M-116 Fullbore Metal Review

manufacturer: MXR date: 01/29/2013 category: Guitar Effects
MXR: M-116 Fullbore Metal
The MXR M-116 Fullbore Metal has many features but only one goal, to create to most punishing distortion know to man and pack it into a small bulletproof case.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Ease of Use: 8.3
 8.2
 8.5
 7.9
reviews (12) pictures (3) 44 comments vote for this gear:
M-116 Fullbore Metal Reviewed by: Riffofthebeast, on january 07, 2010

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easiy to get a good sound out of it. The instructions manual it came with is detailed and shows a diagram of everything the pedal has and how it all works and how to use it all. The manual is also easy to understand. I think it is easy enough to use for almost anyone to use it. Nothing about it is really complicated at all. This pedal features a 3 band EQ, a volume knob, frequency knob, and gain knob, a noise gate, and scoop. // 8

Sound: I am currently using my Line 6 Spider ii (75 watt) amp with this although I have used it on several other amps including a 15 watt practice amp. I really am impressed with how well this pedal can make amps sound. When I tired it on the 15 watt practice amp you really couldnt tell I was using that amp and it made the amp sound so much more badass. On the Line 6 the amp, it already has good distortion but it adds a little more bulk to the sound when you are running it through a distorted chanel. This pedal can make any amp sound great. Everthing about this pedal is just amazing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this pedal. I would definitly use it on a gig without a backup. It has a metal exterior and is built like a tank. I am confident that you could throw this distortion pedal at a brick wall and it would still be in tact. This pedal seems almost indestructable. Almost everything MXR builds will last a long time and this pedal is no exeption. // 10

Overall Impression: I play lots of metal music and this pedal is a perfect match. I have been playing for over a year and I have tried several types of pedals and this one is my favorite. If it were stolen or lost I would without a doubt buy this product again. I love everything about it and my favorite feature is the built in noise-gate. This pedal really isnt missing anything on it and MXR did an amazing job making it. // 10

M-116 Fullbore Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2010

Price paid: C$ 110

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Ease of Use: Although this pedal has 6 knobs, it is easy to get a good sound out of it. It's pretty intuitive. You just need to experiment with it for 3 minutes. The most important knob is the "Freq" knob. Use this in conjunction with your "Mid" knob to get a good sound. The manual for this product is pretty straight forward. It tells you what the knobs and buttons do, how to access and modify the noise gate and gives a list of different "ideal" presets if you have humbucking or single coil pickups. // 10

Sound: I play a LTD FM-100 into the MXR Fullbore Metal then into a Randall RG75D G3 Plus. This pedal is practically noiseless up until the very highest gain settings. The pedal gives a really tight bottom end and with its high gain settings, your picking nuances still shine through. The noise gate is very helpful. It's actually pretty decent. You can control its cutoff level from inside the pedal. The "scoop" button makes the sound razor sharp by boosting the low and high frequencies. You can still control overall EQ when in "scoop" mode. At the lowest gain settings, you still get a nice thick crunch. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The plastic buttons for the "gate" and the "scoop" worry me a bit. Other than that, I know the pedal will stay together. It's made of steel. I haven't had the pedal long enough to decide whether or not I would need a backup but from first impressions I would say no. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock and metal. This pedal suits my styles perfectly. If I lost it, I'd save up for another one because of it's great sound. I love the tonal varieties you can get out of this pedal, and the noise gate is awesome too. I don't care much for the "scoop" mode. I hate how the adapter input is on the side of the pedal because it's difficult to get a daisy chain to reach it on a pedal board. This pedal has several advantages in comparison with the Boss MT2 metal zone pedal: 1)True bypass, 2)Noise Gate, 3)Better tonality, 4)Smaller size. If you play metal, get this pedal. You wont regret it. // 10

M-116 Fullbore Metal Reviewed by: vtypeslaughter, on january 29, 2013

Purchased from: JB Music (Philippines)

Ease of Use: This is a small pedal packed with BEASTLY features, like Volume knob, Mid Frequency knob, Gain knob, and 3-band EQ with bass knob, mid knob and treble knob, which are very organized and noob friendly unlike something metal pedal from a known brand which is not really easy to manage by some newbies. Anyways, going back to the pedal, the control knobs brings drastic change in tone with a little turn, especially the gain and treble knobs, you can get some neat Pantera-esque tones with the gain up to 12 or 1:00 and the treble up to 9 or 10:00 then engage the noise gate button for some clean killer and brutal riffage, roll them back to 10(gain)or 8 or 7:00 (treble) then engage the mid scoop button, and you'll get the orgasmic 80's thrash metal tone, ala Metallica, Testament, Anthrax and D.R.I., old school men. Roll the gain back to 9:00 and you'll get some tones perfect for some alternatives like Seether, Staind, etc. I can also get Slayer's tone in "South Of Heaven", and some Soulfly and Chimaira and Deftones and Hatebreed when I'm on drop C, it's really up to you on how you're gonna turn knobs on this thing to get your tone, this is a pedal packed with different boutique amps, meaning it is very versatile and very customizable, so that's a 9 for versatility and ease of control. You won't to create patches and blah, blah, blah, just turn the knobs and find your tone. // 9

Sound: Your creativity with the knobs and your ears will be your friend on this one, with little turn on the knobs, you will notice a huge change in the tone, meaning the pedal is versatile and the tone shaping ability is excellent. Its really up to the owner on how he will get his sig tone, as for me I have my volume knob to 10 or 12:00, mid frequency on 3:00 and the gain on just 10 or 11:00 bass is on 1 or 2:00, and mid 80-100%, and treble is 7 or 8:00, there I have my master of puppets-esque tone, I'm using it with a Jackson JS32T Rhoads with Tesla VR-Extreme on the bridge, connected through my Roland Cube 40XL with a little reverb and delay, the tone is really close to the original Mesa Boogie used by papa-het on puppets, it got so much punch and low-end too. I just don't know how it sounds on a tube amp because I had this thing with tube amps but it sounds good on my friends Randall Dime sig solid state with my same settings. This pedal will totally blow you with the right configuration specially with the solid state amps, I'm seeing some reviews about it being not good on tube amps, unconfirmed, so for me, bottom line, I'm happy with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The casing of this pedal is, I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) made of light steel, aluminum maybe, who cares, it's built like a battle tank, its so hard that you can throw it at someone's windshield, the windshield is broken but the pedal is still alive, that's how hard it is. I just had this pedal for roughly just a month and I think it will last for a really long time just like any other MXR pedals that I have, the only thing I was worried about is the steel casing, I wonder if it will get rust after a long time. I hope it won't. I don't think I'll be needing a backup if I gig with this one, it's hard as a tank so it's really durable, you can rely on it like you can plug it straight and jam right away, I'll give it a nine because that's just me. // 9

Overall Impression: I mainly play classic thrash metal, Metallica, Slayer, Sepultura, Anthrax etc., I also play some modern stuffs from Soulfly, Deftones, Chimaira, Immortal, Dimmu Borgir, Hatebreed, and more and more metal tracks from my own band, and this pedal serves its purpose, I'm not sad for throwing some 6,000 PHP for it, it's really worth the money. I'm playing for over 4 years now and I still do, especially the palm mute stuffs, I own a practice amp, Roland Cube 40XL, a black JS32T Rhoads and a custom white w/ black bevels Phil Demmel PDX guitar with EMG 81 on the bridge and no pickups at the neck (customized), and t.sunburst Fender American Special Telecaster all stock, and countless MXR peds. I just wish I had an ESP Explorer before I bought this pedal so that it'll be more thrash, or maybe its just me. If someone stole this from me, I'll find that SOB and butcher him to death, cut his head and feed it to the crocodiles, throw his intestines in the lion's den and keep the remains of his skeleton and display it in my room. My favorite is it's noise gate feature, it's not much of course, but at least you can use it whenever you need to. I also love its mid scoop feature, if not with this, I will need to buy an extra 10-band eq pedal for use with my MXR 6 Band pedal just to shape my tone. Actually I came to the local music store to get the ML-2 from Boss, the guys there told me they no more stock, I was about to leave when they told me about this beautiful lady, I fell in love with her at the first sight, I didn't know there was a pedal like this from MXR, when I plugged to the amp and she sang, I took it without any second thought, I was blown away with this pedal really. And I'm not half disappointed, I can get that tone which I wanted from ML-2 and ST-2 without needing to buy a 10band eq. Lastly, I just wish it have some more lights, uhm... You know, just to have something bright and colorful to see while you turn your knobs. // 10

M-116 Fullbore Metal Reviewed by: connorhxcchaos, on october 07, 2010

Price paid: A$ 120

Purchased from: Ebay - Jax Music Supply

Ease of Use: Pretty basic pedal. Volume, Frequency, Gain, Lo, Mid, Hi. Also has a noise gate button and a mid-boost button. Adjust these to your liking and you can get some Killer metal tones. Ranges from classic metal such as Pantera to newer genres such as Deathcore with just a few changes. // 9

Sound: I'm usually just using this at home through a Marshall MG15CDR for practicing alone. Its amazing how much gain this has while still maintaining clarity through such a small practice amp. Not noisy at all, the noise gate works perfectly and can be edited to how much you want cut off just by tightening a screw. Main influences would be The Black Dahlia Murder, Dethklok, Thy ART Is Murder, The Red Shore. This pedal can easily achieve these tones. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It seems very solid and looks as if it would easily hold up for gigging. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and most subgenres of metal. This pedal is very suited to every type of metal really, mainly focusing on more modern metal music. I have been playing about 7 years now, as mentioned before I'm going through a Marshall practice amp. I have also put it through my crate/krank half stack and it sounds pretty good, a little more noisy but that is expected at higher volumes. If it were lost/stolen, I would buy another one immediately. The noise gate and the mid boost are both very handy features, its like getting two pedals in one! Only downside that I can see really is the way the 9V adapter plug is on the side next to the input, I would much rather it on top so the leads wouldn't get tangled. Apart from that, great pedal. // 9

M-116 Fullbore Metal Reviewed by: maiden03, on december 17, 2010

Ease of Use: The pedal itself was extremely easy to use. Features Volume, Frequency, Gain, Low, Mid and High knobs. And with a noise gate and scoop button. Through certain amps, it sounded pretty damn good, and through my Line 6 Pod GX, it was just as good as other amps. Apart from my own amp. At the store, I ran through a Marshall Lead 2000 if I remember correctly. I found a good tone in literally 30 seconds. At home, through my Randall RM100, I spend 2 hours looking for a nice sound, and I got nothing. It was tinny, extremely high, even with the lows boosted. That didn't change till I hit the scoop button. It didn't make the sound any better though. I tried the settings offered in the manual, and they were worse than my attempts. I tried variations of the manual defaults, that didn't turn out too well either. Though the manual is pretty descriptive, but there isn't much to a pedal, that has what each knob does written on the pedal itself. Ease of use: 10, its an analogue pedal, not hard to use. Getting a sound: 4, it was impossible through my amp. I ran it through the clean channel on my amp, and tweaked my amp settings too, still ended up with a rubbish sound. Manual: 7, was a standard manual, while I didn't try out the offered settings in the shop, I tried them through my Pod, and they were medium to ok. I can get the exact same tone using pedals and amps given to me on Pod Farm. Overall, a 5, given its extremely easy to use, just sounded rubbish. // 5

Sound: Myself, I use an ESP Horizon FR-II with Seymour Duncan passive pickups or a LTD M-207 (7-string), running into a Randall RM100 Head with Randall RA-412XC cab. And well, how can I put it? It sounded absolutely vile. It sounded no better than my broken Fender 15 watt amp. Like I said in the above, I tried it in the store, it was fairly good. Same through my Pod, though, I can get the same sound using the effects and amps offered in Pod Farm. wasn't noisy one bit. And that was me cranking my volume too. So the noise gate seemed pretty useless, seeing as I barely got any fuzz from the pedal. Though, I suppose the noise gate is there if the slight buzz annoyed you a bit. As a distortion pedal, its not meant to do much else but add more distortion. But it had little to no variation. Now, I'm not a huge fan of the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, but even that had more variation than this pedal. You can get the coolest sounding AC/DC, classic rock sound out of the MT-2. What does the Fullbore Metal offer? Just straight out metal tone. And I guess thats what you would use it for. But honestly, it doesn't even do that job well. I got a really, really nice thrash tone, and then a Black Metal tone in the store. At home, i got a really, really close tone to the guitars heard in extremely bad quality demos. I despise this pedal so much. I'd much rather use the distortion my amp offers. It's a distortion pedal, what else is it going to do? But like I've said before, it just sounded terrible. Through my amp: 0, I tried both guitars, my ESP is a really nice guitar, sounds good almost all the time, until I put it through this pedal. I then used my 7 string. It handled the lows, and didn't sound muddy, it just didn't sound good. Store amp: 8, was so nice. Very distinct tones. Pod Farm: 8, same as the store, but i can make the same tones. Noise Levels: 8, meaning it was good. Wasnt noisy at all. Effect: 2, it was a poor excuse for a distortion pedal. Sound: 1, extremely tinny, and sounded more like a fuzz pedal more than a distortion pedal. Overall sound, 3, only because I could get a good tone through the Marshall and my Pod. // 3

Reliability & Durability: It looks incredibly sturdy and strong. Its made out of metal, and looked like it can take a huge beating. Too bad I'm not going to have it long enough to see how strong it is, and how long it will last, cause I'm returning it tomorrow, after buying it yesterday. I could probably gig with it too without a backup, has a 9 volt DC input, and assuming nothing happens between the power supply and pedal, it would go great. Ill give it a 7, I'd go higher, but I can't comment much cause I haven't had it very long, and I don't know if it would give way in future, it doesn't look like it would though. // 7

Overall Impression: I touch on pretty much every genre but black/death metal, and I don't play jazz, though i would like to. I did buy the pedal cause it sounded great in the store, and it would give me another channel of distortion in my amp to some extent, as I wish I bought a 4 channel amp now that I've realized I do need another channel, unless I want to drop the gain on my Overdrive channel. But it just didn't sound good one bit. I wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends, or other guitarists. I've been playing nearly 3 years, and I've heard my fair share of bad tones, but this is nearing the top of them. Like I stated, I have an ESP Horizon FR-II with SD passives, a LTD M-207 (7-string) with SD passives also. And i have my Randall RM100 head and cab. Or I can run through my Pod into my computer for recording. I only wished they had my amp to try it through, so I didn't waste time and money on it. Though I will get my full refund on it. So really, I just wasted time. Wouldn't get it again, I'd consider looking into the Blackstar Gus G signature pedal over this one. I don't love anything, I hate this pedal. Probably, my favorite feature would just be the look of it, its very plain, but just looks good. I've compared it to the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, and the Boss beats it, and I hate the sound the Boss gets. I would choose the Boss, purely cause of that classic rock tone I can get. I wish I didn't have it. // 1

M-116 Fullbore Metal Reviewed by: jreikes, on january 12, 2011

Ease of Use: There are a lot of knobs, but it's actually pretty easy to use and straightforward. There's a Switch for the mid scoop and one for the noise gate. The lower three knobs are an EQ (bass, mid, treble) and the top three are volume, gain, and the frequency center of the mid adjustment. Even on the lowest gain setting, it's still too heavy for some types of metal. Also, the mid scoop Switch might be a bit too extreme. I preferred just backing off with the mid control knob and leaving the mid scoop Switch off. // 9

Sound: Well, it's definitely metal. You need to use it on a CLEAN setting with your amp or it will just sound like mud. Once you do that, you can get a pretty good Metallica sound rather easily. I say pretty good because it definitely sounds a bit unnatural, but it's not bad. The problem though is the need to run the amp clean with it. With my 100 watt Marshall and the master volume on the amp at 10, I can't get enough volume to compete with my drummer unless I start to bring the gain up a bit. But if I take the gain past about 3, I start to get distortion from the amp and it's not a good mix with the pedal. So the pedal really only works if you're planning to play at home by yourself in your bedroom. Unfortunately, that means I'm boxing it up to return it right now and have to give it a low rating here. // 3

Reliability & Durability: One of the knobs on mine came apart on the first day. There's an inner sleeve on the knob that separated from the outer sleeve. It only took a drop of super glue to get it back together, but that's not the best sign of durability. Other than that, I can't really say as I've only had it a couple days and am now sending it back. // 6

Overall Impression: I play a lot of different types of music. I definitely have a thing for 80s hair metal, but this is NOT the pedal for that. I do cover a few Metallica songs though and I wanted a way to quickly Switch between a full metal setting and a clean setting (e.g., for the changeover in Master of Puppets at the 3:32 point in the song). My amp is a single channel deal, so changing between metal and clean usually takes stomping on a few pedals and turning a few knobs. This potentially could have fixed that for me, but in the end it doesn't play nicely enough with the amp's natural distortion, so it forced me to keep the volume too low to play with a live drummer. As a result, it's heading home. I should note that I did like the noise gate function. I have an ISP Decimator G String and love it. But the ISP unit's main selling point - that it's pretty transparent in operation - makes it not quite "noise gate-y" enough for metal. So the gate on this pedal was a nice feature. // 5

M-116 Fullbore Metal Reviewed by: american eulogy, on january 31, 2011

Ease of Use: The M-116 is pretty easy to use and takes very little time to get an amazing sound out of it. I never read the manual, I just started twisting knobs, and I had it dialed in after about 10 minutes on my pos Fender SP-10. My Line 6 Spider IV, was a completely different story. I've had the pedal since Christmas, and I just got the Killer tone I was looking for to come out of my Spider IV. It was worth the work though. // 7

Sound: Right now I'm running my ESP Ltd F-50 to my M-116 and then through a Fender Vintage Volume pedal to my 15 watt Line 6 Spider IV, and I had a lot of trouble getting the tone dialed in on it, but now its exactly what I wanted. Its not very noisy unless you have the noise gate turned off. I was able to get a great Avenged Sevenfold tone out of this pedal once I figured out the right settings on my amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Even though I've only had the M-116 for a month, I've already managed to bash it into a couple walls and doors, and it had absolutely no effect on the pedal. The thing's made out of what I think is 1/8" solid steel, and it is extremely rugged. The only thing that I would want for it during a gig would be spare batteries in case the ones that're in it right now die. Which reminds me, this thing eats 9v batteries like nothing else, so you're better off just getting the power adapter. // 8

Overall Impression: I mostly play heavy metal, thrash, and speed metal, so this was the perfect pedal for me. When I first saw it in my Musician's Friend catalog, I thought I actually heard a choir of angels singing somewhere distant, I'm not kidding! This thing is amazing for all types of metal players! I've been playing electric for about a year and a half and this is the sound I've been looking for during that year and a half. If my M-116 was stolen, I would track down whoever stole it, beat them with a bat, and take my pedal back. Or just buy another one. There really isn't anything that I think this pedal needs. The best thing about it would be how much you can customize your sound on it. You've got a bass knob, mid knob, treble knob, master volume, gain knob, mid frequency knob(adjusts what frequencies the mid knob affects), and you've got a noise gate button and a scoop button. A bad thing is I haven't been able to get a good tone out of it with the Scoop activated. // 10

M-116 Fullbore Metal Reviewed by: eraticator, on may 06, 2011

Purchased from: craigslist

Ease of Use: This pedal takes a little tweaking, mainly because you need to get it to sound the way you want along with the tweaks to your amp rig. If you use more pedals with it, there will be more tweaks. My tube amp is not very pedal friendly, unless it's a mild overdrive, or delay, wah, flanger type, so I use a solid state on clean with this effects pedal. I did not get a manual with mine, but I may grab the online version, just to see if there are any more tricks to this beast. // 7

Sound: The great thing about this unit is that it will take a weak sounding single coil guitar or a fire breathing hellbucker guitar and make them each sound like a colossal metal battle! True that this thing is a one trick pony, but that trick is METAL, and it delivers in a huge way. Now the debate will go on forever about the sub genre metal styles and character, and their corresponding sounds. Do not think that you will get some warm, organic sounding british 80s metal thing happening with this box. It is for the steely, high gain, high bite, scooped out middle with a tight, punchy bottom, especially if your amp can take it. If you wanna rattle on about how your tone comes through with the Fullbore stompbox, just skip this thing altogether. This is mot a tone machine, nor a tone enhancement pedal. Your tone will be utterly and completely destroyed with this monster. Get it if you like the grinding metal type sound, and a shizzload of gain. I play through this thing mainly with an early 90s Jackson Dinky with J-30s in it, but I have run a 59 strat, a Squier MIK strat, Les Pauls, and some oddball stuff through this pedal and had them all sound badass. For effects like distortion I use a "blank canvas" style amp - a Raven RG20 solid state with a 12" driver. For a gig tho, you may want something ballsier (I just rock my basement with this one, my main amp is a Blackheart fullstack, but it sounds crappy with this type of pedal). // 10

Reliability & Durability: MXR pedals are pretty decent for holding up well to repeated beatings, good quality and great effects. This one is no exception. I would say it is the best MXR I have owned yet, the Dyna Comp is a pretty serious box too. Made of metal, and already kind of roughed up looking, you can't go wrong with this pedal, if it stops working, you could use it as some sort of weapon, it's that sturdy. // 10

Overall Impression: Been playing electric for a little over 30 years, I play mainly metal, grindcore, death metal, Nu metal and alot of European metal, this is the sound I was looking for. Metal muff was a close second, but had more of an organic sound. My main metal pedal was peviously a Boss MT-2 with the Diezel mod, but that is being repaired and I needed another crazy high gain pedal. I would say these two are pretty close, but the Fullbore has a grittier edge to it. // 10

M-116 Fullbore Metal Reviewed by: ElementSkater1, on june 07, 2011

Ease of Use: Getting a good sound out of this pedal is very simple. The array of knobs and buttons are very thorough. Each button and knob change the pedal's tone. The manual is very good for it, it states everything you need to know. My pedal has not been modded, I didn't see a need for it. // 10

Sound: I run this pedal through an ESP MH-103QM, (Wildepickups L-500XL humbucker in the bridge) and my amp is a Peavey Valveking 112. It is not noisy even at the highest amp volume. The most valueable feature is definately the noise gate. Listen up people, I didn't buy this as my only distortion pedal, I specifically bought this for playing metal. So if you aren't using it for that, don't complain. This pedal can get me the best Pantera sound. Plus it does fine with anything else. The distortion is killer, and it's nothing less of spectaculer. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is made out of a metal box, how could I break that when I'm on stage? I even use a power supply, so there isn't really a need for a backup. Very dependable pedal, no loose parts at all. When performing under NORMAL circumstances, I don't see myself being able to destroy it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is were people start fighting. I play METAL, if I am not playing METAL I use my BOSS DS-1. For playing 3 years, I have always tried to get a good Pantera sound, and this does it well. Is someone stole it, I'd probably kick his balls into his pelvic cavity. Money don't grow on trees, and I ain't rich. I'd probably TAKE it back. I love the noise gate. It keeps the idle chatter down to a minimum, hardly noticable. I didn't campare, because I didn't have too. I wish it had a boost button, that'd be nice. // 9

M-116 Fullbore Metal Reviewed by: ne14t, on june 09, 2011

Price paid: C$ 100

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Ease of Use: The M-116 is a fairly simple pedal to use; however its not one of the easiest. Each one of the knobs can dramatically change the tone from the pedal. You will need to spend some time finding a tone that suits you, it took me three days to get mine setup to the tone that I really liked. The Freq. Knob can really change the dynamics of your tone so this guy will be an important one on this pedal. The manual included with the pedal is great, it describes to you in the easiest means which each knob will do, and even provides some sample settings to try out. This is quite common with MXR products though. I am going to rate this section a 9/10 as I feel the difficulty of setting this pedal up is a little discouraging. // 9

Sound: I play a Gibson Explorer into a Marshall Haze 15W half stack with pure valve pedigree. The M-116 is the first pedal in my chain, the gate and scoop are always on. Is it Noisy? Hell Ya! Its noisy, but in oh so many good ways. As for bad noise, no the built in noise gate takes care of that great, to all those who said it didn't... Crack the back of the case and adjust the gate. I purchased the M-116 for one reason only, and that was to get the precious brutality of Dethklok, Brendan Small has this pedal in his very small arsenal of effects so for imitating that sound I needed it, yes I really did buy it for just one use. I rate this section a 10/10 the M-116 produces the exact sound I expected it to, nothing more and nothing less. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would wager my life on the durability of this pedal, its encased in a solid aluminum case probably 1/8" thick at least. When the nuclear apocalypse comes the only things that will survive will be cockroaches, amp tubes and the M-116! I would definitely gig with this pedal without a backup, provided you have a AC adapter for it, this pedal munches back batteries like they are cupcakes, I find it lasts a bit longer if you unplug the input. I would rate this section an 11/10 because seriously this pedal can probably be put in a sock and used as a deadly weapon, heck it kinda looks like one as is! // 10

Overall Impression: I play almost every genre of music, and I will say the M-116 is NOT a jack of all trades. MXR built this as a distortion pedal for metal and nothing else, I would say more of the modern metalcore or melodic death metal, if your looking to play pre 1990s metal DO NOT get this pedal you will just another one of those mad kids knocking a really good product because it didn't suit your needs... But that's not your fault. Look at Boss or EHX pedals for a more versatile distortion in this case. The fullbore is not for the faint of heart. I would definitely replace this pedal if I were to lose it or someone stole it, though if I caught them I would test out its ability as a weapon after cramming it into my sock. I guess I would have to love it because I can get the tone I was striving for when I play music I enjoy, but I probably hate it a bit because even though its awesome at what it does, it is a one trick pony. I didn't compare this pedal against anything because I bought it for one purpose and not a general purpose distortion pedal. I believe you should have two or three different distortion pedals, but of course that's not in everyones budget. If you need a distortion pedal for 1990 and up metal this guy will do the trick for sure. I rate this section a 9/10 only because the M-116 isnt very flexible and a second distortion pedal would be required to fully cover the entire genre of music. // 9

M-116 Fullbore Metal Reviewed by: Gabe_Esp, on september 13, 2011

Purchased from: Guitar center

Ease of Use: Its a little hard to get a good sound out of it, it takes a while, you don't really need a manual for it overall really easy to use. But it takes a while to get a good sound out of it. // 7

Sound: I purchased this pedal when I was playing for almost 3 years, because my DigiTech multi effects pedal was stolen. ( car got broken into) I had the pedal until recently, now that I have been playing for four and a half years and having it for a little more than a year, I played with it a ton and im gonna have to warn you it sounds like tin foil metal distortion ( the noise gate is nice though) This over priced pedal sounds worse than a Line 6 spider amp distortion. I mean this is by far the worse pedal iv'e ever used. I was never able to get a decent Death metal, metalcore, classic metal, black metal sounf out of it. The sounds are Mediocre and above average at best. The only reason I bought this pedal is because a guitar center employee Assured me that is the pedal he used and its sounds awesome. I now he doesn't know a good tone. If you want a Oversatured tone with foggy distortion, that you can crank it up when your amp is at 11, then this is your pedal. If your a tone freak that cares about his tone then I wouldn't even bother with this pedal. Just to tell you how bad this pedal is I got better tones for death metal from a used DigiTech Grunge pedal I bought for 25$. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Reliable? yes it is you could throw it against a brick wall as hard as you could multiple times and it still wouldn't break, my only complain is that the nobs need better glue they come off fairly easy. // 8

Overall Impression: This is more a pedal for guys who listen to suicide silence, Cannibal corpse, Black dahlia, whitechapel, And haven't been playing for that long and don't give a shit about tone and like your amp at 11. I wish I would have tried this more. I sold it soooo. The Gate is the best feature, it has good controls easy to use, what I hate is the sound. // 5

M-116 Fullbore Metal Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 19, 2012

Price paid: A$ 230

Purchased from: Actually 230 NZD from local store

Ease of Use: Takes a bit of work figuring out the scoop and mid frequency knobs, but it's a fairly intuitive pedal and once you get the hang of it (takes about 5 minutes) you're set for life! Comes with a nice booklet with preset tones so even with single-coils, you can give your gat some hair on it's balls. Gate can be adjusted if you screw open the back, and if you're so inclined, so can fiddle with the rest of it too, it's all open and easy to get into. // 10

Sound: Keep in mind that this is named a "fullbore METAL" pedal, and if you're using it for anything else, you're probably going to hate it. What it DOES do, it nail it's niche completely. This pedal will easily give you the best and most dynamic crushing distortion tone on the market, and cheaper than alternatives too. You're not going to get away with trying to play soft rock with it, but you'd have to be crazy to buy this for anything else! NOW, THIS MIGHT BE THE DECIDING FACTOR FOR YOU RIGHT HERE. People play this all the time in the shop and fall in love with the tone, take it home and it sounds like shit. Why? You are probably using a tube amp. This pedal doesn't like them and will sound tinny and terrible - To get the great tones outta this, you need to run it through bypass on a solid-state, or run it direct into your PA (I just run mine through a couple of 250watt Proels). Running it through a tube amp will almost always eat the tone, so beware! Noise gate is another orgasmic feature that allows razor sharp riffage to punch through your mix, and again, it's fully adjustable. I'm not going to downrate this for tone because of the tube thing, because it's due to user error. When used properly, this thing is just a perfect 10. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Do I really need to say anything about this? It's friggin' nuke proof. You could run it over with a tank! It's covered in a practically bulletproof metal case, feel free to use this as a bludgeoning weapon during a Zombie apocalypse because it'll crack skulls and never crack itself. There are only two problems really, the glow-in-the-dark plastic buttons controlling the gate and the scoop - But I've had this pedal for years with no issue so far, been pretty rough with it too. The other thing is you'll never want to play with batteries because it eats them. Buy the adapter. // 9

Overall Impression: I play technical death metal, progressive, "djent", and thrash mainly. This absolutely takes the cake and I sold the amp I had when I bought it, as it became redundant as I only play through PA now. I've been playing about 7 years now, and I'm a tone freak on a budget (otherwise fractal axe-fx all the way; D ) and I'm happy to take this to gigs and the studio. If I lost this, or it was stolen, I'd replace it without a second thought, unless I saw the guy nick it from under my foot at a gig, in which case, he's getting a headstock to the noggin! Seriously, for a bone-crushing metal distortion, just stick this right into your PA and crank it. If you're using tube, use a splitter and have a footswitch available to cut out the middleman and put this straight into your cab when switching to your filthy distortion channel! // 10

More MXR reviews rating category latest review
+ M-78 Custom Badass '78 Distortion 8.1 Guitar Effects 06/02/2014