RF-1 Reflector Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 06/02/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Marshall: RF-1 Reflector
This is an easy to use pedal, there are four controls, mode, reverb time, damping and level. I mostly just fool around tring to get cool/strange tones whilst I play, which this pedal helps me accomplish very nicely. It's also nice as a tone enhancer, improving your clean sound or tightening up distortion.
 Ease of Use: 8
 8.4
 7.8
review (1) pictures (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
RF-1 Reflector Reviewed by: teh_goon, on june 02, 2011

Ease of Use: This is an easy to use pedal, there are four controls, mode, reverb time, damping and level. Mode switches between six types of reverb, hall, plate, room, spring 1, spring 2 and reverse. Reverb time and level are self-explantory and damping makes the tone brighter as you increase it, it works like a tone knob. The manual could be more descriptive, but works well and provides usable suggested settings. // 8

Sound: I use a Stagg strat copy with a Seymour Duncan in the bridge and an Ibanez RGA42T into a chord CG-30. I have the Reflector after a Regenator Modulation and SD Tweak Fuzz and before an SD Delay. This pedal can provide dramatic effects, particulary on the hall mode with all the settings maxed, I particulary like using a Slide and a Wah on the hall setting to get a really strong effect. Plate is more subtle and works well as a traditional reverb, greatly improving the tone of my stagg, but not being as impactful on the Ibanez, presumably as the Ibanez already has good clean tone. Room sounds too much like a scaled down hall for my liking. I've never played a spring reverb before, so I can't comment on how authentic they are. These modes are subtley different from each other, and it requires experimentation to find these differences, but you can get a good range of tones. The reverse mode seems a bit odd sitting with the other reverbs, it feels more like a reverse delay with only pne repeat and but it's great fun to play with, althoug slightly challenging to use artistically. Thereverse mode can be very strange. Providing an sort of Vibrato effect if set at a low reverb time (although disappointingly it dosen't go 100% wet, i.e. You can still hear your non-reversed signal). This pedal generally works well with my other pedals, altough using the extreme settings can sort of overide your other effects. It does not sound particulary digital, altough my amp sounds very digital already so it's hard to judge. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would use this without a backup simply because I can't afford a backup, but with a strong chassis I doubt it would break anyway. There are some small scratches, but this does not bother me. Today, however, it stopped producing reverb when I changed the mode setting and wouldn't work until I turned the power uspply on/off. This is worrying but is an isolated incident in my 2 or so months of ownership, note that I own it's sister regenerator pedal which is identical save for one chip and that has functioned perfectly for 6 months now. // 7

Overall Impression: I mostly just fool around tring to get cool/strange tones whilst I play, which this pedal helps me accomplish very nicely. It's also nice as a tone enhancer, improving your clean sound or tightening up distortion, but if you play alot with distortion I would strongly recommend tring this pedal first. I'm not sure if I would buy this pedal again if it was lost, I love it but my indecisiveness and addiction to proguitarshop demoes keep me wanting new pedals and sounds. Overall I think this is a great and somewhat unique(especially in it's price range) pedal, but not one everyone will appreciate and perhaps something to be considered after other effects such as chorus or flange etc have been bought. // 8

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ DSL40C 9 Guitar Amplifiers 08/01/2014