ZW-38 Black Label Chorus Review

manufacturer: MXR date: 01/19/2012 category: Guitar Effects
MXR: ZW-38 Black Label Chorus
Very easy to use, standard chorus controls plus a level control for the overall volume of the effect and two knobs for treble and bass. It achieves the most common chorus sounds, from ballads, "Come As You Are", etc. Great warm sound, non synthetic.
 Ease of Use: 10
 7.9
 8.8
 6.9
review (1) pictures (3) 7 comments vote for this gear:
ZW-38 Black Label Chorus Reviewed by: klugiboogie, on january 19, 2012

Price paid: € 109

Ease of Use: Very easy to use, standard chorus controls plus a level control for the overall volume of the effect and two knobs for treble and bass. The manual includes just three basic settings, and a description of the controls, but I guess you wan't need anyway. Still waiting for an answering email from Jim Dunlop (see below). // 10

Sound: I play an AMStratocaster on a Fener Vibro Champ, mostly clean to slightly distorted sounds. No noise at all. The pedal sounds already great when all controls are at 12 o'clock, and I peak it therefrom. It achieves the most common chorus sounds, from ballads, "Come As You Are", etc. Great warm sound, non synthetic. What I dislike is the volume boost when you turn it on (or the volume drop when you turn it off - I don't know). That's really a bummer. I've already wrote an email to Jim Dunlop, to find out if the same volumeboost also appears on the MXR analog delay. The analog delay was the pedal that I wanted to buy in the first place, but it wasn't available in my guitar store. So maybe I return it and order the other one. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Looks very durable, not as well as an boutique pedal but still ok. The socket for the power supply is on the right side which I find very bad placed because it requires more space on my pedalboard. The ducttape sticks nicely on the bottom of the pedal. // 8

Overall Impression: I use it mostly for Pink Floyd stuff and to get a thicker sound for my chord jingle. I really like the sound of it and the many but simple controls to tweak it. If this got stolen, I would get another. Cons: Volumedrop/boost. Well that was my first review, have mercy for my bad English I come from Austria, the land which brought you Arnold Schwarzenegger - also sorry for that. // 8

More MXR reviews rating category latest review
+ M-115 Distortion III 9.3 Guitar Effects 12/10/2014