Boost 'N' Buff Review

review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Boost 'N' Buff Reviewed by: Mr. Tomnus, on august 12, 2009

Price paid: A$ 110

Purchased from: Turramusic

Ease of Use: Made in sydney australia. This little bundle of loud is very simple. It has two big knobs and a push switch. The knobs are volume, which will give you a better volume balance of ur pedals, I generally use this for my lead breaks to break above the rest of the band. The other knob is gain control. Now the trick is to get the right balance. The gain boosts my Boss OD-3 into a kick ass distortion. However, the catch is that when boosting the crap out of ur gear on gain, you have to ease off the volume, or you will potentially get bad hissing or buzzing, not a setback, just the way it works. // 10

Sound: My set up is a Fender American Strat to Boss tu-2 tuner, Boost 'n' Buff pedal, Electro Harmonix Big Muff, Boss OD-3, Boss PH-3, Boss Rv-5, Dunlop crybaby (in order) to Fender bassman amp. The only time it is noisy is when both are turned past 1 o'clock simultaneously. The effect is very effective and can be as subtle or kick ass as you want it to be. I play anything really, blues, metal, rock, alt., but mainly artists like messrs Frusciante, Slash, Morello, Wylde and Bellamy. And this pedal is good for anything really as it is a boost pedal. There are no qualms with sound quality, like any pedal, it's about using it right for you. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Can I depend on it? (chuffs like it's a joke). Built better than a Boss, made of die cast metal, quality components and TWO batteries. This thing is nothing short of kick ass and I would never question the integrity of the unit. I haven't yet gigged, but did try it on a fully cranked bassman at my band practices and nothing wrong with it there. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm a pretty eclectic player, and my main style would be the various styles of rock and or roll. This pedal is just plain and simple amazing. I've been playing for about 7 years and while not trying to sound like a snob, I have a level of quality which I require in my gear. This pedal is way up near the top. My gear is as mentioned previously plus a Fender acoustic/electric and a Johnson semi hollow body, which my sister has now inherited. My only question was why this amazing stomp box was so cheap!? For what it is, it works better than a lot of other boost pedals out there (electro harmonix and Boss anyone? ). If it were stolen, I would waltz back down to The Music shop and buy three. I have no problems with the pedal, other than securing it to my home made pedal board is tricky (I ended up putting brackets in to hold it there), due to the way the bottom of the pedal is shaped. Before buying I tried the EH line boost pedal and the Boss Ge-7, both of which were good, but this one just stood out more. Hmmmm what do I wish it had? Maybe a tone control, but that would just be a distortion pedal. So if anyone is looking at buying a boost pedal, think long and hard before passing on this one. // 10

More MI Audio reviews rating category latest review