Little Alligator Volume Review

manufacturer: Morley date: 01/28/2009 category: Guitar Effects
Morley: Little Alligator Volume
The Little Alligator is equipped with Morley's Electro-Optical circuitry to ensure noise-free and dependable operation. The consistently smooth linear taper is set to Steve's painstaking specifications. Minimum Volume knob is used for a smooth transition between rhythm and lead volumes. Easy access battery compartment, Gator Green LED indicator, and 2-year warranty. Turn it up!
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Ease of Use: 10
 8.5
 9.6
 7.4
reviews (4) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Little Alligator Volume Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2008

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Ease of Use: This is an excellent volume pedal, out of what I have tried. It was very simple. All it is a the actual pedal itself and then a knob to set the minimal volume, i.e. to change how loud you want the volume pedal to work. Very simple but also very excellent. There was no manual that came with it, but any guitarist will know what a volume pedal does. // 10

Sound: Well, there isn't a "sound," per se, if anything it's to control sound. But as far as doing its job as a volume pedal, I like it quite a bit. A lot of people criticize it for not being able to achieve volume swells, but that's simply not true. This is excellent for the swells, in my opinion. Now, some others I have tried are better at achieving a good swell, but that doesn't mean this one is bad at all. This pedal, while being designed by Steve Vai, can achieve some Vai moments. I have used this to play some Steve songs where a pedal like this would be used, and it worked perfectly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank. No joke. I don't ever imagine this breaking, ever. It is completely durable and I don't think I would ever need a backup for this thing. Plus, this thing is so cheap there's no point in having a "backup," you could just go buy another one. And plus, it's electro-optical, so there's no pots to wear out. // 10

Overall Impression: I normally play metal or hard rock, this is perfect for that. It's like being able to control my volume and have volume swells with a simple step of my foot. I use this with a Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah and a MXR EVH phaser, and it works like a charm. I think this is also a steal; for sixty bucks you get an amazing volume pedal with the Steve Vai name. What more could you want? I think this is a great pedal and definitely worth the buy for anyone Who wants an excellent pedal. // 10

Little Alligator Volume Reviewed by: aeliustehman, on july 01, 2008

Ease of Use: The Morley Little Alligator is a volume pedal used by Steve Vai that I was told to try, and I liked it. Well not much to say about a "good sound" I mean, it's a volume pedal. But yes, it never changes the sound and just amplifies whatever I need and actually sets me up for some good distortion and soloing. There is a manual, although I have not read it and it's somewhere in my closet. It's not that hard to use though, all you do is turn a knob and push it down. It's very simple and amazing. // 10

Sound: I'm using it with an Ibanez Iceman ICT700, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q, then this, and then a Peavey Valveking 212 (in that order). Well of course it's noisy, it's a volume pedal. But no, ha, not that kind of noise, but it can make things very loud. The sound can get a little bit weak when using it at a lower volume, but other than that is sounds great. It can keep everything clear at a high volume, which is good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm not sure I can depend on it, I mean it hasn't broken yet but it was only $80.00 so I'm not sure. Like I say, never use anything at a gig without a backup, but so far, I think I might as I can't buy a backup right now and it seems like quite the reliable pedal. // 9

Overall Impression: I play hard rock, heavy metal, thrash metal and such and it's a good match, it can keep everything clear at a high volume. I've been playing a year, and I'm using it with an Ibanez Iceman ICT700, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q, then this, and then a Peavey Valveking 212 (in that order). I did ask a few things about it because I didn't get it out and try it but I went with it. If it were stolen/lost I might get it again, it's been my friend for awhile and I like it, but there might be something better out there. I compared it to a Visual Sound visual volume and liked this better. It's a good pedal, and I like it so far. // 8

Little Alligator Volume Reviewed by: bass wizard, on january 15, 2009

Purchased from: Fair deal music

Ease of Use: Well this is probably one of the most easy pedals to use. Apart from the actual pedal all you have is a knob to set what you want the minimum volume you want to go down to. There is no manual for this pedal but it's so sraight forward it's untrue. My unit has not been upraded and editing patches are all fine. // 10

Sound: I use a les paul and through a Orange Tiny Terror head, no noise what so ever. Plus the good thing about this pedal is in heel down position (based on where you set you minimum vol.) stops all background noise and any hum from your amp. The effects sound like a normal volume pedal, there is no difference in sound between modals. I play a lot of rock and funk and can easily get the setting of Vai, Guthrie Govan(the most notable vol. pedal users). This pedal also works perfectly with dist., chorus, flanger etc. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can easily depend on this to work all year round. It's designed to take Steve Vai's big size 13 feet so I'd easily take this to a gig with no backup no doubts. The first day I got it I dropped it on the floor and not a single strach mark, other volume pedals would have broke as I have had expierences with Ernie Bal vol. pedals and they all have a tendancy to break easily. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock, funk, jazz and this is perfect for those nice sweet volume swells. If this pedal got stolen or lost I would have no hesistation on re-buying this pedal, it's a classic. This pedal is a dream to use but the only down point is size, it's built like a brick, if you have small room on your pedalboard it's not going to fit on. // 9

Little Alligator Volume Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on january 28, 2009

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: The Little Alligator Volume Pedal by Morley is probably the most simple pedal out there. Designed to Steve Vai's specs. It has one control knob, that is used to adjust the minimum volume. You step on the pedal to engage it, once the pedal leaves the 'resting' position it goes to the minimum volume level set by the control knob. The farther you push the pedal down, the louder your sound gets. Push the heel all the way back down to bypass the pedal. Fairly straightforward. No manual, not needed anyway. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal with a few Ibanez guitars and a Peavey Windsor. It works well with other effects and is not noisy at all. The volume swells are great and can be altered from subtle to drastic differences. It doesn't affect my amps tone, even when the volume levels are low. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank (as most Morley pedals are). The motion is very fluid, and the pedal is housed in a metal case. I would definitely use this on a gig without a backup. I keep my pedals in a pedalboard road case so I don't see this thing breaking on me... ever. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal, and this pedal is great for boosting leads. This pedal would be perfect for any genre. I've been playing guitar for a few years now, and have a small collection of effect pedals. If this pedal were lost or stolen, I would definitely buy another one. I didn't try any other pedals before I bought this one, but for this price the Little Alligator does exactly what I wanted it to do so I'm happy. // 10

More Morley reviews rating category latest review
+ Power Wah 8.8 Guitar Effects 03/05/2014