use your overdrive channel on the amp, turn up the gain a bit, but put both clean and overdrive channel volumes on, say five. And then your master volume on whatever you want, depending on how deaf you want to become. With the Jackhammer always on, use a channel selector from overdrive channel to clean channel and you will be very very deaf. The good thing is if you put your gain on full on both amp and Jackhammer, then this means you literally can't stop playing because if you do, feedback will burst your eardrums. Don't worry the effects always sound great. Well I can get the sound of my favourite artists, but why would I wanna sound like them bastards? I like my own sound. I do believe it's how you play it aswell. Both distortion and overdrive are good if you're looking for a big boost you can use chorus, not in the Jackhammer but with some amplifiers. With the contour on my amp to 1 and the contour on the jackhammer to 10, it sounds weird I've never heard anything like it before. Oh yeah, when you're on the clean channel with this pedal on, turn gain up full and volume full on the overdrive setting and say, contour on full too, you are super distorted but the cool thing is, you can still hear the clean sound under it which means when soloing you can hear every note played clearly no matter how fast, the only thing is on the distortion instead of overdrive. And on the clean channel, you get clean pinch harmonics rather than the distorted, sustained ones of the amplifiers own Overdrive channel. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it, it's quite heavy for a pedal. But not as heavy as the crybaby wah wah. I wouldn't use it at a gig, because the only thing I use there is wah wah pedal in terms of effects, my amp is good enough. But if you were using effects pedals (cheating), you wont need a backup. But I bet if you drove a car over it, it would smash all the knobs on it. But why would there be cars driving on stage? // 9

Overall Impression: I play everything from Ted Nugent to Metallica to Pink Floyd to Rihanna, well I actually do play everything, not every song ever written cause I haven't heard every song ever written but I play a fair amount of different stuff. I've been playing almost 2 years. I own some guitar leads you know, they always help. I wish I asked for another one of those little connecting lead things you can get (I got mine free) 'cause they look good. If it were stolen or lost, I'd just say oh well, and continue playing straight through my amp. I love the fact it says Marshall on it, makes it look better than other pedals. I hate the fact that you need something to open the bottom up like a coin or knife. What happens if you were in the middle of a forest and you needed to change the battery? See? Marhsall haven't thought that part through. My favourite feature is that you can actually stamp on it hard. Why would I compare it to other products? It's Marshall, they are the best. // 10

JH-1 Jackhammer Reviewed by: Blompcube, on february 23, 2008

Purchased from: Trevor Davies Music

Ease of Use: This pedal is relatively easy to get a good sound out of if you understand how the controls work. I wouldn't say it's a pedal for beginners though. The controls consist of an overdrive/distortion switch, and stacked volume/gain, bass/treble and contour/frequency knobs. Because it's very tweakable it can take a while to get the sound you want but once you've got it it's very rewarding. One thing that lets it down however is you can't really Switch between distortion and Overdrive without having to tweak the controls to suit each setting. The manual is just a little leaflet which gives you some examples of settings and tells you how to use it, which is only useful if you're a beginner, otherwise, you probably wouldn't need a manual anyway. I'm not entirely sure if there has been an upgrade to the internal workings of the JH-1, but I have seen some models with "metal XL" written on the logo. // 7

Sound: I use this pedal with various guitars, mainly into a Laney VC30. I usually run the distortion mode into the clean channel, and overdrive mode into the Drive channel on the amp with the gain pushed up a little so that the amp is breaking up a little on it's own. Distortion mode being run into the amps Drive channel is rather muddy, but can be usable on some settings. I usually have the gain on the pedal at about 10 o'clock, with the contour turned completely down, as that gives me just the right amount of gain I need without any scooped mids, good for classic rock and blues. A setting I also like a lot is Overdrive run into the clean channel with a single coil neck pickup, sounds especially good with my Fender Cyclone. Of course it can be noisy, it's a distortion pedal, but it's only really noticable if you crank the gain. I didn't buy the pedal with any intention of sounding like any of my favourite artists, but I can get a similar sound to the Hotel California guitar solo out of it. Both settings are very good in my opinion, and I'm glad I chose this pedal. A little bit of a problem though which gets this marked down a little. If you have the gain up high and are running the pedal through the clean channel, when the pedal switched off, you can sometimes hear it underneath the clean sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal looks like it's built like a tank. It feels solid, just like the rest of the Marshall pedals. I haven't abused mine, but I have a friend who is offering to sell me his Bluesbreaker pedal for 2, he said it's been dropped down the stairs, kicked off the stage during a performance, generally been bashed about quite badly, but apparently despite having the knobs missing, it still works. I'd imagine the jackhammer is just as solid as it is in the same casing. I would confidently gig without a backup, I wouldn't buy a pedal if I thought it was going to die during a performance. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything from blues to Grunge and this pedal is a good match for everything I do. I've been playing guitar for about 10 years, I currently don't own many pedals as up until recently I've been using solid state modelling amps which had all the fx built in. This is my first and only distortion pedal. I thoroughly tried and tested this pedal, along with the other Marshall distortion pedals (guvnor and bluesbreaker) and the DigiTech hothead and Bad Monkey, before deciding on buying this pedal. If this pedal went missing I'd definitely buy another, it has worked it's way into being part of my own personal tone, I don't know how I ever did without it! The thing I love about it is that it's so versatile. There are a few things I dislike though, first of all the way it can grit up your cleans while it's switched off as I mentioned above, then there's the way you have to re-adjust all the settings when you switch between the 2 modes although that's only a minor thing as I have to compromise on both so I can Switch between them without adjusting, yet it still sounds pretty good. I don't use the contour control, I find it thins out the sound, but that's no problem, at least the option is there in the unlikely event that I'll need it. // 9

JH-1 Jackhammer Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 05, 2009

Purchased from: Music Market

Ease of Use: Not the easiest of pedals to use. I didn't really get the contour or frequency settings. So I just mucked about until I found a sound that I liked. Not the best pedal if you want to quickly change to a different sound due to the two teir knobs and me with my fat stubby hands would keep moving the other setting which was a bit annoying. The manual is very easy to understand and gives you some basic settings which you can then tweek to your likeings. I giving this a 8 due to the two teir knobs which make it a but annoying to change and I haven't touched them since I got s setting I liked. // 8

Sound: The guitar I'm using is a hand made Warmoth strat with EMG 1A pickups (three single coils) into a Morley PWOV (Wah and Volume)- Jackhammer-Fender Blues Junior "Tweed" (upgraded version with jenson and upgraded valves). I have my amp set up using quite a bit of Overdrive on the amp so when I really hit the guitar it makes a nice crunch but when played soft it's nice an clean. On the Jackhammer: Overdrive mode; Volume 1; Gain full: and the rest set to my taste. Its totally silent and the only noise that I get is when I am directly facing the amp but it might be so quiet due to my EMG's as with the pedal on I get no noise no matter what. The pedal has a real true bypass and dosn't affect my tone at all which is very important to me as I still want to keep the great tone I have when it's off. The sounds I get with it are very Gary Moore and Santana esique which is what I want. I bought this as a very high gain pedal as my amp won't do it as the amp is set up in such a way that it will only Overdrive a bit. I give this a straight 10 as it sounds fantastic. My dad uses a Traynor amp with 3 12AX7's and my pedal sounds better than that in my opinon. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its got a metal case so will easily withstand being dropped. The battery life is ages I have had nearly 6 months so far and not needed to change the battery and I'm using nearly everyday. You wouldn't need to take a backup on a gig it's solid. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that it is brilliant. I play a lot of Gary Moore and Santana and it's perfect for that if it's set up right. If it were stolen/ lost I would definately get another as it only cost 50 and I put it up againist a TC Electronics pedal and it was so much better than it at half the price. I love the tones you can get from it. The only things I hate are the Distortion mode and the two teir knobs. // 9

JH-1 Jackhammer Reviewed by: TuxFriend, on march 22, 2010

Price paid: € 20

Purchased from: Huuto.net

Ease of Use: I was pleasantly surprised by the JH-1 distortion pedal. It truly gives you the classic Marshall sound and it is very versatile. I especially like the OD/Dist switch, which has a big impact on the sound and combined with some Freq/Contour adjustments, you can go from classic 70's & 80's rock/metal almost to modern heavy metal. Of course I probably wouldn't buy this pedal for modern metal alone, I'd take the MT-2 for that. But it just shows how versatile it is. Mine came with no manual, as I got it used from an internet auction. // 10

Sound: This is one of my favorite distortion pedals. It sounds fantastic with my guitars, which have active EMG pickups. With lots of gain and distortion it brings some noise, but not bad at all. The JH-1 is perfect for playing Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Candlemass and even some modern heavy metal music. I never owned a Marshall amplifier so I can't comment on whether a real amp gives a better "Marshall tone", but I can tell you: this pedal sounds awesome! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Like you'd expect, it's Solid Metal and looks very durable. The only thing I might be concerned about is the activation button. I would be careful not to kick it too hard during live play. But it's not a big concern at all, I could definitely use this pedal on a gig without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I use this pedal for lots of different music styles, including alternative, punk, doom, Death Metal and rock. I really like its tone. If my JH-1 was stolen or lost, I might get myself a real Marshall amp to replace it. Or I might just get it again. Compared to Boss MT-2, which is one of my favorite distortion pedals, the JH-1 has a very different sound and its actually a bit more versatile. I find almost nothing to nag about it and I've been using it already for quite a while. Highly recommended! // 9

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ Valvestate VS30R 6.1 Guitar Amplifiers 04/21/2014