Guitar Rig Mobile Review

manufacturer: Native Instruments date: 09/28/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Native Instruments: Guitar Rig Mobile
Guitar Rig Mobile is a simple solution USB Audio Interface for electric guitar and bass. It comes with included software.
 Ease of Use: 8
 5.7
 5.8
 5.5
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Guitar Rig Mobile Reviewed by: everjump, on september 28, 2010

Price paid: € 90

Purchased from: thomann.de

Ease of Use: Guitar Rig Mobile is a simple solution USB Audio Interface for electric guitar and bass. It comes with included software, Guitar Rig 4 Essential, Kore Player and some drums plug-ins. The software includes 19 cabinets and 27 extraordinary effects, which is quite enough for anyone to experiment with guitar sound. It also features metronome and recorder. The software is easy to use, to add amps and effects you simply pull and drop the components. Also GR4 Essential has presets to some famous guitar tunes. My software version was 4.0 and I'm using Windows7 64-bit operative system. Guitar Rig Mobile also supports Mac OS, Windows XP and Vista. // 8

Sound: Guitar Rig covers any kind of music. It got some great effects and some recognizable cabinets. On paper it might sound great, but the software is just a demo-version of the Original Guitar Rig 4. It's not the number of effects and amps that ruins the demo version, it's the quality of sound. Noises in the output line starts to annoy really fast. Not only that, some times it would just stop for some seconds, and only then play off the riff I played at the moment it stopped. I had to upgrade my software to Guitar Rig 4 pro for 50 euros, to get more out of my Guitar Rig Mobile. At the time I upgraded the software Native Instruments had a special offer, 50% off. Luckily all the sound issues were gone after upgrading Guitar Rig software and I had no problems from there on. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Guitar Rig Mobile is a small device, it does not take much space, so you can take it with you where ever you go. The device is well built, but I don't like the way USB-port stick out. It looks like USB-cable is not properly in the device and about to fall off. Even though it's well built, it's made of plastic, so I would be more careful with it. // 6

Overall Impression: Guitar Rig Mobile is a good concept with some great ideas and solutions, that makes it so much fun to use. Effects and cabinets in the software is mostly what any guitar player would want. However the software can't deliver the sound Native Instruments promises. To get most out of your device you'll have to buy the pro version of Guitar Rig(and it will cost you about 100 euros). The other software that was included, kore player and some drums plug-in, I never used since I purchased device. And by the way the plug-ins for drums can not be installed because of some technical problems with kore player. I discovered on the official Native Instruments forum, that many users had the same difficulties and there were no solution to this problem yet. If it was stolen or lost, I would try out Guitar Rig Session or Guitar Rig Kontrol before buying a new one, even though Kontrol can be too expensive for my taste. I use my Guitar Rig Mobile with Ibanez RG320DX and it fits well. I can get out of it any sound I like, whether it's sound with heavy distortion, soft delay sound or warm soft jazz sound. It's for practice and recording. If you're about to buy Guitar Rig Mobile, be ready to upgrade your software for about 100 euros. Because without the pro version of software, the noises and sound latency can ruin the whole experience. I would recommend it if your play or practice a lot at home, don't want to spend much on effect-pedals and recording equipment. But before buying, look through other alternatives before deciding to buy this one. Overfall impression is 5/10 because of the Essential, I can't tell much positive about since it comes without pro version of the software. It got many great features, but with the technical sound issues there is not much to tell about all those features. // 5

More Native Instruments reviews rating category latest review