M-102 Dyna Comp Review

8.8
reviews (3) pictures (2) 16 comments vote for this gear:
M-102 Dyna Comp Reviewed by: eatfresh1736, on april 14, 2009

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Ease of Use: Two dials and an on/off stomp Switch. You tell me if that's easy to use. Alright, I'll tell you. It doesn't need a manual or tutorial. You set the output level, which is the compression threshhold, and then you set the sensitivity. It's easy to figure out some good setups. // 10

Sound: I use it with my strat, mainly for clean or bluesy sounds, or my Jackson Kelly, for thrash and legato soloing. With my strat, I set the output relatively high, and the sensitivity at max. It comes out as a smooth jazzy sound, where the notes seem to blend together without choppy picking sounds getting thrown in. When I use my Jackson (for soloing), I set the output at mid and the sens. At 3 o'clock. You get the same distortion, but with a smoother flow and longer sustain. I play a lot of Metallica, and I use it to get some of their post-Black Album smooth leads, as opposed to their earlier raw tones (which are also good, but not from using a compressor). Turn the sens. Up even higher, and it makes legato (like tapping and scale runs) feel like the most natural thing in the world. You get some feedbacking when you turn it up too high. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's MXR. It's built like a bomb shelter. You can feel safe to dance on it on stage. I almost always use a 9V adaptor, so I don't know how long the battery life is. I would definately use it anywhere. You just gotta know when to use it, and when not. Since it's only two dials, it's easy to remember or write down your favorite configurations. // 10

Overall Impression: I have a Line 6 Spider III 75W, so my setup is simple: Wah->Dyna Comp->Amp. I've had this for a few months already, and it's awesome. Some compressors have an "Attack" and/or "Sustain" dial, but you can acheive basically the same thing with this ("Attack is an extra feature, it's not necessary for compression.)I've heard that the Keeley Compressor is the best one in the market, but that costs over 200 bucks, so $70-$80 for this pedal is pretty fair. Keep in mind that it is not an effect pedal - it's a compressor. It's great, and sometimes necessary, especially when recording, but if you don't know what it does, you should go to wikipedia before buying one. // 9

M-102 Dyna Comp Reviewed by: eteam_sammy4him, on may 28, 2009

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Ease of Use: This pedal is a wonderful example of MXR standards and powerful analog pedals. Immediately out of the box, this pedal is extremely simple to use. I only read the instruction manual for the heck of it on the ride home. The manual is very simple and explanatory. Two knobs, one on/off Switch. Finding a good sound is very simple, depending on how much outout and sustain you need. // 9

Sound: I have been priveleged to run this through a Fender Jam 75 with a Squier Strat. The biggest issue I have found, as you will also find with other Comp/Sustainers, is the buzz. Not a slight buzz, but an armageddon buzz. This will definitely need a noise gate at the end of a chain to suppress this beast. The sensitivity knob, when cranked down, though, will prevent some of the buzz. The output knob gives a constant, well-balanced output level, and the trigger is very strong, and should withstand some very powerful stomps. // 10

Reliability & Durability: MXR compact pedals are definitely built like tanks. Without purposely intending to get inside this pedal, or a bulldozer, this pedal is made to withstand nuclear warfare. This would definitely be a pedal I would be confident with, and feel secure using without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I primarily play Alt rock to metal and find use everywhere for this pedal, especially on extended power chords where they are supposed to ring, thhe addes sustain is wonderful. I use this along with a Boss DS-1 and Boss ML-2 and it has become a primary staple to my sound. If it wsa stolen, I would definitely buy another. The only thing I really have against this pedal is that, due to its being analog, the sustain isn't as long as you would find on a digital Comp/Sus pedal. I will definitely be investing in a digital Comp/Sus to have the infinite capability to sustain chords. // 8

M-102 Dyna Comp Reviewed by: nitroguitarist, on march 23, 2010

Ease of Use: This pedal I one of the easiest pedals to use. It's incredibly easy to get a good sound. It's easy to manipulate since there's only two knobs. There's a small manual for it but no really need for it only to explain what the knobs output and sensitivity do. // 9

Sound: My current setup is an Ibanez rg (dimarzio pickups) through a crybaby to the Dyna Comp to my chorus ensemble to my Raven amp (which I plan to replace with a Fender blues deluxe). The Dyna Comp is very noisey when you have the output from the 12 o'clock postion clockwise. All of my pedals sound good. I can get a "Another brick in the wall" type solo sounds.When I click on my distortion it sounds great and I can tap without turning up the gain and get singing sustain. But the hiss gets so loud and annoying the way I have it. Because of the hissing sound it brings the rating down // 6

Reliability & Durability: It seems to be pretty well built. And I'v had this for almost a year and have never changed the battery and I left it plugged in over night maybe 4 times so the battery life on this thing is great. The reliability and durability of this thing seems pretty solid. // 9

Overall Impression: I play anything from (attempts) jazz to metal and it's a good match for all of them. I've already mentioned my rig and I've been playing for about 3 years over the years I've figured out a lot of things about pedals, guitars, and amps. If it were stolen I would definately replace it. // 8

More MXR reviews rating category latest review
+ M234 Analog Chorus 9.3 Guitar Effects 12/17/2013