M-109 6-Band EQ Review

9.5
reviews (3) pictures (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
M-109 6-Band EQ Reviewed by: Mitchell?, on july 01, 2009

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: This pedal is incredibly easy to use. It has one switch, and 6 sliders/faders. From left to right you have 100, 200, 400, 800, 1.6k, and 3.2k bands. This is the perfect range for the electric guitar, giving you enough control with 6 bands, but not too much to be unwieldy. // 10

Sound: This pedal really allows you to dial in your tone. I'm using it with a PRS SE Semi-hollow (mahogany body, 2 humbuckers) into a Vox AC15. The AC15 is bright and chimy, with a very Vintage British tone. If I want it warmer and fatter, I can do that. If I want more midrange bark, I can do that. This pedal is not only great to EQ my amp, it's great when I run it behind my Fulltone OCD to add more mids. The M-109 isn't noisy at all, even though I've heard that it's 10-band brother is. I haven't had any noise problems with it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is built like a rock. It's got a heavy-duty die-cast enclosure, that looks like it's been powder-coated black. It's not a light pedal, even though it's pretty small. I would rely on this pedal to gig without a backup for sure, although it's so handy, you might buy a second one anyway. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I'm impressed. I've always heard two main opinions about EQ's on a pedalboard. 1) It's wonderful, allows you to dial in your tone; or 2) It's useless, waste of money. After messing around with this pedal, I've realized that this EQ can tune in your rig to perfection, to make it versatile as it can be. I play everything from Miles Davis to Slayer, and this pedal will help me get whatever tone I need. If it was stolen or lost, I'd have to get another one, it's just too handy. I leave it on all the time when I play now. // 10

M-109 6-Band EQ Reviewed by: The Real Ming, on december 10, 2009

Ease of Use: Very easy to use. If you are inexperience with EQ pedals. A quick read of the manual, will set you in the right direction. One switch for on/off. 6 sliders, each assigned it's own frequency. I'm not going to list the frequencies they are, but they work like this. From left to right. The first two are for the lower frequencies. The middle two work the mids and the last two adjust the treble. Gives you enough contol without going overboard. // 9

Sound: First thing I noticed was how quiet this pedal is. As far a background/white noise is. Quiet with, both, a battery and an adapter. By taking your time, you hone in on basically any tone that you want. 6 bands doesn't seem like much, but you can get a lot out of those 6 bands. Amps that I have used it with so far are my, AC15, TopHat Club Royale, '59 Bassman RI and Champion 600. Guitars that I've used it with are a LP jr and Strat. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Like all MXR pedals, this one is built like a brick. However, with electronics, you never know. If it is an essential part of your sound. I would have a backup. I never used them, but I'm guessing MXR's customer service is alright. As long as you fill out your warrenty card and keep your receipt. I don't see any reason why fixing, or replacing, the pedal would be a problem. // 9

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of rock, some blues and jazz. For the different types of rock, yes it is a great match. As far as jazz goes. Some of the lower wattage amps are too dirty for it. The MXR is helpful in cleaning up the signal. Making it a little bit more crisp. I like how small the enclosure is and that is is durable. I also like how the sliders have their own LEDs. Really helps in lower light situations. The only complaint is where the adapter jack is located. It is on the side of the pedal. I wish it was on the rear, or farside, of the pedal. If you have limited room and need to use an adapter. Be sure to have one with a right angle connecter. I own two other EQ pedals. They are a Boss GE-7 and an EHX Grapic Fuzz. The EHX is capable of being an EQ only. Comparing it with a Boss GE-7 and an EHX Graphic Fuzz, EQ only. The MXR sounds very natural. It feels and sounds like an extension of your amp's EQ. The two that I mention seem to "mask" or put a band-aid over your tone/signal. // 8

M-109 6-Band EQ Reviewed by: MetalSlvg, on august 31, 2012

Purchased from: Second Hand

Ease of Use: Using an EQ pedal comes as second nature to most guitarists, you will know if your sounds needs to boost or cut highs or lows. The good thing about this EQ is that it's compact and doesn't take up much pedal board space but still provides an essential component to your rig. As with any EQ, you will need to play around to get the best settings. That doesn't deserve any points lost so a 10 is an accurate rating. // 10

Sound: I don't get any unwanted noise from my pedal, and it's in a daisy chain with 2 others. I place the EQ after my Overdrive because on higher Drive settings the signal can become compressed and the EQ brings it back to life. When you know what frequencies you like to boost, and which you cut, you can adjust all of them equally higher or lower for a volume boost or cut, respectively. Some EQ pedals have an overall level out, but it's not needed. This is one pedal, like my noise gate, that is always on. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I bought this second hand, but I wouldn't have expected any better quality if I had purchased it new. It feels solid and the foot switch is sturdy. Some people might find the location of the 9v power annoying as it's on the side of the pedal so you will want to have right angle power adapter. I also have an MXR Smart Gate and the power socket is next to it, so I am able to tidy up cables easily so the annoying location of the power is negated. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this pedal and I won't need to buy a replacement unless this one goes missing. I think it is better than the MXR 10-Band because it can be powered by 9v instead of the higher voltage needed by the 10-Band. If you intend on playing in a band, this pedal is a must because you can cut the bass from your signal to compliment the bassist. Sometimes less is more! // 10

More MXR reviews rating category latest review
+ M-78 Custom Badass '78 Distortion 8.1 Guitar Effects 06/02/2014