M-107 Phase 100 Review

manufacturer: MXR date: 08/17/2012 category: Guitar Effects
MXR: M-107 Phase 100
If you're looking for a great sounding Phaser pedal without shelling out a ton of money, then the MXR Phase 100 is the pedal for you.
 Ease of Use: 8
 8.1
 8.5
 7.7
review (1) pictures (3) 2 comments vote for this gear:
M-107 Phase 100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 17, 2012

Ease of Use: When it comes to MXR Pedals, the phrase "Less is more" comes to mind. With only two knobs, one for speed and the other for phase intensity, the MXR Phase 100 provides easy use for first-timers using the brand. A step up from its little brother, the renouned Phase 90, more tone control options allow a greater variation of phasing for any type of music. Although, if you're one of those pedal junkies who needs to have as much control over the pedal's tone as possible, you might need to look elsewhere // 8

Sound: My golden rule with trying new effects pedals is to simply have it be the only pedal plugged in. Looking for a nice, chimey clean sound, I finally decided to plug into a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue with a Fender American Standard Strat, and dialed the settings to my liking. Starting off with the lowest intensity,(the knob all the way over to the right) and the speed at noon, I began to strum a couple chords, and a faint smile grew on my face. I was immediately welcomed by a rich, warm analog phase that my old digital Phaser would never be able to give me. Turning the speed all the way gave off a Leslie Speaker vibe without being too flubby. After jamming around with that setting, I started moving the intensity control over and was surprised at the broad spectrum of sounds I got. I then switched over to a Music Man JP7 BFR to try the pedal with a low B string. After playing some arpeggios and augmented Chord sequences, I realized that this pedal made all 7 strings ring out loud and proud. I then became curious and started experimenting with other pedals along with it. First used a Keeley modded Boss DS-1 Distortion, and then tried a MXR GT-OD Overdrive. The Phase 100 to me is really pedal friendly and works great with distortion and Overdrive pedals. Even more curious, I decided to try the pedal with extreme amounts of gain. With just the phaser, I used and ESP Horizon NT-II with EMG's into a Peavey 6534, only to find that the Phaser which I loved on lower gain settings, became lost in a sea of gain. Backing down the gain over halfway on the 6534, and plugging into a Gibson Les Paul Studio, the phase became more prevalent and I grew happy again at its warm analog sound. Overall the pedal sounds heavenly, but too much gain will drown it out. // 8

Reliability & Durability: MXR is a company that I can rely on not only for good sounding pedals, but their quality into each single one. I have some older MXR pedals, including a Phase 90 from the late 70's and they all still run like they're brand new pieces of equipment. There's no denying it - This pedal is a solid piece of gear // 10

Overall Impression: If you're looking for a great sounding Phaser pedal without shelling out a ton of money, then the MXR Phase 100 is the pedal for you, and this is coming from a guy who listens to a wide variety of music, from progressive to funk rock to extreme metal, and all in between. A few quick things about the effect, sounds heavenly on no gain to a crunch setting, but of you're looking to use this in extremely high gain situations, (which I couldn't imagine why someone would use a Phaser with high-gain) then you're outlook on this pedal will be different. Overall, MXR hit the nail on the head again and made another great pedal for all of us to enjoy. // 8

More MXR reviews rating category latest review
+ M-115 Distortion III 9.3 Guitar Effects 12/10/2014