M234 Analog Chorus Review

9.5
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
M234 Analog Chorus Reviewed by: JackSaints, on december 17, 2013

Purchased from: GAK

Ease of Use: There are five knobs on this pedal: Rate, level, depth, low and high. Low and High are obviously self-explanatory, but as for the rest: Level is the Volume, Rate is the speed and Depth is overall intensity. This is all explained in the manual, which keeps everything simple and to the point. There are also two output jacks - Mono and Thru. Mono is the regular one, THRU is for stereo mode. I have never used stereo mode, so I can't really comment on it. Five knobs means more twiddling, but it's easy to get a great sound straight out of the box and everything is easy enough to work out. // 9

Sound: I play sludge/doom/death metal but also use cleans a lot. And I abuse spacey effects pedals on everything on a regular basis. This pedal is just about perfect for me, because there are a wealth of different sounds to get from it. I use this in front of the amp, incidentally. You can have this sounding high and subtle, or low and subtle, or high and flanger-like, or low and flanger-like, or if you turn everything up, you can just make your sound become a bizarre spaced out... something. You can have it neither low nor high, too. My personal favourite is to have it set up subtly between low and high, but I tweak it around a lot depending on what I want. The short of it is, there are a lot of sounds you can get from this pedal. Also, you get a volume boost when using it, which I think is great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gigged with this, but if I ever gig, I will and I doubt I will need a backup. I use this pedal a lot every day and it copes just fine with being stomped on on a regular basis. It's not as weighty and solid-feeling as my other MXR pedals, but it still feels strong and I think it would take a good beating to damage this pedal. The paint would need to be scratched with a knife before you could chip it, so I'd say this is a reliable pedal for sure. So unless you purposefully try to damage this pedal, there is no reason why it won't last you a good long time. // 9

Overall Impression: As I have mentioned in the "Sound" section, this pedal fits my brand of sludgey-spaced out stuff perfectly. This is absolutely my favourite pedal and I love it an awful lot and use it on just about everything I play. So if I lost it, naturally I would get a new one. I would also be heartbroken. One of the things I most love about it is the versatility. Sometimes I want a full-blown space trip from a pedal, other times I want things to be more understated. This pedal gives me all of that and more. I've never tried a different chorus pedal... but I'm not likely to, either. It would feel like cheating. Also, it's a really cool colour. // 10

More MXR reviews rating category latest review
+ M-78 Custom Badass '78 Distortion 8.1 Guitar Effects 06/02/2014