M-152 Micro Flanger Review

manufacturer: MXR date: 12/17/2013 category: Guitar Effects
MXR: M-152 Micro Flanger
The MXR Micro Flanger is what MXR has to offer the more casual user of flanger. Compared to more expensive pedals, this one is very straight to the point.
 Ease of Use: 8.5
 8.9
 7.8
reviews (2) pictures (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
M-152 Micro Flanger Reviewed by: BaptizedinFire, on august 14, 2012

Purchased from: MXR, directly through personal contact

Ease of Use: The MXR Micro Flanger is what MXR has to offer the more casual user of flanger, such as myself. Compared to more expensive pedals, this one is very straight to the point; Two knobs, one for rate and one for regeneration, are your only means of tweaking the sound of your pedal. Turning the rate knob clockwise will make the flange effect go "full circle" faster, and cranked up, it gets quite intense. The regen knob controls the more chorus-like qualities of the flanger, and turning it clockwise will give you a gradually richer sound. The manual is of MXR's usual standard, which means that it's small but straight to the point. It shouldn't leave you clueless, thus one can say it fulfills its purpose. // 8

Sound: I am using this pedal along with various guitars; most notably a Fender Stratocaster and a modified Hagstrom Swede, through a Vox AC30. To be completely honest, I feel that this pedal's performance depends to some degree on your other equipment. I absolutely love to enhance my Strat's clean sound with effects, and with that setting, the Micro Flanger certainly doesn't disappoint. However, I feel that it gets a bit muddy with the Hagstrom, especially if I add some distortion. Also, I find it hard to use this pedal in a subtle way. Even with both knobs turned all the way down, it tends to "take over". Another minor issue I have is that it raises my volume slightly, which is an issue I also have with my chorus pedal. Still, all these things considered, it will do the job for you if you're after a gritty, Van Halen-esque sound. // 6

Reliability & Durability: MXR's pedals are incredibly well-built, and they all feel very heavy-duty. The metal casing and the cool grey paint will remain unharmed if you're not deliberately trying to break it. I could certainly use this pedal on a gig without a back-up; and if it did break, I wouldn't worry. MXR has an amazing costumer service that has helped me a lot before. // 9

Overall Impression: On a scale of one to ten, I'm afraid I can't give the Micro Flanger more than a six (albeit a strong one at that). I play lots of different genres, from rock to Indie to metal, and the Micro Flanger has never struck me with that feeling of having found a truly amazing pedal. Sure, it gets the job done, and certainly not in a disappointing way. I frequently use the pedal with both knobs in quite a low position, as that is my preferred setting. But listening to all the songs famous for their flanged guitar sound, I find it hard to get as much pleasure listening to this pedal. My main reason for getting the Micro Flanger was that I had been given a very nice offer from a personal contact of mine, and I was in need of a flanger. And while I'm satisfied with this one for the moment, I'm not sure I would be if this particular effect would be important to me. I'm not going to get rid of it, as it does what I want it to do, but if someone stole it I would probably get another flanger with more options and tone clarity. // 6

M-152 Micro Flanger Reviewed by: JackSaints, on december 17, 2013

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: There are only two knobs on this pedal: Rate and Regen. The Regen deals with the chorusey side of the effect and the Rate effects the speed. Since you only have the two knobs, it's a simply case of twiddling them around to find the sound you want. Then you just stomp on the switch. So it's very straight to the point. There's also a manual included in case you need further help on working out how to use the pedal... But you're not likely to need it. So anyone could easily use this pedal straight out the box, even if they'd never used one before. // 9

Sound: The sound probably depends on the equipment you have available. I use a Jet City 100HDM amp and have to put it in front of the amp since the FX loop hates pedals - so when using distortion, this pedal can sound quite muddy at times. But on cleans, it's rich and wonderful. You can get some great super-spacey sounds from this pedal, but if you have it in front the amp like I do, there is no way at all for it to sound subtle, whether on cleans or using distortion. This can be either good or bad, depending on what sound you want. Also, this pedal boosts the volume when activated. For me, this is useful for cleans and solos. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This pedal has a strong sort of feel to it and I think you could easily throw this around without damaging it. It's probably my most used pedal and while I haven't gigged with it, I can stamp on it all day without any issues so you are unlikely to need a back-up. Since the case is so sturdy and strong, the insides of the pedal are more or less safe unless you intentionally try to damage them. You also get little cover thingies for the knobs, which I suppose counts as extra protection. The short of it is: unless you attack this with a large hammer or blowtorch, you won't damage it and it should last you a long time. // 9

Overall Impression: I have my equipment set up to have a sludgey sort of sound but I also use cleans a lot and like adding spacey effects to lead and clean playing. I absolutely love this pedal on cleans, but until I can put it in an FX loop, it doesn't quite work for me when using distortion - but of course, if I had a different amp this would be a different story. It would also be nice to have something with more knobs as it does feel a bit limited. If I lost this pedal, I would probably buy a different one to replace it - but I haven't tried out any other flangers so that would be why. But all in all, I do like this pedal a lot, mostly on cleans. I'd happily recommend it to a friend who wanted to add some flange to their sound. // 8

More MXR reviews rating category latest review
+ M-78 Custom Badass '78 Distortion 8.1 Guitar Effects 06/02/2014