M-169 Carbon Copy Analog Delay Review

reviews (4) pictures (3) 16 comments vote for this gear:
M-169 Carbon Copy Analog Delay Reviewed by: jc349, on june 26, 2009

Price paid: C$ 175

Purchased from: Long&McQuade

Ease of Use: This is a another pedal from MXR that delivers that sweet analog sound that guitarists love. The pedal has 3 knobs- Regen, Mix and Delay. The setup is very easy to get used to. Regen is the number of repeats, mix is the amount of signal (delay volume) and delay is the delay time. The pedal is very easy to click on and off. Unfortunately, the modulation swith is hard to reach and is unpressible with your foot. The blue LED light is obscenely bright, and in a dark room you won't be able to see your settings. I easily fixed the problem with a Sharpie. The pedal is small and compact; easy to transport and doesn't take up valuable space on the pedalboard. Overall, really easy to use, other than the modulation switch. // 8

Sound: This is a great delay for anyone Who is looking for a warm, analog, sound. The pedal can give you up to 600ms delay time, which is quite impressive for an analog delay. Overall the pedal created no unwanted noise, other then when the mod was on, and the pedal modulated the white noise from my amps distortion. Pretty much any setting on the pedal would work great. You can even turn down the mix and the delay knobs to get a reverb-like effect. This pedal can easily imitate the sounds of my favourite artists. According to the MXR website, Brad Delson, Kerry King, Alexi Laiho, Herman Li, Jim Root, Mark Morton, Matt Heafy, Paul Gilbert and Slash all own a Carbon Copy! The mod button is what really sold me on this pedal. The modulation adds more body and depth to chords. You can even set the modulation using the internal trim pots. Overall, a real great feature. The only problem I have is that the delays feed back into to each other pretty quickly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I feel that I can depend on the CC pedal. Its encased in metal and is built like a tank. Never have any of the knobs come loose. The only problem I have is the AC input. The hole is kinda mis-sized and the adapter easily un=plugs it self if the pedal gets bumped. To solve this I had too put some masking tape on it so it would stay in place. I would gig without a backup, but if it died, I'd probably just go without delay for the rest of the night... Not too big of a deal. // 8

Overall Impression: I play many types of music, from jazz to rock, blues to metal. I've been playing for two years, but don't underestimate me because of that. I know all my scales, improv, modes and such. This pedal is a great match for my playing. If it was stolen or lost, I would buy another one or save up for a time Machine. My favourite feature is the modulation switch. I compared the pedal to Ibanez and Maxon analog delays, and I ended up buying it because of the good price and the mod switch. This is a great pedal, buy it now! // 9

M-169 Carbon Copy Analog Delay Reviewed by: toyboxmonster, on july 08, 2009

Price paid: C$ 179

Purchased from: Lauzon Music

Ease of Use: The Carbon Copy is as simple as a delay can get. It featured only three knobs: "Regen" (feedback), "Mix" (dry/wet), and "Delay" (delay time). In addition, it includes a button which turns modulation on and off (modulation depth & speed can be adjusted via trimpots inside the pedal). The pedal comes with the standard no-nosense, single-sheet MXR manual which is informative but unnecessary considering how intuitive the controls are. It's very easy to dial in the sound you're looking for, and while it isn't as versatile as a Digital Delay like the DD-20 or the DL-4, it delivers everything that an analog delay should. // 10

Sound: The Carbon Copy is notorious for its darker, slightly murky repeats, which I is ideal for use with bass. When used on a bass, this pedal produces a tone far superior to that of any digital or analog delay I've tried. It preserves the rumbling low-end perfectly and is useful for creating subtle soundscapes. Used with a guitar, the Carbon Copy delivers gorgeous analog tones which lack the fuzzy noise of other delays such as the Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man. The "MOD" button provides a gentle chorusing quiver that does wonders when trying to achieve a spaced-out 60's tone. It does have a fairly short maximum delay time of 600 ms, which is a little restrictive, but long delay times aren't really what you look for in an analog pedal. I've found that the Carbon Copy can emitt a certain hiss when used in front of an amp, but it's compltelely silent in the effects loop. // 10

Reliability & Durability: If there's one company whose effects are durable, it's MXR. The Carbon Copy's enclosure is a die-cast brick that weighs about a ton. Like other MXR pedals, this oe will surely pass the test of time; I wouldn't be surprised if it were still fully finctional in a few decades. I highly recommend using an adaptor, as it seems to eat through batteries pretty fast. // 10

Overall Impression: For the most part, I play ambient music. I only really use the Carbon Copy when playing bass, as it is far superior to any other stompboxes as a bass delay. I often use it with an MXR El Grande, and it handles the fuzz very well. The subtle modulations and screeching oscillations are two features which make the Carbon Copy useful for noisy, atmospheric soundscapes. When I was looking into buying an analog delay, I was considering for the Carbon Copy and the Deluxe Memory Man. I chose the Carbon Copy because of the lessened noise and the bassier repeats; I must say that if I had been looking for a guitar delay, I would probably have gone for the DMM. // 10

M-169 Carbon Copy Analog Delay Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 29, 2011

Price paid: C$ 145

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Ease of Use: This pedal is operational by the means of 3 knobs, a button for the mod, and the adjustable trim pots inside the pedal in relation to the mod effect. The three knobs are Mix - This raises or lowers the volume of the repeats, Delay - Which adjusts the time in between the repeats, and Regen - which adjusts how many repeats there are. // 9

Sound: I use a modified Fender MIM Strat with cool rails in the bridge and a HOT rail in the neck plugged into a MXR Distortion 3... Into this pedal, and then into my Randall G375 combo. The sound is awesome. It is warm and murky, like your head is suspended underwater. The pedal does not sound bad in any setting except if you have the Regen knob turned to the max position... You can get some awesome sounds by experimenting with the regen at max and turning the delay knob to max and min. This delay has 600 milliseconds of regen time. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is hefty. It is made out of steel with exceptional quality. I could throw this at a brick wall without fearing the unit breaking. I could drop it out of my 5 storey apt... And not fear it breaking. Maybe I could run it over with a car and not fear it breaking (maybe). I haven't had it long enough to see if it conks out. // 9

Overall Impression: This is an affordable rugged beautiully constructed aesthetically pleasing pedal which sounds amazing. I haven't had it long enough to determine whether or not it is "road worthy" but I would imagine so considering the expense of its construction and weight. If I lost this pedal, I would replace it immediately. I love the fact that you can tweak the modulation effect on the repeats. This adds alot of versatility to a small stompbox. // 10

M-169 Carbon Copy Analog Delay Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 29, 2012

Price paid: C$ 140

Purchased from: local store

Ease of Use: It's very easy to get a good sound out of. The manual is breif, but, no need for it, if you know what you're doing. This is a delay pedal, the sounds are always delayed, but they're good delays. There could be more ways of buliding this pedal, like, put the power plug on the top, as its hard to find spots on my board that work. Gives a reason to be creative. // 9

Sound: I'm running an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra into a Dunlop VP-1 Volume, than, a Way Huge Green Rhino, chained to a Way Huge Pork Loin, and than a Way Huge Aquapuss (I'm a huge fan of Way Huge products, pardon the pun. After the array of Way Huge pedals, I'm running this delay unit. All running into a Hughes And Kettner 25th Anniversary Tube Edition Combo amp. This pedal is not noisy at all, unless you stomp the overdrives first. I'm basically using this pedal as a quarter note delay. The effects can be overwhelmed by the overdrive, at times. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely depend on this sturdy little pedal. I would gig with tghis pedal, without a backup. This little pedal is actually very tiny, fits into the palm of my hand. I step on this pedal alot, and nothing bad has happened. The footswitch seems to be easier to press, as is the case with most pedals. The LEDs are very bright, which is annoying on stage, as you go temporarily blind if you look down at it. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm a worship guitarist. This pedal works well for what I play at church. I've been playing for about 5 years, and, I can only get better, with practice. I own an SKB board which powers all my effects, without any issues. I wish I had asked how to remove the rubber bottoms, as they make sticking this pedal to the board very difficult. If this pedal was stole, I would get it again, as I really like the quality of MXR. I love the sounds this pedal can produce, and it's analog, so, I have no problems with it. Its true bypass as well, so no tone loss. The LED is very bright! Like, blindingly bright, on a dark stage, you cannot see the setting of this pedal. Two blindigly LEDs make this pedal hard to see at times. I don't like that it's so bright, but, the blue LED is pretty sweet, so I'll get over it. I compared this pedal to a BBE Two Timer. The Two Timer was expensive at the store, so I bought this instead, no regrets.

// 7

More MXR reviews rating category latest review
+ M-115 Distortion III 9.3 Guitar Effects 12/10/2014