CSP101SL Script Phase 90 w LED Review

9.8
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
CSP101SL Script Phase 90 w LED Reviewed by: Goldtop11, on july 27, 2012

Purchased from: Amazon

Ease of Use: Probably the easiest effect ever to use. Simply a Speed knob and Footswitch. It also features an LED and 9v power jack that the other Script Phase 90 reissue does not. // 10

Sound: I use a custom hand built Les Paul style guitar with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge position and Alnico II in the neck position. I run this into a Marshall Class 5 amp head running through a 1x12" Vox cab with a Celestion Greenback. This pedal has a very smooth, lush and warm phase. With the speed knob all the way down you get a very Van Halen like (if not identical) sound, especially when mixed with overdrive. Around the 11 o'clock position you get a subtle rich phase that is still slow but much more apparent and sweeping. At the 1 o'clock position and up you get a Leslie-esque warble that really sounds great for stuff like SRV's "Cold Shot" and Pink Floyd's "Have A Cigar". With the speed knob maxed you get a a very fast "ray gun" like sound while still retaining a very warm and rich character. The nice thing about this Phase 90 is that it reacts well with both clean and overdriven sounds. It does not wash out the tone at all but it is still very obvious that the phase is there. A lot of phase pedals I've tried are either so subtle that it's hard to tell if they're on or not, or so extreme that they completely change your sound and dominate your playing. This little guy sits right in the sweet spot where you keep the basic character or your tone and simply make it swirly and give it depth. The only "complaint" that I could have with it is that the sound is what it is and there is no way to adjust the depth or how much the effect is mixed with your signal. I'm not going to penalize this pedal for that though, because you should be well aware of this when buying the pedal seeing as it only has a Speed knob. // 10

Reliability & Durability: MXR products are built like tanks. I've only had this one for about a week, but I have 3 other MXR/Dunlop pedals on my board and they've been there for years, so I have no concerns about this one. This is also a Custom Shop model and is supposed to have even better parts than my other MXR/Dunlop pedals. // 10

Overall Impression: I mainly play Blues-Rock when I gig out with my band, but I also play Hard Rock, Jazz, Funk and other genre's of music. This pedal can honestly be used in just about any genre due to it's rich sound and the depth and dimension it adds to your sound, especially on slower settings. I have been playing guitar for 7 years and playing shows for about 3 or 4. This pedal will be a permeant staple on my board, which is saying a lot since I only put 4 pedals on it. This pedal actually replaced my MXR Micro Chorus because it was much warmer sounding. (And that's saying a lot, because I loved the Micro Chorus.) I only want to use one "swirly" pedal so the Script Phase 90 beat out the Micro Chorus. As I've said, this pedal sounds great and I seriously cannot find a flaw in it. The only problem guitarist may have is that it lacks a depth knob, color switch and what not, but again, I can't hold that against the pedal since it is not meant to be a swiss army knife like pedal. If you want a flexible Phaser that has a ton of options look at the MXR Phase 100 or Boss Phaser. If you want lush, warm and sweet phase tone that all of yesteryear's greats used, this is your pedal. // 10

More MXR reviews rating category latest review
+ M-115 Distortion III 9.3 Guitar Effects 12/10/2014