Cruncher Review

7.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Cruncher Reviewed by: EncoreBlade, on november 16, 2012

Purchased from: marcmart.com

Ease of Use: This is the Mooer Cruncher, part of the Mooer Mini Series. It isn't difficult to use as its got a simple three knob structure that controls gain, tone, and volume. Since the Gain knob, its real easy to set it where you want it. The Volume and Tone knobs on the other had are kind of hard to dial in. My pedal gets a huge volume spike between 8-10 o'clock and the black knobs make it harder to see what the level is at on stage. I haven't had too much trouble with the tone knob, however it shares the same problem of not being able to see it well in dim lighted areas. Of course, in situations like this, your ears become the solution so it's not too much of problem. // 7

Sound: I'm playing this pedal with an American Fender Stratocaster through a Peavey Classic 30 on the clean channel. The Mooer Cruncher gives you a nice, fat, crunchy distorted sound, typical of British voiced amps. It's supposedly a clone of the MI Audio Crunch Box, and I say its cloned pretty well. There's tons of gain on this thing (I hardly every go past mid-gain), so if you're looking for a low gain pedal, look elsewhere! I usually use this for either a medium gain rhythm tone, a nice fatty lead tone, or when stacked with my TS9, a knock-your-socks-off solo tone. I do feel like it can get a bit muddy and not as clear, but nonetheless it is a great sounding mid-high gain pedal if you dial/fit in right with the rest of your gear and play style. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The small casing and Made in China may seem a bit unfavorable to take on the road for a couple of people, but so far it hasn't failed me yet. I've dropped it twice on both concrete and stone with no major damage or scratches. It's mostly likely due to its full metal casing. This pedal also makes for a great space saver on your pedalboard due to it's small size, (it about the length and width of a wafer bar). One thing that may pose a threat to your live situations is that these mini series don't come with an internal battery nor did it ship with a power supply, so you either have to buy a power supply or already have one. // 8

Overall Impression: I play anything from classic to alternative to heavy rock and this thing covers all those bases! I've been playing close to 7 years now, 4 years with live experience, and this pedal has been a great addition to my rig. Before I could only reach a nice crunch from my Blues Jr and TS9, but with the addition of my new amp and pedal, I can get some really heavy sounds. If this were lost or stolen, I would most definitely go buy another one. The tone and features of this thing are just what I was looking for. I love the Mooer Cruncher for its fat-crunchy-tone, small size, and low price. I wish they could adjust the volume and tone knobs to make it a bit more visible and easier to turn/dial, but I understand since it is in such a small encasing. Don't let it's size fool you, this pedal is a absolutely amazing and I look forward to bragging about this pedal in the future.

// 8