M-148 Micro Chorus Review

9.3
 8.1
reviews (2) pictures (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
M-148 Micro Chorus Reviewed by: Goldtop11, on april 10, 2012

Ease of Use: One of the easiest pedals ever. One knob for the rate of the chorus effect and an on and off switch. It also has an LED and an AC out. It's the same idea as MXR's Phase 90. // 10

Sound: This is an incredible pedal. The chorus effect is very plush and musical. It provides a very full and lush chorus without washing out your original tone. What really got me excited about this pedal was actually how versatile it was! A cool little fact about this pedal is it actually does three different sounds. With the rate down all the way, you get a slow phase type effect. As you increase it the phase gets faster. Around 10 o'clock it turns more into a chorus. This ranges all the way from a slow watery chorus all the way up to a faster shimmer. At around 2 o'clock the pedal takes more of a leslie/vibe sound. The vibe sound is actually my favorite sound this little guy can produce. (Keep in mind that obviously a actual Phaser or Vibe pedal would sound better when judging it but those standards, but the sound is very close to those type of effects). My father owns a TC Electronic Chorus/Pitch Modulator/Flanger. I did an A/B comparison between the two and was blown away. The chorus from the MXR is right on par with the TC. Obviously with the TC there are more options, like depth and width, but the TC is also over $300. I find that the MXR takes care of all the swirly deep sounds that I want. The effect sounds great with clean and dirty channels. I have run humbuckers, P-90s and single coils through a Marshall Class 5, Laney VC-15 and Epiphone Valve Jr, and this pedal sounds great on all of them. The only "complaint" about this pedal someone would have would be the lack of adjustment. If you want more or less of the chorus sound, you're out of luck, since there's no way of adjusting that. This personally isn't a problem for me, I love the amount of effect, but I could see where a player that loves fine tweaking their sound (depth, treble, bass, intensity, etc...) would have a problem with the lack of controls on the pedal. But if you're worried about that you probably already passed up this pedal when you saw it had one knob, lol. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I could easily depend on this pedal without a backup. It's built incredibly solid and the knob, switch and jacks all seem sturdy. I gig regularly (once or twice a month) and I have owned several MXR pedals and have not had any of them break on me yet. MXR makes good stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal is simply amazing. It has so many sounds in it that it's crazy that it's all contained in such a small pedal and controlled with only one knob. This will be a permanent staple in my pedal line up. The only reason I gave this pedal a 9 in sound was the fact that it did not have any other controls to shape the chorus. Again, this is not at all a problem for me, but I know other players will not like this. Plus I know how you guys here at UG hate when people give stuff straight 10s). If you want a great solid chorus effect and aren't worried about all the bells and whistles then this pedal is definitely for you. // 10

M-148 Micro Chorus Reviewed by: MaggaraMarine, on march 29, 2012

Price paid: € 93

Purchased from: Levytukku

Ease of Use: This is a chorus pedal that means it adds a slightly detuned vibrating signal to your sound. So basically it sounds like there were two guitars playing the same thing. Even a complete idiot could use it because it has only one knob called "rate". It changes the speed of the chorus effect. I usually leave it at noon but if you want more like a Vibrato effect turn it all the way up. All the way down it sounds a bit like flanger and fits better metal ballads and clean parts. Also with distortion you might not want to get too much of vibrato. There's a manual but you don't need it. It just gives some examples of what settings you can use in which music styles. And I have to add that it's all analog. // 10

Sound: It makes my clean sound much cooler. If you put it in front of your amp, it's a bit noisy and it gets noisier when you turn the distortion on. In the FX loop there's no noise, not even on the distortion channel. My amp is Laney VC30 and my guitar is Charvel So Cal. I like playing 80s rock music (bands like Def Leppard, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Whitesnake...) and the pedal is almost a must-have for power ballads and other kind of rock cleans. There's one downside with this pedal and I don't know if it depends on my amp's FX loop, but I can notice a volume drop when I turn it on. That's why I run it in front of my amp. In other amps' effect loops I haven't noticed the volume drop so maybe it's just my amp. I compared this pedal to Ibanez CS9 and MXR Black Label chorus. This sounded warmer than Black Label and was simple enough for me to use. I think I could have found some good sounds with the Black Label but it was just too complicated for me with five controls. The Ibanez was very nice and maybe sounded a bit better than this but it cost 2x as much as this pedal and my maximum budget was a bit over 100. Compared to my RP355 chorus settings, this is much better. And much better than any built in chorus effects I have tried on modeling amps. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this pedal, it doesn't seem like it would break easily. It's made of metal. I have used both battery and 9V adapter to power it. It works with both but you must remember to change the battery before gig. Because the pedal is not 100% true bypass so when the battery life ends, there will be no sound coming out, even if it's switched off. So I recommend you to use it with the 9V adapter. I have played one gig with it in front of our music class (we played two songs). I don't think you would need a backup unless you are using this with batteries. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this pedal is great. It might not be that versatile but who needs four different chorus sounds? It can do flange and Vibrato kind of sounds depending on where you set the rate control. I bought this pedal because I didn't want to carry the big RP355 pedal with me only to use the chorus effect. If it were stolen/lost, I think I could buy it again. But I would maybe try something else for a change. Maybe the Marshall Supervibe or MXR Black Label that were pretty good. After buying this (my first individual pedal) I noticed how much better individual stompboxes are than multi FX processors or built in effects. I've been playing for about three years and my amp is Laney VC30 and guitar Charvel So Cal. As I said, I compared this to Ibanez CS9 and MXR Black Label chorus. In another guitar store I compared some chorus pedals like DigiTech Multi Chorus, Hardwire Chorus, Electro-Harmonix Nano Clone and Marshall Supervibe. Nano Clone sounded very thin, I didn't like it at all, the two DigiTechs were pretty nice but were too complicated. The Supervibe was pretty good and I was about to buy it but went to another guitar store where I found this chorus and decided to buy it. I like the pedal's simplicity and warm sound. There's nothing to dislike about this pedal but I wish it also had a level control. I think chorus pedal is a must-have for rock/metal and Grunge players for example. It fits almost any clean song, maybe not every blues or jazz song. If you like that kind of 80s clean sound, I recommend you to buy a chorus pedal and definitely check this pedal out. // 9

More MXR reviews rating category latest review
+ M234 Analog Chorus 9.3 Guitar Effects 12/17/2013