OD-9 Review

manufacturer: Maxon date: 05/04/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Maxon: OD-9
The Maxon OD-9 may look just like your old favorite, but that's where the similarities end. With improved circuitry, the OD-9 stands at the forefront of the Nine Series effects evolution.
 Ease of Use: 9.3
 9.6
 9.8
 9.4
reviews (3) 12 comments vote for this gear:
OD-9 Reviewed by: IncubusMan999, on september 25, 2006

Purchased from: Global Vintage Sydney

Ease of Use: This pedal, the Maxon OD-9, is so easy to get a beautiful sound out of. I am so impreesed with its versatility and I love every sound I can get out of it. There are three simple knobs, just the Ibanez Tubescreamer - level, tone and drive. The maunal clearly explains everything and gives you some settings to use with different pickups to get a nice sound. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus and a Marshall JCM800 with Avatar 4 x 12 (a Peavey Bandit at home) and I love the sound that it creates. Maxon, the company that designed the original Ibanez Tubescreamers are the manufacturers of this product and I have yet to find anything that can match the Tubescreamer tone, until I saw this. It is True Bypass meaning it leaves your tone untouched when out of use and creates no excess noise. It contains the legendary JRC4558 IC chip that made the Tubescreamer famous with added and upgraded output resistors to eliminate noise and ensure that the tone is even more saturated and genuine than the Ibanez. I can use this pedal for a great, screaming lead boost, a nice light natural overdrive or a classic crunch with the twist of a knob. It excels and beats the competition for anything you throw at it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal could be rendered indestructible. It has a hard metal casing and a 4DPT footswitch that will take a lot of beating. I treat all my gear in the best possible manner, keeping it in mint condition, but this pedal is designed to take some abuse. I would definitely use it in gigs and have used it without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything from Death Metal, classic and modern rock to light rock and everything in between and this pedal provides a briliant Overdrive for any of the above genres. It has finally ended my Quest for a wonderful, versatile and and beatiful-sounding Overdrive that makes me sound how I want to. It matches my style of playing perfectly. I have been playing for 4 years self-taught and I own many other effects pedals and this pedal beat out all of the competition I threw at it for the sound that I searching for. I had heard the good reputation for this product and decided to try it for myself and I was swept away. If it was stolen, I would hunt down the dirty crook and get him thrown away in jail for life. I would not lose because I am reluctant to let it out of my sight. The only criticism I do have to make is the limited volume that it can achieve and the sometimes, difficulty of the footswitch to turn on, but it is more than satisfactory. I compared this to the Fulltone Fulldrive and OCD, the Keeley-modded Tubescreamer and Keeley Boss SD-1 and the Ibanez Tubescreamer and even the Maxon OD-9 Pro+ and it easily thrashed it's competition. Overall, I am thoroughly happy with my purchase and I have found the sound I am looking for in an Overdrive. // 10

OD-9 Reviewed by: CkY freak, on november 10, 2009

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: Well I revamped my pedalboard and decided to upgrade most of my Boss stuff. I went from the Boss sd-1 straight to this. After hearing clips of it, I decided there was no other option. To be fair, I don't use this on the clean channel in a Live setting, I only use this on a rhythm channel for extra crunch; so I can only comment on that aspect of it. But I love the sound of this thing. it's very easy to use, it only has 3 knobs - Gain Tone Level. My one complaint on this unit is the footswitch on it. I much prefer the Boss style engage where the whole bottom half of the pedal is the Switch. These only have a small area where you can turn it on, so if you're not perfect, your going to miss it. Also, it's not as easy to engage as the Boss pedals in my opinion. // 8

Sound: My main Live setup is my guitar into my pedalboard, and then into my amp. I'm using my Ibanez RG1570 prestige as my main guitar. I swapped the pickups out for a DiMarzio Tone Zone, and an air norton in the neck. I left the single coil stock. Occasionally I'll use a Fender American HSS strat at home as well. As I mentioned earlier, I use this more as a permanent boost for my head. I have the pedal set with the gain at 0, the level maxed out and the tone at about 1.5. The amp I'm using is a Mesa Boogie F100 and the contour chennel is a bit bright, hence the low tone selection on the pedal. I used to use a Boss sd-1. I found that the pedal added way too much midrange when engaged, and even screwed with the tone when it was off. I do sometimes disengage the pedal for clean parts, which I achieve by rolling down my volume and selecting the middle/bridge pickup combination. I love that this pedal does not add any coloration to your sound. How you hear your guitar plugged straight into the amp, is how you hear it with this pedal between you and the amp. I've always used overdrives towards the front of the chain, right after the tuner, so I can't comment on how it sounds after certain effects. I'm not really sure what bands are using this pedal right now. Most I notice are using the OD808, which I hear is great too. Of course, as with any Overdrive pedal, you will get some extra noise and hiss. I find that by running this pedal through the loop of my Boss ns-2, the gate works much better than just at the end of the chain. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I love this thing. I have another boost pedal on my board, but that is only used in addition to this pedal. This pedal is on 99% of the time. And depending on what songs we are doing - 100% of the time. As I mentioned before, I just don't like the engage pedal on this unit. it's too small and too difficult to hit every time in a Live setting. So it may not be reliable to make sure it goes on every time, but I know it's reliable in a sense that it WILL work for sure all the time when you do get it on. it's also in a very sturdy metal casing, much better than the Boss pedals in my opinion. Boss pedals I believe are all metal except the footswitch which is about half the pedal. The Maxon unit is ALL metal save for the smaller style footswitch. // 10

Overall Impression: Perhaps this unit is a bit pricey for what it does. However, it's true bypass, and made in japan. Having owned a few other Japanese products, like my Prestige, I can definitely tell the quality difference, and that probably makes it worth the extra $70 - $80 more than your average OD pedal. If it were lost or stolen, I'd probably check out the OD808 to see what it's about, as I don't know if I'd like it any better or not, but it would for sure be an option for me. I play sort of a hard rock/metal style of music (music in profile, but those songs were not recorded using the Maxon od9.) I did a bit of research on different brands and whatnot when I decided to buy a new pedal, and this one seemed to be the best, and I'm glad I went with it. I love EVERYTHING about it except for the minor flaw in the design mentioned earlier. I've been playing now for about 8 years, and have used many different stompboxes in those 8 years. This pedal is definitely here to stay on my board. // 9

OD-9 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 04, 2011

Ease of Use: With only 3 knobs this pedal is pretty self explanatory. Just like a certain green pedal the controls are from left to right, Drive, Tone and Level. But what sets this pedal apart is the 808 and true bypass mods that comes standard. Why pay for a reissue that you have to send to get modded when you can have it sound great out of the box? The only confusing things about the pedal is the Switch has to be released to engage the effect and I often use it with Boss pedals and their knobs are all backwards. Thanks BOSS! // 10

Sound: The reason I bought this pedal was the play on the tone knob and the true bypass since I run 7 pedals and 2 loops. I tried dozens of other green pedals and on EVERY single one the bass kicked in at a different position on the tone knob and they all sounded very different. For me as a player that's hard on equipment this makes it way more difficult getting a replacement since if you need it quick you have to take what you can find. That's simply unacceptable to me. I found my self thinking "Well I could get it modded" but that would take more time and money. Why bother, just get a Maxon. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have never had an issue with this pedal and never had to clean it. It works great with lots of other pedals because of the true bypass and sounds great because of the JRC4558 chip made famous by the old 808s. I just wish pedal builders would use plastic 9-volt connectors and not the vinyl ones that fall apart. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal keeps finding it's way back on my pedal board. I use it as a booster and Overdrive pedal. The only problem is that there are a bun of ways to get great sounds out of it. Boost the level and use the Drive knob to set your volume and you have a clear boost that combines well with lots of other pedals. Do the opposite and you have a wide range of Overdrive to light distortion tones. What would you expect though from the company that actually invented the green pedal in the mid 60's. After Ibanez started to take notice, they were licensed by the company until they parted ways in 2002. In all fairness while Ibanez's quality went down Maxon's went up and to me they are the real deal. // 10

More Maxon reviews rating category latest review
+ OD808 Overdrive 9 Guitar Effects 08/02/2012