Shredmaster Review

manufacturer: Marshall date: 07/26/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Marshall: Shredmaster
Depsite being be out of production for a number of years, this unit has always enjoyed a rabid and enthusiastic following. Typical gain and output knobs handle distortion amounts while a treble, bass, and a contour knob take care of tonal duties.
 Ease of Use: 8.8
 9.2
 9.3
reviews (4) pictures (3) 29 comments vote for this gear:
Shredmaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 04, 2005

Ease of Use: Just check out the reviews on Harmony Central to see how great it is. Also see http://blamepro.com/marshallshred.htm to see what the controls do - stuff the manual. Who needs instructions - play around, experiment. It's grin-inducing. // 8

Sound: Think Jonny Greenwood's scrawling scribbly wirey guitar on every Radiohead album. Think Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. Also 'does' Sonic Youth (they all use this pedal. It's discontinued, very rare - over Xmas they were going from between 70-120 on eBay, they're in demand, but worth it). It's possibly the most extreme/cool (bar Zackary Vex FX - you don't get wackier than those. // 10

Reliability & Durability: If Jonny Greenwood's have lasted since Pablo Honey I think it's pretty safe to say that they last forever. Battery covers do have a tendency to go walkabouts though. I'd definately gig with it! You can't beat it. I'd gig without a backup too, use a DC Brick instead of batteries, then it won't die mid-gig. Its not massively battery-hungry. My DD3 gobbles up power like theres no tomorrow. On an aside I would advise anyone seriously considering gigging to use a power brick, modulation FX (delay, flange, trem, vibrato, harmonizers, shifters, phasers, etc) eat duracells like they've stopped making'em. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been looking for one of these for ages. They were discontinued mid-ninties (bloody Grunge) and are quite rare. I was lucky to get mine so cheap. I've been playing a couple of years. I have a slightly modded Fender (Mexican-facility) Standard Telecaster and a 30w Vox amp with a Boss DD3, a rare DOD FX76 'Punkifier' - apparently used by Graham Coxon, a fuzz box that I built myself. Amongst other things, tremolo effects, etc. It sounds excellent with that kit. I should imagine it sounds excellent with any kit to be honest though. // 10

Shredmaster Reviewed by: john lee, on february 14, 2006

Purchased from: Perfect Pitch

Ease of Use: Since the settings are very similar to a typical Fender or Marshall amp the design of the knobs are very easy to understand. Every knob especially the contour, gain and volume are very sensitive, so you get a whole range of overdrive/distortion, classic rock/rock 'n' roll, bluesy feel to it. What I love about the Shredmaster is that when I play rhythms, the sound gives it that signature Marshall feel to it, and even if your volume is slightly lower than your guitar brothers your lead will still stand out. It has perfect sustaining power for blues rock/rock 'n' roll. It has a smooth, but crunchy, feel to it that is why it is my favorite! // 10

Sound: I combine the Shred with a G2 Zoom, to add chorus and flanger, and I prefer stage models of Fender amps, so that it combines the clean, smooth feel of the amp, and the, blues power feel of the Marshall distortion. It is very easy to control when playing with a US Standard Stratocaster or a Gibson Les Paul (Custom). Although I prefer the Fender's distortion when combined with a wah pedal, the shreds sound is quite accepteble. I'm a big slash fan and the shred gives me then snakpitt feel for lead solos and busy riffs. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Although my backup like I said earlier is the Zoom G2, I still prefer Shredmaster. Although I am very skeptic about its durablility in comparisson to Boss stomp pedals. The Shredmaster due to my experience does not strive well on humid and dusty evnvironments. I'm not sure if the users of this effect noticed but the "nipple" button of the shred is highly delicate to dust. Plus the metal cover of the button is always the first to go. I would prefer to use it with a backup. But not to over act about this, a tip I can give is always clean it after using, and always keep a backup shred just to be sure. It took me approximaitely 6 years before I had to have it repaired. This is due to 3 times a week of playing, and 1-2 hours of practicing. Last but not least another problem of the shred is that the lead light it is almost undistinguishable with a new battery or with a fading one. // 7

Overall Impression: We play blues/classic rock/rock 'n' roll, and the occasional jazz and funk. This effect fits "ME" and my style perfectly. Even its feedbacks give it that solid vintage sound. I've been playing for 10 years now and this is my 5th overdrive/distortion and I'm sticking with it. The only problem is they stopped making it. I started out with a turbo distortion, then a DS-1, then with a dual Overdrive, then with a metal zone. It just wish it had better aesthetics to it, and they would make a new model to replace it. My second choice by the way is the dual over drive plus a multi-effects to add chorus, flanger etc. // 10

Shredmaster Reviewed by: Rock God #1, on june 12, 2007

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: Well as soon as I found out (from guitargeek.com) that Jonny Greenwood uses one (musical maestro from Readiohead) I set out to get one. It's a good job I didn't have a budget, because this beast took a fair bit of money. 120 is about $240 I think, plus P+P. Anyway, I didn't get a manual with it, just the pedal. Fortunately, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to use it. The first thing I did was whack the gain on the pedal up to 10. However, this gave off some really wild feedback, so now I'm going to try and get a Noise Gate to cut the feedback, unless you like that. The pedal does seem to give a more controlled type of feedback. Google the Shredmaster, and you will find a page that gives you some settings to try out on the pedal, although none really give you the scribbly, wirey sound of Greenwood. To summarise: Incredibly easy to use and doesn't take long for you to set-up before you're churning out riffs. // 10

Sound: I'm primarily trying it with a Marshall 50 Watt, and various different guitars, although I like to use a strat most, as you get that certain edge to the sound that I'm looking for. Crack the gain up to 10 and you bet it's noisy! Although, you can cut some of the feedback by turning volume/gain down on your amp, or just turning the treble down on the pedal. There's nothing too special about this pedal, it's a distortion pedal after all. It's a shame it's discontinued, as the sound it gives is priceless. Not for the faint-hearted. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think I could depend on this pedal, as it has a sturdy structure with a metal casing. However, I don't think I could afford to test just how sturdy it is! I tested the pedal with a 9V battery, but it didn't seem to work. I hope it was only the battery, and not the pedal wiring to the battery. // 10

Overall Impression: At the moment I'm playing strange, alt-rock, on the lines of Radiohead, Muse and Placebo, and this pedal comes in great for that. I've been playing for 5 years, own 8 guitars and am now building up an effects loop (at the moment I've got the Shredmaster, Toneworks AX1500G and DigiTech Compressor/Sustainer). I absolutely love this pedal, and it was well worth the price. Now all I need is a noise gate so that I can have the gain on full, without having to worry about severe feedback. // 9

Shredmaster Reviewed by: handbanana, on july 26, 2011

Purchased from: Craigslist

Ease of Use: 5 Knobs - Gain, Bass, Contour, Treble, Volume. Took a little bit to EQ it to the sound I wanted but once I got it, it nailed it. I found it really only sounds good at certain settings, and it makes some crackle while you turn the knobs, but I'm told that's okay. I've found it works best with the gain up pretty high, as well as the treble. The bass moderately high, and the volume must be at 3 o clock or higher. The contour knob is what makes different tones come out of this thing for the most part. It's essentially a mid Switch but has it's only character than I really can't compare to anything else. Not quite Marshall like. Very unique. // 7

Sound: Fantastic. I originally got this pedal to beef up my 5150 and make it a bit warmer. It got the job done, but I recently switched to a Laney AOR 50 Pro-Tube Lead head, paired with a Mesa 4x10 cab and it sounds better then I ever could have imagined. I was going for a deep high gain, Marshally, Black Sabbithish if you say, tone. This pedal went above and beyond my expectation. It really is the best "Marshall in a box" I've tried yet. I just sold my Maxon 808 cause this pedal blew it away. It really blasts my Laney in to a new world of tone, without distorting the clarity too much, it still cuts through amazingly and has tons of low end as well. I play mostly hardcore, thrash, metal, and this gets the job done. I used to use a Maxon 808 along with a Clean Booster. Since getting this pedal I have eliminated both from my pedalboard. All I need is this and a tuner now. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Not sure if the rubber foot on the bottom comes standard or not but it's the best I've ever seen. That thing isn't going anywhere. Built like a Marshall footswitch, AKA built like a tank. Very solid. You couldn't break this thing if you tried. Would feel comfortable using at a gig without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly hardcore, metal, thrash, rock, etc. And this fits my tone perfectly. I've been playing for about 5 years and I play a Gibson SG Standard through this pedal, into a Laney AOR 50 Pro-Tube Head. If this pedal were lost or stolen I would 100% seek out another one. These seem to go for around $200 on ebay. I guess I got lucky from someone who didn't know what they had. This pedal gives a great black sabbath tone, also a great early metallica(ride the lightning) tone. Scooped mids, lost of gain and bass. When seeking out a "Marshall in a box" I tried tubescreamers, Zakk Wylde OD, MI Audio Crunch Box, Modded DS-1s, and a plethora of other pedals and this was hands down the best of all of them. // 10

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ Valvestate VS30R 6.1 Guitar Amplifiers 04/21/2014