M-108 10 Band EQ Review

manufacturer: MXR date: 05/05/2014 category: Guitar Effects
MXR: M-108 10 Band EQ
Very easy to use. Slide them up and down and you will hear the difference. Not much to it, I find myself resetting the controls once in a while to really get to know what it can do and what tone I can achieve. The manual has some presets that are ok, might be better used as a starting point but no rig setup is the same.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Ease of Use: 8.3
 9.1
 9.1
reviews (3) pictures (2) 13 comments vote for this gear:
M-108 10 Band EQ Reviewed by: occub, on february 06, 2009

Ease of Use: Very easy to use. Slide them up and down and you will hear the difference. Not much to it, I find myself resetting the controls once in a while to really get to know what it can do and what tone I can achieve. The manual has some presets that are ok, might be better used as a starting point but no rig setup is the same and it was helpful I guess. // 8

Sound: This pedal is a very good investment for not only those looking to fine tune their sound but those Who want to get the most out of their amp. I have it in the effects loop of my Mesa Boogie Single Recto and a Fender Frontman 15 (yes I said frontman) using a Epiphone Les Paul/Mexican Strat/Carlo Robelli semi hollow. This pedal can deliver all that your amp/speaker can offer frequency wise. In front of Recto I was not impressed, it didn't have the same clarity and Precision that was present in the effects loop. I want to note as well that I tried putting all my amp eq settings to "noon" and using the MXR to shape the tone but I found it limiting but that may be due to the active eq on the amp. It's best in my opinion to use it to sharpen and fine tune which it does. I used all the guitars on all channels of my amp and it delivers in all styles. The thing that most impressed me the most at first is what it did with my strat and Frontman. I plugged in the guitar and dialed in some very crisp and chimey cleans. I didn't expect much from the amp and never have but I was very impressed. First slider is the 31.25hz, doesn't do anything which for being such a low frequency makes sense with a guitar. 62.5hz and 125hz make the next two and I find them useful for taming boomy bass or for bringing some warmth to the tone if it's lacking. 500, 1K and 2K are the next three and these sliders are very touchy. You just have to nudge it to get a response in sound, I also find these three to be the most difficult to balance as I don't like to scoop my mids. 4K and 8K are sensitive as well and can add the teeth to your high gain or add the crispness to your cleans. I like these controls to sharpen the gain during recording. 16Khz is the second control that is not very useful like the 32.5hz. I mainly use it to cut out some fizz, if you don't have a presence control on your amp this control can be useful to you I would guess. If this control wasn't a part of the pedal I wouldn't be affected that much. Bottom line with this pedal is that it will help you get surgical with your sound and it will maximize the tonal range of your amp and speakers. I wouldn't buy it if you think it's going to turn a MG into a JCM but but you can use it on anything from a small practice amp to a 100 watt tube monster, it works very well with my bass guitar but I must say I'm not that picky about my bass tones. I'm a little worried that I wont be able to accept the tone from my amp without this pedal but I'll have to get over it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very sturdy enclosure, jack inputs are ok, nothing to be concerned about. Foot Switch gets a pass as well. Sliders are plastic, they're a little bit stiff to move and I like that, they stay in place and if you bump the next one over it wont move. The sliders are also close to the box and do not extend out too far so, if it were to flip over and dragged I don't think they would break off or be affected that much. LED's are pretty bright, should be able to see them on a dark stage if you're sober. There is foam around the sliders in the slots and it should keep out most dust and junk but if you're sweating over it during a gig the insulation might not be a sure bet. Haven't had it long enough or tested it out in trying conditions to give it a 10. // 9

Overall Impression: 12 db boost or cut. When engaged and disengaged I heard no noise or problems. A very good and durable pedal that can enhance any style. It does what it's supposed to do and I would buy another if it were stolen or lost. I would buy this over the 6 band because of the high frequency control and because of the volume/gain sliders. Anything with more sliders would be a little overkill in my opinion, it has just enough to keep you busy. Overall an excellent investment, if your a tone junky it will keep you busy and if you're a novice it will be beneficial to have to get a better understanding about different frequencies and what effect they have. // 10

M-108 10 Band EQ Reviewed by: Gab_Azz, on may 05, 2014

Price paid: € 151

Purchased from: Knights Music

Ease of Use: I cannot say it is easy to use, because having 12 different variables in the system it may take a while to get it in the right setting. But it is easy to understand what each setting is doing. I typically change slightly the setting each time a change the guitar or amplifier as I always use this pedal. Even though the manual of this pedal is short it is helpful as it gives you hints and directions how to use it. It also features 4 settings that can be used to start from.

As, previously mentioned this pedal cannot be supplied by a battery so it is not suitable to be used where there are no electrical socket outlets. Having a Power supply makes it comfortable as you do not require battery changes. You can place it on a pedal board and go for a gig already wired up from the garage without requiring to set up at the location of the performance. This is particularly useful when sharing a stage. You would be able to setup in a shorter time. // 9

Sound: The M-108 is not a pedal that will add a new sound to your setup. The purpose of using such pedal is to improve the sound of whatever you are using. This pedal features 10 frequency controls, a volume control, a gain control, a true bypass switch and everything is enclosed in a metal case.Each control is lit by an LED.

I like to place this pedal as the first pedal in the effects loop(between the pre-amp and the power amp), thus, it is after the distortion or overdrive while it is before any chorus, phaser, delay and reverb. I use this position so the Equaliser is used to smooth the sound of the overdrive/distortion for a clear sound. Placing it before any effects that produce repetition as they will not effect the sound of this pedal. To obtain the most out of this pedal, EQ from amplifiers or distortion pedals is best set at around 12 o'clock and these parameters are then fixed by the pedal.

The pedal is not noisy in general, but if the gain setting is increased, obviously the noise is amplified. This equaliser has a wide range of operation that it can be used also for bass guitars. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Enclosed in durable metal case and having a true bypass switch, it is a reliable and durable item. The downside of this pedal's maintenance is cleaning. The slide controls are particularly difficult to clean from dust and having 12 to clean it may take a while. Apart form that it never failed not even an LED. Unless you are using this pedal for a boost for lead playing (in my opinion is a waste of the pedal), you will switch it on before you start playing and switch it off as you stop. This makes it less likely to be damaged during playing by kicking it too hard or trashing it around. // 9

Overall Impression: This pedal is versatile and is suitable for most of the styles. I have played this item for about 5 years and it is the best pedal I have owned. It is the best pedal as I find it critical to get the right sound out of a guitar setup regardless of what is connected in the system. I use it with both solid state amps such as my Marshall and even with my Fender tube amp. Compared to other similar pedals, this has the most control as having 10 bands allows you to have a better control over the sound. Furthermore it's metal case construction and true bypass leaves little room for competition.

The downside of this pedal is that it required an 18V DC power supply. It comes with the transformer but if you are connecting it to a pedal supply unit, not all of them have an 18V connection. Furthermore, it cannot be supplied with batteries so you must make sure that you have a socket to connect it. I Overcame this problem by using a DC Brick (DCB10) that has three 18V connections. // 10

M-108 10 Band EQ Reviewed by: Stud_Muffin, on january 24, 2011

Purchased from: GAK Music

Ease of Use: From the moment I plugged the MXR 10 Band EQ, into the effect loop of my old Peavey Valveking 112, I realised that I had just made one of the wisest purchases, for my musical endeavers. A relatively simple design, with easy-to-operate, LED lit sliders (extremely useful for onstage) and a rugged exterior, set out in a user friendly fashion. This pedal, in essence, acts as an extension to your amps EQ, but boosting and cutting more frequencies than the EQ can handle, giving you more control of your tone. As a music technology student, I had a grasp of what control did what, from the start, but for those who don't know, the frequencies range from 31.25hz (low resonance of the speaker) right the way up to 16Khz (airy presemce on the top end), and anywhere in between. In addition to this, it also has a gain and volume slider, which helpfully flash, when the signal clips. The manual, however, wasn't particularly helpful, mostly promoting MXR/Dunlop pedals, and providing 4 relatively useless presents. With an EQ, finding the best settings for the room is half the fun/challenge, thus making presets a bit pointless, unless for just a starting point. It came with a specially designed 18v power supply, which makes it run at its optimum standard. // 8

Sound: I use it with a Fender MIM Telecaster, a Peavey Valeveking 112 and most recently, an Ibanez GIO (Because I need 22 frets for a Grade 8 piece, so my girlfriend lent me her axe), all with completely stock hardware. I use it mainly as an extension of the Valvekings relatively weak, and quirky EQ system, adding a lot of bass, and somewhat cutting 250hz and 4khz, which are the main 2 frequencies that annoy me with the amp; the muddiness and the fizzyness. One of the best things about the EQ pedal, is the true bypass, which means when bypassed, the pedal will not affect your tone in any way. This is especially useful when using the EQ to create an "radio effect", and the need to bypass, is very important. Add to this, nearly silent operation, and you have a very strong additiona to any pedalboard. I can use this to make a passable attempt at nearly any tone I have come across. No word of a lie, however bold a comment this may seem. Maybe not completely the same, seeing as my amp has an American voicing, but very close, nonetheless. This would need a knowledge of what each frequency does, and how that affects tone, and a good pair of ears, to hear what sound your looking for. Overall, a very logical pedal, and with such straightforward controls, its not hard to get nearly the exact sound you want, after a few hours of fiddling. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used this pedal, without backup, at several gigs since purchasing it. The LED sliders are getting a bit battered now, but thats probably just overuse. Still, despite the strength of the casing, the plastic sliders are a bit too flimsy for my liking. // 7

Overall Impression: I have used this pedal at Acoustic shows, adding a boost to my Acoustic guitars preamp, at pop punk gigs, with my old band, and generally for fooling around with, trying to learn songs by Dream Theatre and Periphery. All of which, it adds an excellent new dimension (or 10!) to my sound. Despite minor shortcomings, for example, a useless manuel and sliders that are prone to bending a bit, it is an excellent addition to any players arsenal, as either a filter pedal, volume boost or tone shaper. It is also among the few things I would suggest for a metal tone (High gain amp, Humbuckers, Noise Gate, Tubescreamer, and this pedal), but is so useful and versatile, theres no excuse not to at least give one a go, no matter what your style of music. Whether you need to tighten up your sound, and add crispness to your metal tone, or you dig that sterile-clean jazz tone, or even if you want to recreate such effects as "I Believe In a Thing Called Love" or any other filter effect, then this pedal is definately worth a look in. // 9

More MXR reviews rating category latest review
+ M-78 Custom Badass '78 Distortion 8.1 Guitar Effects 06/02/2014