KFK-1 Ten Band EQ Review

manufacturer: MXR date: 06/01/2011 category: Guitar Effects
MXR: KFK-1 Ten Band EQ
First off this pedal is basically the same thing as the 0 Band EQ but it has an extra output and has the cool paint on it.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Ease of Use: 10
 7.8
 9.8
 5.8
reviews (2) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
KFK-1 Ten Band EQ Reviewed by: TheChaz, on march 13, 2009

Ease of Use: First off this pedal is basically the same thing as the 0 Band EQ but it has an extra output and has the cool paint on it, so if you want more reviews you could pretty much look up the regular MXR 10 Band EQ. But anyway it's not hard to get a good sound from this pedal, but it took me a while to get a really great sound out of it. You can pretty much any sound you want out of this man. I didn't like the presets that the manual had in it, but some people might. The one thing that I really like about it is the fact that it comes with it's own power supply. // 10

Sound: I am using this pedal in the effects loop of a Peavey Valveking half-stack with an Agile AL-2000 Floyd rose guitar. The way that I use the pedal it is not noisy at all, but it is kind of noisy if you boost the mids on the pedal, and it can also get kind of fizzy if you boost the highs too much. I have the EQ on my amp: Treble 4-5 Mids 7 Bass 5-6. I use the EQ pedal to scoop the mids and boost the lows and highs just a bit. This gives me a compressed sound with a good crunch on the neck pickup, and when I Switch to the bridge pickup I get a nice smooth sound for solos. I play some thrash metal and some more classic metal (pretty much Ozzy sounding stuff). It hasn't given me any trouble as far as noise as long as I don't boost the mids too much on the pedal. If I want to play a song with a lot of midrange I'll boost the mids on my amp and put the mids on the EQ pedal at 0. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is pretty much built like a tank. The only issue I see with it is I don't know if it has a battery compartment. I haven't really looked for one since I haven't need it yet, but if it doesn't that would be a major design flaw. I assume that it must be hiding around somewhere, but I jsut haven't seen it (I only looked at the bottom of the pedal once). // 9

Overall Impression: This pedal works great for metal and hard rock. I've even tried playing a little punk on it and it worked really well. There's pretty much nothing that I would add or take away from it. It made a 100% difference in my tone. Ok not 100% but probably a good 75%. I haven't compared it to any other EQ pedals except the MXR 10 Band EQ, but if anything else it as good as this, that pedal is the man too. // 10

KFK-1 Ten Band EQ Reviewed by: Rallad, on june 01, 2011

Price paid: € 100

Purchased from: Second Hand

Ease of Use: The pedal is very straightforward and very similar to it's brother the MXR 10 Band EQ. Along with the ten band sliders, there are two gain sliders which boost/cut the input/output levels. This pedal features dual output jacks to, quoting MXR manual, punish two amps. Managing a 10 Band EQ isnt an instinct we're born with, but on the other hand it's not Rocket science. I'm not asking anything simpler for such an eq pedal. // 10

Sound: I'm running this MXR through my Engl's FX loop along with my ESP Ltd loaded with EMGs. My main use for it is boosting the mids for when it is appropriate. With ten bands, the tweakablitiy is very versatile indeed. I've tried it in conjunction with small SS amps and the cutting/boosting seemed quite tame, however with the Engl, it satisfies immensely. This pedal runs off an 18V powersupply (which is included) giving it extra headroom, a very neat feature. The sound, although this pedal I believe is not true, but hardwired bypass, does not detoriate and it performs very well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal seems very well constructed, I believe, they use a hardened zinc alloy. The sliders glow a nice red making it very easy to check what's going on in any lighting circumstance. The white paint is also fluorescent, a nice touch. This pedal does not take batteries, since it is runs on 18v, I suppose it would cost a fortune to run off the powersupply otherwise. // 10

Overall Impression: I bought this gorgeous pedal on a whim and it has delivered exactly what I was looking for. It has proved very versatile in eq-ing various tones I use mostly for verious heavy metal styles. After using many boss-style footswitches, this was something new, but I soon grew to like the clickety Switch which seems durable enough. If it were to get lost, I would certainly proceede to acquire an other one. I think it's time to check out a few other MXR products! // 10

More MXR reviews rating category latest review
+ M-115 Distortion III 9.3 Guitar Effects 12/10/2014