VT-1 Vibratrem Review

8.2
reviews (2) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
VT-1 Vibratrem Reviewed by: nick dixon, on october 28, 2008

Purchased from: auction site

Ease of Use: This unit is a piece of cake to use. It really does what it says on the tin. Temelo and vibrato functions. Has simple depth, speed and wave shape control. It is pretty easy to emulate those Vintage trmelo sounds, or a slow swelling Gilmour-esqe sound. what's great is it can be run through two seperate amps as it has dual mono outputs. Comes in a sturdy little cast alloy box, with a push button. Runs on 9V dc. // 9

Sound: I bought this effect out of compulsion, as I already have a guyatone VT-2. It's a great pedal, excpet the guyaton is quite noisy and alots a lot of resistance to the loop. Where as the Marshall has a real bypass, and when the pedal is on or off, there is no great deal of effect on the quality of the sound, bearing in mind this is a digital pedal. I will admit this pedal certainly doesnt't have the character of a real tremelo pedal, but it's bloody close!. It's almost infintly adjustble, and the effect is quite subtle. Sounds good with single coil guitars, strats etc. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Built like a tank, quality components. I'd gig with it. Has really solid inputs and outputs like a Boss pedal, not flimsy plastic chassis ones that fasten to the PCB. One thing I love is the Gnarled metal control pots, you get a real good purchase on them, and not horrible plasticy Boss pedals! // 9

Overall Impression: I'm just a bedroom guitarist really, it's a hobby. I love making new and intresting tones, that make people go "how do you get that sound?" I myself am a fan of old 60's clean guitar sounds. If you like this sort of sound (think nancy sinatra's "bang bang you shot me down" etc), then the pedal is meant for you! Personally, I prefere it to a Boss edal (as it's a fraction of the price!.. and everyones got Boss pedals, boring! ) and my own guyatone, simply because it produces a cleaner sound, meaning things like a compression pedal could be added to really tighten the sound up a bit! For the price I paid for it, you really can't complain. It does what it should, and well! The only thing I don't like is it is a pretty subtle effecxt, it dosent hit you in the face when you hear it, but you tend to back off the sound anyway. One thing I really like is it's heavy laquered finish and smooth edges. There's no where really for dirt and grime to accumulate, unlike the rubber and corners on a Boss / DigiTech / generic pedal. This is great for when and if you want to sell it, as it looks pretty much as new. A great thing is, these pedals sell like hotcakes on the 'bay. If you can get one cheap, like I did with the orignal box, instructions and an immaculate pedal, go for it. // 9

VT-1 Vibratrem Reviewed by: monkey_dancer, on february 03, 2010

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use: a switch between the two modes, vibrato and tremolo, and rate, depth, and wave shape controls. Rate controls the rate of oscillation of either effect, depth controls the intensity of the effect (on tremolo, the higher the depth the more obvious the drop in volume, and on vibrato, the higher the depth the further away from the note the vibrato sound gets), and wave-shape goes from triangle shape (gradual change in volume/pitch) to square (sharp change in volume/pitch). The manual is good, it explains everything about the pedal, which isn't much. // 8

Sound: I use this with a Laney VC-15. My effects chain is guitar->EHX Double Muff->BYOC Octave Fuzz->EHX Nano Small Stone->Marshall VT-1->Digitech Digidelay->amp. I use a cheap strat copy and a Fender MIJ Jaguar with Seymour Duncan pickups (JB Jr and Hot For Jag). When the pedal is on but you aren't playing, a quiet but audible oscillating hiss can sometimes be heard through the amp. This is more prominent at higher volume or with more distortion. It doesn't really bother me, because I never leave the pedal on when I'm not playing. When I put the pedal through the effects loop of the amp, there is a very noticeable volume drop when the pedal is engaged. I really like the tremolo, it adds a noticeable warmth to the sound, and on triangle wave setting it emulates a Vintage tube amp tremolo reasonably well. If you set the depth high, and the wave to square, it sounds cool for the 'helicopter' sound, but personally I think the triangle wave is much more useable and musical. On high rates it starts to sound less clear, and it seems to add a bit of an undertone to the notes you play, which I don't like, but some people might. I don't use the Vibrato very much, and I find it much harder to get a nice sound with it. The vibrato with a square wave sound sounds very robot-like; there's a strange metallic sound, a bit like a flanger. On more triangle wave settings, you can get a nice subtle vibrato which can make clean chords shimmer nicely, but I find that if you turn the depth up it doesn't sound very nice. I always use this on full triangle wave, with a medium rate and low-ish depth, to get that Elvis Costello sound, which is what I bought it for. Doing that sounds great; I find the pedal is much more geared towards that Vintage tone than more modern stacatto effects. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged with this with no backup a few times, and never had a problem. Everything on it is sturdy, and the casing is very solid. I think it's better made than Boss pedals, which everybody raves about for their durability. The jacks seem well mounted, which is often a problem with cheaper pedals. // 8

Overall Impression: I mainly play old country/rock n' roll like Creedence Clearwater Revival, Rolling Stones, and Indie rock like Pixies, Juliana Hatfield. I also play a lot of blues, blues rock stuff, like Neil Young, and lots of other styles, ranging from pop to hard rock like Deep Purple. This pedal is great for those styles, as it does a good Vintage tremolo sound at an affordable price. I'm not sure if it would work well for heavier music, but I doubt it would. I've played for 6/7 years, and also own a Fender Jazz Bass, the stuff I mentioned earlier, and a few old practice amps. If it were lost or stolen, I might look into a more expensive tremolo like the Red Witch Pentavocal Tremolo, or just wait until I could afford an amp with a good tremolo channel. I love the low-depth, soft wave tremolo settings on the pedal, but I don't really like the Vibrato or any other tremolo sounds. I chose this over the EHX Stereo Pulsar because this was cheaper, but I've never tried the Pulsar. This pedal has all the features I would want in a tremolo. // 7

More Marshall reviews rating category latest review
+ DSL40C 9 Guitar Amplifiers 08/01/2014