DropTune Review

8.6
reviews (8) pictures (1) 28 comments vote for this gear:
DropTune Reviewed by: jamesr, on january 11, 2010

Purchased from: Musicansfriend

Ease of Use: Morpheus DropTune Guitar Polyphonic Pitch-dropping Pedal Features: -Polyphonic pitch-dropping effects pedal -Drop tune up to 3-1/2 steps in 1/2-step decrements -Full octave drop and octaver -Latching Effect On/Off switch -Momentary Down and Toggle/Up switches -Bright backlit Drop Tune, Octave, Octaver, Toggle, and Effect indicators -Rear panel Input Level control with front panel LED level display -In, Out, and power supply jacks (power supply comes included) -Rugged cast-metal chassis // 10

Sound: My setup is Gibson SG Standard and Fender American Stratocaster into a Fender Blues Deluxe Amp. I got the pedal to cover some songs that are half step and full step down. This is the only Polyphonic pitch changing pedal I know of. Polyphonic means it will track full chords not just one note. It does a great job, it is very difficult to notice but it does have a slight delay. After about an hour I was compensating for it with no problem. Like I said I got this pedal for Eb and Drop C tuning which are common in today's music. It does a great job, and has very little effect on your tone. It is certainly useable in a live setting; any coloring is lost in the mix. In a studio I would still use a guitar with the correct tuning. One downfall is it gets much worse the more you change the pitch. At three steps down it becomes unusable in my opinion. But I only got it for a one step and for that it sounds great. Now I can play Godsmack and go right into Pearl Jam with the same guitar and have the correct tuning. Also this has a true hardware bypass so it has no effect on your tone when it is not in use. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It has a two year warranty from the company. It seems put together well. It is all metal construction, with the old fashion metal toggle switches. I comes with a cheap power supply which is 500ma 12v. I wish they would have kept it 9v under 200ma so I could use my power supply. Also you can upgrade the firmware via mini USB. It was simple and only took about 5 minutes. // 10

Overall Impression: I love the pedal and would buy it again. I can now play anything I hear with a standard tuned guitar. And for and whole step it sounds almost transparent. I wouldn't buy this if your plan is to play anything lower exclusively. If you play on playing Korn and Slipknot you would be better off just setting your guitar up for those tunings. Plus this is the first version I am sure in a few years they will release another that fixes the little things that are not perfect. But until then I am happy with this model, and by buying the first model it funds research and production of future upgrades. // 8

DropTune Reviewed by: Ibanezsweep45, on january 15, 2010

Purchased from: Amazon.com

Ease of Use: This pedal is a very easy pedal to use, and it doesn't take too much time to get used to it. The only thing that would be useful, which I did, was to put it tape what the tunings actually were instead of the number of halfsteps. The manual isn't very necessary, as the pedal is pretty simple, but it does explain how to use it nicely. // 10

Sound: My setup is an Ibanez RG350EX through a Mesa Dual Rectifier, and I play mostly metal from Within the Ruins (whom I urge all metal lovers to listen too), who use drop G# tuning to Alter Bridge, and lighter bands. On distortion, this pedal nails all of the tunings, but once you go past drop-B the gain on the amp is lowered. At first I was dissapointed, but then I use a Marshall Jackhammer Overdrive, which I had laying around, and used it to boost the gain, and the pedal sounded AMAZING. I would say it sounded like a normal guitar at a low tuning, even better. You can even get those amazing Killswitch Engage pinch harmonics in drop G. My band is going to a Studio soon, and the quality is so good, I will be using it too record with (we use drop A tuning). When doing dive bombs, the pedal tracks perfectly and doesn't break up, even at the low tunings. On the clean side, this pedal sounds great, but too a very trained ear, some notes in the lower side (like drop G) sound slightly artificial. Overall the sound is amazing, but you may have to use an Overdrive pedal to return some of the gain. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is built great. I haven't had it for a while but I think it is built like a tank. I would absolutely use it without backup and it is very dependable. The pedal feels like it could not be broken, even if something heavy fell on it. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that this is an amazing pedal. As I have said, it nails those low tunings for Suicide Silence, Within the Ruins, Job for a Cowboy, and sounds equally good for higher tunings for Alter Bridge, Killswitch Engage, and Parkway Drive. I play mostly melodic metal, I have been playing for 2 years and it is great. It doesn't effect the tone and doesn't make it muddy. If it wasd lost or stolen, I would buy it again immediately. The only thing that you may need to fiddle with is the trim. I set the level so that the yellow lights showed rarely, but it produced a bit of buzzing, so I turned it so the red lights show, and it is fine. This is nothing a noise suppressor won't fix though. // 10

DropTune Reviewed by: --{matt}--, on january 11, 2010

Ease of Use: The Morpheus Drop Tune has a very simple concept: plug it up, press a button, and your guitar instantly sounds as if it's in a lower tuning. Which means that it is EXTREMELY easy to set up and use. It took me about 10 seconds to get it plugged up and ready to go. You just plug it in, click the on/off switch to turn it on, and start drop tuning away! It even has a built in octaver effect all the way at the bottom of the tunings. As for the manuel, there's really no need for it. However, if you're one of those people who always read the instructions first, they are very detailed and explain exactly how to set up the pedal. // 10

Sound: My setup consists of a Jackson RR3 being run into the Morpheus Drop Tune and then directly into a Peavey Vypyr 30 watt amp. As far as sound goes, this pedal does really good at keeping the tone of the amp while dropping the tuning. However, once you go past about 5 half steps down (B standard), then it starts getting really weak and fuzzy. But hey, who needs to go that low anyway? That's what a bassist is for. I can tell a little decrease in the distortion and it seems like the signal gets a little weaker as you go lower, starting at about 2 half steps down (D standard). But that's more than okay with me since I'm not too picky over my tone and the chords still sound nice and full even when drop tuned. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Not much to say here. This pedal is solid as a rock. As soon as I took it out of the box I could tell it was metal just by how heavy it was. And it is almost fully made of metal except for the display part. The power adapter doesn't seem to be of great quality but it's just a power adapter, it shouldn't take too much abuse. I definitely think I can depend on this pedal and I'd use it without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal, which means I use all kinds of different tunings, from drop D to drop A. This pedal really helps me out since my favorite guitar is my Jackson RR3 which has a Floyd Rose and it's a pain to be constantly retuning. Although $170 is a high price for a pedal, I think this is definitely worth it. This pedal will save me a lot of time and now I can look for bands that I like and not just bands that play in a certain tuning. The Morpheus Drop Tune is a great investment for anyone who uses a guitar with a Floyd Rose, or who just doesn't want to constantly re-tune. // 9

DropTune Reviewed by: Eppicurt, on january 20, 2010

Price paid: A$ 326

Purchased from: Shire Music Centre

Ease of Use: How easy is it to get a good sound out of it? As easy as turning it on! What this pedal basically does is takes in your guitar signal, say it's in standard E, and de-tunes it anywhere from down 1/2 a step to down to drop G tuning! The de-tuning settings are done in half step incrimants. So if you wanted standard D tuning you would choose the 2 setting and hit ON and instantly you have a standard D tuned guitar. So if your not a fan of heavy strings and buying multiple guitars for multiple tunings, this is the pedal for you. This would be equivilant to something like the Gibson Robot guitars or the Fender VG Strat (discontinued)for atleast 1/8th of the price! This effect runs at the end of your chain, right before the tuner. It also has two octaver settings with either a one octave up setting or one octave down setting which is the last two settings on the pedal. It has an input knob at the back to determine the mix and a toggle switch to turn it off when you press down on it and then reutrns to the detuned setting when you release it. // 10

Sound: What setup (i.e. what guitars and amps) are you using it with? I am using a Strat and a Les Paul with a Vox AD50VT and they work equally as well with any guitar with Single Coils, Humbuckers or P-90s. Is it noisy? On what settings? There is a slight whirling noise in the background, but it is not noticable while you are playing. Are the effects weak or do they always sound great? They always sound 120% fantastic all the time on all the settings and all different types of distortions, overdrives, fuzzes and cleans. Can you get the sound of your favorite artists? Who are they? You can get any type of tuning for any type of artists, from 1/2 step down for Van Halen to drop B for Parkway Drive and other metal bands. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Can you depend on it? Absolutely, if you want quick tuning changes with no fuss or switching guitars then this is the pedal for you. Would you use it on a gig without a backup? Yes, this pedal features a very durable metal casing and sturdy pedal buttons to access the features of this very versatile pedal. // 9

Overall Impression: What style of music do you play? Is this a good match? I play anything from The Beatles to Slipknot and this little unit covers all my styles. I used to hate having one of my favourite guitars subjected to extremely heavy strings so this pedal was my saving grace to cover all the generes of music. How long have you been playing? What other gear do you own? I have been playing for 3 years and over those years i've been playing all styles of music and have been twisting those Machine heads manically! This pedal has definately saved time and fristration with detuning. It works very well with all my distortions and delays and mod effects and does not effect the tonality of any of my pedals. If it were stolen / lost, would you buy it again or get something else? Quicker than you could go from Standard E to Drop G! What do you love about it? What do you hate? What is your favorite feature? I love the functionality of it and I love the way it's a better and chepaer alternative to something like the Robot Guitar. It's a pedal I use frequently and I couldn't imagine my rig without it. I have no complaints about it it works great and sounds even better. My favourtie feature is its only feature, the detuning power!! Did you compare it to other products? Which ones? Why did you choose this one? There's not much else you can compare it to because this is the only type of detuning pedal that exists in the entire world! So check it out and grab yourself this fantastic one of a kind pedal from Morpheus! // 10

DropTune Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 19, 2010

Purchased from: Merchant City Music

Ease of Use: This pedal must be as easy to use as say a Wah pedal, turn it on, and it works. It allows to drop 3 1/2 steps in 1/2 step incraments. Simply put it in the effects chain in front of your amp and turn it on at whatever drop tuning you want and your good to go. // 10

Sound: I play this mostly through a Schecter hellraiser c-1 FR (Floyd rose is the main reason I got the pedal) with an EMG 81 and EMG 89. I run it through a Line 6 spider 3 4x12. The unit tends not to create any unwanted noise as it has a trim dial in the back of it. This can be ajusted to get rid of any noise. The tracking of the pedal is very good until it slightly goes a bit weird when you get down to maybe 3 steps down, but ther than that, it seems perfect to me. As you drop further down, the gain tends to fade, so this should be compensated for with either the amp, or an Overdrive pedal. The only real problem I have had is that it tends to mess up your tone a bit. It over does the bass in the EQ, even at 1 steps down. At 2 1/2 steps, it is really muddy, and hard to make out the lower notes on the guitar. I have attempted to fix this with a 6 band EQ, which pretty much fixes it, but compromises the tone a little, even after the Morpheus having a firmware update. It can take a while, but its possible to near completely fix your tone if the Morpheus degrades it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: In the time I have had it, it has been very reliable, I cannot fault that in any way. I am a home guitarist, however I have worked with local gigging bands and their gear (like a low budget tech haha) and I would highly recommend it to them without a backup as it wouldn't be needed. I think it will last as long as you make it, and some more. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, but have interests in jazz, country - all sorts really. I am inspired by many different types of music. The pedal allows for all these types. In fact, you can actually use this pedal for violin, and even vocal for some interesting effects. I love this pedal, and I think it comes close to having a guitar in the same tuning after a little tweeking after comparing the pedal to the real thing. It is well built, looks amazing and is easy to use. Only problem I have with it s the effect on the tone - however, this can be fixed with a simple Overdrive and/or EQ. Either way, it still works out cheaper thn buying another guitar for tunings. // 9

DropTune Reviewed by: WhiteRaven13, on may 11, 2010

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: Incredibly simple to operate! Plug it in, turn the volume to the desired level, and press a button! It has three buttons on the front, an on/off switch, a "down" button, and an "up" button. Once the effect is turned on, the "up" button is used as a "Toggle" Switch to go back and forth between the sound from the guitar and the dropped tune you are currently in with the pedal. On the back, there is a place for the 12v DC adapter (included power source; cannot operate on batteries), a plug for the Guitar, a plug for the Amp, and a volume control knob. The pedal is the FIRST thing the guitar goes into (from what has happened with me, it won't work if you put it after another pedal). The manual shows basic setup instructions, and that's about it. // 10

Sound: I am using this pedal with an Epiphone Les Paul Studio, a Gibson Les Paul Junior, and an Ashland electric (from Crafter acoustic); all through (in order) the Morpheus DropTune, a Dunlop Crybaby Wah-Wah pedal, and a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal; all of these into a Crate FlexWave 15 watt amplifier. This effect gets pretty noisy and has a static sound when you aren't playing, but this is only when it's on and you aren't playing; While you are playing, or while you have it off, it's completely silent, and the guitar passes through without being effected at all. Great sound from the pedal throughout all settings you can have it on. All of the lower tunings you can go into with the pedal sound amazing and perfect. My settings on my amp and other pedals are set up to be universal in sound, so I can get the sound of just about any artist. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is very reliable; it comes in a hard casing and won't be damaged easily at all. I would definitely use this on a gig. I don't think there would be a backup to use, since there are no other pedals like this. The only thing I would use live other than this is a guitar that is in the tuning I need, but this pedal is designed for eliminating the need for several guitars. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music. Everything that has a guitar in it I will play - with the exception of bluegrass or rap (but those rarely (if - at all - require an electric guitar anyway). I've been playing for 3 years, and I own all of the equipment I mentioned above. If this were lost, I would definitely buy this pedal again. I love how simple it is to use, and how it makes it so much easier to not have to Switch guitars between songs. Aside from my Les Paul Studio, this is definitely my favorite piece of equipment. // 10

DropTune Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2011

Ease of Use: It's about as easy as plugging it in. The pedal has 3 switches, the right for turning the effect on. The middle Switch for scrolling up while the effect is off, or while the effect is on you can hold it down to return to the unaffected signal. And the left Switch is for scrolling down. You can go from a 1/2 step down, to 7 steps (3 1/2 whole steps), and octave down, and an octaver. // 7

Sound: I play primarily 80's metal, whether it be NWOBHM, thrash or hair metal, and occasionally more modern rock and metal. And really, it doesn't affect your sound all that much. However, by preserving tube life though, I have only used it on my 15 watt Line 6 Spider III w/ my RP155. And when you're (currently) only gigging guitar is your Schecter Hellraiser with a Floyd, this thing is a blessing. And even though I'm not completely into tuning to really low tunings like B standard, it does start to sound a bit // 6

Reliability & Durability: This thing built like a tank, its made for repeated use and countless gigs. // 9

Overall Impression: Well, I have actually messed around with this pedal since about June, since my friend has one, so I ended up getting one for myself. It's great when you are primarily in standard or drop d, and you need a quick tune down. However, if all you play is in Drop C, B standard, etc. just tune down. // 8

DropTune Reviewed by: Beewoy, on june 09, 2011

Purchased from: GAK

Ease of Use: Rear panel: Input plug your guitar in Output plug your amp in Mains input plug supplied plug in USB update firmware Trim pot set the level to prevent clipping (gauged by green, amber, and red lights) 3 buttons: Down reduces pitch when pedal is engaged or disengaged Up Raises pitch when pedal is disengaged acts as momentary toggle Switch when pedal is engaged On/off turns the pedal on or off. It doesn't get much simpler than that really! There is a manual but you don't need it. This thing is built to have fun with right out of the box. Firmware updates are available and very easy to run with the on screen step by step instructions. // 10

Sound: I have an ltd H401FM which goes into the Morpheus then into the input of my Roland Cube 30. I play anything from Satriani, Vai, Andy James, Trivium, Dream Theater, Killswitch Engage to Rage Against The Machine. The pedal sounds excellent. Make sure you turn up the volume enough to drown out the sound of your guitar acoustically; otherwise you'll get some pretty dissonant harmonies. When you engage the pedal the signal seems to have slightly less gain. Also as you drop down the tunings you lose some high end and midrange, this makes pinch harmonics a little tougher; however with some EQ and gain settings ready you can easily offset this effect. The trim pot if you plug your guitar straight into the Morpheus you should be able to have the DropTune output on full otherwise there will be some noise. If you put any stomp-boxes before the Morpheus then you will have to watch the clipping as the output of other pedals can cause the DropTune to go well into the red. I have also tried the Morpheus running in the effects loop of my Boss GT-8 and it does a brilliant job. You can even set the patch so that the control pedal turns on the Morpheus plus alters EQ and gain settings accordingly in one hit. The bass sounds pretty good listen to my Mp3 of drowned and torn asunder. I recorded the bass guitar with the Morpheus. They're definitely usable. The added bonus of the octave is great especially if you want to play some Satriani solos, just add some fuzz. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The Morpheus is a little brick of solid! I would definitely gig with it and wouldn't worry a thing. The metal chassis is sturdy, The buttons have a positive quality response to them, whilst also feeling like they could take some hits. In general the unit is very well built, and is definitely here for the long haul! My only criticism is that the supplied power adapter seems a little cheap. // 9

Overall Impression: I bought this pedal because I've always wanted a 7 string but can't afford one and don't know which one to get. I was sceptical about the Morpheus Droptune, it is a one of a kind pedal, the first ever polyphonic pitch shifter I could not have imagined it being so good. I feel satisfied with just one guitar and drop tuning it to whatever I need, using the Morpheus. I would try the DropTune for studio recording. I think with the right mixing and mastering etc you can get whatever sound you need. The unit is well worth the money. In fact I paid more when I bought than what it retails for now... And I would pay it again! // 9

Comments