VAI2 Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah Review

manufacturer: Morley date: 07/05/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Morley: VAI2 Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
The Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah was designed for players who like the Bad Horsie sound but want the ability to change the wah frequency.
 Ease of Use: 9.6
 9.6
 9.8
 9.3
reviews (5) 12 comments vote for this gear:
VAI2 Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 24, 2006

Purchased from: guitar center

Ease of Use: There is no switch how much easier can it get? I always use it in the contour mode because I don't really like the way the other mode sounds. You canreally dial in the sound you want it is very versitile. There really wasn't a manual at all it was more like a cataloge. // 9

Sound: I play my Ibanez RG520 through this wah and to my Line 6 Uber Metal distortion pedal and into my Crate GX-60C. I can't hear any unwanted noise at all. As long as you set the level knob all the way up it is very powerful. I'm not really trying to sound like anyone else but it really has given me my own signature wah tone. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't think that I will ever need another wah in my life and if I ever do I will get another one of these. I have a Cry Baby for a backup but it is just collecting dust. Another note, the company (Morley) is excelent I have e-mailed them a couple times with questions and they are always back to me in a few days and they are very helpful (they even offered to give me a new pedal because I liked the grip on it better). // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and I've been playing for 13 years. I have a few guitars a Crybaby and a couple DigiTech prossesors. If it were stolen I would get another one. I can't say that I don't like anything about it other than the regular bad horsie mode but I just dont use that mode. Can't really compare it to other products because it is the best. // 9

VAI2 Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah Reviewed by: antou, on november 11, 2006

Purchased from: musicstore

Ease of Use: It's the easiest to use in the market! There is a switch for changing wah mode, but there is none for activating it. As you don't need to, just step on, off you go! Easy? I bet so! There is a catalog comes with the pedal. Yes catalog not menu, why? there is no need for a menu! This is the Vai Horsie 2, with the extra counter mode, it gives extra freedom to customise ur own wah. Also it use light sensor to detect the position of the pedal, so no more wear out of the pot! Nice! There are two led showing whether you are engaging counter mode, or you wah is being activated. nice touch! To summerise, the design is simply superb, you don't have to worry simple thing like whether I have my wah on while giging, nor worring about wear out after years of heavy gigging! // 10

Sound: My setup is guitar (Gibson LP Custom, 335 Block, Jem 555, Jem 7VWH) to wah (Horsie 2) to Distortion pedal (Vox Bulldog Tube pedal), to AMP (Vox AC30 CC2, Laney LC15 or Vox AD30), or guitar to Boss GT8 then amp. There is no extra unwanted noise, It doesn't suck any natural tone neither, not like the crybabe or Vox wah, you lose some of you natural tone when you engaging wah. There is a slightly volume boost in clean (by passing the distortion pedal) but not when you are in distortion mode. There wah is not like crybabe or Vox, the effect range is smaller but fuller and more musical. Some said it lose the wah sound but not in my case with any guitar I throw into it. I am not a pedal guy but I will definitely have this in my chain. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think this pedal is considerably dependable. I have just got this week ago so cannot give much comment in this area. However, my impression of this thingy is solid and well built. It heavy like hell for a wah pedal. Much heavier than crybabe. The design protect itself from wearing out and according to people that I know who also own Morley pedals, Morley has one of the best helping team and they are really helping no-matter what matter you come accross! Fantastic. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything but really heavy stuff. Metalica to GN'R to Steve Vai. This is fantastic pedal and it has it's own right when comparing with other top range pedal. The switchless and counter mode is just icing on the cake. It works so fine. However, if you are hardcore metal guy, this is not the pedal for you. This will be my first choice of wah pedal and will definitely replace it if it's stolen or broken. By the way, did I mention it works well with Bass and keyboard as well! // 10

VAI2 Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 23, 2007

Ease of Use: What's easier than stepping on a wah to engage it? The Bad Horsie is great because if you want a wah tone, you step on the wah and when you're done, you step off the wah. A red led comes on to show when the wah is engaged and another led comes on to show when contour mode (more on this later) is engaged. Basically, Morley made this product fool-proof. If you are unsatisfied with the stock wah tone, you can sculpt your own tone in contour mode. Contour mode is a great addition to an already outstanding pedal; it takes the wah from a mellow moan to a raging scream. I love it. Morley sent a rather thick manual with the wah that encompasses all of their products. Inside of the manual maybe a page is dedicated to the wah, but it tells you everything you need to know. // 9

Sound: My basic setup is a Fender modified Deluxe Player's Strat - Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff - Morley Bad Horise 2 - and lastly, a '72 Fender Champ. The wah itself is not noisy but when coupled with the Metal Muff humming comes from my amp. I attribute this hum, not to the Bad Horsie 2, but to the age of the amp and the level of distortion coming from the Metal Muff. When a noise gate is paired with the other pedals I do not have this problem. I am willing to put up with the hum because the two pedals sound GREAT together! I like to slightly put the Champ into Overdrive and crank the Metal Muff up to produce a nice, slightly chunky tone. Then I use the Morley to push the amp over the top and I get great results! I am really happy with the sound the wah produces with distortion (a la Lamb Of God's Walk With Me in Hell solo). Conversely, when I play the wah through the Champ clean, I get a great funk sound a la James Brown's "Big Payback." The wah produces an incredibly solid tone and I am extremely satisfied. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Can I depend on it? The thing is built like a tank! I am not rough on my pedals my any means, but I do push them hard and the Bad Horsie 2 had held up very well. I would feel confident using this pedal at a gig without backup but Murphy's Law seems to plague gigs, so I would possibly bring a backup, just in case. If I did bring a backup it would definitely be another Bad Horsie 2. // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play a bit of everything, but primarily hard rock. I find this pedal to be a good match with hard rock, clean funk, and much heavier styles of music. I have been playing in earnest for about three and a half years now. But my dad has been playing for 20+ years and he loves the Bad Horise 2 as well. I have run it through an Ibanez semi-hollow archtop, it sounded great; I have run it through an American 60th Anniversary Start, it sounded great; I have run it through a MIM 60th Anniversary Strat, it sounded great. This is just a solid pedal that has nice tone with both single coils and humbuckers. If this pedal was lost or stolen I would purchase another without hesitation; then I would bash the guys head in Who stole my old one. I am very impressed with Morley's quality and fond this pedal to be superior to Dunlop's Cry Baby (which is a tone sucker). The only reason I would purchase a Cry Baby would be if I never turned my wah off. Other than that, why but an inferior product when I can buy a Morley? // 10

VAI2 Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah Reviewed by: [travis], on july 13, 2009

Ease of Use: Let me just start out by saying this is the best wah pedal I've ever used or played with. After trying a variety of wah pedals, I could never get the sound I wanted. Then, I discovered the Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah Pedal. This pedal gives me the right kick or bite no matter what. The pedal has two knobs on the left of the foot pedal, "Contour" and "Volume." Then there are 3 plugins: 9v adapter plugin, Output, and Input. There is also a 9V battery chamber underneath the pedal, but it will require a screwdriver to get it opened. Then there is a stomp button under the two knobs, which will turn on the contour. Even though the contour light is on, the wah pedal isn't on, so you won't have a filter effect going on. The cool thing about this pedal is that once you move the foot rest, the wah is automatically on. As soon as your foot goes off, the wah pedal springs back to "heel down" position and goes off into bypass mode. There is no manual that comes with this pedal, but the pedal is pretty much self explanitory. // 10

Sound: I am currently using this pedal through this setup: Line 6 Spider III 120V --- Bad Horsie 2 --- PS-5 Super Shifter --- EVH Flanger. The bypass of the Bad Horsie 2 wah is crystal clear quiet. You don't even hear a single hiss or hum or any feedback. This pedal weighs close enough to maybe 5 pounds or a little less, but it's certainly the heaviest pedal I've used. The only thing that I find on the downside, is that once you take your foot off the pedal, the wah takes about 1 second to turn off. So, if you had just finished a lick or solo, you would have a thick filter sound in your rhythm riffs for a second only. Other than that, it's a great pedal. If you just play the pedal without the "contour" being on, you can get a great wah effect, or in this case, a Steve Vai effect. If you dial in the two knobs just right, you can get a "Kirk Hammett" effect, or even a "Buckethead" effect. If you have both knobs turned all the way up, you get this real crazy scratchy wah effect, almost like an angry cat being ran over by a bus, which is really awesome for "Buckethead" type solos. If you also adjust the knobs, you can come close to a Hendrix wah effect. I've been using this wah pedal for "Avenged Sevenfold (Bromptom Cocktail)," Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Van Halen, and sometimes with Slipknot songs. This pedal is perfect for any kind of music genre. The effects on this pedal are always amazing and have a great kick to them too. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can highly depend on this pedal, because I know how Steve Vai wanted to build a perfect pedal, and he perfected that. I would definently use this in a gig without a backup, since I know this wah won't break easily. I highly recommend this pedal if you're looking for a great solo effect or even for a rhythm effect, because it's certainly the best pedal I've ever used. // 10

Overall Impression: I use this wah pedal through Metal, 80s rock/metal, rock, and a whole variety of music. I've been playing this pedal for about 2 months now, and I haven't stopped using it. I'll keep this in my setup forever. I didn't even try this pedal at Guitar Center, I just heard a lot about this pedal, saw some demonstrations on YouTube, and I just bought it. It was well worth the $179.99, expensive, but worth every penny. If this were stolen, I'd be ticked, but I'd go out and buy a new one. The thing I really love about this pedal is it's sound I can get out of it, without effecting my tone at all, and I love how I don't have to make sure I pushed a button to see if it's on. Just step on it and shred, and take my foot off, and it's off. My favorite feature on this wah is the contour effect button, I get such a great scratchy wah effect when it's on. I compared this to my other wah pedal: Zakk Wylde Wah. The Zakk Wylde Wah didn't express all the notes above the 12th fret, it just treated them with a filter effect, and I couldn't get my solos to sound like Zakk Wylde. With the Bad Horsie 2, I can get basically any artists' sound for a lead or solo. // 10

VAI2 Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah Reviewed by: ToneMonster, on july 05, 2010

Ease of Use: Easier to use than most wahs, and that is pretty simple. No on switch, step on it and auto-on, let it go and off. You can adjust the delay internally but I have never needed to. Control controls are a centering control for the main notch of the Wah and a volume which works in the contour mode to increase or cut the level. Contour is cool because you can change the voice of the Wah or reduce it down for clean if it is too much. Also works to give a Wah gain boost. // 10

Sound: My Wah of choice. I had the 1st model for years and got this II model the last time I redid and updated my board. I love the no moving parts and opto circuit Morely uses, really cool, no pot to wear out or get grainy. I use it before gains. AND most imporantly this is a 300mA current drain pedal, do not daisy chain it or give a typical 100mA feed from a common brick or adaptor, MISTAKE. Give it a custom filtered isolated 9v 300mA supply and it rules. All the bad vids and weird hum and crap on YouTube is from kids not using the proper current level. With all wahs you have that hard press to the front to turn it on and off, which can pop or cause you to lose you timing part in a tune. Touch this and you are in a Wah let ot go and it's off, seemless and noiseless. Also cool effects stomping on the Wah with timing like Vai does on some tunes, cannot do that with a stomp wah. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I like Morely and when I first got this pedal I was an idiot and did not bother to read the manual or the label on the bottom. I just assumed it was a normal <100mA draw pedal, I WAS SOOOOOOo wrong! I started having problems with the tone cutting out and not wahing properly. I was calling Morely and complaining. I sent it in for an eval and checkout and they could not find anything wrong. I realized at the time it was supposed to get a huge 300mA current, I ordered a Morely 300 wart for it while Morely had it and after dying of embarassment it has been cool ever sense! I had a model 1 for years and never had an issue, I have worn out a lot of wahs in my day, this one w no moving pot is major coolness! // 10

Overall Impression: I dig this Wah and vai designed a really good buffer amp by=[ass circuit in it which holds your tone and can Drive long cables which I do not use. All true by-pass is a myth, yes everything should have it but you need at lease one good buffer amp circuit in your chain to sustain your signal quality and loading. I dig this wah. Some hate Morely's and go with the various Crybaby models. I had a reissue Vox muself as I am a Hendrix, Trower man. They wear out and the thoughts of spending all that on a Fulltone for the pot to wear out makes me cry. I am staying with Morely until I can afford to buy and toss Fulltone wahs (not likely). It's a great wah, good price and none of the usual problems with pot wahs. Ignore the bad YT vids hook it up right and power it correctly and it sounds great. Vai is no idiot and it's on his board. // 10

More Morley reviews rating category latest review
+ Optical Volume (EOV) 9.3 Guitar Effects 10/22/2014